Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

You probably got funny looks because you were yelling from the other side of the locked door of a restaurant that hadn't opened yet.

I assure you I was there last Wednesday as were many people. I had oysters, tuna crudo, shrimp roll, and hush puppies. I said hi to people I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

Christ, didn't realize we've been open for a week already. My bad. That shrimp roll fuckin whips tho right?

Yes. The pseudo Hawaiian roll it is on is killer. I loved that bread at Kimball.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to hope that 11am Friday won't be a madhouse at Hattie B's, but will be prepared with a backup plan.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Waited 40 minutes in line at Hattie B's. Good rear end chicken sandwich.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
First post-Hattie's poop: 7/10 burn.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

What would you do differently next time? Asking for myself, tomorrow.
About to check into this Decatur Airbnb and then maybe SOS/EMSM.

I got the drat Hot chicken sandwich and next time I'll get the Shut the Cluck Up heat level. The heat is cut by the juicy chicken, slaw, and bun. If I got chicken, but not a sandwich, I'd probably start with drat Hot and see if I'd like it hotter in the future.

Assuming they're serving people at the same speed as during my visit, the point in the line where it bends at a sharp angle around the outdoor seating means you're about 35 minutes from ordering. Parking was only available at the pay lot next door. At least on the phone, you could only do 4 hours for $7.35, which kind of stinks.

I ate at EMSM tonight. Get the chilled peach and tomato soup.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
It sounds like my 40 minute wait in line wast too bad relative to others I've heard of this week. My friend went last night and waited in line for an hour then their order was delayed 35 minutes due to some kitchen thing.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Yankee BEC is good stuff. Ticonderoga Club might be my favorite restaurant. If it isn't, it's in the top five.

I was one from last night. I was the guy who knew Reid, Adrienne, and some kitchen people.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ate a Shut the Cluck Up chicken sandwich at Hattie B's. That was hot. 8.5/10 poop burn.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
FYI I believe that Meating Street BBQ in Roswell is now the best BBQ in the area (for my tastes) and the Po'Boy Shop in the same shopping center as Community Q is real good.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

In reviews, what chall think about Watchmen? I've been 3 times now, mixed feelings. Same for Banshee in east atlanta.

Unrelated, I feel like there are a whollle lot of new places in Atlanta that have popped up over the past 3 months. Haven't been to any yet, but looking forward to making a deep dive during dec! If anyone has anything new and outstanding, let us know. Estrella is on my list.

I've been to Watchman's twice, and not in the last couple months. My first visit was during the first few days, so I'll excuse that one as it was all over the place. The second was solid, but I didn't love it. I can't really explain why. Nothing stood out as wrong or sub-par, but I didn't love it. For contrast, I love basically every meal I have at Ticonderoga Club.

I went to Banshee once about a month ago. When I try a new place, I usually like to visit a couple times in short period of time to get a better idea of the place and try a few things, but I didn't feel motivated to do that with Banshee. My main of some duck pasta was very bland. I have an acquaintance who worked with the Banshee people at Optimist and he's been a few times and has liked their starters and said the mains all need work. I wouldn't be surprised if it reviews well, but it didn't do anything for me. I'll likely give it another go in a few months assuming I hear some positive stuff from friends or reviews about what dishes to get.

I went to Nina & Rafi's last week on their first day of soft opening and got a Detroit pie without having to go to Duluth, so I was happy. As of my visit, they're basically only serving pizza. More menu items, such as pasta, will be coming in the future.

White Bull in Decatur is great. Highly recommended. I wish Decatur was more convenient for me to get to.

Went to brunch at LLoyd's this past weekend. Had the fried bologna eggs benedict and enjoyed it. I will be back for dinner. The design of the whole place is really remarkable.

I continue to love Meating Street BBQ in Roswell and recommend it to lots of people (I now carry their business cards to give out since it is easier than explaining the name and location). If you go, tell them Rick sent you.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

Oh man, I didn't realize Nina & Rafi's had opened. Need that Detroit style pizza in my life so bad.

It can be hard to find if you don't know where it is. The street address will put you at the Studioplex complex where Serpas and The Spindle are. Nina & Rafi is actually on the beltline level facing the beltline. If you can find parking in the Studioplex lot, which can be tough due to all the construction taking up spaces, you can walk down some stairs by some mailboxes. Then the restaurant is on the beltline level and, as of my visit, does not have any signage.

Here's a little drawing (first arrow is roughly where the stairs are).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite BBQ place, Meating Street BBQ, is closing. :(

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ExiledTinkerer posted:

So...what is great/real interesting/still alive at Ponce of late for those who actually get there with some regularity?

El Super Pan remains my favorite there. On the second floor is Root Baking Company who make very good bread and have some good lunch and brunch stuff as well. They also recently just started serving dinner, but I haven't tried it yet.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My buddy Jarret is getting his own place: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/12/13/eat-me-speak-me-founder-to-open-first-brick-and.html

Had the burger at Hampton + Hudson for the first time a couple weeks ago and it is great. Had it again today for lunch. Highly recommended.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

BullyBoy is (quietly) open now. It's the new spot from Concentrics group and is in the same compound as Two Urban Licks and New Realm. Their website still seems to be a work in progress but food and service were both very good last night, especially for a spot that just opened. We only got through about half the menu but really enjoyed everything we had; standouts for me were: lobster frites, blue crab fried rice w/ omelette, clam chowder carbonara, and the rabbit patty melt. I really liked some of the lighter dishes too like the bibb salad, the crab/mango salad, and the red snapper tartare. Looking forward to getting back soon to try more of the composed plates as well as one of their "feasts".

BTW one of my friends is running the kitchen but I don't think I'm too biased, I would've given it a big thumbs up even if I didn't know anyone there/didn't get comped stuff.

Went tonight and thought it was really good. Duck bao, chanterelle mushroom empanada with black garlic aioli, and lobster frites. Really solid all around. The rest of the menu looked great.

Went to Gino's East last week and thought it was pretty weak.

I was driving in Marietta a few weeks ago and saw a sign for Hoboken Cafe. Hoboken nestled in right next to Jersey City, where my father and his family are from. I stopped because nobody would put Hoboken in the name of their place unless they were from there (unlike something like New York). It is a NJ Italian deli/kitchen, and the guy from Hoboken is named Johnny Pizza (really). The staff there are really great and they clearly have a huge amount of regulars. Definitely worth a try if NJ Italian culture is relevant to you or you just want a NJ Italian deli kind of sandwich.

The new burger at Hampton + Hudson is likely now my favorite burger in town. Highly recommended.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've been getting takeout from Little Bear and Rising Son every week. They my homies and I love them to death. Little Bear probably is the best option if you want to feel like you're having a really nice meal at home. Rising Son has been selling frozen biscuits with a fantastic strawberry jelly. It has been so nice to have fresh-baked biscuits during the week.

Other than that I've pretty much been supporting the places I have a real personal connection to, which are many. I'm probably going to pick up some BBQ from Socks Love BBQ up in Cumming either today or tomorrow. It's a bit of a drive, but these days I relish the opportunity to just drive and get some sun for a bit. Plus it's some good stuff and the people are good. If anyone goes, get the brisket and cowboy beans. And tell them to tell Steven that Rick sent you.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I definitely have not had enough Eastern European food. I wish is was more visibly represented. I always seem to enjoy it.

Along the same lines, I found a tiny Bosnian place, Neretva, up in Marietta, on Windy Hill near Cobb Parkway. The menu is super sparse and it's so very no frills, but I have thought it was great. The bread is kind of like a fatter pita. I think it is lepinja, but I'm not sure. The food comes with ajvar, which is an delicious red pepper based condiment, and what I think is sour cream, or something sour cream adjacent. I dig it and hope it survives through all this so I can eat that stuff again.

The strawberry dessert thing at Little Bear this week was fantastic. One of the best desserts Jarrett has done.

And yes, Supremo is kind of pricey for what you get.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
For anyone ITP, Anthony Spina Jr (of the O4W Pizza family) is doing pizza Monday nights at 8Arm. Very good stuff.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Gigi's a few times before they fully took over the Gato space. Good stuff. Good people as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I pet Fernando last night after picking up some Jurnior's Pizza.