Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Last thread got pruned, but I really enjoy keeping up with the local dining scene and a poster or two requested the thread be restarted - so, here we go. I won't claim for any of this to be comprehensive, but on the flip side I'll be updating the OP with your content, so feel free to chime in.

05/11/2013 EDIT: this OP is out of date. Just gander at this list instead, it's pretty good. http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/04/09/the-38-essential-atlanta-restaurants-april-13.php

:siren: (sort of) Recent News & Happenings : :siren:
  • Sunday alcohol sales! - God be praised, we are finally free of the insanity of not being able to buy a bottle of wine on Sunday. I'm sure everyone knows about this by now, but you've only been able to buy in the City of Atlanta proper since Jan 1st, 2012, so it counts as recent for us people who never leave the perimeter.
  • Taqueria Tsunami - continues its slow decent into madness. Only open inside of the last 6 months, this ill-named, poorly located (ex-toulouse) 'asian taco' start up reeks of hilarity and desperation - with even a scoutmob leaving the place pretty empty. enjoy a chuckle while you can...
  • Hachiguchi Junior - My favorite ITP japanese/sushi joint outside of MF's sphere of ridiculousness finally has its liquor license back, all is right with the world. They were on a rollercoaster wave of unsurity re:openness for the better part of a year, but they seem to be going strong every time I've been in the last few months.
  • Richard Blais announces new restaurant - to be named "the spence", around 75 5th Street. Still doesn't sound like a return to his pre-tv-star heyday of restaurants like Element or Blais, but a step in the right direction away from dumb burger and hotdog joints. which, check out HD1 if you didn't know it existed.

Recommended Restaurants Around Town :

Buckhead/Midtown

Hachiguchi Junior - My favorite ITP japanese/sushi joint. Usually superb fish quality (I'm picky), and a large variety of traditional non-sushi Japanese dishes make this stand out head and shoulders above most other places in the city. closed :(

Holeman & Finch Public House - The 'smaller plates' southern-food gastropub(?) concept from James Beard nominee/ award winner Linton Hopkins. Amazing, not to be missed.

Buford Highway-ish

Panahar - In a city where Indian can be hit or miss unless you're out east of Emory, Panahar is a gem of bangladeshi/indian cuisine. Cheap, and BYOB, no corkage fee. Amazingly friendly service, superb flavors up in this place.

Poncey Highlandy CandleryInmanParky

[s]Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop - 'Latin' inspired sandwich shop on N.Highland with odd hours, but loving amazing food. My god, order the pork belly buns. Today. Go. closed :(

Outside The Perimeter (dragonland)

restaurants don't exist here

Decatur

Cakes & Ale - Modern American cuisine with expensive and very small dishes. Consensus is "we're not impressed with their food", but they get almost universal acclaim. Worth a shot if you're in decatur. We guess.

Brickstore Pub - Pretty much hands down the best bar in Atlanta, in my opinion. Beer list a mile long, really solid pub style food.

Iberian Pig - Modern Spanish style tapas, great quality, friendly chef. Less 'American' than most places - they even have jamon iberico!! (a must try if you haven't before)

Emory/North East Atlanta
Little Bangkok - (one of the) Best Thai restaurants in the Atlanta area. Mammon Loves You recommends the spicy seafood soup and pad thai. Shady neighborhood (Cheshire bridge) and difficult parking :(

Sprig - Modern American and convenient for those of us who live northeast of Atlanta. Mammon Loves You had the duck breast which was 'perfect' and the chocolate tart with black pepper ice cream which was 'out of this world.'

Zyka - Amazing Indian fast food. Cheap as chips, greasy as heck, but flavors are stellar. Like, out of this world, in my professional opinion. Also a crazy tacky dining room. No alcohol.

<placeholder for more restaurants> - I'll be adding a list of places I couldn't live without as I find time. I'll for sure be happy to add any of your suggestions to the OP too, assuming you aren't like 'houstons is my favorite fancy restaurant!!!! :) :)' or I happen to strongly disagree or something. Just gimme a name, URL, and short description (sort of in format above) of why you think they're best of Atlanta.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Woah, in the like 5 minutes since I posted this thread, I already found a couple interesting ATL food related items I hadn't yet heard about. Apparently there are TEDx Atlanta talks, and both Linton Hopkins and Hugh Acheson have given presentations. Haven't watched them yet, but hell yeah.

http://tedxatlanta.com/videos/03152011-creativity/linton-hopkins/

http://tedxatlanta.com/videos/09132011-balance/hugh-acheson/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Awesome, thanks! I'll add those to the main post. Haven't been to cafe 640, I'll have to try it. I had a couple pretty mediocre meals at cakes and ale, but it gets pretty much universal acclaim, so I'll definitely include it.

I was like 'uhhh' to little bangkok thinking it was just some random thai place, until I realized which place it was. yes, that place actually does completely own. I'm a bit hesitant when people recommend "thai" food, but I was pretty surprised by how good everything I had there was.

ulmont posted:

What do you think of Rain (Japanese / Thai off of Cheshire Bridge and Lindbergh / La Vista)? I love getting a sashimi appetizer combined with a curry...
http://rainatlantaga.com/

Is it good? I really shy away from combo sushi & generic asian places, just because in my experience they don't do either well. (thai coon, anyone?) A co-worker of mine recommended Rain, but just haven't ever made it in.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ulmont posted:

My wife and I like it, but it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about, which is why I was curious to get a second opinion (and calibrate whether I have to try out Hachiguchi Junior or not).

Well, maybe I'll have to give it a try sometime!

As far as hachiguchi jr, it's a completely different beast, unless you try very hard to make it "A Sushi Restaurant" (basically ignoring their entire non-sushi menu). They have stuff like takoyaki, gomadare tofu, fried chicken skin in ponzu, tons of vinegar dishes, salt grilled fish, all kinds of cold and hot noodles (ten zaru udon is a favorite of mine - a pile of ice cold udon with a tempura shrimp, green onion, and dipping sauce), yams, et cetera. most of the time I don't even look at their nigiri/maki list - you should for sure check it out!

edit: I just made myself hungry =/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

godzirraRAWR posted:

HD1 is a joke. $10 hotdogs that take upwards of 20mins to get to your table does NOT make me happy. Especially when you can get a chilidog from the Varsity in negative 5 seconds for pennies.

Yeah, I'm not really sold either, despite being a long time pre celeb Blais fan. My wait was pretty bad too, though 10 bucks isnt the end of the world.

I thought flip was gimmicky (but also good as) heck - but I think that's about my limit for over priced gussied up 'normal people' food. I get it Blais, Atlanta wasn't ready for you, and all your early restaurants failed. But I was, goddamnit. loving give me back Element already and shove your hot dog bullshit in a blender. Goddamn.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

I find it very hard to go anywhere other than The Vortex for a burger. I always think I'm going to be disappointed wherever I go so I just end up at The Vortex. However, a friend recently visited Flip and had good things to say so I might actually give it a go.

what the gently caress :gonk:

lol vortex burgers arent even good son, and who wants soggy ore-ida tater tots too

flip is where its at for non-traditional burgers, but grindhouse and farm burger are both very respectable traditional burger places - I think I like grindhouse a bit more if I'm going for like a straight up bacon cheeseburger, and farm burger if I'm feeling more bluecheese and caramelized onion with bone marrow.

of course h&f burger tops them all imho - but probably only because of the cute girl who seems to always be working the grill, and her heavy handed use of salt.

but I guess all that's just, like, my opinion man

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

I have never had a better burger than a Vortex burger. With that being said, I have never been to any other establishments that are renowned for burgers. I suppose I'm still a "noob" when it comes to burgers. Also, my tots are never soggy. YMMV.

I'm just trollin, vortex burgers are ok. :) but, really, I think most of these new fangled 'burger joints' outclass vortex handily, so yeah you should for sure give them a try.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

what is this posted:

I hate R. Thomas, and think it's bad food, overpriced, with worse service. So there you have it: controversy.

Also, inhumane treatment of birds!

gotta agree with this.

had the worst, most inedible chicken caesar wrap of my life there, for like 12 bucks. tried the rest of my party's dishes, they were uniformly bland.

service was also slow as a snail who has to run home right after stepping out the door because forgot his keys, and then again because he realized he picked up the wrong glasses, and then again because he left the oven on, and then he's like 'gently caress it' because he finally decides just to stay home because he didn't really need that gallon of milk right then anyways

signalnoise posted:

If I'm recommending Japanese outside the perimeter, I'm recommending Bishoku.

oh yeah bishoku is actually really good. there's some place on peachtree industrial too called 'tomato' or something, it's also pretty great. I'll add some OTP places to the op eventually, just gotta work up the effort to compile your guys suggestions.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 17, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol what the fuckkk

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/222927/3/HAPEVILLE--Chick-fil-A-to-host-Daddy-Daughter-Date-Night

http://www.daddydaughterdate.com/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

what is this posted:

:lol: That's amazing.

people are actually defending it in the gws chat thread. must be something about getting old or something that suddenly makes that not seem weird. (on like 5 different levels)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mons Hubris posted:

I only went to Atlanta once on vacation but I will nth the support for Holeman & Finch and Antico. JCT Kitchen was also good, but not as good as those. They have a weird salad with caramel corn in it. I also enjoyed Flip Burger, but I know a lot of people think it's overhyped.

Stay away from Woodfire Grill, I liked Neckbeard Kevin on Top Chef but the tasting menu at least was pretty bad for the price.

yeah, I have really mixed opinions about woodfire grill. I went once and some of the food was a revelation, but I went again and was just like 'eh' - tasting menu both times. I think I'd pay like 60 bucks for a tasting menu at his place, but 90-125 is too much, food doesn't warrant it. also ala carte is overpriced.

I think I'm just gonna stick to bacchanalia/restaurant eugene when I have money to blow. it's a shame there aren't more extraordinary set price menus in the city right now, but I guess that's what happens when atlanta scares joel antunes, guenther seeger, bruno ménard, and richard blais('s fine dining aspirations) out of the city.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DigitalHeretic posted:

I'm going to cry if this is the best Thai in Atlanta. :( I guess I was just spoiled coming from Seattle and Denver.

as far as I know, there's no authentic thai in Atlanta - and little bangkok is pretty good as far as americanized goes.

I like tuk tuk a lot, much more what I (want to) think of when I think of thai than little bangkok...

http://www.tuktukatl.com/menus/tuktuk-menu.pdf

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
empire state south - brunch status : eh.

empire state south - $2 donut on brunch menu status : GODDAMN.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what y'all doin for vday?

a couple couples and us decided to forgo the holiday for a couple weeks and just go to bacchanalia closer to the end of the month to avoid the inevitably subpar food quality

none of us really do anything for the dumb holiday anyways though, so I guess we were just trying to find an excuse to go to bacchanalia

awwww yeahh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I like perla a lot

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm still on the lookout for a good German/Turkish place to give me a doner kebab fix.

go to pita palace off briarcliff near toco hills. it's by far the closest tasting thing to a doner I've had stateside. amazingly good, even if it's not quite actually a doner.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol 'do at the view' has a scoutmob

its almost enough to make me want to go and see their new ipad enabled dining experience in an upbeat urban setting (pronounced {do}ugh)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I eat at hachiguchi about once a week. if I budgeted my money, I'd have a hachiguchi budget. jus' sayin.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
(also I was there like 4 hours ago.)

but yeah, not really 'anniversary' quality as far as dining/ambiance options go, unless your wife/girlfriend is really in to fish. which if she's vegetarian, why is she going to a japanese restaurant for her anniversary

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

Going by this place today after class. I honestly never knew what it was, but it got some good reviews so I'll check it out.

Completely unrelated: My friend's bachelor party is next Friday night and I had planned on making reservations at Kevin Rathbun Steak. I called a friend to confirm the number of people so that I could make the reservation and he tells me that we're going to Wild Wing Cafe instead. :negative:

my girlfriend's younger brother had his bachelor party in vegas last year, and I sort of got sucked into it even though I wasn't one of his best men or anything

we were all supposed to go to a nice dinner (like I dunno, thomas kellers place or something) one night, and then to that thai place that everyone recommends in the vegas thread the other night.

first night, no one had made reservations and then it was like 10pm, and so the bachelor decides to just go eat at a hard rock cafe. what the gently caress god I was pissed - the food was absolutely shockingly horrible and expensive.

but then the second day, he decides we don't have enough time to both eat dinner across town and see this dumb loving bob marley tribute band he wants to see, so we end up eating in a motherfucking food court

I don't get actually angry that easily, but that was probably the most pissed off I've been in a year or two - but then there was a lot of other drama and dumb poo poo that was going on between him and some of his best men, so I was just over it at that point. everything I could do not to just be like 'gently caress this poo poo, I'm gonna go play poker and eat organically raised lobster and completely unsustainable caviar, later bros.'

but I'm a trooper :shobon:

lesson I think we've learned between us : gently caress bachelor parties for all time forever

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Angstronaut posted:

Anybody got a good Japanese noodle place recommendation? Looks like Hashiguchi is closed.

it just got renamed. it's technically 'sushi jr' now, but the signage is still hachiguchi et cetera

barbudo posted:

You guys are jerks for not mentioning Taqueria del Sol :(

what is there to mention? it's not bad or anything, but it is just a relatively cheap local chain taco place...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I haven't eaten at any of these new barbeque places that have sprung up over the last couple years. are there any that are particularly stand out?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
awesome, I'll have to check that place out.

you wouldn't happen to know of any place in or outside of atlanta that hand makes udon, would you? I was just talking about that with my dining compatriot - we've made udon a few times at home, but I've never seen a restaurant do it. I imagine a pro would be a lot better than we are.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

Is there anything worthwhile within walking distance of the Midtown W Hotel?

empire state south

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA goddammit. I'm asking for a friend's birthday party, and I think it may be a little pricey and not the kind of place for a big group to just crash into. I'll just have to go there on my own some time.

oh well there's a taco mac if that's what you were looking for

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone doing a CSA this year? The one I used last year, Sun Dog Farms, moved to Savannah, so I guess I need to find a new one. I've started looking, but...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Can anyone give me any idea as to how busy H&F gets for Sunday brunch? I still have never been for brunch and was thinking about giving it a go this Sunday.

last time I went, about a month ago, 1:30pm, it was busy as gently caress. hour waits. either plan to wait, or get there early.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

Having read the thread I think I have an idea of what the answer will be but how do you guys feel about the Buckhead Life Group offerings?

they're fine I guess. overpriced, menus pander to the lowest common denominator, always crowded, but food is always ok.

the sort of places I'd never spend my own money at, but if someone else is footing the bill, sure why not.

why do you ask?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

My anniversary is also that weekend so I'm thinking Empire State South for me and the wife but I'm worried she might not find something she likes since she's not as adventurous as me. Walking distance isn't relevant here, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for fancy place with an intimate setting in short driving distance that might have a more traditional menu.

:psyduck:

more traditional menu? I don't even understand - what is it you're looking for? I mean looking at empire state's menu, they have a cheese plate, cauliflower soup, brussle sprout salad, some catfish, collards, striped bass, pork tenderloin, leg of lamb, goat cheese ravioli, pork belly....

none of this is sounding remotely adventurous or 'out there'... the place is mostly about well executed 'southern food', which is about as traditional as it comes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Pho Bac on buford is pretty good. all my favorite places on buford have closed, but generally you can't go wrong up there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Centurium posted:

This is not true. Not even like 'I disagree with your opinion.' It is factually incorrect. Chef Eddie has been nominated for Beard awards two years in a row now. The charros beans, collards, and corn chowder are the best example of their kind I've ever had. Sure, they were just as good back when he was doing the Sundown Cafe on Cheshire Bridge, but they continue to be spectacular. The tacos are also pretty phenomenal. This is why it takes an hour to get your tacos if you try to go there around lunchtime on a weekday.

I'm not sure what you're getting at or if you are thinking of something else, but Taqueria del Sol is a great restaurant and chef Eddie has been a highpoint of Atlanta for longer than I've been alive. Telling people who don't know that's it's just like Twisted Taco or something is doing a major disservice.

I mean, I'm willing to stand corrected. I don't know much about the owner - if he's old hat atlanta, that's new to me, and fair enough.

I did know about the james beard nominations, but they're nominations for being an 'outstanding restauranteur'. which I certainly will not argue with. the lines are always out the door. but the lines are for fried chicken in a flour tortilla with pico de gallo thrown on top, fried fish in a flour tortilla with tartar sauce thrown on top, and some pretty below average margaritas. I mean, you gotta hand it to the guy, he knows Atlanta.

but to reiterate, aside from being snobby about the quality of the food, I don't dislike the restaurant(s). I'm in the mood for fried chicken in a flour tortilla from time to time, and their version is pretty tasty. I agree the chowder is tasty. all I'm saying is, don't think taqueria del sol makes the cut for 'best of atlanta' as far as outstanding restaurants go. You're right, it's by no means a 'twisted taco' - but I still wouldn't even mention it to someone visiting from out of town. and again, that's just based on my opinion, taste, friends, et cetera - I'm not saying it's unrecommendable.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

roobots posted:

I've got no beef with Taqueria del Sol, but I'd recommend Hankook over it in a heartbeat.

Speaking of Shoya Izakaya, which is great if not a little pricey, does anyone know of a good place to get takoyaki in town? Shoya has pretty delicious takoyaki but it's 4 for $5 and I'm used to a dozen for $6 from food trucks in L.A. Any other authentic Japanese restaurant recommendations would be appreciated as well!

just gonna beat my 'hachiguchi jr' drum. theirs is pretty good. I've had it at taka too, not shabby. even ru-sans (buckhead) has it, but theirs was actually sort of bad...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have never had any that had socarrat on it, so I'd say no. one of those things that's simple enough you should probably just make it yourself if you want it done right. I think most restaurants just can't be bothered?

I went to one place that has since closed called "Cuerno" that had the closest thing to a good paella I've ever seen in town(snails and all) but even they were missing the crunchy rice. I asked how people were liking their paella, and they were like 'yeah you're one of three people all week who even ordered the paella.

if you're just hounding for crunchy delicious rice dishes though, try http://www.yelp.com/biz/woo-nam-jeong-stone-bowl-house-atlanta woo nam stone bowl restaurant. their bibimbap is served in a crazy hot stone vessel, and they'll actually get mad at you if you mix up your poo poo in a way unconducive to getting a crunchy rice bottom. which is good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

Here's a restaurant I haven't seen on the list thus far (a travesty): H. Harper Station on Memorial Drive in Reynoldstown, on the Beltline. It's a former train station, and the decor reflects that in a really lovely way. Their menu is small and changes seasonally, but I've never had a bad dish there (the pork belly(?) I had there last week was groin-grabbingly transcendent). Their cocktail menu is huge, and a lot of the drinks are unique to the establishment. My personal favorite is The Girl From the North Country, a gin-based drink with thyme, lemon, and an egg white froth on top.

Downsides: pricey, valet parking on weekends, pretty far from most places where people live.

yeah, I second everything in this post. I've only been twice, but all this is true. I enjoyed both my meals a lot - really worth going to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
there's a piccadilly on north decatur with ample parking...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm just joshin. zyka would work, tacqueria del sol would work, taco mac would work (hehe), twains would probably work though I've never had their food... manuel's would work, etc. I feel like you got lots of options out there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
atlanta fish market is probably what you're looking for.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of "seafood" "places", I really miss redfish. :( too bad about their location...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I am thinking about treating the bridesmaids and groomsmen at my wedding to a fancy schmancy dinner as their wedding gift. What's the best place under 75 bucks/person where you can get people to eat without being concerned with price of what they're getting? Prix fixe works. Alternatively, the best bang for your buck and I can get them something supplemental?

you have a whole lot to work with with a budget of $75/pp - what do you mean by 'without being concerned with the price of what they're getting'? Are you trying to keep it substantially under 75/pp?

most good restaurants in Atlanta are basically first courses of $8-15, and mains of $20-35 - so even including wine (maybe another 20-30/pp), you shouldn't have to worry too much no matter where you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

If 75/pp is more than I need, then where do you think the best place for a table of 8 would be? My only experience with restaurants that only list prices in whole dollars is limited only to Ecco, Woodfire Grill, and 4th & Swift so far.

restaurant eugene you should look into. I'm not biased, I promise ;)

the service there is really great - much 'fancier' than woodfire grill as a point of comparison. you'd end up on the higher end of your budget though depending on alcohol.

I mean you could go to any number of nice but lower key places - local three is pretty solid, h.harper station, h+f, one eared stag, empire state south - you'd be almost certainly under budget at any of those places. They don't feel as fancy though, so I dunno if that's a dealbreaker.