Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Eater.com put out a list of 38 Essential Atlanta Restaurants. The ones on the list I've been to were:

Cakes & Ale - Modern American cuisine with expensive and very small dishes. I wasn't too impressed for the cost of dining.

Little Bangkok - Best Thai food in the Atlanta area. The spicy seafood soup and pad thai are amazing. Shady neighborhood and difficult parking :(

Other good restaurants I've been to recently:

Cafe 640 - Their website calls them eclectic cuisine. I really enjoyed the fresh made from scratch pasta and they've got a good beer selection. Right next to HD1 which is also awesome in ways that Flip Burger is not.

Iberian Pig - Modern Spanish tapas, if I'm going to spend $5-10 for each plate with a couple bites of food I better be blown away by the quality and this place did not disappoint.

Sprig - Modern American and convenient for those of us who live northeast of Atlanta. I had the duck breast which was perfect and the chocolate tart with black pepper ice cream is out of this world.

I'm hoping to try Cardamom Hill and Sun In My Belly Supperclub in the next few weeks so I'll check back in on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Sorry for the confusion, Sprig is actually ITP at Lavista and Oak Grove. I should have said "in northeast Atlanta" instead "northeast of Atlanta".

For someone actually OTP northeast I recommend Zapata in downtown Norcross for their molcajete or crepas poblanas. Their website isn't working for me right now but I linked it anyway.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Have any of you guys ever been to the Grindhouse Burgers fancypants tuesday thing? Is it worth anything?

I've been to Grindhouse's fancypants Tuesday before and was really disappointed. I wasn't impressed by their burgers and you can't substitute on the special so if it has something you don't like (mushrooms :() you're poo poo out of luck. If I was going to get a burger I'd go to Five Guys. But if your significant other insists on a place with veggie burgers I guess I would go Yeah Burger or Vortex.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Gunshow is awesome and it's too bad that some Yelp reviewers can't handle the unique dining experience.

If anybody goes, roll with the punches and choose dishes on the spot as they come around. Don't be that guy and pick out one dish on the menu and then stew for an hour not eating because it doesn't come by your table. Also no cork fee is the best.

ed: They have a chef's table up front and we asked about it. It's $1000 for the night, up to 6 guests, everyone can get 1 of each of the entire menu and they'll accommodate wine requests and order them ahead of time for the table.

Mammon Loves You fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 4, 2013

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Chef Liu was one of my favorites but they failed a health inspection this year and I haven't been back since. :( Still if you go the leek pie, pan fried pork buns, steamed pork buns and soup dumplings are all excellent.

Did anybody see that Two Urban Licks (along with Ru San's mentioned earlier in the thread) failed its most recent health inspection too?

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
I went to Saltyard, a tapas place in Buckhead, last weekend with some friends. We split about 10 or so different plates and everything was amazing. Some favorites:

Thai style ceviche with coconut milk
Grilled octopus, incredibly tender
Albondigas with smoked almond romesco was my favorite, specifically the romesco sauce.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Going to Bacchanalia on Saturday. I am debating going with the full wine pairing. It will be my Waterloo.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
So Bacchanalia was great but I regret going with the suggested wine pairings. Because of the dishes I picked I ended up with 3 dessert wines that night which was way out of balance. I should've noticed that and picked out my own pairings. The veal sweetbreads were perfect and if you leave when the Star Provisions bakery is closing they'll give you as much free bread, cookies and cupcakes as you can carry away.

The whole thing was overshadowed by the fact that 2 days later I went to Le Pigeon in Portland, got the chef tasting and ended up having the best meal I've ever eaten in my life. First World Problems :qq:

Mammon Loves You fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 10, 2013

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

WaterIsPoison posted:

less than stellar experience I had at The Optimist a month ago.

What did you find wrong with The Optimist? I was planning on going there next week for my birthday dinner.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
The General Muir Reuben being on Creative Loafing's 100 Atlanta bucket list foods is well deserved. Just went there for the first time last weekend and man if it wasn't the best Reuben I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Does anyone know where you can get dandelion blossoms in Atlanta for making dandelion wine? I looked at Buford Hwy Farmer's Market and couldn't find any. Dekalb Farmer's Market maybe?