Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Holy crap that is one step removed from Chick-fil-A hosting whatever the low rent form of a purity ball is.

Why can't they just be cool with the all you can eat chicken strip contests?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So, anybody got a handle on the state of the food truck scene to come this summer? Looks like Howell Mill Food Park has been scrapped somehow after an OK showing last year, and now there's at least one new giant field getting situated that's supposed to be a hub for the lot of them?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Their packaged smoked salmon has been good stuff, but it has been ages since we've gotten any other seafood there---I don't see how those smell issues could be anything other than bad timing at the very least as you certainly don't want that when after seafood.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
People can and will be straight up fight-begging at the Dekalb Farmer's Market---it is only a matter of time before you stop in an aisle, like say the oil and pasta section to examine something briefly out of the giant assortment, and some idiot decides the best way to help you make a decision is to smash their cart into your ankles in a quick jolt a time or so.

Most of the staff have been ok though, save for people wreaking destruction on packaging baked goods and whatnot at the end of the line and drat near crushing everything.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'd be interested in your recounting the Gunshow visit in full if you are up for it---it really sounded like the sort of place that will eventually wind up pretty special once they get all the kinks worked out and experience in dealing with each of the 2-3 seasons GA has left at this point as far as climate goes.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for that, definitely sounds like they are still finding their footing, but know where they are heading. I'd definitely be part of the "modest means" target audience, so thanks for the tip on snacks being potent probably mainly for that group. A delicious chicken biscuit is a pretty rare thing to hear somebody give a ringing endorsement for in the grand scheme of things---definitely bodes well.

No idea when I'll manage up there, perhaps sometime later this summer with a friend as we're about an hour+ outta town.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So, what's the thought from moreso local folks on the somewhat big seeming Atlanta Eats Live shindig come October 6?

http://atlantaeatslive.com/

It seems like solid value in terms of massive amount of foods from a few dozen places for $125, and I guess enough intrigue at the VIP $250 level to ensnare at least some folks---though I guess I just can't get a mental image going of such a thing going down in a amphitheatre versus sprawled out across some blocks someplace.

The show has resulted in a good many hungry moments on most weekends for the past 2 seasons, often times places I've never heard of, so I can definitely get behind the sentiment/prospect of delicious madness if they can pull this off well enough to make it an annual thing with another 2 seasons worth of outfits in the mix.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What's the word on Fritti? Down here in these parts, the end-all word on pizza of that style is Antico---but their little segment on Atlanta Eats from this past weekend makes it seem like this would also be a place worth checking out in a perhaps less frantic and/or costly environ compared to stories I've heard on Antico?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Is my memory playing tricks, or wasn't one of the key elements of Gunshow supposed to be making things far more approachable on the price front versus Chef Kevin's previous digs? I guess it could be a case of them not quite having all the gears clicked into place yet, but it seems a bit much for such a feat to basically require you to have already eaten a bowl of chicken soup at home or something and then treat it as something of just a bit extra from what I'm seeing of the above figures.

Of course, I still need to actually get up to the place proper at some point in the first place, but yeah---at this rate my darkening the doorstep of Chai Pani seems a much more attainable goal considering alongside others still.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That Villains place from Offbeat Eats last night looks pretty nifty/never heard of it---hold the Kewpie on the Godzilla and probably investigate a Mumm-Ra at the least and a fine meal looks like it'd be had.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It may be heretical to some/most, but the Bison burger at The Vortex is pretty spiffy---and I'm somebody that generally eats a lot of home cooking lamb, buffalo, etc.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Bison burger at Vortex is pretty decent(Granted, not exactly a wide world of options out there for it sadly...) and I also recall a decent spicy one of some sort that might've been Cajun?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The newest episode of Get Delicious a couple weeks on PBS back made a strong visual case for The Mad Italian's cheesesteak the same as most other places they covered off the beaten path for the most part---it looked like such a wonderful bombastic mess held together just enough.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
99% likelihood that I'd never be able to attend, but are local goons looking forward to Jim Stacy's (of Pallookaville) upcoming Historical/Geographical/Trend-based Dinner Party Series? Doesn't look like they have a proper page up just yet on the actual site, but have a FB link:

https://www.facebook.com/pallookaville/posts/10155064495720285

Seems like a spiffy little notion that the dude would surely try to make fun for all in attendance, and sensible enough as far as being able to just potentially get in on the subject matter meals of interest as opposed to having to throw down deep for a full series ticket.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If you happen to get lost in Decatur somehow while hitting up these other big institutions, Smoquehouse has some quite nice BBQ across a general spread---then some out there stuff like smoked jerk turkey that tends to not come up elsewhere. The Brisket is/was better than Fox Bros---though that depends on if Fox Bros changed anything after getting squished by that tree since the last time I made it up there to them.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I recall that they at least used to have some nifty Brisket Cheese Fries probably worth taking a crack at depending on how hungry you are versus the rest of the meal.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
As both are about as far away at an hour to hour and a half'ish despite one being I guess technically outside a bit: Who comes out on top between apparently, as of late, the only Nancy's left in the state period/luckily still has dine-in capabilities and the Chicago Pizza & Sports Grill under dramatically new management when it comes down to questing for deep dish pizza that isn't out of an Uno's chilled box at a grocery store? Unless there's some other contenders that I've somehow completely missed out on in this depressingly....uncrowded...field?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, checking the websites of the above 2 paint about as rosy a picture as you'd be liable to find---and it really does seem like that might be the only pair in the state outright, not even Atlanta and the surrounding areas like Smyrna for the more overtly Chicago place. Virtually everybody in this thread is closer to the action, as it were, than I...so yeah, I suppose if adventure avails then those options are more visible before you.

Deep dish is definitely something of an acquired taste, perhaps one of the few foods that actually feed on existing expectations if down with more traditional regional pizza styles one way or another. Can't find the Uno's often in stores and I'm not about to drop $50 or whatever on trying to get Malnati's or Giordano's in the mail...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

RHIN0002 posted:

If you're willing to travel a bit, there's a Rosati's (http://www.myrosatis.com/) right off 400 on Peachtree Parkway just south of Cumming. It's about a half-hour haul from North Atlanta. Their deep dish is solid and they've got a great draft beer selection to boot.

Cool, that's another bookmark for the eventual dream pile. Ah, that feeling of being a bit over an hour south of Atlanta~ That brings us up to 3, count 'em, 3 deep dish places in the entire state of GA!

My hope with Nancy's is that they are just re-consolidating their efforts into the core location, because otherwise that's a pretty extreme drop considering that, per my recollection prior to their most recent site redesign, there used to be like 4-5 other locations even if they were more carry out/delivery(?) inclined. Then again, well, restaurants that have been in Atlanta for decades going under despite inherent quality offerings? Now you're just talking crazy!....

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It would seem like the only way around it would be to Try* and be clever via having a nice late night out the day before Valentine's then escalate as soon as the clock strikes midnight and take it from there---most places that I've seen descend into an absolute hellscape due to it only undergo that manifestation from about Brunch(lunch)time onward into the evening on the day of, with the staff then a shell of their former selves for at least a couple days afterward from burning the candle from both ends and from the middle just because.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Is Nori Nori as potentially majestic as their little Atlanta Eats spot from a little while back indicates, particularly to folks far to the south of Atlanta where non "Generic Hibachi" Asian food is about all that's around? http://www.norinori.com/

For that much per person, especially if nobody is bothering with booze, it would seem totally worth an adventure up north?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Neat---dinner would be the most likely venue by far, though I can barely picture the kind of insane crowd that place could get on a given Friday night given how many tables they've apparently got. The hot menu/desserts intrigue me at least as much as the sushi, so as perhaps a first vehicle to finally try sushi outright it just might do the trick...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Any word on Tassa? It sure sounds like it is doing some things off the beaten path and the person I'd tempt the place to is from that region and has had zero strong options that I know of to chase at the best of it here semi-locally for nostalgia and otherwise.

http://tassarotishop.com/

BBQ chat: If in Decatur, go to Smoquehouse---they can do some wonderful things and changed my life in terms of brisket, jerk turkey, brunswick stew, beef ribs(drat you lack of local interest* the last time they tried~), smoked wings, etc.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The only caution I'd offer on Smoquehouse's brunswick is the last time I was there....too drat long ago now mind as I need to get back...the recipe seemed to have shifted slightly* towards a chunkier style but not then at such a drift so as to effect the flavor. All the brunswick I grew up around in south'ish GA was chunky and terrible in a....what to say..."warmed over last minute Church fare" character----never thought I'd find myself enraptured with the stuff until Smoquehouse forced a bowl on me stating they had their own way of doing things.

My standard for the old times there was to get a bowl of brunswick, which at the zenith was super finely wrought everything but so much put together such that it was still absolutely thick like an all-absorbing unctuous red swamp, then open it up while I devoured an overstuffed brisket on powerful texas toast(this they also had stopped doing of late on account of folks complaining*...damned bog standard plain white bread/bun barbarians messing it up for the rest of us when it could be so much more~) above it---invariably ample brisket would escape that wonderful sandwich only to then land and sink under in the stew, which was then stirred up at the end and consumed with all haste and zeal possible.

Good to know on the Tassa, the Marietta location would probably be the more likely one to pull of the pair---but the prospect of super strong Ginger beer alone is drat enticing as it is an exceedingly hard thing to find a good variety of.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Does it actually exist/how is the apparent all-you-can-eat buffet at Breakers Korean BBQ? It got the nod on Atlanta Eats last night, alongside a Tassa segment that made the place look even more appetizing in conjunction with the good things said in the thread here, but their website only seems to show picture of delicious looking food and not any finer details on price or the like...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Found a Feb article on that 9292 place---wow does that look/sound the best sort of insane, thanks venutolo~

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Morrow/Mt Zion location only opened up a few months ago...and this was after being delayed on opening for well north of a year---also hoping to check it out soon'ish as that report on the gist of things jives pretty well with what a few other folks that have already been are saying. Plus...hope burns for their apparent bakery and other such amenities as YDFM has been on something of a downward slide on quality of late in terms of various bits so having somewhere much closer stands to be quite a boon if the standards wind up solid---head north for Nam Dae Mun, head east for Farmview.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, that's definitely a good sign on the bread(parking lot bread is the finest of bread)---ostensibly they should have a good/better than usual French foundation of sorts given the whole South Korean angle if memory serves. A place where you can get a proper baguette and, apparently, a whole lamb or goat and all cuts that would arrive at that gestalt should the notion strike is a good one. Supposedly they are (going?) to be doing something with brisket in their in-house cafe, which nobody has quite ventured yet as everybody keeps getting overwhelmed by the general shopping and such, among other things...

Amusingly enough, with this 7th location being so incredibly late in finishing construction and getting open in full, the moment it'll have in the spotlight will be rather brief as they are well on their way on Location #8~

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Jack's has, or at least used to have as it has been awhile, a pretty great calzone/generous well seasoned marinara dipping bowl to boot. So many places skimp on the latter especially even if they get the former right, but drat if it doesn't make a difference.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Anybody took the plunge on Rose + Rye at that Castle-thing yet? It seems to have opened/may well be open today....they don't quite have the Menu up yet, but they do have a site to go with alongside the Eater article and whatnot from a few weeks back.

http://roserye.com/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Am I missing the obvious somewhere or is there just not some kind of organized website that keeps comprehensive tabs on restaurants of all sorts accessible through more or less walking the Beltline? Ponce City Market(neat place) and Krog Street Market(didn't get a chance to get over there when checking Ponce) things have their little sites covering everything under their direct umbrella, but surely there's a better way than just trawling Zagat and the like to get a grasp on the big picture as it stands and as it develops further seeing as how it definitely looked like there was more construction still to come?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for that BBQ article, I'd actually yet to hear anything about B's Cracklin but man alive does that sound promising and their menu outright looks super solid at a glance.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
As apparently, to much sorrow, Swallow at the Hollow faded out earlier this year, are there any other (BBQ joints) in or around Atlanta that make their own bread and such in-house to about as high a standard as the meat itself? Or even anywhere left in the state outright?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There can never be enough Detroit Pizza available in the whole of this state of GA---so that's great to hear of a newcomer on the beltline at that.

This brings the grand sum up to...about a couple/few!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
We are also getting a Gino's East "soon" and AT LEAST 2 Slim & Husky's somewhere in 2019!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Condolences---that's one of the saddest feelings as a great BBQ place can be enormously hard to find and the gap between them can span years. My beloved Smoquehouse still lives, yet so far away and utterly inundated with catering work that they only open up for a day or so in any given week to function as an actual place to eat.

In other happenings, a recent episode of Atlanta Eats went to Ponce Market to a place I'd never heard of nor saw last time I got to wander around there...which prompted me to check their site for the first time in ages---which led me to see a heap of also apparently new and upcoming stuff though I wonder where they've managed to put everybody as the place seemed pretty full up unless there's been some that have busted out?

So...what is great/real interesting/still alive at Ponce of late for those who actually get there with some regularity?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I find it strange that Krog/MSM/Ponce haven't worked out some kind of mutually assured pact on when to try opening back up amidst all this chaos today heading into Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'm still in semi-disbelief that the Foodworks is going to open up more or less fully in the near future from what I gather.