Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Don't forget that we have the Best Pizza in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Come on now, how on earth can anybody argue with this:

Sure it takes an hour and a half to get on a slow day, and there's something sorta eerie about sitting in a dining room with ten completely silent strangers for an hour (because you spent the first half hour waiting outside). It doesn't matter that once you get inside the building looks like it's going to collapse, it doesn't matter that you're so worried that Miss Ann will kick you out if you make some kind of mistake so you mumble your order and she asks you to repeat it and you freeze like a deer in the headlights. Totally worth it. Also you get enough burger for like 3 meals.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
You guys over the past couple weeks have been making banh mi look loving fantastic and I really want to try some. I have no idea what to try.

I'm given to understand that my best bet is Quoc Huong on Buford Highway - what should I order and how much will it be? I'll eat anything once, especially if it is spicy.

I looked at the menu online and have no goddamned idea what is anything so can you help point me in the right direction here?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Is it safe to buy seafood from the Dekalb farmer's market? I went there today instead of the Buford Highway market and holy poo poo did it smell bad. Buford is set up the same way, fish on ice and live stuff swimming around, but they don't have nearly the fishy smell and the seafood is always delicious.

I really wanted the $1.69/lb mussels but I couldn't bring myself to buy any seafood there because it was so stinky. Am I just paranoid? Do any of you guys buy seafood there?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Powdered Toast Man posted:

My personal opinion is that if it is frozen, you're pretty much safe but that doesn't necessarily mean it is good quality stuff.

Nam Dae Mun market near me has some great fresh seafood I've had good results with. Specifically they have nice shrimp, live blue crabs, and live clams and mussels. I have not yet tried the live tilapia or catfish but they certainly look healthy in the tanks. I also have not yet tried any of the fresh fish, mostly because there are so many other people there that I don't feel like waiting in line. Maybe all those people are a good sign?

I've always been told that you should look for clear eyes in whole fish and a smell that is less fishy and more like the ocean. Excessive fishy smell is not good.

Some Atlanta stores as well as restaurants make trips down to the Gulf regularly to get fresh stuff. Ask them where their stuff is from; if they act shady about it that's not good, either.

That's what threw me off so much - the fish all looked pretty fresh, they all had clear eyes and nothing was frozen. I didn't smell any up close, but it all looked legitimate. It's just that the second you walk by the seafood section of the store you're hit with a nauseating bad seafood odor, but if that's from something like the live catfish or anything else that I'm overlooking I want to know because they had some pretty rockin' prices.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I did go there once like 3 years ago, and I remember that the first thing I smelled upon entering was terrible fish. I also remember that a friend of mine declined to go, based on the fact that it always smelled like terrible fish. I'm glad I didn't get any of the fish.

On the other hand, they actually had sichuan peppercorns and a bunch of reasonably priced produce and I couldn't afford any of the meat but it all looked spectacular. Also they had tons of cheap cheese which we bought the hell out of and I can't wait to dive into it. It was super great for everything besides protein, but I did see that they had a shitload of Patak sausages, grass fed beef and like buffalo so if I actually made a living wage I'm sure I'd love the meat selection.

Frankly, what is most terrifying to me out of all of this is that the seafood on buford highway is better than the seafood in decatur.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
buy all of your produce at murderkroger, take the survey on your receipt, say that i was super sexy and helpful.

then probably kill yourself because you have to shop at murderkroger

edit: the best part of the dekalb farmers market was the $15 bottle of wine they had marked down to $3.99

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Have any of you ever been to the Chinese food court? You should really go to the Chinese food court. It's about a block off Buford highway, turn right at the road after Chamblee Tucker and I think a left on New Peachtree. Go to the Sichuan place that doesn't have any english on the menu, ask for the mapo tofu.

It is the best food.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Don't go to gunshow, go to the Chinese food court. Go to the Sichuan place, get the boiled water beef. Unless you can read Chinese, you're just gonna have to ask for it and hope for the best. It is literally the best thing I've eaten in the last
ten years, make sure you specify you want it at the appropriate spice level if you're a gringo like me (the appropriate spice level is to ask for 'whatever they serve in sichuan province, I can totally take the heat. It is incredible.)

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
What I'm trying to say is i've been twice in the last week, don't know dick about sichuan food and there's not a thing that I haven't liked. Everyone should look up a tasty sichuan dish and go, there is evidently no way to go wrong; even if you are white as hell they'll still make it traditional spicy if you ask

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Picture, if you will, a man who has never had Italian food. He says at first 'you guys should try this thing called pizza, it is the best.' The next day, he says 'hey you guys should try lasagna, it is the best' and then the third day he says 'turns out there's this thing called ravioli, it is totally the best.'

That is me and sichuan food. Please permit me a learning curve, and if you haven't tried any of the dishes I've mentioned please do so with haste.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Have any of you guys ever tried the H&F burger at Turner Field? How does it compare to the original?

I got a free ticket with a $10 meal voucher through a friend of mine and spent a fair amount of the ~30 minute wait talking up the burger and the homemade condiments etc.

It was dry, overcooked and lovely. The ketchup was the best part. Please, somebody tell me I just got a bad one. Tell me that this isn't the platonic ideal of the cheeseburger I've been led to anticipate.

Otherwise I'm going to have to go wait for another two hours at Ann's Snack Bar to get the taste of compromise out of my mouth, and who has the loving time for that.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

jooky posted:

I've been really disappointed with the new Sweet Auburn BBQ location in the old Pura Vida spot. Been there a few times, and the meat has been really subpar. Dry brisket, greasy pork. They both come pre-sauced, too, which is a big knock, imo. It's a great location, and the restaurant itself is nice, but I just wish it had better food. I'd much rather head to Fox Bros or Community Q, even when Sweet Auburn is much closer.

I kept meaning to try that place when I did my laundry

Thanks for keeping me away from more of this city's traditionally dry brisket.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
We went to bread and butterfly on a whim instead of the Spence, which closed like a week later. Everything we had was amazing and the waiter was just the right amount of French and rude. A+++ would recommend to everybody

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
He really was great. We actually picked the place based on the recommendations it got here, so thanks for that

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Did any of you guys go to chomp and stomp? I learned that most people have really really bad ideas about how chili should taste, but I guess I should have known that going in

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Just dropping in to say happy chomp n stomp everybody. We made chili this year and it was a lot of fun!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

mindphlux posted:

which team/chili were you? I got to try quite a few of them, curious if we did yours!

numbers were crazy, definitely the crowded-est chomp I've been to. But I think they spaced it out well, wasn't as frenzied as I remember a few of them being.

Our team name was "we make chili" and our chili was called "it's just chili". Scaling up the recipe to five gallons was harder than I thought, but I was proud enough of it at the end.

This year felt way less crowded to me than last year, but that may well be because I spent all my time drunk behind a booth instead of waiting in line and working my way through the crowd. Either way I give it 5/5, would get drunk at again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I'm waiting in line at Hattie B's right now! We caught it when they did the pop up at Fox Bros and it was fantastic so really looking forward to this.

Got here about 10:45 and it looks like we'll be able to order by 11:45.