Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kontona
May 3, 2003

yay! glad to see this thread back.

couple of places i like:

http://www.carverscountrykitchen.com - carver's country kitchen. meat and threes. can only go once every now and then due to artery cloggin -itis inducing goodness.

http://hals.net - hal's. favorite place to get a steak in atlanta.

what's the best joint for fried chicken in atlanta? you would think there would be more renowned places in this town. more often then not i just wind up going to popeyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kontona
May 3, 2003

RHIN0002 posted:

My Ethiopian bar manager has recommended Desta to me several times, but I've yet to try it. I could recommend it based on his rave reviews though.

desta's great, but i think ghion's is better. (an ethiopian cab driver recommended it to me.)

drat, i kinda want some ethiopian food now.

kontona
May 3, 2003

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/04/11/the-atlanta-food-truck-park-to-open-this-month/

this sounds p awesome.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i went to le roy's a couple of times before it closed.

i thought it was just decent to be honest. you get a giant piece of chicken, and le roy has clout, but it didn't live up to the hype. plus the sides were pretty weak.

kontona
May 3, 2003

venutolo posted:

For anyone who is interested in sushi, or cuisine in general, I highly recommend seeing Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It is still playing at the Tara, though probably not for much longer. I watched it today and loved it.

i went to see this too and was very surprised. i liked it a lot.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i normally just buy mine at either Buford Hwy Farmer's Market or Hong Kong Market.

one time my friends and i made samgyeopsal and bought pork belly from H-Mart as well.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i was just at the buford highway market a sec ago. i've walked through the european section but never got anything from there. (never really had eastern european food at all tbh).

is there anything that you would recommend me to try out? think i might try some of the preserved veggies.

seconding alon's and star provisions. pricey but worth it.

kontona
May 3, 2003

jamal's is fantastic. their regular hot wings are my favorite but the lemon pepper is also very good.

kontona
May 3, 2003

nooooo.

kontona
May 3, 2003

checked out chai pani after hearing you guys rave about it and was not disappointed. had the bombay chili cheese fries and the sloppy jai's.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Landrobot posted:

Wow, everyone came out to try Chai Pani! Awesome! I had a small part in getting them here to Atlanta, so I feel very happy with the warm welcome everyone here has given them. I'm so glad you goons love it!

If anyone is interested, I could arrange a goon dinner meet / reserved table there? I could get the head chef, my friend, to come out and give a small speech about the foods possibly, along with a special selection of nearly everything on the menu. I would also be able to pay for a decent chunk of the dinner/drinks, since I have food credit there ;)

i'd totally be down for this.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe I'm over-selling it. I liked it better than Holeman and Finch's burger, and the price was on-par with Five Guys. I'll be eating there again.

going to try burgerfi today.

brilliant move with the branding of the bun. basically free advertising with the way every asian everybody is instagramming and posting food pictures on facebook.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i'm in +1.

kontona
May 3, 2003

had a great time at chai pani last night and it was nice meeting everyone. thanks again landrobot.

i enjoyed what i got but also got jealous of other people's orders. definitely going back in the near future.

kontona
May 3, 2003

anyone tried yum bunz yet?

kontona
May 3, 2003

kuskus posted:

Did anybody make it to Kimball House? I've worked every night until 2a, sadly. Miles' woman said they've been doing gangbusters though.

i haven't had a chance to go yet. seems like people love it though.

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

I went to Raku on Marietta St. for lunch today...

that's a little disappointing. hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon. would be nice to have a ramen place in that area of town.

has anyone been to the other location?

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

Ssam Burger

i was planning on checking out this place today. a couple of people said it was pretty great, and i am kind of glad that more places like this are opening up close to me.

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

The one good thing is that afterwards, we went to the new Korean cafe and bakery Paris Baguette. A really great place and very sleek and professional looking, and the first Asian bakery in Georgia to really remind me of the department store bakeries in Japan(Sweet Hut is pretty close too). They make their own baumkuchen, all nicely packaged like a gift. And their coffee was really great. I had to laugh at their workers though wearing black and white striped long sleeve shirts with black berets. I was hoping they would use some fake French accents, but no luck there.

i stopped by there this weekend too and i really liked it.

kontona
May 3, 2003

antisodachrist posted:

There is a Chinese Indian place on Church St called Chinese Dhaba that blends Indian spices and Chinese food. They have two other locations in gwinnett too. Prices are good and I have not had anything I did not like.

this sounds interesting. gonna have to check it out.

kontona
May 3, 2003

venutolo posted:

I at lunch today at Varuni Napoli and had a really good experience.

i love antico but agree about the space issues. will def have to check out varuni napoli.

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

I want to check out the guy with the trailer and the big barrel grill who is always out front the Ace Hardware on Howell Mill every Saturday and sometimes throughout the week. It always smells nice driving by at least. Maybe I'll grab a lunch there if he's out today, and report back.

i thought it was good. not like "change your life" good, but something about the whole setup appeals to me.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i like hong kong market but it's a bit out of the way on jimmy carter. i was actually looking at mortar and pestles there saturday.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

Did you find anything good?

they have a pretty good selection of stone mortar and pestles. i don't know exactly what kind of stone they were, maybe granite? ran between $15 and $20 for a decent size one.

kontona
May 3, 2003

kuskus posted:

If we get a big table at Bone Lick, I will get Gary Busey's Wake-Up Juice (aka Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Last Meal). It's a 32oz Bloody Mary with a center cut rib and a chicken wing on a stick. I love the place and their delicious loving ribs.

i love this place as well.

(first time i went they were hosting a street fighter tournament.)

kontona
May 3, 2003

kuskus posted:

Also, I've been biking around delivering my own treats to local cooking randos like Jarett Stieber to solicit feedback, because apparently I have an overworked food death wish.

i follow you on ig and you need to deliver some of those deserts you've been making.

kontona
May 3, 2003

venutolo posted:

The place that now occupies the old Gu's space, Good Luck Gourmet, is pretty good. Yet Tuh on BuHi is super hard to find, but I really enjoyed it. Mamak is dope. This has been your Buford Highway food update.

kinda related, your instagram pics showed up in my feed and thought it was pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kontona
May 3, 2003

thathonkey posted:

I got a gift card to cock entrance and it was one of the worst/disappointing meals...

this made me laugh way more hard than it should have.