Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Vortex burgers are "OK."

They aren't the best by any measure. Maybe you think The Vortex is the best. Maybe you love L5P or trivia or whatever. Great! Good for you. And if you must have one of their particular toppings combos, then sure. But H&F, farm burger, yeah burger, googie burger, flip, grind house, (and so on) all beat it out of the park as far as burger is concerned. It isn't really even a competition.

Comedy Miss Ann's Snack Bar burger option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I hate R. Thomas, and think it's bad food, overpriced, with worse service. So there you have it: controversy.

Also, inhumane treatment of birds!

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

:lol: That's amazing.

quote:

This special event encourages fathers and daughters to spend time together at Chick-fil-A, enjoying food, activities and each other.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
The burgers are for tourists.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
OTP counts as tourism.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

mango sentinel posted:

So is Hachiguchi Jr the consensus suggestion on sushi? I have a friend looking for a sushi place (with veggie options) for his anniversary with his wife but he lives here in Athens and doesnt know anything about Atlanta.

Also donner guy, check out Keba if you're in Athens (originally Achim's K-bob,) the guy who started it is German and I assume it's closer to German style donner than say Gyro Wrap.

If you're looking for a sushi place but want lots of vegetarian options you're already crossing off most if not all good sushi places.

If it's an anniversary dinner, ambiance may be more important than strict food quality or authenticity... depends on the couple. If she's a vegetarian going out for sushi, I would definitely say that it matters.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I'd probably lose my cool in your position. Vegas has such good food options if you really care, too. Most of it is expensive, but really good.

Food Court. Ugh.

Sort of reminds me of when I was in Birmingham with a coworker, talking to some girl at the bar of Highland Bar and Grill and ask her what else was good in town... she explained they had an awesome local pizza place called Mellow Mushroom. And then told me they had a really amazing local thai place called Surin. There's just no telling with some people.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

mindphlux posted:

oh well there's a taco mac if that's what you were looking for

aaaaaaahahahahahahaaaa

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Also more realistically tap is closer to the midtown w, and while not in the same league as ESS it is a reasonable place for a group. We go there for lunch sometimes at work.

And for a big group of what are probably otp visitors staying at the W walking more than two blocks is probably not on the table given the likely willingness to walk

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

RHIN0002 posted:

I need some recommendations for a few very good lunch spots for this coming weekend, as I'll staying in the downtown area for the entirety of DragonCon.
We're staying at the Holiday Inn a block from Centennial and anything walking distance would be great, but also anything accessible via Marta would work as well since the station is directly in the middle of the Con.
As far as cost goes, anything is fine. We're going to Trader Vic's Thursday evening, but other than that, I have nothing.

Take MARTA to Decatur. Better food than most of what you'll get downtown, and you won't have to deal with as much craziness. It is the weekend of the Decatur Book Festival, so midday/afternoons will be busy, but evenings will be normal.

Brickstore, which is right on the Decatur Square, is arguably the best beer bar in Atlanta. Top 10 in the world. And it's not expensive to drink there.

There's also Leon's, 246, Iberian Pig, Mac McGee's, Twains, Cakes and Ale, Farmburger (a bit couple blocks walk from the square), there are tons of good eating and drinking options.

I forget whether they let you walk around in the square with alcohol during book fest, but I think the answer is "yes."

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Book a room in Asheville, go hiking in the fog/rain in the blue ridge mountains, come back every night to great beer and fun times.

Hotel Indigo is good. I've also really liked the Residences at Biltmore, but it's a bit more money and not within a close walk to downtown.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Cream & Shuga in Jefferson.

That's outside the perimeter, and just as far as Athens.

I think Alabama is closer to Atlanta than Jefferson GA.

Your coffee shop looks really cool and ga pride & all that, but people are really stretching the definition of "Atlanta dining" if it's an hour + away, in the wasteland of winder/gainseville/commerce/dahlonega/etc.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Yeah, I live in Atlanta

Cool, what part?

Birmingham, Al.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
No problem with Skinny King Pimp or his wasteland hummus and coffee outpost, it's probably the only thing they have in the red Georgia clay desert of the former Confederacy.

He didn't even come suggest his place in this thread. Nothing wrong, great guy I'm sure, in fact I love you all!

But I just don't think it's Atlanta Dining. Start a rural Georgia dining thread. Or go post in the Walking Dead thread in TVIV. I hear they serve charcuterie and offal.

There are so many amazing places inside Atlanta that it's just incredibly frustrating when people bring up something and it's an hour+ away drive. That's not Atlanta. It may be amazing, but it's a different city. Start a different thread, as I joked, or make some southeast dining thread. Or if you want to compliment a guy's cooking, post in the industry thread.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Not noteworthy. I know Fred Castelucci really well and I'm not constantly posting about his OTP restaurants.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
It's more about going to a new place than being refused. I rarely get carded, but at the places I'm a regular my guests aren't ever carded either. Not that it matters to me, but it goes along with the territory of going to a new, packed place with a bunch of unfamiliar people. I think poor services tends to be part of that package, unfortunately, as well.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

WaterIsPoison posted:

Not really surprising and a bit old (I just heard about it), but Five Napkin Burger shut it's doors after just 12 months. Guess serving overpriced burgers in a market saturated with hamburger joints is a bit tough. Seems that the whole corner of 10th and Piedmont has the toughest luck with local businesses lately.

ESS is a block and a half away and is doing fine.

The Flying biscuit is also doing great, though I'm not a huge fan of their food they are extremely popular.

It isn't tough luck with local businesses, it's tough luck with bad business plans.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Josh Lyman posted:

My 28th birthday is today. A female friend recommend I go to Barcelona Wine Bar, to which I responded, "Can I go alone?" since tonight isn't especially convenient for people. From what I can tell, it would be a bad idea.

Why are you having your birthday dinner alone?

Go to Manuel's tavern, tonight will be great for alone birthday party action.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I've been going to every debate at Manuel's and it is lots of fun. Smoke a bunch, drink a ton, yell at the screen.

In fact I'm there right now. Good bar seats mean getting there early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Josh Lyman posted:

Woah, Ribs & Blues is gone? Did they have the same owner?

The last time I went there was a year and a half ago. Cheap pitchers next door to my office.

I used to work on 5th, sad to see them go.