Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

godzirraRAWR posted:

I dearly love both of these places. The wine and cheese nights at Muss and Turner turn me into a gibbering loon.

And I really do eat lunch at least twice a week at Yakitori Jinbei. I was honestly surprised to see both of these here since I'm there all the time.

I'm accidentally hip! gently caress!

I'm a big fan of both of these places too.

At Yakitori Jinbei, my favorite dish is the half chicken/half egg on rice dish. I forget the name, but it's not oyakudon, but like a half and half dish, with scrambled egg on one side, and chopped chicken on the other side. It's so simple but I can chow down the whole bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

mickeymickey posted:

I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm a DC/Northern VA transplant that just moved down here in January. Is there any decent pho in Atlanta? I'm dying here. There's a place near our apartment (west end of the Georgia Tech campus) called "City Cafe" that advertises pho but it doesn't look particularly authentic.

That place is just s mismatch of different asian foods, but it's really the badly run chinese restaurant next door to it and they are just known for cheap chinese food and being open late for the GaTech students.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the chinese place bought City Cafe and expanded into it. They just haven't taken down the City Cafe sign yet.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 29, 2012

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Anyone see that guy who parked his giant grill right in the middle of Tech Square and was selling BBQ directly from it. I didn't see a sign or anything. He just had his grill on wheels towed behind a big white pickup truck.

There was a line of students there and it smelled good from my car. It's too bad I was driving to have lunch with some folks or I would have stopped and tried it out.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Anyone been to Curly's Chicken on Howell yet? http://curlysfriedchicken.com/

I'm thinking of going by for lunch.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

It's drat good fried chicken, but it's no Le Roy's Fried Chicken (which used to be in the same spot, part owned by the Fellini's / La Fonda folks). My guess is that Le Roy's was just too fussy and expensive, even though you got a loving huge piece of chicken, and it was so delicious that it could drive a person insane. I hope that she (Julia Le Roy) goes on to do some other good things.

Ok, so I wasn't crazy because I knew that place had a different name. It's too bad I never went by when it was Le Roy's if it was really that good. She must not have been there very long.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

It was pretty good. 8 bucks for 3 thighs, cole slaw, a large side of collard greens, sweet tea and a slice of white bread is not bad :)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

http://holeman-finch.com/

Although I don't think they take reservations. We just show up early for dinner.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Canton House is pretty good in this goon's opinion

I switch between Canton House and Royal China which is just down the road from Buford. The wait time seems shorter at Royal China.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Does anyone know if Circle Sushi on Roswell Rd. is open for lunch on Sunday? I've called and they do not have voicemail and their website and Google does not have any hours.

The only thing I can find is their lunch menu says (everyday), but I'm not sure if that means they are open every day for lunch, or that they have lunch on the days they are open.

I know it's a little thing, but it's a pet peeve of mine when a restaurant doesn't have clear hours listed somewhere prominently.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I actually had someone read the Japanese version of the Circle Sushi site in case I missed it there, and she said she got the feeling that it's one of those restaurants that just likes their regulars and don't want a lot of outsiders coming in, so maybe not posting a schedule is on purpose. Which seems weird to me for any restaurant.

My wife just had a craving for sushi for lunch, but we ended up getting Korean on Buford. That's what I love about Korean and Chinese places. They are almost always open.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Talking about oysters, I'm going to The Optimist tonite.

http://theoptimistrestaurant.com/

I hear it's owned by the JCT people, but that's it. It's for my dad's 68th birthday, so hopefully they are good. And yes, I'm getting me some oysters.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

FordCQC posted:

Anyone ever been to Ege Sushi in Marietta?

My favorite sushi place and I live in Atlanta. Part of the reason is the sushi, but also I love family run places. The husband is one of the sushi chefs, wife and their two daughters are waitresses. It can be a little slow when they are busy, but we usually call for reservations and/or eat an early dinner.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

We ate at Gio's Chicken the other night. It was just ok. We got the Diablo Chicken and it was roast chicken cooked with those spicy red peppers in olive oil that they put out on the tables at Antico. Tasted good, but was really oily and messy to eat. Also, got the pasta with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and olive oil. It was ok, but nothing special. Everything comes with a salad that has an olive oil dressing too, so I had just finished that and the entrees came out with all oil too was a bit much, but maybe that was just our error in ordering the same items.

Some other notes was the music was way too loud. An old couple complained and the waitress struggled with the iPad mini mounted on the wall, and she never did turn down the volume. It was loud enough that you could not talk to each other in a normal voice. And the sink they wanted me to get table water from was filled with dirt, as if someone had just rinsed a mop in it.

I'd like to try it again, but at 16 bucks an entree, it's a bit expensive for what you get. They also have a little note on the menu that says no sharing, so I guess that means you can't get one entree and share it with two people...

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Man, I was so disappointed to see Curly's on Howell was closed. Their facebook said they are moving, but they better not move farther than Tech. Where am I gonna get my fried chicken?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Not really dining news...but I was driving by Olympic Flame diner over on Marietta blvd, and saw it was changed to a Whammy Chicken. New sign up and everything.

I was going to be all happy that there was a chicken place near my house, but then I noticed all the film trucks and equipment. I drove by slowly and noticed they were actually filming inside and could see two people wearing bright suits hugging or fighting or something.

Anyway, back at my desk I googled it and it said that Anchorman 2 was filming there today. And drat, they were filming early, because it was about 7am when I drove by.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

We went to Buttermilk Kitchen for brunch and the wait was pretty short. The waffles there are great. My son got waffles, and I got a hamburger, and I liked his better.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Anyone try Ben's Brown Bag on Howell where Curly's(and before that, Leroy's) used to be? I feel like that location is cursed or something.

https://www.grubhub.com/atlanta/bens-brown-bag/?showSmallSearchWidget=Y

Really simple menu with burgers and chips. I might try it for lunch if I can get my coworkers along. Recently they've all been on a health kick and don't want to eat at these greasy places.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Last Friday, we brought some friends to Der Biergarten. Our first time there and I heard about it here. We absolutely loved it, and my 4 year old devoured a whole wurst and pretzel, so it's kid friendly too. I only had two different beers, but the other folks had several and liked everything they got.

We didn't order entrees per person, but just got a bunch of different appetizers and shared. For the finale we go the whole roast pork shank, and it was amazing. Crunchy, crispy, fatty pork skin. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it days later.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

mindphlux posted:

haven't tried the turner field one, but the real one is the juciest thing imaginable burger wise, so it probably just sucked.

I split a burger with some folks a couple weeks ago and its drippingness with juicy grease was basically the first thing everyone commented on.

as far as overcooked though, they do cook it 100% grey to get a good sear on it, so if you're expecting pink, not this one...

Because of these two posts, I just randomly decided to get the H&F burger at the Braves game today. We walked thru the gates and saw the sign for it; and it sparked my memory of reading this thread just the other night.

And there was almost no line, so I just walked up there, and in 5 minutes, had a double stack, fries, and a coke. It was really juicy and tasty, and I pretty much inhaled the burger as I was starving and it was already 1:30 and the game had started. It had really thinly cut onions and pickles and two slices of cheese. It's the kind of burger you need to eat wrapped up, and you lick your fingers while you do.

I'm really not sure the whole thing is worth $15, but it was probably better than most anything at the game. The homemade ketchup was pretty good, but my son ate most of the fries. I know they can't use glass bottles, but I'd love if they gave you the classic coke glass bottle. It'd give it more of that classic American feel to it.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 16, 2013

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

venutolo posted:

Correct.

Their daily dinner specials are:
Wednesday - pierogies
Thursday - brisket (sous vide)
Friday - fried chicken
Saturday - crab Reuben

Reubens are my favorite sandwich and I've never had a Crab Reuben. That looks amazing. We went to brunch last month at Muir and loved it. My wife and I split one of those special bagel platters and the 4 year old had latkes.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Talking about Heirloom reminds me, did you guys see they stopped dine in service?

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/06/28/heirloom-market-to-stop-dinein-service-become-togo-and-catering-only.php

Kind of sucks, but understandable because parking there was a bitch. I hadn't been in while, but I remember at least 6 months ago, people were parking in the grass and everywhere they could. We made the mistake of meeting someone there and it took forever to just get in and seated. The food was great though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I had bibimbap at Umma's House in Tech Square for lunch. It wasn't bad really, but I specifically asked the egg to be runny, and it came out cooked all the way thru. I like to break the egg and mix it all up with that spicy miso sauce. I would have complained but it took a good while to come out and they had a lunch crowd waiting. I think the second closest bibimbap from Tech is Takorea, but sometimes I don't like to leave campus for lunch.

The only plus is I think I have crush on the Indian girl with bright blue eyes who works there.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Las Tortas Locas off of Buford is like that if you want an authentic Mexican place. They gave me a bit of attitude for not speaking Spanish, but the food was good. It got recommended by a Mexican friend and we probably should have gone with them instead of going there by ourselves.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

It's way OTP, but we just went to Blue Fin Sushi up in Johns Creeks. They had a Tonkotsu Ramen with pickled mustard that was really good, and large enough really that you can split it with two people. I pigged out and had the whole thing though. We went at 6pm on Saturday, right when they opened, and about 5-6 Japanese families with kids in tow walked in immediately for dinner.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

One of the commentators of that article said Raku Ramen is opening up a second location on Marietta St where Burger Joes used to be. I Googled it and the last mention of this was in May. Does anyone know if this is still happening? If a tonkatsu and ramen place opened this close to my work, I will be eating there every day.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

jooky posted:

I think it fully opens on the 11th. I dropped in for lunch with some coworkers on Friday. I've had ramen at both locations now, and I've been a bit underwhelmed each time. It's a big bowl, and satiating, but the flavor just isn't fully there. The broth seems like it's been watered down or something, as it doesn't have the richness or depth of flavor I'd expect from ramen. The appetizers were good, and the donburi my coworker ordered looked great, so I'll definitely be back to try some more dishes, but the ramen is definitely a bit lackluster.

I wish they would update their website or even their facebook or twitter. I have some co-workers that I have been talking up the greatness of tonkatsu and now they want to go and we are hoping for a Thursday lunch. I cannot even find a phone number for their Marietta location.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

venutolo posted:

Umi - I've never been. I've read the sushi is fantastic but the Buckhead crowd is in full effect ("Umi has the best sushi" he says as he eats a California Roll). I think the head sushi chef used to work at MF.

Honestly I used to think the same thing of MF Sushi. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I don't want jalapenos on my sushi. I was also put off because the owner came off as a former Vietnamese gangster and he kept bragging how his VIP room had thousand dollar chairs or something.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I went to Raku on Marietta St. for lunch today. No tonkatsu on the menu(Even though the restaurant name on the printed menu still says, "Raku Tonkatsu+Ramen", and when I asked the waiter about it he didn't know what tonkatsu was, and pointed me to get the tonkotsu ramen. I told him tonkatsu is fried pork and tonkotsu is pork broth ramen and he said he didn't know anything about that. I went ahead and got the ramen though, and it was just ok.

The soup base is a little bland. It's not worth 9 bucks as it wasn't even very much food. I just got the same thing at Blue Fin Sushi up in Johns Creek and it was a huge bowl with tons of chashu. At Raku, you get three little slices of chashu in there. I was going to bring my office tomorrow for our weekly lunch together, but I'm glad I scouted it today, because I don't think it's a place I'd recommend.

Afterwards, I tried to ask a few more questions about whether this is a soft opening menu or will it be expanded, and the waiter again said he didn't know anything. I understand with new restaurants it's hard to teach all the staff about the food and what's being planned, but you'd think the wait staff would have some kind of information.

I'll probably wait a few weeks and try it again, because I'm that desperate for a good Japanese lunch place, but they aren't starting off very well.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I called Raku up today to check because my co-workers were all excited about tonkatsu and it was my turn to choose a place. I had to call the Duluth Raku to get the number because the Marietta St Raku has no online presence at all. Anyway, I just wanted to ask about the menu and future full menu opening, but I got the same waiter from yesterday, and I think he remembered me too, because he was a real jerk on the phone. We went thru the whole tonkatsu is not tonkotsu speil again, and when I explained the difference, he did this whole, "Well, look at you now, knowing Japanese and everything..." I'm not trying to be some kind of Japanese food expert, but when you work at a restaurant that serves Japanese food, at least take some time to learn a few words. Also, he did say this is it for the grand opening, as in this is not a soft opening, and that is their menu. No tonkatsu.

Anyhow, we all ended up driving up to Marietta to Tasty China. God, I love that place. It was packed as hell, and I think we all left sniffling from the chili count, but you can't beat the amount of food they pile up on you. Maybe I'll drive them up to Egesushi for a tonkatsu one day. It's not much farther than Tasty China even.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Going to Miller's Union for the first time tomorrow for dinner for my wife's birthday. Anything special we should order?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

dennyk posted:

Guess it's a little late for this, but their pastries are great, so don't skip dessert. I also had their homemade pork sausage and it was excellent. Only been once (stopped for dinner before seeing the Dad's Garage Invasion Christmas Carol at Fabrefaction a few weeks ago), so I haven't had anything else there, though.

I had the ribeye steak and my wife had the pork chop. The steak was great and cooked perfectly, but the pork chop was the big hit. It was a double bone cut and they cooked it medium rare, which I've never had with pork. It was on a bed of beans and rice with some kind of tomato relish. drat, that was good. It's been a day, and just typing that up made my mouth water. The waiter said it was new on the menu and the chef's mom's recipe. Also, the waiter was really great and recommended a French champagne for my wife, and some Belgian beer, something Tank. Both were really great, and I'm glad we took his recommendations.

For dessert she had the chocolate mouse/cake and I had the apple tart. Both were delicious and went well with their coffee. I can't believe it's taken us this long to eat there since we live 10 minutes away. Definitely will be going there again on a another special occasion.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

venutolo posted:

That place was doomed from the start. They had a "coming soon" sign up for ridiculously long time and they had a very large space in what I assume is not a cheap area. I suspect they were hemorrhaging money on rent for a long time before they even opened and put themselves in a really big hole. I remember being shocked at how large the space was and how I thought it was absurdly over-ambitious, and they'd never be busy enough to make it work financially.

I ate there probably a half-dozen times, and it was never good. The first time I went to try it, but every subsequent time it was a last resort. It was the kind of place I'd go to on the weekend when I felt it was too late to get seated at a good restaurant without a wait and I just wanted to get some food quickly. Each time I ate there I was reminded how much better that sort of food could be.

I went there twice and it was just bad. The first time I had the bbq buns, and I kept wondering why the meat was ground to a paste(And I just read in that link above that they used frozen buns, which explains that). Anyone the least bit familiar with chinese bbq buns would hate these, and anyone new to them, would not be impressed. At least get the food that is the name of your restaurant correct.
I have to admit, I am really picky about steamed buns, because I've been going to dim sum on Buford Highway to places like Canton House and Royal China for years since I was a kid. I live and work near Yum Bunz though, so I had high hopes.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

This reminds me; does anybody know what the name of a thing I had while in Shanghai might be? It was a bit like donuts, but the consistency was similar to bun dough. Half of them were fried, the other half seemed to be steamed. It was served with a thin sugar syrup to be drizzled over it. Like most of the food I had there it was good as hell and it would be nice to find a place here that makes something like it.

Is it this? It's not steamed though, and it's usually served with congee.

In other news, Umezono on Cobb Parkway has changed owners. The new owners used to own I Love Sushi in Conyers. Neither place was my favorite sushi place, but if you haven't gone to Umezono in awhile, it might be a good idea to try it again. I had stopped going to Umezono years ago, because the management was a little odd in how they handled their customers. They had this sort of old diner mentality where the waitresses seemed more annoyed with customers than anything. I guess it comes from being a restaurant for almost 15+ years and not changing very much.

Also, the new owner/sushi chef is very liberal with his wasabi so if you don't like too much wasabi, ask them to not apply it.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

So I went back to Raku on Marietta St the other day and had the Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen and it was pretty good and tasty. Especially after crushing three fresh garlic cloves over it. They actually give you a garlic press and three garlic cloves. I still wish they had fried pork like their original restaurant, but I guess they wanted to be primarily a ramen place.

Also, my son ordered unadon, which should be grilled eel on a bowl of rice, but it came out on a large square plate next to a sad salad with italian dressing on it. The bowl is actually important, as it's hard to eat rice off of a plate with chopsticks without the sides of the bowl to help you lift it up. Anyway, just an odd thing I noticed. The actual unagi was not bad, but my son made me remove the salad from his plate(he's only 4), because the odd italian dressing kept seeping into his rice.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Anyone try this new burger place over on Defoors and Collier? https://www.facebook.com/ssamburger

Looks like it's an asian fusion burger place with kimchee burgers.

Here's their menu:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

My son and I went to SSAM Burger for lunch and we loved it. I had the Kimcheese Burger with sweet potatos and he had the Bulgogi Rice Bowl.

The wait was a bit long but it was right at 12 so I expected it. It looks like in the kitchen they are still figuring out the ordering process. Although there was a good amount of people, it wasn't packed full, but the staff kept getting confused about whose food was where and what was next. And they kept alternating between asking people to pick up at the counter and bringing it to other customers, so there was a little confusion between them and the customers.

Other than that, the food was great. Even without the kimchi, the burgers are really tasty and moist, with nice fresh buns. What I liked was the burgers were not these giant things loaded with a million toppings that you cannot fit in your mouth. They are fairly simple and just taste good. The bulgogi was good, and my 4 year old devoured the beef, but left the lettuce part for me(also the lettuce was spicy). The lettuce was great, just like one of those sides you get at Korean BBQ. And the bowl was a good size. We had to bring the rest back as leftovers. The sweet potatoes were nice too, and came out piping hot.

I will definately be returning with co-workers as I think it's a perfect lunch place. I actually like this place better than Hankook, just because it's simpler and to me, the ingredients seem to be better quality. I'm just wondering what other Korean fusion food will come out next. Is there Korean Italian?

I know in Johns Creek, I swear I saw a Korean pizza place.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

We went to the Rusan's in Marietta off of Cobb Parkway years ago, and had a horrible experience. My wife ordered yakisoba, and it came out as a watery spaghetti. When she asked to return it, the chef came out and said this is authentic Japanese food. I'm not sure how you can mess up yakisoba, since it's about the simplest Japanese food you can make.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Anyone know if the brunch is really busy on Sundays at One Eared Stag? I want to take my sister for a birthday brunch, but I hate those brunch places in Atlanta that you have to wait 45 minutes just for a breakfast.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

venutolo posted:

I've never been for Sunday brunch, but I've never ever seen One Eared Stag busy. I was there today for brunch/lunch at about 12:30 and it was maybe half-full.

Well that sounds good, but she just called me and wants to go to Holeman and Finch for brunch. Never been for brunch though but menu looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, we never did go to H&F or Stag, mostly because she is hugely pregnant and is being a bit wishy washy(She changed the restaurant about 3-4 times before we found one). She suddenly wanted Penang on Buford Highway. It was ok, it's the same old place that it's always been. Food is cheap and they bring a lot of it, which is good.

The one good thing is that afterwards, we went to the new Korean cafe and bakery Paris Baguette. A really great place and very sleek and professional looking, and the first Asian bakery in Georgia to really remind me of the department store bakeries in Japan(Sweet Hut is pretty close too). They make their own baumkuchen, all nicely packaged like a gift. And their coffee was really great. I had to laugh at their workers though wearing black and white striped long sleeve shirts with black berets. I was hoping they would use some fake French accents, but no luck there.