Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Anveo posted:

NI's Analog Dreams is free until the end of the month.

Is that the same thing that is in Komplete Start? Or is it a more fully featured version of what they give you in Start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:siren: Iris 2 is $10 right now! :siren:

Get on this poo poo, it's incredible!

Nice -- thanks for the heads up. At $10 I feel like I can't afford not to try it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Izotope Neutron 3 Elements is free at Plugin Boutique with the code N3EREMIX.

They also have a separate deal running where RX 7 Elements is free if you buy something (has to be something you pay for -- buying "Neutron 3 Elements" for free doesn't count).

EDIT: While checking out there, I found myself reading about Scaler 2, which seems like it could be kind of fun to play around with, although I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it, and I could also see it being not as much fun in practice as it looks -- like maybe it's more fun to just play around with these things yourself and figure out what sounds right. Anyone tried this one out, or the first version of it?

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 15, 2020

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

it's such a shame how fucky all this stuff is really and that things like OS and version numbers are still such an issue in this day and age.
As I'm sure all 15 people in this subforum are sick of hearing, I've used Cubase for the past few years and I've seen they are moving away from the dongle soon and using... :iiam: instead, with a risk of subscription model too.
I don't like monthly subscription models at all (if I can pay anything like car insurance etc yearly I will do as I find it easier to manage my money that way with one big payment every twelve months rather than a bunch of dribbles monthly), though I understand the business reasons-as far as I am concerned Cubase and Komplete are already subscription models that I pay once a year for.
I also understand that music software ain't cheap and that stuff like rent-to-own for Serum makes it much more accessible, which I'm all for. It just doesn't work for me personally.
I get why a lot of people don't like dongles, especially if you have a laptop with limited USB ports: for me it's not an issue and the physical elicenser itself is small and inobtrusive and compared to online poo poo like iLok that somehow is still linked to motherboard too is much easier. Sorting out Slate Drums after a PC upgrade was gross, whereas for Cubase it was
"here is my dongle with my license"
"OK cool bruv, no worries, carry on"

Has Steinberg said anything at all about what the new model will be? I've not been playing really close attention to their announcements about this, but the dongle has never bothered me, whereas periodically I would get weird errors back when I their elicenser thing for Cubase LE or whatever came with my UR44 -- never had a single issue since moving over to the dongle. I generally prefer to use Cubase when I'm just wanting to sit down and record stuff and mess around with effects -- it feels a lot more intuitive to me than Ableton -- but if they do some weird subscription model that doesn't work smoothly like the dongle, man, that would be a bummer.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Plugin Boutique has Iris 2 for $15:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/prod...u223-KKW0KqWKT8

I can't claim to have spent enough time with this and Pigments 3 to give an in depth comparison, but Iris 2 has been a lot of fun to play around with -- I've certainly gotten at least $15 worth of fun out of it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

I do like the Vst itself but it's not really suited for on the fly jamming. Loading samples from the browser is a bit wack, and I find the 6 tracks a little limiting, but having said that, it's like a decade old and once you get the hang of it you can build enough variations for a song quickly then "play" by triggering with midi notes.
With some inventive finagling with the square LFOs to amplitude, you can alternate between sounds on a single track which I'll do with closed hats.

The synth engines can get really interesting, and being able to apply effects to individual hits is awesome. I hope they do an out-of-nowhere overhaul like we got with Stutteredit, it's so close to being amazing, and for its time it absolutely was.

Plus the sound libraries are sensibly categorised and you can use them in anything, they're just wavs.

This was sounding pretty great, particularly at that price, but when I logged into pluginboutique, turns out I already own it. This is probably a sign I should be using my VSTs more, and looking for VST deals less.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Moogs posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a way to share your desktop and remotely collaborate on a project in a DAW? Closest I’ve found is screen share with audio on Zoom but I can’t get the audio to play through my headphones real time AND be shared through zoom. I’ve tried hacky workarounds but they always result in a delay, which is a real problem for music…

Steinberg makes something called VST Connect which seems to do this:

https://new.steinberg.net/vst-connect/

It looks like it comes with Cubase Pro but can also be bought separately. I haven't tried it -- somebody recommended looking into it during the pandemic and we never got around to it -- but there appears to be a free trial.

Edit: I haven't tried, not I have tried it.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 27, 2021

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

Don't sleep on Komplete Kontrol (which is free and included in every version on Komplete) if you're after an equivalent to Lives Simpler/Cubase's sample tracks etc that is DAW agnostic.
It's effectively the sampler engine from Maschine and for single samples, not multis, I'm finding it's rapidly becoming my go to, especially as you can chain pretty much all your effects after it in a nice tidy package.
Yes it benefits from having one of NIs controllers but I can't say I've noticed any significant impact on cpu performance from hosting any of my Vsts in it.

I keep trying to remember to start experimenting with Komplete Kontrol, but whenever I boot up Cubase I end up doing something instead. Maybe today is the day.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 20, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

I have the tiny m32 controller and a maschine mikro, and tbh there isn't much difference between using these or just kb+m so whilst they are nice and integrate as well, they are not as fundamental to the user experience as it may seem.

So you use the Maschine Mikro while you're doing all this in Cubase? That sounds interesting -- I'm mostly just recording guitar or bass DI into Cubase, or using a keystep for keyboard stuff, and have a Launchpad X I mess around within Ableton, but not enough to have justified picking it up. I had always figured the NI hardware was just for messing around in their software, and hadn't really made the connection that it could be useful to use while using KK within Cubase. The m32 feels like it would be duplicative of the Keystep, but the mikro seems like it could fun, as I watch this video.

I hear you on the time that gets lost when you're just browsing through a lot of VSTs trying to remember which ones do what sounds. I need to look more into using KK.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Nice -- thank you for the detailed write up. Very interesting. I think I'll keep my eye out for deals on the Micro -- sounds like it would be very handy.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

petit choux posted:

Old dead man needs his beeps and boops

I'm really just a bunch of ROM. It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess. But I ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me. Your AI, it just might. But it ain't no way human.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

The 3 noise engineering modes on my Microfreak get as much playtime as everything else combined. That Bass voice with the noise is fascinating, especially for... leads.

Technically a VST so it counts for this thread:
The new modulated multi fx unit in Cubase 12 is the absolute bomb. Its basically a bunch of the Cubase stock effects sellotaped to Xfer's LFO Tool, each module gets its own discrete LFO curve and timing so if you want a 16th note looping pseudo-S&H step sequenced bandpass filter going into a bitcrusher that slowly reduces bit rate over 8bars whilst a delay's repeats get faster and faster, you can do that now. And midi note triggerable too.
Or you know, finally just have a time synced lfo on your filter like everything else has had for a decade.

Oh man -- that reminds me I still need to play around with that in my copy of Artist 12. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone have a particular video they like that explains NI's Playbox? I just upgraded from Komplete 13 to 14, and so I'm playing around with this and having trouble wrapping my head around it.

I know it just has the 8 notes you play and you're getting chords, and it's not like I'm going to use it for leads (I don't think), but I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm supposed to do with it, or how to get into it I guess.

Any particularly good videos on this one?