Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hi! I'm moving from Richmond VA to Atlanta in June. I'm a bartender with a fair bit of skill in the craft-cocktail-y side of things. I'll have my Level 2 Cicerone certification by the time I move down there, as well as my Level 1 Sommelier. I'm hoping to find a cool bar in need of a bartender. Failing that, somewhere I can wait tables that is reasonably respectable while I work my way into the Atlanta scene. Where should I look? I'll be living in the Virginia Highlands/Edgewood area, so hopefully somewhere around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I guess I was really hoping to hear from yall what the truly excellent bars are in the area. Any leads?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
All very helpful stuff. Thanks yall!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Reporting back to say that I have an interview the week of when I move down there on the 23rd for Watchman's, the place Kimball House is opening in Krog Street Market, as well as for Kimball House itself. The hiring manager said she'd consider me for both places and we'd decide on which one works best. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, thread!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Got the gig at Watchman’s, very down with their approach to hospitality. Real, real dudes there. I’ve been getting better acquainted with my surroundings recently (this is day three of living here for me) and found out that I’m a mile or so away from Staplehouse and Golden Eagle. And I just looked up Beetlecat and it’s a mile and a half away and good lord it looks adorable. I think this city might rule. I’m happy to be here.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Also I forgot the original reason I started typing that post. Where are the good liquor stores around here? There’s a lot more fun amari and stuff down here and I don’t really know where to go for that stuff.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Next time you're at Krog come check out Watchman's, we opened on Tuesday and I've been very impressed with how together everything is. I was fully expecting to have to wait a couple weeks before telling people to come in and check it out but the Kimball House folks really know what they're doing. It's a nice place.

Plus we have the only Green Chartreuse machine on Earth, and shots from it are only six bucks on Happy Hour, so there's that.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Tatsuta Age posted:

One of my old friends kate works the bar there I think

Kate rules.

Lawen posted:

lol is it like the Jager chiller machines that have a row of upside down bottles sticking out of it but with Chartreuse branding? I find that hilarious for some reason but am now wondering why there aren't Fernet Branca machines like that.

My two favorite Kimball House cocktails (and two of my favorites ever) were their Cherry Julep and the Sour Cherry Phosphate; either on the new menu?

Yeah, same kind of machine. It's an old Tuaca machine that one of our liquor reps hand-painted for us. Tonight I backed into the button and dispensed ice-cold Chartreuse down the back of my pants. I don't recommend doing that.

No shared cocktails between the two bars. We're focusing on rum, agave and Chartreuse primarily, where KH is mostly whiskey and gin. Lots of daiquiris, swizzles, and a really good rum and tonic on draft.

venutolo posted:

I was there last Wednesday. I asked for a "poop dood" and just got funny looks.

You probably got funny looks because you were yelling from the other side of the locked door of a restaurant that hadn't opened yet.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

venutolo posted:

I assure you I was there last Wednesday as were many people. I had oysters, tuna crudo, shrimp roll, and hush puppies. I said hi to people I knew.

Christ, didn't realize we've been open for a week already. My bad. That shrimp roll fuckin whips tho right?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Started as a server, have begun moving up the bartending ranks. I had been behind the bar for two years before this but the scene here is quite a bit more advanced than back in sleepy old Richmond. Much to learn.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hell yeah. Be aware Watchman's closes at 12. Ask for Charles and I'll buy you a Chartreuse. Will be inquiring w/r/t presence of stairs in your house.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You will have hosed up if you stayed in Decatur and didn't go to Kimball House.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Shouts to the two goons I met today who didn't tell me who the gently caress they are on this website. Y'all are great regardless and having to explain that I brought in guests to the restaurant because I know them anonymously on an internet forum was a unique joy.

Looking forward to trying Hattie B's a few weeks to a month from now. Apparently their cooks made food for our whole staff last week on a day that I was off, so they rule in my book.

Also I have to sing the praises of the secret-menu breakfast sandwich at Ticonderoga Club if y'all aren't familiar. It's called the Yankee, it's bacon, egg and American cheese on a house kaiser roll, they make like a dozen every night around 11pm, and I don't know how much they cost because the only times I've ever had one were because one of our managers went over there and bought out however many they had left as a reward to the bar staff for a good night. They're seriously extremely good. But don't blow this poo poo up, it's the only thing that keeps me going some nights and I'm only telling y'all because I know you're cool.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm proud of what we do at Watchman's. We revamped a few things in the past couple months that might be of interest to yall: oysters on happy hour are now super cheap (most are $1.00-$1.50), and we now have six to eight cocktails on our menu that rotate monthly, which is much much more frequently than most places. Current menu has an egg nog with Plantation pineapple rum and house coconut cream. It's loving delicious, and the amount of people who unblinkingly order it with their oysters is absolutely hilarious.

I'm LLooking forward to checking out LLoyd's, too. It's super close to my apartment and all the photos I've seen of the interior are really impressive. Plus they carry loving Labatt Blue and Lone Star. Who does that?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The Cuban sandwich at El Super Pan fuckin slaps. It's the only thing I ever eat there.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Empire State South is like four blocks from there. Torched Hop Brewing is also nearby and a nice place to get a beer. They do a double cheeseburger, fries and any draft beer for $10 on Mondays. They could go to Ponce City Market and walk around, there's a bunch of decent-to-awesome food there of all different descriptions. Wagaya is a straight shot west down 14th and has some of my favorite Japanese food in town, very affordable too.

The West Midtown neighborhood is also easily Uberable from that hotel, which has plenty of great dining. Miller Union, Barcelona, Taqueria del Sol, etc.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Gaja's to-go options are pretty nice. My fiance and I are actually planning on ordering from Kimball House tomorrow. They include loaves of bread and pints of ice cream on their to-go menu, which is really cool. Bottles of wine are priced at a really low markup.

I actually just started bartending at Little Bear in Summerhill right before this all happened. We pivoted to a to-go prix fixe tasting menu for two at $55 that people have just not been able to get enough of. I honestly think it's the best to-go offering on this side of town. Menu changes every week. Check it out on Instagram.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Me and the other four FOH staff are actually making enough off of to-go tips to survive, which is kind of nuts. Jarrett has been doing this thing where he gets in super-limited bottles of wine and sells them at like a 150% markup, and that markup goes to the staff as a bonus. People get to get their hands on rare wine, and they get to directly support us.

It is insane that Talat went ahead and opened instead of waiting. Judging by how fast they sold out I guess it was a smart move.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
gently caress yes, thank you.

Can we talk about Supremo real quick? Like I get what they’re doing, it’s tasty, but they’re charging four American dollars for one little-rear end taco on like a four-inch tortilla. Just unbelievably expensive for what is traditionally very accessible, working-class street food.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Make a reservation at Little Bear if you can, otherwise come get on the waitlist for a walk-in seating and wait half an hour or so at Halfway Crooks across the street. Ask for Charles, I'm usually around.

Three Taverns opened a new spot on Memorial in Reynoldstown, it's nice. Their beer has been getting better.

El Tesoro is fuckin fantastic for burritos, tacos and coffee. They've even expanded their bar and have a decent mezcal selection. Show up at off-hours and chill out in the yard for a while.

8ARM got the chef from Ginya and is crushing it as a Japanese food place. Haven't had the full menu myself yet but the late-night kushiyaki definitely slaps. Wine program fantastic as ever.

OK YAKI is new for you I guess? Okonomiyaki and yakisoba in East Atlanta, south of EAV on Moreland. Really good, surprisingly cheap Japanese street food without being full izakaya. Pretty nice cocktail program courtesy of an ex-Kimball House bartender, plus a lot of shochu, which is cool.

Octopus Bar just reopened and is as good as it ever was. Went and got down at Mary's with friends a couple weeks ago and then walked over to Octopus and ordered one of everything. Great time.

...I dunno, I don't go out much right now. Atlanta kinda just reopened, I've been busy enough as it is.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

kuskus posted:

Has N E 1 been to Gigi's now that it's open where Gato used to be?

Went there last week with my wife and her parents. It kicked rear end. They’re fleshing things out a bit more but the menu is still pretty small. They have a really nice pasta machine now. I recommend getting in there earlier in the week, Tuesday or Wednesday. Mondays tend to be packed with industry folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Breaker Breaker is being opened by the Grindhouse team, who are apparently good dudes who treat their people well. Ran into the bar manager at Manny's a few weeks ago and she had nothing but good things to say. She seemed really stoked about the place so I'm eager to check it out. I don't know anything about Mrs. Alton Brown, that's the first I've heard about any of that. If you're coming to Halfway Crooks come see us at Little Bear across the street, I run the bar program.