Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

godzirraRAWR posted:

For Indian Vegetarian, I've been heavily addicted to Vatica in Marietta.

Its thali style, so not really much of a menu to speak of, they just bring out whatever they made that day on these neat little platters. Bonus in that the little crazy indian dude owner is.. well.. batshit insane, but he is always a lot of fun, and will totally cook chickpeas on the side for whenever my gf shows up.

Smyrna has Swapna, which is drat near the best butter chicken I've ever had. Other than their lunch buffet, its rather meh.

Swapna's lunch buffet is indeed awesome.

A couple of friends and I went to Ecco over on Cypress St for the first time last night and spent entirely too much money, but I was impressed by everything we got. Their charcuterie is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I have really mixed opinions about woodfire grill. I went once and some of the food was a revelation, but I went again and was just like 'eh' - tasting menu both times. I think I'd pay like 60 bucks for a tasting menu at his place, but 90-125 is too much, food doesn't warrant it. also ala carte is overpriced.

I think I'm just gonna stick to bacchanalia/restaurant eugene when I have money to blow. it's a shame there aren't more extraordinary set price menus in the city right now, but I guess that's what happens when atlanta scares joel antunes, guenther seeger, bruno ménard, and richard blais('s fine dining aspirations) out of the city.

I'm pretty sure the reason for this is that every place that opens gets compared to Bacchanalia and just isn't as good. I don't mean to sound fanboyish, but they have literally the best food I have ever put in my mouth.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

We're hitting up Rosa Mexicano tonight after a friend recommended it, largely because when he went last year on Valentine's it wasn't crowded and my girlfriend doesn't like loud/packed places.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

I am single, so I will be eating leftover stuffed acorn squash and drinking. Also experimenting with making hamburger buns.

On another note, what is your favorite taqueria? I have seen a few pop up in the last year or so. Bad Dog, Red Pepper, Perla, and OMG Tacos. Not to mention Bone Garden, and Hankook.

I personally LOVE Hankook, but Taqueria Del Sol is kind of my go to answer. Their shrimp corn chowder is awesome.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

jooky posted:

HD1 is pretty cool, too, apart from the cash register ordering. The wait can be a bit long, but I've never been disappointed by the food in all the times I've been. Worth checking out if you're in town.

Agreed. HD1 is cheaper, too.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

majestic12 posted:

I'm pretty sure he changed the recipe even since he opened his first store in like 2000 (I worked there for like a month in high school), but it's still reasonably close to a döner and still good.

I always went for the fries, anyway. Belgian-style is the bomb.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

If you guys haven't been to Waikikie Hawaiian BBQ yet, you are missing out. On top of having awesome food, their shave ice is great, and they have Kona Pipeline Porter on draft.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

crm posted:

Maybe something a Llittle more cozy?

Might give their brunch a shot though.

Edit: the wife says she wants seafood. So fancy seafood restaurants in Atlanta... go!

Is sushi works for seafood, Hashiguchi/Sushi Jr. is always amazing, and my girlfriend and I really enjoy Taka as well.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

godzirraRAWR posted:

Does anyone know of a good place in or near atlanta that sells pork belly? I've been getting mine from weinerz on atlanta rd, and while amazing its pricey and they take like 4 weeks to fill my order. I'm tempted to try one of the random mexican or Asian markets, but i'm a little wary due to some of the reviews. Online+delivery would be pimp as well.

I found 3 lbs. slabs at Your Dekalb Farmer's Market for a very reasonable price.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I went then and was also unimpressed. As far as that style of burger goes, I've yet to find anything that compares to Vortex, though I also enjoy my Five Guys.

Am I the only person on Earth that can't stand Five Guys? Everyone seems to love them for fast food burgers, but I hate that they always cook their patties well done. Well done is the worst.

VVV that's a fair point, I guess. All fast food burgers are horrible.

FLEXBONER fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2012

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

mindphlux posted:

done :( I crossed out hachiguchi too :cry:

the op is pretty out of date, but just having to cross those two out has pretty much killed my will-to-update it further. wahhh

Uh...I thought they were still open as Sushi Jr? I went there not too long ago. Did they close super recently?

VVV Hankook owns.

FLEXBONER fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 14, 2012

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I like Papi's but I guess that makes me a bad person.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

venutolo posted:

In my opinion Crazy Cuban kind of stinks and their sandwiches are not much like Kool Korner's. If I just want a sandwich I'd go to Papi's, Havana, or Little Cuba.

Crazy Cuban is ok, but that's only because they are within walking distance of my work and they're relatively cheap compared to everything else in walking distance.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Hmm, I might have to go then.

How is Holeman & Finch for drinks in the late evening? I feel like the crowd might be too old and upscale for me.

Holeman & Finch is full of yuppies and hipsters. You'll be fine.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I don't have any debt, don't buy expensive clothes, my car is from 1997, don't go to sporting events, I don't spend any money on omg xbawx or movies or whatever, I don't even have cable TV - but spending money on food and wine? (and I guess travel?) It's what makes life worth living! :)

This man knows what's up.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

So Dante's is closing in the next few months, I wonder if anyone will actually miss the place...

Uh...Dante's is pretty sweet, I don't know what your beef is.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

AgentHaiTo posted:

We ate at Gio's Chicken the other night. It was just ok. We got the Diablo Chicken and it was roast chicken cooked with those spicy red peppers in olive oil that they put out on the tables at Antico. Tasted good, but was really oily and messy to eat. Also, got the pasta with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and olive oil. It was ok, but nothing special. Everything comes with a salad that has an olive oil dressing too, so I had just finished that and the entrees came out with all oil too was a bit much, but maybe that was just our error in ordering the same items.

Some other notes was the music was way too loud. An old couple complained and the waitress struggled with the iPad mini mounted on the wall, and she never did turn down the volume. It was loud enough that you could not talk to each other in a normal voice. And the sink they wanted me to get table water from was filled with dirt, as if someone had just rinsed a mop in it.

I'd like to try it again, but at 16 bucks an entree, it's a bit expensive for what you get. They also have a little note on the menu that says no sharing, so I guess that means you can't get one entree and share it with two people...

The Scarpiello is the best value on the menu because it comes with sausage as well as chicken, and it also very tasty - it's basically just the toppings on the Antico San Genaro pizza + chicken. I like Gio's/Anitco quite a bit, but that's mostly because I live across the street so it's super convenient.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Landrobot posted:

For Chinese, I really like Chef Liu's off Buford Hwy. My Chinese friend introduced me to the place recently. The place is a mixed bag full of hipsters and Chinese patrons, but the food IS authentic and really good. I have spent time in China and can verify this. Service is a little wonky, but it's cheap as hell, and everything is made in-house.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chef-liu-atlanta

Chef Liu rocks - they have my favorite dumplings in Atlanta. I always have to be careful not to order too much food when I go because they give you big portions for your money.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I'm looking for a quiet-ish, decent bar or pub to chill at, can anyone help me out? All the places I know are consistently packed and noisy.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Ok, cool. Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I haven't been yet and I've been meaning to go, so I'd be down for this. Assuming I'm free whenever it is.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I am free any night as long as I know far enough in advance.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I will be there.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Adding to the thanks to Landrobot for organizing this thing. I had an excellent time and will definitely be going back there in the future.

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah. I have a sore throat today from trying to make myself be heard.

Ditto.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Landrobot posted:

There's like 50+ employees, so it really depends on who makes it. But yeah, it can be a bit watered down sometimes. Drop a spoonful of mango pickle in the daal and you'll be in heaven. That's really what's made for, to add flavor or kick to a bland dish. The pickle brand, I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's for sale up in the front retail area.

Next time you go, get a bowl, or ask for a cup, of Sambar soup. It's made with 18+ ingredients from scratch.

We can always do another goon-meet there if everyone is interested? It was quite successful last time :)

I would be down for that.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Where do you guys go for Tapas? My girlfriend has never been and I'm looking for a place to take her.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I could eat a food sometime.

Don't schedule it during a Georgia Tech home game, though, I have season tickets

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

The reason all my responses are "probably yes" is because I don't know how busy grad school is going to make me on any of those weekends, but it should hopefully be fine.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Beef in all forms is inferior to pulled pork in every conceivable way :colbert:

EDIT:
VVV in the context of BBQ you philistine

FLEXBONER fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 9, 2013

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Landrobot posted:

Has anyone been to La Pastorcita on Buford Hwy?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-pastorcita-atlanta

I discovered it on Yelp tonight, as I was trying to find late night places, and I live almost walking distance from it. poo poo looks legit! If no one has been there, I'll try to go this weekend and scout it out, take menu photos, etc..

I mean, just look at it!

That will either be the greatest or the worst thing ever.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

Just say no to the Varisty

Caveat: always say yes to an FO

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

The Que Wraps at Daddy D'z are terrible but amazing at the same time.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

mys posted:

Hankook Taqueria has a light breading on their fries that is amazing.

They're non-traditional, but I also seriously love the sesame fries at Hankook, especially paired with the spicy ketchup stuff they give you

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Ate brunch at the One-Eared Stag this weekend. Got the Chef's Breakfast and enjoyed everything, but especially the scrambled eggs with salmon roe. Will definitely be going back in the future. Also had dinner at Bocado and everything we tried was great, but what stood out to me was the cocktails. I live within walking distance so I'm ashamed I haven't been drinking there more often.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah Burger is aggressively mediocre.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I go to the Westside one, and while it's never been BAD it's certainly never impressed me. It's just kinda blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

How are you guys liking Cookout?

I just moved to Denver and am sad I cannot enjoy the Cheerwine floats