Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

godzirraRAWR posted:

Unsure of where else to put this, but I saw it come across my RSS feed, and will probably end up going:

http://www.pinestreetmarket.com/collections/frontpage/products/whole-hog-cooking-class

if anyone else is interested!

awesome, I hadn't heard of this place. gotta make it over next time I'm in decatur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kontona posted:

i went to see this too and was very surprised. i liked it a lot.

finally saw this tonight too (we were probably at the same showing where they messed up and showed the wrong thing in the beginning?)

was great. really appreciated it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

They screwed up the 7pm showing as well? At the 2pm showing, there was only audio and no video at first, then someone had to be fetched and the whole thing had to be started over from the trailers. There were also a bunch of angry old people upset that the theater showing that Marigold movie was full and there were no seats together and the only available seats were way off to the side.

haha

yeah, they ran the movie and it did all the trailers and then it turned out it was some chick flick movie. everyone got up and started freaking out that they were in the wrong theater until someone went and told them, and they restarted Jiro, but had to watch all the trailers again.

THANKS, TARA

also really what is it with all the old people and that marigold thing

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
have I mentioned woo nam jeong stone bowl restaurant in this thread?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woo-nam-jeong-stone-bowl-house-atlanta

because if not it really deserves a meritorious mention.

cooking is done by some grandma 6 days a week, and the food is really generally outstanding. especially the mushroom dolsot bibimbop that my partner usually orders. I usually enjoy having meat with dinner, but I'd probably eat this vegetarian rear end poo poo any day of the week with no complaints.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"GRANDMA NEEDS A BREAK"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

From the Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop Facebook page:

Too bad. I hope they find a new location and have expanded hours.

fucccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I tried Sprig out today and drat if it wasn't better than it was priced. The highlight was a banana pudding for dessert that was infused with some kind of bourbon flavor and made with homemade vanilla wafers. I highly recommend it.

interesting location - the menu looks good though!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man, this is like a weekend of good shows. mogwai was playing tonight though I didn't go, but prob gonn go see xiu xiu tomorrow at the earl.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm assuming you're all voting on July 31st. If not, you really should consider it. because gently caress traffic, and hurray beltline.

http://untieatlanta.com/the-solution/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Webbeh posted:

Have you been on a Ponce City Market tour yet? It's fantastic (and free)!

http://www.poncecitymarket.com/home

no, I'll have to check that out.

man, I always used to daydream about turning the ground floor of that place into a farmers market to rival dekalb's

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dekalb farmers market. eden farms pork belly, poo poo is heritage amazing berkshire pork, with a great meat to fat ratio. usually pretty cheap too.

You rated this thread '5'! Great job, go hog wild!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I'm about to head there. I'll tell Bryan you can't make it.

I think I saw you today at peachtree farmers market at the farm burger stand confirm/deny.

didn't want to go and be like 'hey you post on the internet right' but

got some lovely chanterelles~! for a lot of money :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Yep. That was me. I'm awful with faces, so I'm sorry I didn't notice you.

naw it's cool, we only met irl once at noni's while goddin was cookin, for like 2 seconds in the dark. and I don't even think I said I posted on the forums then. wouldn't expect you to recognize me :ninja:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I finally tried Richard Blais's new restaurant, the Spence. It was very, very loud on a Friday night - even worse than Abattoir was when it first opened. We had 9:30 reservations, so it began to quiet down as people left - but man.

The food was pretty solid, though a little pricey for the content. Lots of small plate for $14-16 dollars, that I really thought were more $8-10 worth of effort/product. But, I liked everything I had, and the wine list was interesting - though also slightly pricey for the content. ohwell, I'll go back I'm sure!

THIS RIVETING REVIEW BROUGHT TO YOU BY MINDPHLUX

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

enthe0s posted:

I did the tour last Friday and I have the exact opposite opinion, but it may be because I love the history and future goals of a brewery. I've taken the tour about 3 times and last time I took the final tour of the night (the one at 7pm). This was extremely worth it because if you stayed until the end, the guide let us have a free glass of beer from the tap upstairs of stuff that wasn't available downstairs. I love SweetWater.

yeah, I gotta say - I'm not a huge fan of sweetwater's actual beers, but I really enjoy the tour. I've taken it probably 10-12 times, and like seeing the stuff they change every time I take it. I haven't been back since they started work on their expansion though, so I imagine that's particularly interesting.

*nerd note : I brew beer, and have ambitious half-baked plans to begin a food/beer-related business.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

They really only showed us the bottling system, took us out back to explain their expansion and then took us into the freezer. We didn't get to see any of the brewing process itself. Maybe I should go on another day?
As someone who recently started homebrewing, are there any decent homebrewing clubs in the area?

that is actually true, I don't know how I've never had that thought go through my head while doing the tour. they don't really show the brewing process at all, which is kind of odd, and a legit complaint. good call.

I submitted a few entries to the Peach State Brew-off a couple years back, and met this one guy that seemed pretty nice. I now run in to this guy like once every 4-6 months at beer related events - and he always tries to get me to check out the Covert Hops Society (brew club) which sounds ok. I wouldn't really describe myself as a 'club-inclined' guy, so I've just never gone to check it out, but for what it's worth he says they're all nice and pretty knowledgeable dudes.

conversely, I'm pretty sure the Brewmasters of Alpharetta are basically all insufferable pricks - but maybe I'm just bitter about this one neckbeared socially inept dude who really smugly entered like literally 23 beers into the competition I was in, and won like 6 metals, presumably for no other reason than like a quarter of the beers even being judged were his.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 27, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've only been to canoe once, and my food was pretty bad. but, this was like 4 years ago, I should give it another try...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

b0g posted:

Hey,

I'm curious, Anyone know any european delicatessen type shops in atlanta that do not suck? I knw some of them have little sandwich shops in them and was wondering about those too.

Thanks

if you're looking for european meats, the buford highway farmers market is excellent, though they don't have premade sandwiches. they have plenty of house made pickles, obscure russian and hungarian meats, etc. there's also Pataks, but that's not in Atlanta per se.

if you're just looking for a sandwich shop, Alons intown is really awesome (better than dunwoody one imho). star provisions is really good. Henri's bakery in buckhead is just ok, and there's some german bakery in dunwoody I forget the name of that is pretty alright too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kontona posted:

i was just at the buford highway market a sec ago. i've walked through the european section but never got anything from there. (never really had eastern european food at all tbh).

is there anything that you would recommend me to try out? think i might try some of the preserved veggies.

seconding alon's and star provisions. pricey but worth it.

the smoked fish is really good - the oilier ones you can microwave and it gets crispy, which is good on crackers with some sour cream and pickled onions. pickled herring is really nice with some non-pickled onions and a glass of wine as a hors d'ourve, there's tons of really awesome cured meats - they're expensive, but just be brave and pick up some thin kabanosy - I particulary like the 'red square' brand they have there. ()

also, they'll thin slice some of their sausages they have behind the counter. just don't be afraid to be dumb and ask a lot of questions. the ladies are usually nice, and you can ask how people usually eat different types of stuff.

the dill pickle watermelon is.... interesting...... hehe ;)

oh, also, it's probably the german in me, but rotkohl (red cabbage) is amazing - they have jarred stuff in the german section. it's great as a side with roast poultry and some lardons. potato dumplings are great too. oh eastern european countries, why must your food be so good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Webbeh posted:

Since I haven't been to the Food Truck Park yet, I'm definitely going to swing by the festival before going to The Matrix Live.

wow

this actually sounds pretty cool

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, I think I've now eaten multiple times at all the trendy burger places in Atlanta.

westside flip is my favorite for non-traditional burgers by far, farmburger in decatur is my favorite for traditional burgers with interesting toppings, yeah burger is solid but even less interesting than farmburger. but if I just want a burger with like some bacon and cheese and onion rings or something, grindhouse knocks it out of the park. by far my favorite 'traditional' burger, excepting only for holeman and finch's 10'o'clock burger, which I gotta say is - in my opinion - Atlanta's best.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whatchall think of kessler's spence review? http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/08/09/the-spence-restaurant-review-midtown/?cxntfid=blogs_food_and_more

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

I want to complain for a moment about West Egg. My girlfriend and I went out there for breakfast on Sunday. I had the pulled pork benedict, and my girlfriend had the short rib hash. They were both just okay. It felt like West Egg had all the right components, but the reason they had all the right components is that they're trendy, not because they had a very good idea what to do with them. Anyone else get that impression?

That said, their grits are great.

I strongly dislike west egg. I have been to the place 3 times, and my food, service, and general experience has been pretty not great every time. I think your above assessment of the problem with their food is pretty spot on.

I really have no idea why that place is so crowded all the time. I'd literally rather eat waffle house than wait an hour to pay a bunch of money for mediocre brunch fare.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, hey, Mindphlux, when you get a chance, you should modify the OP. Chef Santiago closed Super Pan; I don't think it was getting the traffic he expected.

done :( I crossed out hachiguchi too :cry:

the op is pretty out of date, but just having to cross those two out has pretty much killed my will-to-update it further. wahhh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't really like Atlanta's version of the food truck thing either. it feels really forced, all these shiny trucks with their overpriced, not hugely imaginative, and extra expensive food. This coming from someone who once thought he'd enjoy giving it a spin.

and the 'food truck park' is the most ridiculous thing. I mean I guess it's helpful for owners to have a place to park, but as a 'destination' concept? who wants to drive somewhere to eat out of a food truck? that's like basically the exact opposite of what the food truck concept was originally, as far as I can tell.

I dunno, my food truck exposure has mainly come from flea markets in germany, where it's just filthy (delicious) kebaps, and then austin, where trucks didn't really feel trendy at all - half of them didn't seem capable of moving under their own power, and they were awesome more because they were cheap and good food rather than being trendy and eh food.

I dunno. tsplost blues gettin me down, but I wish Atlanta would just get with it already.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
another vote for 'la fonda is bland'

I've eaten plenty of cuban food at other places that was most definitely not bland, so I'm voting it's just la fonda's fault. I mean that salsa, it's like watery water. yeuck.

on the other hand, when you're in the mood for it, it's not that bad. just gotta be in the mood for bland food! :science:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

For Mexican food at least, I almost always end up at Bone Garden Cantina. What are some decent Cuban places?

havannah on buford, las palmeras on 5th street. that's all I got in my book.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

antisodachrist posted:

Las Palmeras changed owners and its name recently. A local food critic bought it and it is now called Cruzado.

woah. thanks. last few times I went by, it was closed on odd days of the week. thought I was just unlucky, but guess that would explain a few things.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bstyles posted:

I am an assistant kitchen manager at Taco Mac! Any questions please ask!

whats it like to be an assistant kitchen manager at taco mac

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
there's a good korean place across from woodruff park, but I'd mostly suggest moseying over to the sweet auburn market. there are a number of 'authentic' atlanta restaurants in there that serve up really good food - nothing (well, very little) out of a sysco truck. whereas tons of the places on forsyth/broad street area are just geared up to dish out food as fast as possible to masses of hungry office workers and georgia state students.

in sweet auburn, there's an arepas stand that my girlfriend really likes - haven't had it but I probably will give it a shot tomorrow. there's an excellent burger place that's great, a bbq place, an african cuisine place (get the goat stew, it's amazing), a newfangled hotdog stand, etc - all in the sort of trendy farm to table style.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey guys, so

reasonable (500-750ish) amount of money available this weekend for a romantic night or two in Atlanta (or georgia, I guess) - what would you do?

been struggling with this this week. options I've come up with thus far

• quinones room at bacchanalia, then out clubbing, sleep at home in midtown
  • try to get a hotel at/near dragon con with a hot tub for a night or two, people watch, eat at nikolai's roof for kicks
  • rent a cabin in near ellijay (again, with a hot tub), grill the gently caress out of some food.
  • stay at home, make puppy dog eyes at my girl because all our anniversary night plans fell through

I don't know, I'm pretty indifferent about those options, looking for inspiration. hopefully what you guys would do is somehow vastly different from what I would do!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 30, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

what is this posted:

Book a room in Asheville, go hiking in the fog/rain in the blue ridge mountains, come back every night to great beer and fun times.

this is a great suggestion, we went to asheville earlier this year actually though, rented a room in a B&B near downtown. was great fun. gently caress man, the biltmore house is pretty awesome - wanna live there :(

Safety Dance posted:

I know it doesn't help you now, but I can say nothing bad about the Bella B&B in Danielsville, GA.
http://bellabedandbreakfast.com/

looks good, thanks for the suggestion. though man, danielsville looks like it's smack dab in the middle of nowhere - is there fun stuff to do in that area of georgia?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 30, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Southern Dandy posted:

I'm just going to come out and say it.

Flip burger is poo poo for the price.

Also, as a native Louisianan, Parish is a joke. I went up there with a friend of mine who's also eaten at the chef's table at Commander's Palace, and the guy whose resume listed him as a chef there only got paid to observe (aka he never did anything.) He got paid by his restaurant group (Sotto Sotto) to claim that he was a chef at Commander's Palace.

After we outed that degenerate gently caress Parish has relisted their menu as modern American.

Fancy that poo poo.

yeah, I do like flip. I mean sometimes their food / service falls short, but it's a cheap night out of good interesting food compared to nicer places.

I don't quite understand what you're saying about the chef at parish though. I do, however, agree that the food is a joke - Louisianan or no. I've had some seriously bad food experiences all 3 times I've been to parish - both brunch and dinner.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
*backpedals a shitload* the last time I ate at parish was like over 8 months ago, soooo

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Anyone have any opinions about Wrecking Bar Brewpub? A guy I've met and talked to a few times is taking over the head chef position there and I know nothing about it.

Also, Kevin Gillespie is leaving Woodfire Grill.

I have sort of strong opinions on wrecking bar, since the concept and location were basically the same as the 'in my head/dreamworld I'd like to open this restaurant' ambitions I have.

I wrote the guy who owns it when its opening was first announced, asking if he was hiring, or needed help with anything on the brewing side. he never wrote me back - which fair enough, I'm sure he had enough on his hands. we've since exchanged words, and he does actually seem like a pretty awesome guy, with a similar background - he helped start a technical company or something, and got bored and decided to buy a building to turn into a restaurant for the heck of it.

but, he hired this alpharetta brewmasters guy as the brewmaster, and I really haven't been so fond of that brewclub at local homebrew events - they come off as pretty wanky and insular. and in any case the beer there has been pretty boring and technically flawed (IE, tastes like homebrew) - so dunno.

I haven't really eaten the food there, but some food savvy friends say it's a bit of a let down. glad to hear the place is getting a new chef - I mean, I really want the place to succeed, but it just seems like it has so much stacked against it. neighbors complaining about noise (they have to close at like 11-12pm because of it), and less-than-ideal parking. dunno.

my secret plan is that the place will fail, declare bankruptcy, and I'll buy it at a huge discount and make it everything it should have been. buahahhaa :cawg:

also, what?

what's kevin doing? I thought he was basically like a business partner at the place, so it seems pretty surprising he'd leave...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 3, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

new restaurant called Gunshow.

lol

seriously hope when you walk in the door the hostess is a burly big guy and hes like WELCOME TO THE GUNSHOW

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
is there anywhere else in atlanta that does hot chicken aside from h&f on monday? good hot chicken, I mean. I had never even heard of it before, but after having h&f's a few times, I get these cravings for it... :(

JCT kitchen has some fried hot chicken oysters on their menu, and they're ok and all, but not really up to snuff.

wahhh I'm going to have to drive to nashville just to get some hot chicken

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/08/23/hot-chicken-roundup/

I've been wondering the same thing for a while, so here you go.

niceee, thanks. dunno how I missed this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what is jefferson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hehe

http://www.cityofjeffersonga.com/

|