Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I did the Sweetwater tour a couple weeks ago. The tour itself is pretty bland and takes away from drinking time. For :10bux: you get six drink tickets plus a pint glass to take home with you. The lines can get pretty long but it's a pretty good afternoon of drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

When they say Belgian sours does that mean Lambics or what?

edit: I wish they'd give some indication of the sort of food they're gonna have, though. Most of their booze doesn't appeal to me.
Lambics in addition to Flanders Red and Brown ales. Explained in a wine analogy, the Fanders reds and browns would be your red wines while lambics and other fruit sours are your white wines.

I'll also qualify my statements re: Sweetwater tour that I went on a Saturday afternoon where the tour was extremely crowded (60+ people). They really only showed us the bottling system, took us out back to explain their expansion and then took us into the freezer. We didn't get to see any of the brewing process itself. Maybe I should go on another day?

mindphlux posted:

*nerd note : I brew beer, and have ambitious half-baked plans to begin a food/beer-related business.
As someone who recently started homebrewing, are there any decent homebrewing clubs in the area?

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 26, 2012

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I'm not really looking for anything formal, but it'd be nice to find a couple of like minded dudes who just care about making good beer, share tips, and not worry about competitions and all the jazz.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

What area are you in? My dad and his friends are the exec board of New London brew club and they're all really great. New London swept most categories at Peach State this year so they're a really talented bunch too. My brother and I brew as well, it's kind of a family thing now. :3:

I live up in North Buckhead near Chastain Park.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
That list look amazing, but I just worry that Brick Store is going to be absolutely packed tonight.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Just got back from Brick Store and had the Allagash Burbon Black, Jailhouse Breakout with Oreo on cask, and Bitches Brew. All were fanatstic, but holy gently caress was it cooking inside. Felt like the AC wasn't even on. GF had the duck, but it looked a bit overdone to me, although it tasted mighty fine.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I was unimpressed when I visited Grindhouse at Piedmont. I'm not sure if it was an off day but my burger really seemed just above run of the mill for burger joints. I'll go again to see if it's just me. Five Napkin Burger that opened up on Piedmont and 10th isn't too shabby either, but the prices are way high.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Waited for an hour to try out Ria's Bluebird for brunch today. Pancakes were pretty good but my scrambled eggs were dry and lukewarm. In hindsight I should have gotten the pancake special with the cherry compote. While I was satisfied by my food and the service was nice, I probably wouldn't wait for that long again to get a table. I'm not quite sure why anyone else does either... :iiam:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
South City Kitchen is mighty fine. Flat Iron steak came with a wonderful pablano steak sauce. Service was a bit cold though. Although the beer nerd within me was pretty wtf with them serving an IPA in a Pilsner glass. :goonsay:

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 15, 2012

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
For Mexican food at least, I almost always end up at Bone Garden Cantina. What are some decent Cuban places?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I've never been, but Serenbe Inn always piqued my interest. Seems like there is enough stuff to do in the community for a weekend at least.

http://www.serenbeinn.com/

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
A new place called Buttlemilk Kitchen is opening up just down the road from my apartment complex tomorrow. Seems they are mainly focusing on Breakfast/Lunch with BYOB fried chicken dinners on Tuesday nights. http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/09/04/buttermilk-kitchen-opens-later-this-month/

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
My family is hitting up Canoe tomorrow for my dad's birthday. Anyone have any dishes they recommend?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Not really surprising and a bit old (I just heard about it), but Five Napkin Burger shut it's doors after just 12 months. Guess serving overpriced burgers in a market saturated with hamburger joints is a bit tough. Seems that the whole corner of 10th and Piedmont has the toughest luck with local businesses lately.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
What's the consensus on Local Three?

Also, I really enjoy the Dekalb Farmer's Market, however I just cannot get my girlfriend to go there with me because the last time we went she was completely flustered by how crowded it was with complete assholes.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
No, it's really just that people were pretty inconsiderate when walking around, leaving their carts in the middle of aisles, cutting in front of others, etc. I guess some lady bumped into her in the bathroom and yelled at her for some reason. It was very crowded and I think it just flustered her. I didn't really have a problem besides being mildly annoyed that carts were blocking of a majority of the produce section.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I know next to nothing about the world of barista competitions. But I guess there are some big events this weekend? Maybe this interests people here, who knows.

http://octanecoffee.com/2012/11/its-competition-time-again/

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
So Dante's is closing in the next few months, I wonder if anyone will actually miss the place...

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I should clarify, Dante's was pretty impressive for the experience and ambiance of dining next to/in a ship, but I found it super over priced. Fun once, but more of an amusement park than dining establishment. I can understand people would dig it, it's just not my cup of tea.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm new(er) to ATL so thank you all for this thread. I read another thread similar to this one and here is what they said:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Chinese? - Peter Changs Tasty China 2.
High end? - Bacchanalia, Empire State South, Abattoir.
Persian? - Rumi's Kitchen.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

I would list Shoya as well for Japanese.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
What time did you go because I stopped by at 11:30 and the place was absolutely packed. It was just me and I didn't even bother to wait for a table at the bar it was so crowded.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I, too, would enjoy that. I have yet to visit Chani Pani yet.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Turns out Shake Shack is opening a location in Buckhead. No one tell them ATL is already over the burger craze :ssh:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I went with my parents several months back and had a very pleasurable experience. Food was pretty good and the chef came our and chatted with out table for quite some time. Very personable atmosphere from what I remember.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Finally got around to visiting Gunshow yesterday. I was extremely pleased with all of the dishes and the service was smooth and efficient. The chefs were able to provide the complete variety of dishes at exactly the right pacing (my table of 5 split a single of each dish). Kevin's Sunday Roast beef was simply the most divine piece of meat I've put in my mouth :smuggo:

However, I'm not sure how well this concept works with smaller groups or couples since I wanted to try every single dish on the menu, turning away a dish would be so difficult! Definitely a fantastic addition to the ATL scene, and makes up for a less than stellar experience I had at The Optimist a month ago.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Mammon Loves You posted:

What did you find wrong with The Optimist? I was planning on going there next week for my birthday dinner.

The bar was extremely slow at getting our drinks out and most of the mains tasted off. I had the poached swordfish and you could tell that it wasn't very fresh. The appetizers were quite good though. I'd go again though to see if it was just a fluke since everyone else seems to have enjoyed the place.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Still haven't gotten to General Muir, but I suppose a goon meet is as good as time as ever.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Really wish I could have gone to the MLP meetup, but I'm currently in Tokyo :smug: One Eared Stag sounds like a really good idea for a goonbrunch.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Threw a vote to Gunshow. It's been the best meal I've had all year (my gf has been begging to go back).

I have to admit, since moving to the Buckhead area a little over a year ago, it hasn't been TOO bad, except when my drive home past The Ivy and Johnny's Hideaway makes me feel like I'm a car in Frogger. Seriously, I've had way too many close calls by assholes just running into the street at night. Then again, I don't really visit many of the local places anyways since they aren't my style :smugdog:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Oh hey, I can actually go to one of these things now. :unsmith:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I'll see you all there, however I'll be without my +1

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
ATL Goons: A+++ Would consume calories with again

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Just say no to the Varisty

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Went to King + Duke last night. It was pretty solid, but service could have been better. We arrived for an 8:45 reservation and didn't get seated until 9:30. Apparently several tables were sitting with their checks for a while (one table sat with their check for an hour!). I'm not too familiar with the restaurant business, but it seems at that point you'd think the manager would politely ask them to leave or order more food.

I ordered the bone marrow starter and the lamb shank. The bone marrow arrived with a super rich short rib marmalade that really overpowered the actual marrow, which was hard to find under the mound of short rib. It was nice, but I wish there was more of a balance. The lamb shank was great, but it was a rather spartan dish.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of ramen, Guy Wong is gonna be serving some on Sundays for the next three months at Grant Park Octane.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Going to hit up Kimball House tonight for my birthday. Anyone got any recommendations?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Kimball House was pretty loving good! Their drink service was nothing sort of amazing, every single drink was top notch. Highly recommend the pecan old fashioned and the Death + Company. Had the three course steak meal, which was great, expect the steak was cooked more than I would have liked (they didn't ask how I wanted it, so I probably should have specified). Definitely recommend!

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I really think if you go to Kimball House and don't at least order a couple cocktails, you are doing yourself a disservice.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Picked up some BBQ from The Greater Good BBQ, which opened up recently on Roswell Rd near the Fellini's and La Fonda combo. Parking was a bit limited, but inside they have seating for about 20-30 people. For a Friday night, it was not very crowded so I was able to get my order quite quickly. No bar/alcohol is served currently, so it's BYOB.

Food was hit and miss. I got a two meat/two side combo plate for $15. They had a special chopped rib, so I ordered that and the sliced brisket. The special was clearly the better of the two, spicy and rich. Brisket however was disappointing, dry and really needing a healthy dose of sauce when served. Sides were acceptable, with the mac and cheese being surprisingly good.

I'll probably go again to try out some other selections and see if the brisket was a fluke. Also, it's really close to my place so convenience is a big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

mindphlux posted:

edit unrelated : gently caress ford fry

this is my new atlanta-dining-scene mantra.
I take it you took a trip to St. Cecilia?