Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't stop eating at Community Q. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

Atlanta food is pretty decent, my biggest complaint is the lack of Middle Eastern food (especially regional Palestinian/Jordanian/Syrian food) that was so plentiful around Falls Church. I went back up for my birthday and absolutely annihilated a plate of Damascus shawarma and meat pies.
One of my best friends is Palestinian, and I've never heard him complain about a lack of Middle Eastern options. We eat a Mediterranean Grill a lot, though that's hardly fancy cuisine. I think there are some nicer places in east Decatur, near Lawrenceville Highway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Can anyone recommend a good (ideally not too expensive) restaurant in the Emory, Druid Hills, Decatur, or Midtown areas (with ample parking) that would handle a party of about 20 well? I'm drawing blanks.
La Parilla in Toco Hills comes to mind. There's also a pasta place a la Figo next door and an Outback Steakhouse on the other side of the shopping center.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are you in or are you out?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

That list look amazing, but I just worry that Brick Store is going to be absolutely packed tonight.
Of course it's going to be a poo poo show. That's why we have to get there at 4pm and claim our seat at the bar. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Finally hit up Brick Store on Saturday. Had three beers I've never had before and all three were excellent; one of them was from the cellar and wasn't even on the menu. We asked for it and the waitress was like, "Let me check the cellar..."

Yeah, I'd like to see that cellar. :stare:

We had the pimento cheese appetizer, I had the Shepherd's Daughter's Pie (my only complaint is that I could have eaten twice the size of the portion I was given because I was starving), and my buddy got the Cornish Game Hen. It was all great. I wish I was in a position at the time to continue to some of the other great-looking bars in the immediate area. Next time, maybe!

It was loud as hell but that's understandable. The atmosphere was fun and the service was fantastic. I like their "anyone can serve you" approach. I tipped very well.
Next time get the volcano.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Webbeh posted:

Since I haven't been to the Food Truck Park yet, I'm definitely going to swing by the festival before going to The Matrix Live.
Mother. Of. God. :dong:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

I was unimpressed when I visited Grindhouse at Piedmont. I'm not sure if it was an off day but my burger really seemed just above run of the mill for burger joints. I'll go again to see if it's just me. Five Napkin Burger that opened up on Piedmont and 10th isn't too shabby either, but the prices are way high.
I went then and was also unimpressed. As far as that style of burger goes, I've yet to find anything that compares to Vortex, though I also enjoy my Five Guys.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had the paella at La Fonda on westside. Very bland, not impressed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Went to Yeah Burger in the Highlands yesterday. $13.47 for a god damned hamburger, fries, and fountain drink. And it wasn't even that good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 28th birthday is today. A female friend recommend I go to Barcelona Wine Bar, to which I responded, "Can I go alone?" since tonight isn't especially convenient for people. From what I can tell, it would be a bad idea.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 22, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

what is this posted:

Why are you having your birthday dinner alone?
Some colleagues invited me to go to the Vortex at 7pm. That will conclude by 8:30pm, so there's still plenty of time for drinks.

quote:

Go to Manuel's tavern, tonight will be great for alone birthday party action.
Is there something special about Monday nights or tonight in particular?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

what is this posted:

I've been going to every debate at Manuel's and it is lots of fun. Smoke a bunch, drink a ton, yell at the screen.

In fact I'm there right now. Good bar seats mean getting there early.
Hmm, I might have to go then.

How is Holeman & Finch for drinks in the late evening? I feel like the crowd might be too old and upscale for me.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 23, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

I waste a lot of mine at the Brick Store and Takorea. Well, the two dollar tacos on Tuesdays.
Money spent at Brick Store is never wasted. :colbert:

Also, the cocktails at H&F are ridiculous. They're so small but they get you so drunk! (Also: birthday shot)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

True, but living down the street from there has lightened my wallet on more than a few occasions.

mindphlux posted:

I live across the street too
If you guys are also regulars at Brick Store, maybe we know each other IRL. :tinfoil:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Grapevine has it that Deckard's American Tavern on Ponce closed.

Eulogy: The food was pretty good for the price, I guess, and their beer list was above average. We'll have to find another place for lunchtime work functions.
They stole my favorite server from Taco Mac highlands. I wonder where she's at now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Webbeh posted:

Yep. Deckard's American Tavern and Ribs & Blues (on 5th Street) have shuttered.
Woah, Ribs & Blues is gone? Did they have the same owner?

The last time I went there was a year and a half ago. Cheap pitchers next door to my office.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

venutolo posted:

Just go for brunch.
Agreed. And prepare to be underwhelmed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just made a reservation at Barcelona Wine Bar for Thursday 8pm for a first date; neither of us have been.

I'd prefer to sit at the bar but is it going to be difficult to find space?

edit: A friend told me to reserve a table in the bar area. I have no idea what that means, but I called and made the request.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 4, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RHIN0002 posted:

We ended up going to The Iberian Pig and The Brickstore Pub. Dinner was great, but I was still let down.
Brick Store is always a good decision.

As for Holeman, I enjoy going on Friday night because the crowd is good, but there just simply isn't enough space at the bar, and that's all I ever go for, to order cocktails from the bar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

venutolo posted:

Here are a few reviews I found interesting:

The Spence on Chow Down Atlanta - Very positive review after both the reviewer and I have heard less than great reviews of the place.
I've been at Tech mostly continuously for the last 11 years and it's incredibly to see an establishment actually do well with that particular space.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:smith: They were my favorite place for Southern home cooking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No love for Barcelona Wine Bar I see.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

venutolo posted:

I really don't care for Yeah Burger's burgers at all. I'd rather go to Five Guys than Yeah Burger. And I completely agree that it isn't worth what you pay.
Agreed. I've been once, to the VaHi location, and was completely unimpressed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm going to a short conference in Decatur, getting in around lunchtime this Thursday and leaving Saturday afternoon. It sounds like I have a group dinner on Friday night at the Square Pub near my hotel, which looks very casual and cheap but pretty good -- my perfect kind of place. Any thoughts on it?
Assuming you're staying at the Courtyard (or even if you aren't), you should definitely check out Brick Store Pub which is about 100 yards away from Square Pub and IMO a much more exciting place to visit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Went to Empire State South for cocktails last night, great experience, but this morning I realized I under tipped :ohdear: I hope they don't hold it against me until I see them next week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I want to make it to Chai Pani tonight but I'll probably be stuck at the office. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not that any of you eat at Ru Sans, and not that this is terribly surprising, but still: http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2013/08/01/restaurant-inspections-ru-sans/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kuskus posted:

Kimball House (tumblr, instagram, facebook) opens up in Decatur on Wednesday night from the Leon's & Brick Store crews. Apparently 5pm-1am. I'll be there after work (before 7).
Is this the place where Brian from Brick Store and Miles from Leon's are defecting to?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kuskus posted:

To say the least.
Any other mainstays changing over?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kuskus posted:

18 potential guests in our party at GM seems seam-busting. You gonna confirm then freeze the form soon?

That whole block at Emory Point now smells like soap suds on the reg. As an aside, their flavored sodas are great. I had one with lunch the other day and a coworker had another. Similar to a lime ricky and not sickly sweet.
Why would it smell like soap? :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

This may not be a popular opinion, but I've always liked Fox Bros better than Community Q. What am I missing?
Beef rib + mac n cheese. Heaven for your mouth, hell for your arteries.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FLEXBONER posted:

Beef in all forms is inferior to pulled pork in every conceivable way :colbert:
That would mean steak is inferior to pulled pork, which is tautologically untrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Community Q is the best BBQ in the city and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. :colbert: