Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I kinda forgot this thread existed for two years. Ooops.

Currently I'm obsessed with the pastries from the Little Tart Bakeshop in the Octane on Memorial, especially their ham & cheese and almond croissants and their whole wheat chocolate chip cookies. Everything I've had there has been outstanding though, way better than Star Provision's or Alon's pastries IMO.

Ate at Luminary for brunch a couple weeks ago. Food was pretty good and we were drinking hard but I was still surprised that my wife and I plus one other couple managed to drop $300ish on brunch -- felt more like about $200 worth of food and booze. I'd give it another shot for dinner though.

Went back to Optimist recently. It's still quite good. They had better and more interesting cocktails than I remember; the Eye Patch w/ scotch, cane syrup, orange, lime, and porter was a pretty unique flavor profile that I liked.

Had a good meal at Pig & Pearl. I didn't love the ribs that I tried but I thought that the pulled pork was pretty good and all of the seafood and sides were great. I loathe going to Atlantic Station though so I'll pretty much always pick The Shed over P&P.

Best thing I've eaten at a restaurant recently is the country fried steak w/ mashed potatoes & gravy and fried green tomatoes at Homegrown. I love the comfy chicken biscuit there but the country fried steak is fuckin' ridiculous.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which, how you been? you should come to the next atl thread meetup and catch up. fond memories of drinking absurd amounts with you at brickstore and such.

Haha, that's right, we bored everyone around us talking about Nietzsche and/or Kierkegaard. Good times.

Now that I've rediscovered the thread and bookmarked it I'll keep an eye out for the next meetup.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

WaterIsPoison posted:

Going to Gunshow again tonight. :toot:

Gunshow's so good. I'm pretty spoiled since I literally live a few doors down from it and they're awesome about neighborhood walk-ins.

In other news, Krog St fully opening on Monday including both of Ginsberg's new places (though I'm pretty sure a different article said Yalla wouldn't open until later). Looks like a pretty great lineup.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Manuel Calavera posted:

drat, when did Jeni's move down there? They're an institution up here in the Columbus, OH area.

The first opened on the west side a year or two ago, this is the second. They've done a great job choosing locations, the first is next to Star Provisions (probably the most well loved "gourmet market" in Atlanta) and now Krog St. Market, our newest food Mecca. I wonder if they're planning a Ponce Market location, it would fit in well there too.

I really like Jeni's ice cream but we also have a local "chain" (3 stores) called Morelli's which is just as good if not better.

Edit: didn't realize there was one in Decatur too. Just googled it and found an Eater article from Sept announcing it, is it already open?

Lawen fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 25, 2014

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Went to Krog for lunch today and had a crazy good cheesesteak and fries at Fred's followed by an almond croissant and espresso at Little Tart. Yalla wasn't open for lunch but I'm looking forward to trying it out as well.

They've done a great job with the space but seating already seems a bit limited; I can only imagine it's going to get really, really crowded on weekends.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I went back to Fred's twice last week for the cheesesteak, Old Bay fries, and Triple XXX root beer ("It makes thirst a joy!"). It's pretty much the Platonic ideal of a cheesesteak. Of the three times I've had it, once it could've used a bit more salt but otherwise it's been flawless. Goddamn, dat bread. I think I've finally scratched the itch and will be able to try Yalla next time I go.

Hop City's beer bar was open and serving on Saturday night (first time I've seen it open). There was also a sign up for Gu's and it looked like they were taking delivery of kitchen equipment -- hopefully it'll open soon.

I feel so bad for the BBQ stand in Krog St; every time I've been there have been big lines for Fred's and Yalla and NO ONE at the BBQ place. The guys there seem really friendly too. I haven't even seen anyone sitting at a table eating their food, so haven't had a chance to see if it even looks like good BBQ. I did have an Uber driver who said it was good but not as good as Fox Bros.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Hey ATL dining thread! My coworkers want to go to the Optimist next week and I was wondering what you would recommend ordering. I know you guys aren't a fan of the place from reading the thread, but I was wondering if there were any bright spots.

I like The Optimist. It's spendy, noisy, and (valet only, cash only) parking sucks but the food's fuckin' good. Oysters, plancha shrimp, octopus, hush puppies are probably the high points; the entrees I've tried have all been solid and they do a nice whole fish preperation.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Is anyone else doing this Pappy Van Winkle dinner at the Pinewood? I'm going to the Sunday night one and am pretty excited. I've tried everything except the Rye and the 23 year-old and have loved everything I've had from them. Since, depending on who you believe, older bourbons are about to become a lot rarer and more expensive, I figure it's worth the splurge.

Landrobot posted:

I found a killer little Vietnamese restaurant on Buford Hwy, called Co'm that I had never heard of before. ... Has anyone else been?

C'om's great, I used to go all the time when I lived in Toco Hills/N.Druid but haven't been back in ages. Their grilled grape leaves stuffed with duck or lamb, com, bun, and shaking beef are all really good.

I didn't realize they had a 2nd location in D'woody that's 10 minutes from my work. I'll definitely have to go try it out for lunch.

My ITP alternatives are SOBA in EAV (decent pho, com, and bun dishes and if you hang out and drink for a few hours, it turns into Octopus Bar which is really good stuff) and Dua downtown in Fairlie-Poplar (best in-town Pho IMO, though that may be damning with faint praise).

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which - does anyone have any suggestions for weekday dinner options that don't blow the bank? ... I dunno, what do you guys do? how much do you normally spend per person on a low key meal?

I'm pretty sure my wife and I are keeping Zifty in business trying to deal with this very problem. Pretty easy to pass your $50 for 2 people threshold but real food, brought to my house on a weeknight makes it seem worth it.
Bantam & Biddy does a Family Menu which is enough food for 2 people to have a nice dinner and lunch the next day. It's also on their Zifty menu.
If we're feeling a bit more energetic or cheap, other options are (kinda east-side oriented):
• Eats (on Ponce) - always a good option for cheap, decent food. The Jerk Chicken in particular is quite good.
• The Mercantile (Dekalb Ave) - good sandwiches and prepared foods.
• Alon's prepared foods - Since I work in Dunwoody I'll pick stuff up to take home for dinner on occasion.
• Nick's Greek ToGo - pretty close to fast food but I'm a fan.
• Fox Bros - I'll pick up a smoked chicken and then throw together a salad and a rice pilaf or something to go with it.
• Spotted Trotter or Pine St or Star Provisions sausages - sausage + grill + baguette + mustard + simple salad = 30 minute, minimal fuss dinner.
• EAV Farmer's Market - Runs April - December but stopping by there on a Thursday after work makes it pretty easy to throw dinner together pretty quickly.

mindphlux posted:

went to the cockentrice tonight

Glad to hear you liked it, it's pretty high on my to-try list. I'm particularly curious about the chicken skin gnocci, did you happen to try it? Any standout dishes?

Lawen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 7, 2015

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Eater.com has some maps for like, best restaurants, best pubs, best ethnic, etc. May be worth a look. Eater Atlanta, Creative Loafing, Atlanta Journal-Constitution sites would all be worth a look. Also maybe posts tagged Atlanta on Serious Eats.

Atlanta is very neighborhood based; it's not really trivial to get from one side of Atlanta to the other even if you're just talking about inside the perimeter (like, it probably takes 30 mins to get from college park to dunwoody with zero traffic, 90 mins around dinner time). If you had a demographic you were looking for (college kids, hipsters, rich old white people, lower-income immigrant communities, etc) we could probably make some more specific suggestions and give you an idea of your competition.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yum Buns was actually a Guy Wong (of Miso Izakaya) place, which made paying top dollar for frozen/reheated, mediocre bao even more disappointing. It was a good concept, they clearly spent a bundle on location and design, but the food was just overwhelmingly meh and the bun fillings were all minced into an unidentifiable paste. I've had some really good meals at Miso, the dude can cook; I still can't figure out how Yum Buns was such a trainwreck.

I'm really hopeful that Gu's in KSM is a massive success and we see some more BuHi style (quality and price point) ethnic stuff open in the area as a result.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, Atlanta's BBQ scene isn't the best. Maybe add Daddy D'z if you want a dive ambience with slightly better food than Fat Matt's. Heirloom Market if you want non-traditional but really good Texas-by-way-of-Korea BBQ. I'm a fan of Sprayberry's in Newnan but more for their Brunswick stew (the good poo poo that's closer to a very fine hash than the "vegetable soup with chunks of meat" garbage that most places serve), onion rings, and cheeseburgers than their solid but not mind-blowing pork BBQ; gently caress driving to Newnan though.

Finally tried Shake Shack today. It was a good burger and fries but didn't really get me excited.

E: Oh, you said Heirloom already

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

roobots posted:

Hey food thead! I come to you for anniversary restaurant suggestions. We did Miller Union last year (it was fantastic!) and I'm thinking about Restaurant Eugene this year but figured I'd poll you guys for some options first. Whaddya got?

Restaurant Eugene is really good and if you haven't been it's a great pick for an anniversary dinner. There's lots of places in the ATL with great food but not many that both have great food and could be considered "elegant" fine dining; Eugene is one of those places if that's what you're looking for (Baccanalia/Quinones and maybe Empire State South are the others that spring to mind but even ESS can be a bit noisy/hectic and not as intimate as the others).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Panbury's, the meatpie place at Sweet Auburn is really good.

I noticed the other day that Arepa Mia opened a storefront on College Ave in Decatur in the strip with Trackside and Piece of Cake.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

H Harper Station is closing on April 1. I'm pretty bummed. It's a short walk from my place and, while the food or service never really lived up to its potential, the cocktail program has been consistently outstanding since they opened. The Bufala Negra is one of my favorite drinks ever.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Found a shockingly good new place in EAV - Gaja, across the street from The Glenwood/Graveyard (shares a building with the sketchy af bodega). It only has a tiny sign and, from the outside, looks like a shithole dive but inside it's a really clean, well designed, hip(ster?) space with banners covered in Korean-language Ramones lyrics. The food ranges from pretty traditional Korean (scallion pancake, roasted rice cakes, galbi) to Momofuku-style "Korean-inspired" stuff (anchovy and peanut brittle, hamburger mixed rice (bibimbap-ish), sweet potato noodles with bone marrow, "corn cheese"). We tried most of the menu and almost everything fell somewhere between good and great. Good beer and shochu options, pretty good wine and cocktail options. Service was also surprisingly great. Prices are very reasonable (our part of the bill was $86 for 3 small plates, 2 entrees, a bottle of wine, and 3 or 4 beers, not bad). If you're in the area, check it out. http://gajaeav.com/

mindphlux posted:

dude we should grab a drink sometime. I had a blast with you a couple times at brickstore years ago, and by all appearances you're stright chillin in the hood. I'm on pearl

Sorry, I somehow completely forget about this thread for weeks or months at a time. We should absolutely grab a drink sometime, I remember you being a cool dude. I'm in Glenwood Park. Be warned though, I've been out of school awhile and my existential philosophy discussion skills have grown weak :)

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

Gaja is great. That and Bread & Butterfly are my two favorite new places.

I totally missed that you mentioned it a page back.

Haven't been to B&B yet but I've been meaning to. I did stop into Proof a couple weeks ago and tried a bunch of their pastries and they were all great. A guy also brought one of their cakes in to the office and it was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten.

kuskus posted:

-Limited ramen at the limited time

Is that a regular thing? Don't see anything about it on their site or fb. I'd eat their ramen.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

O4W pizza is closing their O4W location and will only be operating their upcoming Duluth location.

Goddammit this is tragic news. Grandma Pie via Favor/Postmates has been my go-to delivery pizza for months. I'm devastated.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

Apropos of nothing, are/were you friends with Ty Walker? If so, I think we met years ago in VA.

Anyway, I'm told O4W Pizza's rent at Irwin was absurd ($120/sqft). Apparently they're open some nights at the Duluth location and are running out of dough nightly.

I was! And wrote some for juniorpainkiller. Never visited him in VA though... Did we meet at a goon meetup at Piedmont Park maybe? I think I remember meeting you and StraightRazor (lol forum history) and some other goons a loooong time ago.

Sucks that Irwin St has been such a terrible spot for anything not owned by Rathbun; you'd think they could better leverage the success of KSM. Is the one in Duluth still called O4W Pizza? Cause that'd be weird.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Gonna get so fat from easy access to Fred's cheesesteak.

I work in the Biltmore. Atwood's is pretty drat good, I eat there at least once a week. Pizza is solid, a couple of the sandwiches are great, co-workers say the breakfast is really good (especially the chicken biscuit and breakfast pizzas), and they make a good espresso. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

What sandwiches do you recommend?

The Club is a big, sloppy, delicious mess. The South of Philly is like a hybrid Chicago Beef + pot roast sandwich. The Reuben is solid. I also like the Muffaletta despite the bread being wrong (French bread sub roll thing instead of flatter sesame loaf). Haven't tried the meatball parm yet but have heard it's tasty.

They always have a special or two as well, sometimes pizzas, sometimes sandwiches; the ones I've tried have all been really good.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Tatsuta Age posted:

Hey yall, working in Midtown now near Atlantic Station, what's the good place for fancy asian soups around here? Stretches my lunch break a little too much driving to Dai Loi, would love something good closer.

Pho King is pretty close to opening on WP'tree just south of 10th by Pita Pit.

thathonkey posted:

i think The Optimist is my favorite restaurant in atl and im not even a huge seafood fan.

Where do yall think is the best burg in atl? My vote goes to Bocado

I wish I liked the Optimist more. The food is good but I just don't love the place. I'd take Kimball House over Optimist any day.

Burgers: Bocado is great. So is Fred's. Argosy's plancha burger. General Muir. The EARL has a shockingly good burger if you like a thicker patty backyard grilled style.

Best burger is at Bones though.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 5, 2016

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Potatoes/Pomme Macaire is the only thing always on the menu that I have to get every time. If they have the spinalis steak and you want steak, it's outstanding. Can't really go wrong at Kimball House.

Chef Justin at The Shed is doing a Julia Child French dinner tonight. Fun stuff; beef wellington, escargot, bouillabaisse, gougeres, etc. I'm heading over there now and looking forward to it.

E: yep, that dinner was 🔥 fire 🔥. There were black truffles and caviar and smuggled unpasteurized French cheeses involved.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 15, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Landrobot posted:

Kimball House is probably my favorite restaurant in Atlanta. I'm also a cocktail nerd, so that's probably 40% of the reason.

Also, did anyone see that Halal Guys is opening on Buford Hwy at the end of the month? https://www.facebook.com/TheHalalGuysATLChamblee/

Kimball House's cocktail program is crazy good. Every time I go I find a new favorite cocktail, usually involving bourbon/rye and cherry. In the past few months they've had a sour cherry julep and a cherry phosphate, both of which are in my top 10 ever list.

Also their coffee, oysters, desserts, caviar, food... Such a good spot.

Kinda food drunk so gonna take the opportunity to do my every few months advertisement for The Shed. AJC gave it 2/4 stars a couple months ago. If you live anywhere nearby it should be one of your regular spots. It's not the most fine dining place and it's not the cheapest spot but the quality for the price point is really good and they're doing some great barrel aged classic cocktails. Justin's doing some interesting stuff with a young kitchen crew. If you haven't been in a while, give it another shot.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

so, this cuts me! I lovvved the shed a year or two ago. Like you said, it's not the most fine dining place - but it was commmmpletely reasonably priced. I could go on a weeknight, and spend $50 on food with fancy wine/cocktail drinks for two, and leave well fed. and I worked it in to my regular rotation. but a change in the kitchen and vision now has it pushing 70-80 for the same type meal, and honestly I'm not going to go spend that on a weeknight - and the food isn't "fine dining" enough to where I wanna spend my weekend foodbux on it outside of weeknights.

I'll go back though, at your encouragement. it has been at least 6 months since I wandered over.

Give it another shot. Justin took over the kitchen just over a year ago and it's his first time running the show; I think it took him a little while to catch his stride, coupled with the need to keep or slowly transition away from stuff previous chefs had used to put it on the map (slider night being the big one). In the last six months though, they've been killing it.

You're right that it can get spendy for a weeknight dinner, especially if you try to do three traditional courses with a few cocktails. What works for us on weeknights is sitting at the bar and making a meal out of the smaller stuff on the menu - one of the "snacks", a couple of either the toasts (his slider replacement) or apps and a veggie side OR a snack and an entree with a veg to share. But even doing that, you're right that adding a couple cocktails or glasses of wine to the mix will push it out of the $50 for two range and into the $70ish range.

We went in last Wednesday and I was feeling carnivore so we shared some salmon rillettes, I had roasted bone marrow and pot roast/ blue cheese poutine apps, T had the pot pie entree and we shared some Brussels sprouts. It was a shitload of good food for $50. If we'd been drinking moderately, it would've been a fairly reasonable weeknight dinner IMO (I drank a bunch of Pappy though so...)

If you give them another try, let me know what you think. And if you see me at the bar (and can recognize me from the one time we hung out years ago :) ) come say hi and let me buy you a chartreuse and/or Fernet.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I went to Jia in Ponce City last night and had a really good dinner. I didn't realize it was basically an in-town outpost of Tasty China, same family runs it and the receipts say TASTY CHINA JIA. Masterpiece is probably better but gently caress driving to Duluth for Szechuan when I can get Gu's and now Jia delivered. I still miss Peter Cheng's/Tasty China 2 though.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't much like the Jia space either, maybe would've been better to sit outside. Service was a little awkward due to language barrier but our waiter was cool, made some good suggestions, and bought us a shot of their rice moonshine stuff (baijoe?) to try. We circumvented the mains before appetizers problem by ordering a bunch of apps and stopping there until we got them, then ordering everything else.

I'm not the biggest fan of PCM generally and when I do go I usually don't want a sit down meal and stick with an HF burger or a Super Pan cuban or a naan wrap from Bottiwalla. But I'm stoked about Jia delivery from Doordash/Postmates.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

thathonkey posted:

hrmm i have yet to find a great brunswick stew in atlanta - thanks for the recommendation

I'm sure I've mentioned it before in this thread but just in case: Sprayberry's in Newnan has the best Brunswick Stew (also the best onion rings after you add a shitload of salt. Burgers are good. Pork is aight.)

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Had lunch at Bon Ton today. It was pretty good! I'll be back for more po boys.

godzirraRAWR posted:

So I work in the middle of Duluth now. Any suggestions to try out here?

MJ's Tacos and Humble House in the Great Wall are current favs. I checked out Masterpiece, but mebbe I didn't order the right thing.

My favorite pizza place in town moved to Duluth from Old Forth Ward (and yet is still named O4W Pizza). Their Grandma Pie is amazing and they apparently also have a Detroit style that I'm going to have to drive to loving Duluth to try.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

The Detroit pie is awesome. That's my favorite now. The last two times I've been for lunch it has not been available. :(

Last time I talked to the guy, he said he couldn't make a whole bunch of it because of the pan or something.

I was in Austin a few weeks ago and had amazing Detroit style at Via 313 and I'm kind of obsessed now. Thanks for the heads up that it's not always available. I'll call ahead; I'd be heartbroken if I drove all the way up there and they didn't have it.

Three Cities Pizza in Sweet Auburn Market has a decent Detroit style but it doesn't compare to the Via 313 pie (nor, I suspect, to the O4W pie). They deliver though and I'm going to ask for it well done next time I order, that might make it better.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm guessing that my love for O4W comes from never buying by the slice and only ordering whole pies which have always been fresh, made to order, and delicious.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Pen Express posted:

So I'm going to be in Atlanta for a day with my girlfriend, the 3rd of next month to be specific, and neither of us really know the area. I like everything, probably something really savory and rich would suit me, but she's a bit pickier and doesn't necessarily need proteins for a good meal. Since we'll only be there for a night we want to make it count. Any recommendations?

Where are you staying? What's your transportation situation? How much you looking to spend?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The Canteen opened today in midtown. Had lunch plans already but looking forward to going tomorrow for a Fred's cheesesteak. It's like a block from my office, gonna get so fat(ter)

mindphlux posted:

finally did bon ton for lunch yesterday. it was pretty solid. I'll give dinner a go before I voice any strong opinions, but curious if y'all are liking it...

I went for lunch a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Just had a poboy and papaya salad but everything was fresh and tasty and the seafood was cooked perfectly. Their XO boil sauce was outrageously good, I would put that on all sorts of food. I thought the prices were reasonable for the stuff that I got BUT some of the bigger dinner entree things seemed quite pricy --maybe it's a shitload of food though? I've definitely been planning to get back over there.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I also hit Canteen for lunch. 2nd day open and slammed and was still fuckin' awesome. Tried the pastrami hoagie and it was the tits but also traded half for half of coworker's shroom shire cheesesteak and I regret nothing; they were both on point.

I'm not a Revelator fan and am kinda pissed they bought out Octane so I'm hoping the LaMarzocco machine in the TGM section is being competently worked. I'll find out tomorrow...

Will deffo try the porchetta; almost got it today.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Hah, that's awesome

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Grain in midtown unceremoniously closed a week or so ago, their landlord apparently noticed that they'd managed to build a bit of a following so he executed a lease clause, tossed them out, and is working on (re)opening his own place there. Problem is, they had a following because both of the bartenders were loving awesome and made great cocktails, without them the location has no draw for myself and my co-workers who regularly went there.

One of the loving awesome bartenders landed at Golden Eagle which is a stone's throw from my house. Popped in Saturday night to say hi and check it out and hooo boy it was packed. Guessing it was a combination of Chomp and Stompers and new restaurant groupies coupled with the rain making 2/3 of the patio unusable. 2 hour wait for a spot at the bar so we grabbed a drink and huddled in the wings and then got the gently caress out. Didn't try any food but the cocktails were good and the space is cool, looking forward to getting back over there once the buzz dies down a bit.

Now I need a good place in midtown near the Biltmore to drink after work. Cypress is fine for hard drinking but if anyone has suggestions for something a bit less crowded and a bit more...adult? ESS is a bit of a hike. Ecco has potential but not sure what their bar/cocktail scene is like. Square Bar in the Canteen is also on the list to try. Maybe The Lawrence? Any other suggestions?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

if I was going to go out for dinner for nye, without reservations at this point, I'd probably head to buford highway. go to canton house or another cantonese place and get a whole roast duck or some lobster or something?

I was debating going out, but ended up picking up the makings for an epic seafood tower from buford farmers market yesterday. clams, whelks, periwinkles, stone crab, oysters, mussels, caviar, prawns, sea snails. gonna be completely amazing, and set us back like $30-40 + caviar in materials. friend's houseparty afterwards. done!

Does Buford Farmers Market have caviar or did you get it somewhere else? I've been on a bit of a caviar kick lately and am on the lookout for sources and options. The UGA stuff that Kimball House has is really good and only about $55-60/oz from Inland Seafood for proper sturgeon caviar. They also have something called Cajun Caviar which is from the bowfin fish and at $25/oz it's a steal, I took a few ounces to family Christmas. Best I've had recently was some Bulgarian ossetra at McCradys.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

that said, if I were aiming to be a somm or cocktail person, I'd be aiming for kimball house, staplehouse, ticonderoga, or maybe like bacchanalia

Seconding all of these, especially Kimball House and Ticonderoga for cocktails. Haven't been in a while but Holeman & Finch was one of the first serious cocktail spots in town and is still well regarded (though their main guy Greg Best left to open Ticonderoga). Amer in Inman Park is a proper cocktail bar with a focus on amaros and around the corner the downstairs bar at Beetlecat is pretty good too, if a bit kitschy. Also hip and kitschy, Golden Eagle is new and still figuring some stuff out but has a good cocktail program. Leon's in Decatur, 8 Arm in Poncey Highlands, and Ration and Dram in Kirkwood are all worth a look. Haven't been but Marcel's is supposed to have good cocktails. We also seem to have a bit of a tiki trend; not really my thing but if you're into it there are some newcomers trying to put a spin on the Trader Vic's formula. Eater Atlanta probably has some lists that would be helpful too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

poop dood posted:

Got the gig at Watchman’s, very down with their approach to hospitality. Real, real dudes there. I’ve been getting better acquainted with my surroundings recently (this is day three of living here for me) and found out that I’m a mile or so away from Staplehouse and Golden Eagle. And I just looked up Beetlecat and it’s a mile and a half away and good lord it looks adorable. I think this city might rule. I’m happy to be here.

Nice, congrats on the gig and welcome to Atlanta! I'm stoked for Watchman's, Kimball House is probably my favorite spot in town for a semi-fancy night out. They just do everything right -- service, food, oysters/caviar, coffee, cocktails (their amaro selection is particularly good). Here's hoping Watchman's isn't cursed like most of the full service places that open at Krog St seem to be.

For liquor stores, antisodachrist nailed the big ones -- Green's/Tower/Toco Giant, also Total Wine in Dunwoody and World of Beverage on Camp Creek are both a drive but are massive and generally have good selection and great prices. H&F Bottle Shop is worth checking out, it's small but usually has a few strange but good things. Mac's in midtown has a pretty good selection, especially whisk(e)ys. My spot for amari and other kinda weird things is Decatur Package Store, they know their poo poo and if they don't have it, they'll order it.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 29, 2018

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

haven't been to sushi hayakawa before, but going Friday. any ordering suggestions?

I haven't been since they reopened but when I was going regularly I'd just ask Chef Art for an omakase or whatever he thought was best that night.

If you drink a bunch of saki/shochu the kinda sketchy karaoke place next door with private booths is a fun way to finish the night. If you follow that up with bowling and late night El Taco Veloz you'll have recreated my bachelor party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

poop dood posted:

Plus we have the only Green Chartreuse machine on Earth, and shots from it are only six bucks on Happy Hour, so there's that.

lol is it like the Jager chiller machines that have a row of upside down bottles sticking out of it but with Chartreuse branding? I find that hilarious for some reason but am now wondering why there aren't Fernet Branca machines like that.

I had a green chartreuse slushy at The Morris when I was in SF a couple weeks ago. It was good in 65F weather, I bet it'd be GREAT in Atlanta summer weather.

Awesome that y'all are open. I haven't made it over to KSM in a minute (I got Gu's delivered last night but that doesn't really count), will definitely stop in soon.

My two favorite Kimball House cocktails (and two of my favorites ever) were their Cherry Julep and the Sour Cherry Phosphate; either on the new menu?