Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
edit: gently caress, beaten like 5 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I'm already dreading the K8 regular to K9 regular upgrade because I also need a new computer and gently caress doing everything twice.

K8 regular to K9U is a bit too rich for my blood :(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

I don't see much of a point of collecting VSTi stuff

The only thing to collect are Kontakt libraries :v:

quote:

you'll almost certainly know what you need and why you need it - and as far as VSTs go, unless you have some special reason or interest that justifies collecting, in general it's much better to nail down the tools you need and just get really used to them and grasping how they fit into and improve your overall workflow.

The biggest attraction of a demo plugin is having 100+ new presets to play with which'll make you feel happy initially, and then you figure out "oh, also 3 osc, also 2 filters, also ADSR" - *yawn* and the rush is gone. Then you calculate what you paid per preset and feel bad about it. One way to fight it is to think of 'm as physical things so you'll stop filling your studio with similar stuff.

Though with synths there's the argument that since you can't exchange say, filters between plugins making certain sounds may be easier/faster on some plugins than on others.

I wouldn't know what plugins to add unless I wanted to support the developer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Isn't that similar to 8DIO's Hybrid Tools?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Pianoteq has a physically modeled piano that kicks your CPU in the nuts but does not consume a gazillion gigabytes of disk space.

Kontakt's own library is pretty good but it's a gateway drug, NI really wants you to buy Komplete.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Snagged all 4 of them, I hate dongles with the power of a thousand suns but software Ilok (besides looking like early 2002 InstallShield) isn't too bad. Just don't forget that if you ever want to build a new computer, make sure you use it to deactivate the plugins on the old one because otherwise it won't let you activate them on the new one :

MicroShift and PrimalTap together can do wiiiiiide 80s poo poo but I'm most impressed with Little Alterboy (which was for free a few months before that). The pitching is not sophisticated (it would not surprise me if it runs a recompiled H3000 algo or something) but it's hella fun and it's dead easy to drop in on some R&B acapella to make SoundCloud stoner 808 beats.

Wasn't that impressed with Little Radiator but hey I got to buy off my guilt for this year again I guess

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/venom-vb-303.html

ABL and Phoscyon would be better choices because of 64-bits and multiple formats and proper support, though. See if you can score a secondhand license on KVR.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

The UI on these things is what's getting me. Maybe it's my inexperience (maybe 2-3 days worth), but all I see when I look at Synth1 is sub det FMoct spd tempo key track amt A D A D S A W A S D A S D. I'm at a total loss. :psypop:

You will have to learn these abbreviations by heart anyway.

Here's a primer: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Let's say I want to buy something like Orbit by Wide Blue Sound. Now, I own nothing Kontakt-related. Would this come with the Kontakt player?
No. But Kontakt Player can be downloaded for free.

Usually these companies spell out pretty explicitly that you need the full version (if you do). In this case, somewhere at the bottom of the page it says:

"Orbit requires Kontakt or free Kontakt Player 5.5+ to run."

quote:

What are my options if I wanted to 'buy' Kontakt, and what are the feature differences between paid and free Kontakt?
Distinguish rather between Kontakt (full) and Kontakt (player). Kontakt (full) is basically a sampling IDE and authoring tool.

Kontakt player is for playback only; that means you can't create your own sample-based instruments.

quote:

Anyway, Orbit sounds reallllly nice :allears:
If you want to buy Kontakt and Reaktor and say, Massive or something, getting Komplete is cheaper.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
NI loves you for doing this because all the new fancy poo poo they offer each year with Komplete means you're paying them another 200 bucks (or 400 if you have Komplete Ultimate) just for the privilege of having things up to date. It gets worse in the sense that inbetween they're rolling out new stuff which may or may not end up in the next version of Komplete (while Reaktor 6 is a pretty safe bet, some sample libraries will only be in Ultimate) which you also want to have.

That's why I just wait until the new version rolls around, then I wait for the big Summer/Christmas/Black Friday Everything 50% Off Sale and then buy an update, but I agree that's sort of like saying meth isn't that bad because at least you aren't mainlining krokodil into your eyeballs.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 4, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I like VintageVerb better than RC24/RC48. But perhaps my ears are broken,

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Here's an example of waveshaping.

This is a simple form of distortion that you get for free with anything digital (i.e. anything that converts incoming voltages to a series of numbers). If the voltage gets too high, just cut it off because you can't store numbers bigger than 2^16 or something.

Now imagine that we're doing something more interesting. We have something that can store numbers bigger than 2^16, but all the voltages that end up higher than a number don't get flattened but instead flipped upside down, resulting in something like this (3rd graph)

Also, read http://www.keithmcmillen.com/blog/simple-synthesis-part-8-wavefolding/

You could also make a waveshaper with a comparator. Signal comes in, if it's higher than value x it'll be at +5v, if it's lower than that, set it to -5v. With this, you could turn a saw wave into a square wave. If you can modify value x, then you can also turn that saw into a pulse wave. And if you can modify value x with an LFO, you suddenly have pulsewidth modulation.

Analog oscillators come in the shape of triangle and saw cores, and waveshapers are basically necessary to offer you more waveforms. You could also just get yourself an IC that produces a square wave and turn that back into a saw with a capacitor - see http://electricdruid.net/roland-juno-dcos/

The neat thing is that if they're just in the circuitry already you can just tap the outputs of every waveshaper and let it produce a saw + square simultaneously, only with a single oscillator. If you then put the saw output into a flipflop (which acts basically a very dumb comparator) you can get a square wave derived from the main oscillator an octave lower for bass. Since everything is derived from a single oscillator you don't have the issue like with 2 oscillator analogs that two identical waveforms are eventually going to drift out of tune (and therefore out of phase) enough to cancel eachother out, so it's pretty great for bass.

And now you know how SH101s and Junos (6, 60, 106, Alpha 1/2, MKS50) work.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=460687

Really nice-sounding if limited monosynth for grabs. Vote on which filter you like best.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

how does one actually use Absynth? I have it installed but it's pretty much indecipherable as my 'Decoding WinAmp 2 Skins' skills have atrophied.

Check https://www.adsrsounds.com/absynth-tutorials/beginners-tutorial-series-oscillators-in-absynth/

It was designed by someone who insisted on four decimal accuracy for pretty much everything. Hexagons can be clickdragged - leftmost is coarse adjustment, right is fine.

All oscillator waveforms can be used as LFO waveforms. You can draw your own or use additive synthesis to generate them. However, that also means they are locked in phase unless you modulate phase so that's no sweet freerunning goodness you get with decent analog modeling.

What else do you have or what are you used to?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

This might be outside of the scope of this thread, so I apologize if it is but would anyone know of a good place to start if I was interested in developing my own plugins?

Consider Reaktor and/or Synthmaker (or even Max/MSP with Gen) to do prototyping of stuff.

Start brushing up on your math and C/C++ skills.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Max/MSP is also a completely standalone environment and you can for instance build plugins with it that you could run standalone. Also, you get lower level access with Gen.

Max for Live is a restricted version that is compatible but runs only in Live and can only build Live devices.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
There is still SLOO and SLOR, right?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MrSargent posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if there were any affordable Autotune plugins with the Black Friday sale going on. The standard Autotune by Antares is still $350 which is way more than I want to spend. Hoping to spend around $100 for something that can do subtle autotune to T-pain.

I got mine from Waves and it works fine. Now for $69 but I got mine for $29 in one of their sales. Also allows MIDI controlled pitch.

Little Alterboy is neat and now $49 but not what I would call fully featured autotune.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Form lets you do less with a sample than Iris. Alchemy is completely different; see it more as the poor man’s Omnisphere in that has different synthesis methods per layer.

wayfinder posted:

Welp, looks like I just picked up the V-Station & Bass Station bundle at plugin boutique for 15 bucks... And now I'm looking at ANA 2. :sigh:

Air Hybrid 3 is literally one quid and every expansion too, thanks for the tip

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
For playing melodies I need keys. For moving knobs - nah. To me it's just not that much faster.

Perhaps it'd make a difference with properly pre-mapped controllers like Komplete Kontrol or something but I've got a Roland A300 Pro here and it's just too much :effort:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

slowfreq posted:

What is the difference between all of the EQ VSTs besides looks? Is there anything that makes one EQ VST better than another, besides more bands?

Hot take: all digital parametric EQs are the same.

http://ericbeam.com/?p=361

I have Equivocate because it matches stuff and for all the rest I just use EQ8. Fabfilters UIs are really nice though and I like their Saturn plugin a lot.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2017

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I know it might sound like a shot in the dark, but does anyone have the Spectrasonic's Omnisphere 2? Considering it's about 400 quid, I don't expect anyone to have it unless you work in a studio or do professional work.

lol

do you know what amateurs making blips and bloops spend on eurorack

400 is nothing, shitloads of people have komplete ultimate legally

that said i don’t have it, should’ve gotten it instead of alchemy

also try their facebook page

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

but i still want omnisphere but still gently caress you

heck, same

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

it's astonishing to me that they're still pushing that line after...some years now?

Eric Persing will salt your earth if you even think of making a D-50 Kontakt instrument, that's how far back this goes.

I managed to snag a D50 library for Kontakt, but within 48 hours it was shut down. This is less of an issue now that Roland did their D05 and cloud thing if all you want to get are the actual sounds.

re: EULA: eBay is filled with people who buy a Fantom, hook it up to SampleRobot or Autosampler, then let it run until all presets are copied and then sell it as a bootleg sample CD for 30 bucks. I can understand that kind of thing because basically you could release a bunch of "songs" consisting of single notes as .wav files and be able to distribute things legally, so I guess they want those loopholes covered.

quote:

it must be working for them if they're selling enough that they don't need to amend it.

Omnisphere is basically easy mode for soundtrack composers. Throw 3 notes together, pad, arp, some rhythmic poo poo, and you have filler for series.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 7, 2018

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

I do know my way around it, but I could be a MUCH better sound designer than I am, so that's my overall goal; be a better sound designer through knowing Serum 100%.

Check this library:

http://www.echosoundworks.com/coda

it's amazing how many sounds work by using a kick drum wavetable, and there are lots of tricks that (ab)use the noise oscillator.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Vengeance Sound Avenger.
UVI Falcon.

Avenger has some hilarious Amiga cracktro presets :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Speaking of drums, what are the good Drum & Bass and Jungle VSTs?

So take a second right here and deconstruct the meaning of this sentence you posted.

A very important thing is to realize that "VST" is not a catch-all term. There are no EDM VSTs, there are EDM sample libraries for percussion, EDM-styled presets for virtual analog* (VA) synthesizers (and if those are almost exclusively used to make EDM, then they sometimes are called "EDM VSTs" but they're really not).

There are no orchestral VSTs**, there is Kontakt - the 800 pound gorilla in the room again - and there are orchestral sample libraries.

There are drum 'n bass and jungle sample libraries. Rhythms come in loops, or in individual instruments. There are even construction kits - just sample libraries with stuff in different keys and a more limited scope. The sounds can be had by purchasing presets for VAs that are designed referring to the drum 'n bass cliches and tropes - the Reese, the Z-plane stuff, etc. There are MIDI files where someone already figured out the entire groove of a rhythm and it's up to you to pick the instruments, etc.

It makes no sense to bundle this into a VST because the material requires a diversity of software (samplers, VAs, your DAW) to get it working. It's much easier to split this up into its separate components, so you can go to Loopmasters and buy a little from column A, a little from column B, and they'd like you to come back because sample packs age badly, usually, so for the new year you'll have to buy new stuff again.

All of this is essentially trading time for money, because it means you can spend more attention on the music (or your social media) and you won't have to nerd out for years to learn this stuff or get lost in the details while you just want to make a track. That is fine - no judgement here.

I hope this makes your searches a bit more effective. You just need a sampler, and what makes it make drum 'n bass is what you fill it with - but you need that sampler anyway.

* or wavetable, but I didn't want to write out all variations on subtractive synthesis
** I probably missed someone doing a Pianoteq equivalent for orchestra but you get my point

also, http://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com - a reverse-engineered (offline) version of the timestretching algorithm. I generally trust the obsessive people without marketing department over the not-so-obsessive ones when it comes to authenticity.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 14, 2018

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rusty Kettle posted:

It honestly does feel like cheating using sample libraries and stuff.
There is no cheating in music, there is only lying, and you're the person to live with the consequences of lying. If I lift a piece of a MIDI file and lie to myself that I could totally play this, or if I sing and help myself a bit with Auto-tune, etc. - then that's my burden to bear. The more truthful you are, the less you have to memorize. It's not even a value judgement about the tools, it's what you tell yourself.

quote:

Bands and violinists practice for years to do what an rear end in a top hat with a bunch of licenses can do in his spare time but short of outright plagiarism all's fair in art I guess. The trade-off is that I'll never perform any of this live, unless I spend hours trying to learn how to play my own songs. Hell, for all I know, a lot of it is unplayable live.
And there you strike at the difference: in order to suspend disbelief ("no human can play this") it helps to have experience with the instrument; what are the limits?

quote:

It doesn't feel genuine somehow, even though I am somewhat happy with the end result. Though soundtrack composers have been doing this for years so maybe I'm just feeling this because of the genre...

In any case, I started with gushing about a plug-in and ended with an ethical dilemma I'm trying to figure out. Any thoughts?

There is only one person who you can't fool during the creation of the act, and that's yourself. When you play the keys or click the notes in with the mouse, or record at half the tempo, you know you're not a violin player and you know you're not playing the violin. If someone hears a gigabyte piano library, they're not going to have a clue that it wasn't a real piano, unless you ruin the illusion and use black MIDI or something like that.

Any kind of grognard will pay more attention to what you use rather than what the end result is. These people are not your fans and won't be. Their opinion counts for nothing, and they have nothing of value to add; they just want to see whether you're going to fit their in-group by having the correct equipment.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Topic change (not that I don't find the current topic fascinating, because I do, and think it should continue actually), holy poo poo, this is a small but awesome thing that makes me love Serum more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1CdoVCuhdE

It even has precedent:

http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_manuals/waldorf_microwave_speech_robot.pdf

tldr: there was a way to get Atari synthesized speech into the Waldorf MicroWave which was not the first but one of the "affordable" wavetable synths on the market, and it involved a boatload of fiddling.

Now you just type poo poo.

Yay progress!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

blorpy posted:

What's a good VST with some acoustic drum sounds? I've been eyeing Steven Slate Drums but I've also found EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums, BFD and Superior Drummer. Some of these are way outside my price range for now.
What amount of detail do you want?

quote:

Also, I'd like to gently caress them up a little. Should I be looking for a DAW with stuff like reverb/saturation/distortion/ADSR?

Not like that. A DAW can act as the following:

- sequencer
- mixing desk
- patchbay

The latter should be seen in a very generalized way. So, you have a set of triggers that sends MIDI to your computer. Your DAW picks those notes up and then sends the notes to the plugin (all VSTs are plugins, but not all plugins are VSTs, but the word has almost gone the way of Kleenex by now I guess). That's the patchbay part.

So as a result of the notes, the plugin produces audio. So, most plugins will have something like a bit of reverb to simulate mic bleed and the room itself and it'll be built in, but if you're looking for exotic filters and specific distortions, you usually have to hook up something separately.

DAWs usually come with a lot of effects built in which can already be incredibly capable; so before you splurge on say, 3rd party reverbs, check what the built-in stuff can do, and if you find any shortcomings, you'll know you have to compensate for that. But they should not be a final selling point; I don't know anyone who exclusively uses their DAWs native effects unless they're using an older version of Reason that won't even do rack extensions.

What you then do is apply effects on the entire channel. That effect will process all the audio coming out of the plugin (and in a way this can also be seen as patchbay-like functionality). You can throw a dozen plugins or so on a track if you want to, depending on how powerful your computer is, and each will take the audio of the previous one and send it to the next.

But that's still thinking in a very limited way; because some plugins will also present themselves as having multiple outputs, one for each instrument (all of the samples were usually recorded entirely separately anyway, so why not?). So if the kick needs a boatload of distortion, and the cymbal needs a ton of reverb, you can do exactly that.

quote:

I don't have a DAW yet. Between the drums and processing I'd like to keep my budget to $200-$300. Is that realistic?

If you use something like Reaper, your biggest investment will be in the drum plugin or sample library (because Kontakt + NI's Abbey Road libraries is also an option, but the package is not going to be cheap - however, the expansion possibilities are then pretty limitless).

Choose what fits your genre and how much expandability you think you're going to need. It's always possible to mix and match and spend more later; i.e. if you want to use DFH and Steven Slate side-by-side, you can. The DAW doesn't care where the MIDI notes come from.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 6, 2018

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I still have no idea how Roli stays in the black, but at least it’s not the musical equivalent of Juicero

e: fxpansion is not that big and I think they weren’t in the healthiest financial straits because DCAM 2 took ages, Cypher 2 was announced like 3 years ago already

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
$30 for SoundForge, holy poo poo

now you too can sound like Burial :v:

4.5 was entirely my poo poo in 1998 and I never got along with the hotkeys in Wavelab. Audacity has some intolerable nonsense w.r.t. selecting stuff.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
SF is an audio editor, not a DAW. Audacity is a better comparison in terms of functionality and operation.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

I use Soundforge for about five simple things, but there's nothing that does a better job of those five things.
agreed

None of these things are rocket science to clone in Audacity, it’s just that they don’t seem to want to. Just proper markers, locking of markers and regions and clipping to those would be such an improvement.

quote:

e: Also I don't think Soundforge has added a meaningful new feature since the 90s, they just slightly tweak the UI every couple of years and charge everyone $250 for the update.
also agreed

This is also the downside of that $30 offer because if the upgrade is meaningful you’re on the hook.

The champion of seamless loops is Antares Infinity but good luck running and upgrading that :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

:what: This is the first time I even hear about this.

SoundToys is awesome because I don't know how they do these discounts or the Pay What You Want stuff and still stay in business, and everything just sounds really great.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.vengeance-sound.com/plugins.php?sub=Vengeance%20Producer%20Suite%20Avenger

But yeah no obvious standouts. Serum is just really versatile and I love how it combines Massive and Absynth - the latter’s approach to harmonics-based waveform design.

The onboard reverb could be better though, it feels kinda textbook right now.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

field balm posted:

So whats the cheapest way to get reaktor?

Seconding Radiapathy: check KVRAudio's marketplace to see if someone's selling a secondhand license. NI is really chill about license transfers.

quote:

I dont really want any of the other ni stuff, tbh

E: actually i wouldnt mind fm8 either

The rule of thumb is sort of - if you want Kontakt and another plugin, buying Komplete is much more sensible, because Kontakt alone is 400 and K11 regular is 600, and the extra stuff you get is really worth it even if you don't see yourself using it much. I can't recall the last time I opened up Absynth, to be honest, but then again I own already too many plugins and Serum is capable of taking that role.

NI really really wants you to buy the whole shebang because then you can be enticed to pay 200 euros to upgrade every year or so (or less during summer and fall promotions). It would not surprise me if they're waiting for Roland to see how that cloud poo poo works out because I'd wager they'd want to move to subscription-based in a heartbeat.

However, you just want Reaktor and perhaps FM8. That adds up to 350, and 600 is then still too far away to make the jump.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
8DIO library for Kontakt - full version only! - for $28.

https://8dio.com/instrument/the-new-rhythmic-aura-1-for-kontakt-vst-au-aax-samples/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

bad news

Valhalla just released a delay plugin so I guess we all are out 50 bucks now cos we gotta buy it.

but poo poo, it was only 50 bucks

I like that it sort of sounds more coherent than Satin which tends to flange and chorus for me

I don't have ValhallaPlate because I could just not justify another reverb after buying Twangstrom and VVV is permanently welded to my aux sends anyway

"Homestar Bladerunner"

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i63UuzokYBs

What it's doing at 1:40 in Ghost mode is crayyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
$50 is the regular price. ValhallaDSP doesn't do discounts though.