Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

mindphlux posted:

what is there to mention? it's not bad or anything, but it is just a relatively cheap local chain taco place...

This is not true. Not even like 'I disagree with your opinion.' It is factually incorrect. Chef Eddie has been nominated for Beard awards two years in a row now. The charros beans, collards, and corn chowder are the best example of their kind I've ever had. Sure, they were just as good back when he was doing the Sundown Cafe on Cheshire Bridge, but they continue to be spectacular. The tacos are also pretty phenomenal. This is why it takes an hour to get your tacos if you try to go there around lunchtime on a weekday.

I'm not sure what you're getting at or if you are thinking of something else, but Taqueria del Sol is a great restaurant and chef Eddie has been a highpoint of Atlanta for longer than I've been alive. Telling people who don't know that's it's just like Twisted Taco or something is doing a major disservice.

Also, I want to talk about :

Shoya Izakaya. One of Atlanta's more Japanese Japanese restaurants, the majority of the customers are going to be speaking that and it's clear the menu is in Japanese first, English second. It's a traditional Izakaya, which is a kind of drinking establishment and you can read about it on their website. They have wonderful noodles (Try the wasabi leaf ochazuke- it will change your understanding of Japanese soup [technically, this is a rice soup]) excellent tempura and kushiyaki, and my personal favorite Sushi in the city.

They have Kirin Ichiban and Sapporo on draft (which will be served to you in ceramic glasses/pitchers) a very substantial sake list, and the largest selection of shochu I've seen. Sit at the sushi bar and speak to Hai, the chef. He'll be happy to tell you all about what kind of new booze you should try. The kushiyaki/rice dishes are cheap, you can eat well for less than ten bucks. The sushi can be expensive (surprise!)

As an added bonus, being right next to H Mart at the end of Peachtree Industrial, you can go do your grocery shopping for asian ingredients (and everything else) right next door.

Local Three- A collaboration between chef Chris Hall and the dudes from Muss and Turner's, this sits where Joel used to be on Northside Parkway near Howell Mill. I've never had anything I didn't love. The things that really stand out to me have been the braised beef cheeks, the venison medallions, and the blued trout. Oh yes, and the various pig product appetizers, or the pimento cheese, boysenberry, and chicken liver pate appetizer. Chris Hall knows how to have a good time with traditional foods that have lost popularity and give them an interesting twist.

Also has a pretty substantial whiskey and Bourbon bar. My favorite drink is their unique take on the sidecar. It's pricy, so there's that. Also, I may be somewhat biased because the chef's wife was my high school Chemistry teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

Definitely do eat Varsity food if you're like me and have the intestinal fortitude of A Real Man™ :unsmigghh:

For real though, it's greasy fast food. It has the effect that any greasy fast food has. I recommend it to people as a joke as much as anything, though I seriously do like their chili dogs and onion rings. I'm not sure why the thread has such a seething hatred for it.

The frosted orange is somewhere between an orange julius and a milkshake. It's kind of hard to describe.

The Varsity is actually a very old part of Georgia Tech's curriculum meant to teach critical life skills in the hardest way possible (the same way they do everything) kind of like drown proofing. Some people need to spend four years reading dead Greeks to figure out that the first step to wisdom is to know thyself. The Varisty is GT's original liberal arts curriculum in that way; just as Oedipus had to wander blind for rebelling against the threads of fate, so to does the Varsity sentence you to thermobaric shits for your impertinence.

So too do we learn that, as Ecclesiastes says, all is vanity. Here the just man eateth but one chili steak and onion ring and his butt is terribly afflicted. There the wicked man consumeth five chili slaw dogs but walks right into Bobby Dodd Stadium. We cannot know the workings of the chili.

Seriously though, figure out how much grease you can handle. If my tiny, dyspepsia prone significant other can enjoy the varsity by eating an appropriate amount, so can you. Also, if you're getting a hamburger you're doing it wrong. You might be happier stopping by a nice McDonald's. Get the chili slaw dog and the chili cheese steak. No, it doesn't matter if you think that sounds good. It's a significant and historic part of Atlanta's food culture, and to understand it you need to experience it.

Also, I love that Cowtippers has made this chat. Don't neglect seeing something at Smith's next door.

I also think this thread needs to give some consideration to:

Local Three- Northside Parkway between West Paces and Northside Drive. Has a serious point to make about the southern as fine dining thing that everyone seems to have latched on to these days, but draws from influences around the globe depending on what fits. The menu rotates seasonally, so nothing sticks around more than 6 months at a time. Something on the menu has consistently been on my top 3 recent meals since the place opened. And when the chef really gets it right I learn something about an ingredient I never knew before. That Chris Hall consistently does this with things like (most recently) pork shoulder that I have been eating and cooking for life really makes me happy. Also, their atmosphere is refined, but the portrait of the Dude with His Beverage and the rest of the decor keep things feeling down to earth. Their bar has a ludicrous number of bourbons and featured drinks that are always both fascinating and delicious. Fairly pricey.

Shoya- as far as sushi goes, this is the best fish I've tasted in Atlanta. It's on Peachtree Industrial. The Izakaya is built around drinking, so in some ways the food has similarities to a Taco Mac as seen from a completely different culture. Their menu is enormous and I frankly have no idea how they manage to execute a menu that huge so consistently. My rule when I go is that I need to try at least one thing that I've never had before and I have no idea what it might taste like. The various rice dishes are delicious and cheap and the kushiyaki is fantastic (again, get at least one thing you don't understand at all).
It's also an instant fun evening to sit down at the sushi bar and tell the chef that you have no idea about shochu or awamori, but want to try. This place can be very pricey if you drink a lot an order a lot of raw fish, or can cost under $15 a person if you just want a rice dish or something like that.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
^^^^ yes, that's an excellent idea.

Neena posted:

I keep meaning to go to Local Three, especially since I love Muss & Turners so much. If any of you find yourself otp you should definitely check them out, by the way.

We have a tasting scheduled next week at Sun in My Belly, to potentially have them cater our wedding. Funnily enough we got that scheduled before we actually made it out to the restaurant to eat, but I've heard nothing but good things about them from everybody I've talked to. I'm thinking of just asking them to do a chefs choice of stuff that would be seasonal in Oct. Anyone else had their catering?

Also, is it customary to have the catering do the wedding cake as well? I figure I'll ask about their cake options next week, but if anyone has bakery suggestions I'd like to hear them. We're not going for anything too insane or ornate, I really just want it to be awesome and delicious.

Sun in My Belly is supposed to be a really good caterer, but I haven't used them personally. Their restaurant is in a neat part of Atlanta that, largely through economic troubles, has maintained a strong feeling of what the city used to be like before the 80's and major US city thing happened. Unfortunately, that means that the roads make no goddamn sense so be prepared for that.

I thought the food was tasty and well executed but it occupies that 'southern and local' space that's so overcrowded these days. I didn't find much to differentiate it and it was a bit on the pricey side for what it was. That said, it is at the top of that space in terms of tasty and while not as interesting as, say, Local Three, the location is very meet for the kind of food. I mostly go there when I want to experience a connection to my space. It makes a good date night that way. To their credit, they seem to take the local stuff pretty seriously and did a good job of pimping Georgia wines. That part made me happy.

The atmosphere is so hipster it hurts. The decoration screams of crafting and the music was like a compilation of most mentioned songs on NPR's all songs considered. I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of thing, but it wasn't really offensive because, like I mention, that seems about right for where and what they're doing.

As for cakes, the traditional thing is to have a separate bakery do the cake (in fact, few caterers are willing to take on wedding cakes). Keep in mind that wedding cakes walk a fine line between the pretty and the tasty. You need to find a bakery that gets the mix right for your tastes. For example, I think that fondant is a despicable lie and anathema to good food everywhere. Other people don't much care about what the outside tastes like, and love the fact that it's a cake taller than they are decorated like liberacci's piano. This is something you want to put effort into if the tastyness of the cake is a big deal to you. Also, that means going around eating a bunch of cakes, so who doesn't want to do that?

Now, keep in mind I could care less about pretty as long as my cake is delicious, but I'd suggest you check out:

The Rhodes Bakery. It's ancient and venerable, and their caramel icing is the best thing ever. It's pretty unique, so if you haven't tried it you should. They use a higher proportion of sugar and cook it to a higher temperature than most so that the result is much more solid than a buttercream. Actually, I'll be using them for my cake at our wedding. I'd get it anyway, but while the caramel isn't as solid as fondant and wouldn't do the ridiculous stuff you see on food network competition shows, you can use it to build a pretty cake.

The International Bakery. I'm actually no 100% sure that they have wedding cakes (of the big layery kind) but I'm pretty sure. I can tell you that they have really, really good cakes for pretty darn cheap. Also delicious tarts and cookies and baklava and they'll sell you phyllo dough (3 varieties!) Both Rhodes and IB are on cheshire bridge, so if I'm wrong and they don't have wedding cakes its still worth a 5 min detour to get baklava when you visit Rhodes.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Le Petite Maison is good stuff.

I also like Atmosphere- the veal liver reminds me of my time in France. Lots of less organ meat options if you are pathetic and unworthy. It's on Piedmont near Monroe Drive.

Also, Bistro Niko is tasty, but suffers from many of the faults that Buckhead Life restaurants tend to. Perhaps less so than some others I could think of.

Also, Cafe Lapin is not showy, but drat good food. Great breakfast, too. It's in Peachtree Battle shopping center.

Centurium fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 18, 2013

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I went to atmosphere last night actually, I was refreshingly impressed. I had just assumed it was good, but it actually was really good - everything was executed really well. We had some french onion soup, salmon, escargot, veal liver, and an apple tarte - all things that could easily go one way or the other, but I don't think I had any complaints at all. The veal liver was easily the best (cow) liver I've ever had, anywhere. (though very thinly sliced, and slightly breaded and absolutely drenched in salty garlic butter, so pretty much a gimme)

I live next to cafe lapin, and have only been once, but my experience was a little less than stellar. The food felt like geriatric hotel food mostly. Underseasoned, served with a side of blanched veg, etc. But again, I've only been once - I should give it another try for sure.

Funny you mention it, last time I went we had some underseasoned food. My omelet was as well executed as always. I feel like I'm becoming less and less tolerant of bad texture in an omelet. I'm becoming an egg snob. Also eating there infrequently because, well Jaliscos. I'm not sure I can tell you why I love it so much, I just do.

And I live pretty darn close to cafe lapin myself. Whoa. People on the internet? Near me?

Anybody been to http://www.derbiergarten.com/biergarten/files/7213/6985/9151/DBG%20Menu.pdf ? Other suggestions for german food? I have a craving for schnitzel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

venutolo posted:

:rms::burger::fork:

Goon dinner at The General Muir is next weekend. So far we have 7. :(

From the previous Google docs form used to pick a date, I have not heard from the following people:

If you're one of these people, I'd really appreciate letting me know if you are going (via RSVP to the evite if you going, posting in this thread or RSVP if you are not). Thanks.

Still taking more?