Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Personally I'd avoid Ultimate for the price, that extra money could go towards some sweet non-NI plugins, synths, sound libraries, drum machines, etc.

Seconding this. I got the Ultimate upgrade as a birthday present to myself, and I'm kind of regretting it. Session strings pro is way better than the strings samples I had before, but I am not impressed with Alicia's Keys at all, which is surprising since it has good reviews for sound quality. Honestly, I think the New York Grand that comes with Komplete is better. However, the new bass guitar kontakt stuff you get with Ultimate is freaking amazing, so I think I broke about even for $400 (got a deal at GC) if I only really use those two products extensively. Then again, I haven't had a chance to really thoroughly explore Razor, Evolve, or the new compressors yet, so I still might be sitting on a gold mine.

Komplete, from what I have experienced, is pretty much the best value you can get for some truly excellent plugins. Ultimate, however, seems to have a much lower usefulness:cost ratio. I wouldn't call it a waste of money; it's just not as good of a deal as Komplete is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Are all the sounds and whatever contained in the USB drive? I could see that being a long term benefit.

Basically, the external hard drive acts like one giant install disc. You don't actually run the plugins from the drive though, so there's not much benefit besides easier install.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
What do you guys think about Alchemy vs. Absynth? It seems like the idea is the same, but I'm just getting into the ridiculously complicated world of Absynth and it seems like you can do ANYTHING. The granular stuff is freaking nuts!

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005

mr_package posted:

Embertone is another great small vendor, just a few instruments now but their solo trumpet is amazing ($30! wtf!?) and their violin demo sounds the best I've heard.
https://soundcloud.com/embertone/embertone-solo-violin

Thank you so much for this. I want everything, and I can actually afford it!

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

You know, the thing that wasn't in Komplete that I use most is Alicia's Keys - it's a very distinct sound from the rest of the pianos in Komplete, and it's pretty much exactly the perfect piano sound for a lot of the stuff I do. Very mellow and dark. Reminds me of my mother's old piano.

I also got Session Horns a little while ago. It's decent.

Alicia's Keys and Session Strings Pro are both pretty awesome, and make Ultimate worth it since they make up the price difference. I thought about session horns, but the stuff I want to do doesn't really sound like the examples they put up. I guess you could describe what I want as "cinematic" sounding, though I wouldn't be arranging scores. Unfortunately, the sample libraries I like the sound of are all too expensive to justify occasional use.

Edit: If you bought Ultimate more than a few months ago, you probably can get Vintage drummer. They sent me an email a while ago with download links, since it's just a reworked version of the Abbey Road Drummer Series.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

NI is saying this isn't true. Sure you're not thinking of 60's Drummer?

Whoops, I was thinking of vintage compressors. Sorry about that. That's what happens when you post from work and don't check later to make sure.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005

Nermal. posted:

I hope so because I've had so many problems with Battery 3 I stopped using it.

Native Instruments, for me, has been like cars from Jaguar throughout history. Beautiful, tons of features, pricey, arguably one of the top of the line... but when you start the thing up, you really have no idea what's going to work and what isn't that day.

Interesting. I have not had that experience at all and have nothing but good things to say about Battery 3 and NI products in general. Do you use mac or PC, out of curiosity?

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
I run Battery in Windows 7 through Studio One, and h_double runs it on a Mac without any problems, so it would make sense that it's likely a Logic issue. Unfortunately, that doesn't give you any sort of fix, since if your like me someone would have to pry your DAW from your cold dead hands before you switch to anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
Just picked up the Komplete 8->10 upgrade for 177ish with the 'group' code on JRR. I figure it's worth it for Horns, the Giant, and Monark, which are things I've been kiiiiiind of wanting, but didn't think it was worth it to buy before. Thanks for the tip folks.

Edit: Have they fixed battery 4? I remember hearing that you were better off sticking with Battery 3 when it first came out.