Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
I've got no beef with Taqueria del Sol, but I'd recommend Hankook over it in a heartbeat.

Speaking of Shoya Izakaya, which is great if not a little pricey, does anyone know of a good place to get takoyaki in town? Shoya has pretty delicious takoyaki but it's 4 for $5 and I'm used to a dozen for $6 from food trucks in L.A. Any other authentic Japanese restaurant recommendations would be appreciated as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

RHIN0002 posted:

Check out Umaido in Suwanee for the ramen. You won't be disappointed.

Also, Honey Pig in Duluth has the best Korean BBQ around.

Seconding Umaido. Easily the best ramen in town.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Umaido is the right choice for top pick. Through and through, it's the best bowl of traditional style of ramen you can get in Georgia.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Ru San's Midtown is the one at Ansley Park, right? What happened there? Is it about the management jumbling they had in the past year or so? But yeah, I'd agree that Ru San's fits the niche of decent sushi for when you don't want to spend much money and maybe want to drink a lot with your friends while doing so.

If you're down with Ru San's, I'd highly suggest checking out Matsuya in Toco Hills. Overall I'd say their sushi quality is much better and they have a $10.99 all you can eat lunch buffet. I went to try out the buffet, assuming the roll selection would be terrible. I was pleasantly surprised when not only were there about 20 different types to choose from, but they varied from more ridiculous fusion rolls to really basic standards like salmon and yellow tail.

It's not necessarily Shoya, but for cheap sushi I've yet to find anything that comes close to the price/quality ratio.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

I've got an anniversary dinner coming up in March and I'm looking for restaurant recommendations. We did Miller Union last year and were blown away by how good it was. Right now I'm looking at Kimball House and Better Half, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

The one good thing is that afterwards, we went to the new Korean cafe and bakery Paris Baguette. A really great place and very sleek and professional looking, and the first Asian bakery in Georgia to really remind me of the department store bakeries in Japan(Sweet Hut is pretty close too).

Paris Baguette is great and has replaced Sweet Hut for me. It seems to be slightly more expensive on average, but the quality is better. My only gripe is I've gone in multiple times and frequently there are no labels on the baked goods so I end up taking educated guesses on what the hell I'm eating.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Hey food thead! I come to you for anniversary restaurant suggestions. We did Miller Union last year (it was fantastic!) and I'm thinking about Restaurant Eugene this year but figured I'd poll you guys for some options first. Whaddya got?

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Looking for a good sushi spot for birthday dinner. I was looking at Sushi House Hayakawa, but I've also heard good things about Maru. Craft Izakaya is getting a lot of attention but their menu was only showing rolls. Any recs?

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Been frequenting Wagaya on 14th a lot lately and I'd say it's the best ramen I've had in town. I tried out Hajime this weekend (it's Umaido but on Cheshire Bridge) and it was good, but I Wagaya is still putting out better bowls.

Wagaya's sushi is another matter. If you order nigiri by the piece it's fantastic. If you order any sushi menu items (like a sushi platter, etc) the cuts are incredibly subpar and not worth the price.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

mindphlux posted:

awesome, I'll have to check wagaya out.

Hajime was good, but having just been to raku, I think raku nails it food wise, whereas hajime left me going 'eh' food quality wise. their broth just wasn't up to umaido standards. tons of service issues too, but the byob status (at least, last time I went) was a plus.

I'll have to check out raku again. I'm pretty sure I went there a few years and wasn't terribly impressed, but I'm always down to re-check places. On the flip side of that, I'd actually avoid Umaido at this point. Over the past year their quality has really nosedived and now that there are options in town, there's no reason to make that drive to Duluth.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

I think I've said it before in here, but Wagaya off 14th in Midtown is my jam. Great and knowledgeable staff and easily the best ramen bowl in town. I think it's better than Jinya too. Just don't order their sushi unless you're getting it by the piece. The sushi platters and combos are mediocre, but by the piece cuts are excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I have yet to have a comparable bowl of ramen here in Atlanta to what I could get in Japan. It's not even mediocre in my opinion. Every restaurant tries to stuff too much on there menu, ends up not doing anything exceptional.

I've got hope, but the current selection is pretty lame from what I've had. Has anyone had good ramen here??

My girlfriend lived in Japan for a while and places we go in Los Angeles get close, but still not quite Japan quality. I'd say that none of the places I've had here in ATL are at the same level of LA ramen I've had so your answer is probably no.