Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Have any of you guys ever been to the Grindhouse Burgers fancypants tuesday thing? Is it worth anything?

I find it very hard to go anywhere other than The Vortex for a burger. I always think I'm going to be disappointed wherever I go so I just end up at The Vortex. However, a friend recently visited Flip and had good things to say so I might actually give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I have never had a better burger than a Vortex burger. With that being said, I have never been to any other establishments that are renowned for burgers. I suppose I'm still a "noob" when it comes to burgers. Also, my tots are never soggy. YMMV.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Just got back from Antico Pizza. The pizza was obviously amazing. We ordered a margherita with salsiccia and one with pepperoni. Both were delicious. I really liked the communal dining experience and the byob policy they have, of course I wish I would have known about it before going. It took a few minutes to find a place to sit, but other than that, I'll definitely be going back.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I honestly really enjoy Gladys and Ron's

I have only been to Gladys and Ron's once while at Dragon Con and it was at around 2 or 3 in the morning. The chicken and waffles were great, but the heartburn that followed was something terrible.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Also donner guy, check out Keba if you're in Athens (originally Achim's K-bob,) the guy who started it is German and I assume it's closer to German style donner than say Gyro Wrap.

Going by this place today after class. I honestly never knew what it was, but it got some good reviews so I'll check it out.

Completely unrelated: My friend's bachelor party is next Friday night and I had planned on making reservations at Kevin Rathbun Steak. I called a friend to confirm the number of people so that I could make the reservation and he tells me that we're going to Wild Wing Cafe instead. :negative:

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

This is in Suwanee but Umaido is supposed to be amazing according to my friends who have spent a lot of time in Japan. http://www.umaidos.com/

Yeah, Umaido is pretty much the best. Go there.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Madame Psychosis posted:

This thread is awesome. I head up the road from time to time for concerts and the like and I've always wanted to try Ethiopian, which seem not to exist in north central florida -- do y'all have any recommendations?

My Ethiopian bar manager has recommended Desta to me several times, but I've yet to try it. I could recommend it based on his rave reviews though.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I went to Iron Age in Duluth last night with some friends for Korean BBQ and was not disappointed. They have unlimited pork belly and brisket for $15 (everyone at the table must order it), and both were excellent. You get about 10 different kinds of banchan with the meal and as long as you continue to ask, they continue to bring more of everything. We ate no less than 5 pounds of pork belly between the four of us and everyone in my party was overly impressed with the food. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Seconding this. Great food and Grandma is very friendly.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

venutolo posted:

Well, I guess I know where I'm eating lunch today (or at least sometime this week). Love me some bibimbop.

They're closed Wednesdays so just make sure you don't go tomorrow. That would be disappointing.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Next time get the volcano.

The best brunswick stew I've ever had was at Southern Elements on the ground floor of the Hilton Downtown. I've had stew at every hole-in-the-wall bbq joint in NE georgia and theirs, by far, takes the cake. That being said, next time I make my way down to Brick Store, I'll be sure to order the volcano.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Went to Sweet Auburn Curb Market today with some friends. I didn't realize that Grindhouse Burgers had a setup there so I finally tried one of their burgers. Best burger I've had in quite some time. Even more impressive were the collard greens at Metro Deli Soul Food. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
It's late notice, but Sweetwater is doing a big thing for IPA Day today. They're pulling a bunch of Dank Tank kegs to tap and there will be food trucks. It's regular tour hours.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I'm in the Duluth/Lawrenceville area for the weekend. Any good eats I should check out? I don't really know the area.

Check out Umaido in Suwanee for the ramen. You won't be disappointed.

Also, Honey Pig in Duluth has the best Korean BBQ around.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I need some recommendations for a few very good lunch spots for this coming weekend, as I'll staying in the downtown area for the entirety of DragonCon.
We're staying at the Holiday Inn a block from Centennial and anything walking distance would be great, but also anything accessible via Marta would work as well since the station is directly in the middle of the Con.
As far as cost goes, anything is fine. We're going to Trader Vic's Thursday evening, but other than that, I have nothing.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mindphlux posted:

is there anywhere else in atlanta that does hot chicken aside from h&f on monday? good hot chicken, I mean. I had never even heard of it before, but after having h&f's a few times, I get these cravings for it... :(

JCT kitchen has some fried hot chicken oysters on their menu, and they're ok and all, but not really up to snuff.

wahhh I'm going to have to drive to nashville just to get some hot chicken

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/08/23/hot-chicken-roundup/

I've been wondering the same thing for a while, so here you go.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

venutolo posted:

Get the BBQ pork banh mi sandwiches. They should be $2.50 each (buy five, get one free). The only thing spicy on the sandwich is the jalapeno.

When I go, I usually order three BBQ pork and three of the "special" banh mis, for $12.50 total. I'll eat two or three while there and take the rest home.

Do these keep well refrigerated? I went for the first time Saturday, and loved the bbq pork. Unfortunately, it's about an hour drive from home and a half an hour from work, and not very economical even given the super low prices. If I bought 6, do you think they'd keep for a couple days?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mindphlux posted:

argh holeman seems to have taken a small but annoying hit quality/sanity wise.

showed up tonight, a lot of new staff. menu was redone, prices got raised about $2 almost across the board. cocktails, cheese, some of the more popular dishes, beers and wines inched up $.50-$1. ordered a salad that was literally a (very) small plate of some boring rear end lettuce with a lovely vinegarette, some orange segments that tasted almost like they'd come from a tin, 3 tomato chunks, and 4 croutons. for $8. there were also a lot of little things with service, but I can chalk that up to new staff rather than the restaurant itself.

I'm just moaning, but :/

My newly-married sister flew in at the beginning of January with her husband, and I planned on taking them there. We drove down (close to an hour's drive from where I live) only to be told by the valet attendant that they were closed for yearly renovations. Now, I checked their website a few times times on the days leading up to that night and there was no mention of a shut-down of the restaurant for any reason. However, the following day, the website had a new announcement that the restaurant would be up and running again on that Thursday. I was slightly pissed to say the least. My previous visit was stellar and I couldn't wait to go back. However, to be greeted by a valet attendant saying "Well, you can always go to Restaurant Eugene for cocktails" was not my idea of an evening out. We ended up going to The Iberian Pig and The Brickstore Pub. Dinner was great, but I was still let down. Your experience makes me want to go back even less.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I recently graduated from college and started working in Duluth this week, more specifically like 1/4 mile off of the Pleasant Hill exit. I love authentic Southeast Asian (specifically Vietnamese), Korean, and Chinese food, so I'm pretty much in my culinary happy-place. I've had some really great food in this area previously, as I used to work in Buford, but now actually being there on a daily basis opens up many new opportunities.

Are there any must-try places that would be good for lunch? Like, I've always wanted to try Honey Pig, but I wouldn't be doing bbq for lunch because I have to set aside at least 3 hours for kbbq. Does anyone know if they have good lunch options? And I'm obviously not just considering Asian stuff (even though it's the best), so anywhere is fine.

A couple days ago I checked out Banh Mi Cafe after checking out some yelp reviews. Apparently the cook worked at Quoc Huong for ~17 years, so it's nice to have an easily accessible banh mi joint that stands up to (and I think even possibly surpasses) Quoc Huong. They have a loving-out-of-this-world eye of round sandwich that will blow your mind. I've also checked out Lotus Vietnamese and it's pretty on point Viet fare.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks guys. I've actually been to a few of the mentioned restaurants, and they're all great, specifically Umaido. I seriously can't get enough of that ramen. I'll check out the BBQ chicken place in H-mart, and I've read good things about Sky BBQ in Assi Mart and I know Lee's is also located there, so I'll give it a go. Chef Liu's looking pretty rockin' too, especially that leek pie, so I'll be sure to go there but I think it's just a bit far for a lunch trip (I have no idea how BuHi is during lunch rush?).Pure Taqueria is also somewhere I've wanted to try for some time.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
H&F is opening a burger stand at Turner Field this year.

"To guarantee getting one of these famous burgers the Atlanta Braves are offering 24 exclusive tickets to every game, that includes an Outfield seat (sections 148L, 149R or 151L) near the H&F Burger stand and a fast pass to access the front of the line – all for $32. "

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/03/25/whats-new-at-turner-field-in-2013/

Not too sure how I feel about this. They're kind of keeping the exclusivity and limited supply aspect in play with limiting the number sold, but I'm still kind of meh on the whole thing.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Are there any really good/somewhat inexpensive places that are semi-close to The Masquerade?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

venutolo posted:

I really enjoyed the Chai Pani visit. Thanks to all, and especially Landrobot.

If we wanted to do another restaurant meetup, I'm pretty sure I could arrange that at The General Muir and Community Q.

I would be interested in this for sure. I wish I could have made it out last night but work did not allow that to happen.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

AgentHaiTo posted:

It's way OTP, but we just went to Blue Fin Sushi up in Johns Creeks. They had a Tonkotsu Ramen with pickled mustard that was really good, and large enough really that you can split it with two people. I pigged out and had the whole thing though. We went at 6pm on Saturday, right when they opened, and about 5-6 Japanese families with kids in tow walked in immediately for dinner.

Umaido (http://www.umaidos.com/) is the best ramen, hands down, in the Atlanta/Metro-Atlanta area.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mindphlux posted:

i think you linked the wrong place, this is in suwanee

Meh, I know it's not in Atlanta but certainly in the ~Metro~ area. "Best ramen in a 50 mile radius of Atlanta" would have probably been more appropriate.

It's a drive, but look at that beautiful bowl

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

kontona posted:

that's a little disappointing. hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon. would be nice to have a ramen place in that area of town.

has anyone been to the other location?

I've been to the Duluth location and the ramen is decent at best. I don't like that the noodles aren't fresh-made, but its certainly not bad by any means. The Duluth location does have tonkatsu so no idea what that's about.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Senior Funkenstien posted:

drat you guys. Making me have to drive up north to get some good ramen and Indian.

For anyone thats been to Umaido, whats the wait like at lunch?

I've been going for a couple years now and have never had a wait.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I'm going on a first date this Friday and need a restaurant for dinner > place to get drinks afterward somewhere in North Atlanta. Ideally, somewhere around Sandy Springs / Perimeter. I know next to nothing about that area other than the Fred Bar. Halp.

Edit: Actually, really anywhere north of 20 is fine. Sandy Springs area would be optimal though.

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 9, 2014

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Landrobot posted:

Sandy Springs: http://ciboatlanta.com/

It's happening, but not too loud. Food and drinks are excellent for the area. Sandy Springs is mostly full of pricey brass rail chain restaurants and Persian places. For drinks afterwards, there's an Intermezzo Cafe across from Perimeter Mall in Park Place.

Thanks! Reservation is booked. I'll provide a trip report if I can remember.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
-

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 5, 2020

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Ok. How the hell did Fat Matts gain any sort of reputation as a place to go? What the gently caress is the appeal of ribs boiled until they're turned into grey mush then ever so lightly grilled? Thankfully, they provide a generic sweetened sauce so you can choke them down.

A guy from work has been raging about Fat Matt's and I finally went a couple weeks ago. I had the exact same reaction. Ribs that were basically boiled down and then covered with a sweet sauce. Even the smoked chicken was marginal. I certainly won't be going back.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
-

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
-

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 5, 2020