Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Make a reservation at Little Bear if you can, otherwise come get on the waitlist for a walk-in seating and wait half an hour or so at Halfway Crooks across the street. Ask for Charles, I'm usually around.

Three Taverns opened a new spot on Memorial in Reynoldstown, it's nice. Their beer has been getting better.

El Tesoro is fuckin fantastic for burritos, tacos and coffee. They've even expanded their bar and have a decent mezcal selection. Show up at off-hours and chill out in the yard for a while.

8ARM got the chef from Ginya and is crushing it as a Japanese food place. Haven't had the full menu myself yet but the late-night kushiyaki definitely slaps. Wine program fantastic as ever.

OK YAKI is new for you I guess? Okonomiyaki and yakisoba in East Atlanta, south of EAV on Moreland. Really good, surprisingly cheap Japanese street food without being full izakaya. Pretty nice cocktail program courtesy of an ex-Kimball House bartender, plus a lot of shochu, which is cool.

Octopus Bar just reopened and is as good as it ever was. Went and got down at Mary's with friends a couple weeks ago and then walked over to Octopus and ordered one of everything. Great time.

...I dunno, I don't go out much right now. Atlanta kinda just reopened, I've been busy enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Those are all excellent suggestions and if we’re doing eastside recs I’d add Supremo, also from the 8arm/octopus bar folks (El Tesoro for lunch or weekend breakfast, Supremo for dinner to catch either when they’re open).
None of those are at all convenient to Duluth, unfortunately. But luckily, the overwhelming majority of our best “ethnic” food is on Buford Highway which is up the Chamblee/Doraville/Duluth corridor. And most of our best Korean BBQ is up that way or further north as well. I’m pretty out of the loop on OTP stuff since quarantine but Sushi House Hayakawa still owns and I’m sure Eater Atlanta has some suggestions.
I haven’t been since they moved to Duluth but I have very fond memories of the Grandma Pie from O4W pizza and if I were in Duluth and hungry, it’d be top of my list.

E: oh, my bad, just realized it was kuskus asking and you probably already know your way around town. And that we already talked Supremo last page (but many months ago). I love their choriqueso and al pastor tacos though and their soup specials are consistently amazing.
The new takeout/market incarnation of Staplehouse is worth checking out too but they don’t do table service anymore.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 7, 2021

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Lawen posted:

I haven’t been since they moved to Duluth but I have very fond memories of the Grandma Pie from O4W pizza and if I were in Duluth and hungry, it’d be top of my list.
I went here directly from my much-delayed flight… arrived two minutes before close and the gentleman working gave me all of the pizza in the window for the price of one slice. I turned right around and fed it to our creative team. Needless to say, we will be back this week to repay the favor. DANG it was good.

Thank you very much both of you for the suggestions, we will hit all of them up.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
For anyone ITP, Anthony Spina Jr (of the O4W Pizza family) is doing pizza Monday nights at 8Arm. Very good stuff.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

kuskus posted:

Hope you've all been doing well. Gonna be in town for a couple weeks for work! Where should I eat/drink?

"The Vortex" :peanut:

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I live here again FYI. Also pescatarian.

Has N E 1 been to Gigi's now that it's open where Gato used to be?

I love to buy funky mushrooms from freedom farmers market on Saturdays and do weird crap with them like make mock italian "beef" sandwiches w/ from scratch foccacia or nashville hot "chicken" sammies on brioche.

Hit me w/ ur best vegetarian options. I really like the Mamak Vegan Kitchen and their Lemak Curry.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Gigi's a few times before they fully took over the Gato space. Good stuff. Good people as well.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

kuskus posted:

Has N E 1 been to Gigi's now that it's open where Gato used to be?

Went there last week with my wife and her parents. It kicked rear end. They’re fleshing things out a bit more but the menu is still pretty small. They have a really nice pasta machine now. I recommend getting in there earlier in the week, Tuesday or Wednesday. Mondays tend to be packed with industry folk.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

kuskus posted:

I went here directly from my much-delayed flight… arrived two minutes before close and the gentleman working gave me all of the pizza in the window for the price of one slice. I turned right around and fed it to our creative team. Needless to say, we will be back this week to repay the favor. DANG it was good.

Thank you very much both of you for the suggestions, we will hit all of them up.

oh poo poo these guys are in my backyard, I'll have to check them out!

Also, any recs for fairly casual foodie food (for lack of a better term) in and around the north burbs? I have a big birthday coming up. My partner is kind of a meat-and-potatoes type of guy who is uncomfortable in really fancy restaurants and doesn't like loud places. He'd of course take me wherever I wanted if I asked, but I'd like to find a place where we both can relax and enjoy ourselves.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Celebrating almost 1 year of being back in Atlanta. Enough time to see Ticonderoga Club's pipe burst, and make it to this weekend, when they're recovered and back to regular hours!

During the pandemic I became a beekeeper (on the side), I had 3 hives on 35 acres of restored prairie.

In 2 weeks I'm bringing that hive equipment down here. Looking to place 3 hives. 2, I think are going in a community garden in East Point.

The third, I would love to place in O4W, Inman Park, Freedom Park, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who wants to host one. All I'm offering is unlimited pollination of your plants, as well as half the honey! C'mon folks!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

kuskus posted:

Celebrating almost 1 year of being back in Atlanta. Enough time to see Ticonderoga Club's pipe burst, and make it to this weekend, when they're recovered and back to regular hours!

During the pandemic I became a beekeeper (on the side), I had 3 hives on 35 acres of restored prairie.

In 2 weeks I'm bringing that hive equipment down here. Looking to place 3 hives. 2, I think are going in a community garden in East Point.

The third, I would love to place in O4W, Inman Park, Freedom Park, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who wants to host one. All I'm offering is unlimited pollination of your plants, as well as half the honey! C'mon folks!

I'm in IP and would be so down for this!

And will absolutely love to go get some drinks at the Club with a new goon friend!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Nice! Once I QC my equipment I will hit you up. I’m also in IP, dangerously close to TC.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Tonight I happened to hit up Ranger Station. My favorite bartender works there and will make you a good Cynar beverage.

Then I still had energy so I hit up Whoopsie‘s Place on bicycle. Had an arugula salad, the drink of the day which had amaro, honey, lemon, bitters, and talked to Tim about making silicon molds for specialty food purposes. The thing about this location is, I had to bike by a drug deal, a car that might have been on fire, and a trunk that was open and full of goods with no one around. But I can’t argue with the convenience. I will be back. Moreland!

I still need to get to Halfway Crooks, but Hop City near me recently did a takeover and I sampled quite a bit.

Here’s my question… it seems like Alton Brown’s wife has something to do with deploying restaurants and their design, and where the beltline restarts south of Wiley, there is Breaker Breaker and a couple of other train depot / shipping container-style locations, and I think they are about to pop off. Who knows what’s what?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Breaker Breaker is being opened by the Grindhouse team, who are apparently good dudes who treat their people well. Ran into the bar manager at Manny's a few weeks ago and she had nothing but good things to say. She seemed really stoked about the place so I'm eager to check it out. I don't know anything about Mrs. Alton Brown, that's the first I've heard about any of that. If you're coming to Halfway Crooks come see us at Little Bear across the street, I run the bar program.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

prayer group posted:

Breaker Breaker is being opened by the Grindhouse team, who are apparently good dudes who treat their people well. Ran into the bar manager at Manny's a few weeks ago and she had nothing but good things to say. She seemed really stoked about the place so I'm eager to check it out. I don't know anything about Mrs. Alton Brown, that's the first I've heard about any of that. If you're coming to Halfway Crooks come see us at Little Bear across the street, I run the bar program.

always have a great time there! and we see fernando on walks past our house fairly often too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I pet Fernando last night after picking up some Jurnior's Pizza.