Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Hutla posted:

You can add me to the hordes of fans of Holeman & Finch. I live in Chicago now and think H&F is better than Longman & Eagle. If they still have it, get the Pig: Nose to Tail

:hfive:
What's up fellow Atlanta - Chicago transplant. The only restaurant in Atlanta I miss is Holeman and Finch, I was planning on going when I was in town for Thanksgiving but I couldn't find the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I was there a couple weeks ago and the place was almost empty at 6:45 on a Saturday but quickly filled up after that.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Went to Pho Bac last night and am now craving more. Any good Vietnamese/pho recommendations?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Awesome thanks for the recommendations guys.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I went to One Eared Stag for some Saturday brunch and had a fairly pleasant time. My girlfriend and I split the dumpster salad, biscuits and gravy (super peppery in a weird way), and the chef's breakfast, which was highlighted by the pork belly and grits and the fried quail breast biscuit. Not bad for under $50 before tip with drinks, although I would've liked the food to be a little warmer temperature wise. They also need to update their beer list as I struck out on my first three choices with the server generally being unaware as to what they actually had.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

venutolo posted:

Did you like them? They're my favorite item on the brunch menu and I order them literally every time.

I did like them and could've easily eaten another serving. The pepper didn't really bother me and I probably wouldn't have noticed it if my girlfriend wouldn't have continuously pointed it out. They definitely could have been warmer, by the time we finished they were practically cold.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Bourdain certainly didn't help

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Went to Holeman and Finch on one of his shows and took what was already a bro shitshow and cranked it up to where it is now.

That's according to my sister. I haven't been in years.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Has the service improved at Gunshow? It seemed like there were quite a few kinks when I went there last a couple of months ago.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

venutolo posted:

Ate at Gunshow again tonight after not being able to get it out of my mind all week. I love the experience, but it is loving expensive. I spent $162 just by myself with no alcohol. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

What were your issues at that time?

The service was just inconsistent and a bit disjointed. We would be sitting around for 15 minutes with no food or options and then suddenly 3 or 4 options would drop by one after another. Also, the servers were very inattentive and we spent most of the meal with empty glasses. Nothing was terrible, but at that price point there's an expectation of service that wasn't necessarily there. Even with ordering almost every dish available we got out under $200, which I didn't mind paying as the food was very very good and for the most part made up for the service issues.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Looking for a good birthday dinner recommendation. We currently have reservations for St. Cecelia but my girlfriend is worried it might be a little stuffy - any opinions about this place or others welcome. We will be in Buckhead but will travel for the right place.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Landrobot posted:

Do you have any particular preferences? We know Buckhead backwards and forwards. Last year, we did my birthday at Seven Lamps; it was pretty awesome.

Not anything particular, just wondering if there's any new or interesting restaurants that would make for a good date night. Lusca has been recommended along with Miller Union, and our preference would be for something more casual and less "nice", if that makes any sense.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

That's kind of the vibe we were getting from St. Cecelia so it's good to have it confirmed.

Bacchanalia is awesome but way more than we want to do food wise that night. Any opinions on Better Half?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Thanks for all the opinions and recommendations...still having trouble making a final decision with all the great options but I feel much more prepared to do so.

I totally agree with everyone on Taqueria del Sol. I don't love or hate it, it's just ok. I've been pretty disappointed with the Mexican food options in general since moving back here, to the point that the first place we plan on eating in Chicago when we go for a wedding is our (former) neighborhood taco joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Can we talk about service?

It seems like most restaurants in Atlanta either don't care about or are simply incapable of providing good service. Most places I've been in the last ~year since I moved back here have provided service passable at best and insulting at worst. I've never had a meal with a larger disconnect between the quality of the food and the service as I did at Better Half...starting with my girlfriend being served a meat dish after ordering the veggie tasting menu, wine pairings and dishes not being explained, to a borderline rude response from the gm after responding to an email asking for comments on our meal. There seems to be a level of service that was standard in Chicago whether I was spending $50 or $300, poo poo was on point 99% of the time. I'm sure there are plenty of
places that provide good service but I guess I'm commenting on a general vibe I get from a lot of places where all the focus seems to be on the food and not the overall experience.

Are my expectations too high?