Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Having read the thread I think I have an idea of what the answer will be but how do you guys feel about the Buckhead Life Group offerings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

they're fine I guess. overpriced, menus pander to the lowest common denominator, always crowded, but food is always ok.

the sort of places I'd never spend my own money at, but if someone else is footing the bill, sure why not.

why do you ask?
Just wondering if the consensus was, as I expected, along the lines of yours. I think you're being a little harsh, but I don't entirely disagree.

As for Mexican, my go-to is Coyote Grill, pretty close to downtown Decatur. I haven't really made a huge effort to scour Atlanta for Mexican food so I can't say whether it's amazing or not, but it's certainly better than a lot of the shitholes I've eaten at. And the pricing is about the same. It's a slightly sketchy area I guess, but there's pretty frequently a cop car parked in their lot for some reason and I've been going to that area for years with no problems. It's just an area that doesn't have much money put into it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

godzirraRAWR posted:

Neuvo Laredo by far for me. That is, if you can push your way through the hordes of margarita swilling hipsters.

I've never seen this place full, much less packed. But never empty, either. When it's slow they sometimes let their little girl work the register which is pretty adorable.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Any of you familiar with Shoya next to the Super H Mart on Peachtree Industrial? I've been there a couple of times on the suggestion of a friend and it seems pretty good, though fairly pricey.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

signalnoise posted:

If what you want is a pretty fun time with decent actual Japanese food then they're pretty good. At the end of the day though if you are going for the food instead of the izakaya experience, you're better off elsewhere. I find it's best with like 8 people.

Is there a place in the same general part of Atlanta where I can get the same kind of food for cheaper? They have some really tasty stuff that I hadn't seen available at the handful of other Japanese places I've been to but I couldn't care less about the setting. Unless I'm in that example you just gave.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

just gonna beat my 'hachiguchi jr' drum. theirs is pretty good. I've had it at taka too, not shabby. even ru-sans (buckhead) has it, but theirs was actually sort of bad...

Well, it IS Buckhead Ru-San's, so it should kind of be expected.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

signalnoise posted:

Anyone up on catering?

I nominate The Varsity

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Safety Dance posted:

Can anyone recommend a good (ideally not too expensive) restaurant in the Emory, Druid Hills, Decatur, or Midtown areas (with ample parking) that would handle a party of about 20 well? I'm drawing blanks.
You need to be more specific. 20 isn't all that many people and I feel like most restaurants could handle that number without much notice. To begin with, "not too expensive" is completely subjective. What kind of food are you looking for? Is one person paying for this or will it be separate? Are you looking for a home-style sort of meal? Will you want wine or other drinks? Does everybody need to be able to hear everyone else? Does everybody need to be able to listen to one person?

If all you need is to get food inside of 20 people for 10-20 dollars, then Taco Mac in Downtown Decatur would be perfectly fine.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I don't know of any good dedicated seafood places that fit what you're looking for, but Bistro Niko has several fish dishes and they pretty frequently have a fish special. It can be a little loud and exposed in there depending on where you get seated, but it's a nice place with good service. If you're looking for something really cozy and highfalutin, there's Antica Posta. But you're gonna be paying more there than most places.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

crm posted:

My food experiences so far were:

Veni Vidi Vici (got an Internet buddy who's the Chef de Cuisine)
Vortex
Atlanta Fish Market

None have disappointed. I think I've also put on 10 lbs lol

Those are all solid places to eat. You have many more to go, though.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Blegh. Sounds pretty cool, but Norcross.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
When they say Belgian sours does that mean Lambics or what?

edit: I wish they'd give some indication of the sort of food they're gonna have, though. Most of their booze doesn't appeal to me.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 26, 2012

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Also if the noise bothers you, go up the stairs and around the next two left turns. You'll be in a cozy little room.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

what is this posted:

There are so many amazing places inside Atlanta that it's just incredibly frustrating when people bring up something and it's an hour+ away drive. That's not Atlanta. It may be amazing, but it's a different city. Start a different thread, as I joked, or make some southeast dining thread. Or if you want to compliment a guy's cooking, post in the industry thread.
I wish I didn't agree, since I want goons to have all the accolades for good food, but yeah. Whenever people start referencing places like that I get all excited, only to be crushed when I find out it's outside the perimeter. poo poo, I'm pretty unwilling to go very far away from Decatur, much less OTP.

However, I'd be fine with it as long as it's the first thing said about a place so that we don't get our hopes up. Like, "This place is way the gently caress outside of Atlanta and it's called..." Mainly because a separate thread for OTP/North Georgia stuff would almost certaily languish and die.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

whelp,

I ate at the optimist and was not very impressed. it was crowded as gently caress at 9:30 on a Wednesday (my bday! hurray), and we still had to wait over 40 minutes for our 9:30 reservation. The bar was out of the first two wines I ordered while waiting - and to be honest if I'm eating at a place where the entrees are approaching $30, and I have to wait 40 minutes for my (already pretty late) reservation, I sort of expect them to at least offer me a drink or something. Not sure if that's just me bein a lil bitchy, but I feel like I'm normally a pretty nice and reasonable dining patron, having worked in the industry and all.

So anyways, I finally got a $10 glass of wine that I was definitely not enthusiastic about, which I'm sure didn't really set the tone right for me, but I brushed it off and we eventually got seated.

Service is a little awkward and ignores us for a while, but finally dudeman our age comes over. We put in our orders for like $80 worth of food, and then order a $40 bottle of wine, and our server asks to see ID. Fine, it's my birthday! I'm turning 29, I'd love to show you my ID! Waiter dude doesn't even notice, which is fine I mean I only look at the year too, but then goes to my girl and whoooopppppppsss she left her ID at home. I'm like 'man, it's my birthday, I'm 29, she's 27, we just got engaged, look here's the ring - can you just give us a pass' and he's (I guess understandably) like no. he offers to get a manager, goes off, comes back without a word and pretty rudely swoops her wine glass off the table and then the manager comes up and is like 'no, sorry, you need photo ID.'

Though I understand that's the law and they could get hosed for exceptions, I'm ready to leave at that point. but, girl is like no it's fine I don't care. I ordered the bottle of wine anyways, the food was all pretty good, but nothing earthshattering or very interesting - just well cooked fish mostly. bill was like $130 before tip.

I don't know, I try not to let a single bad incident color my perceptions of a place, but they failed on pretty much every level save food, and that wasn't really memorable, so doubt I'll be going back. sucks. :(

Everything else is about what I would expect from The Newest Trendy Place to Eat, but you really can't justify getting mad at a new restaurant for refusing to break a law that could get their liquor license revoked. It's pretty lovely to leave your ID at home and then get angry at someone because they won't give you booze. That's not bad service.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WaterIsPoison posted:

Also, I really enjoy the Dekalb Farmer's Market, however I just cannot get my girlfriend to go there with me because the last time we went she was completely flustered by how crowded it was with complete assholes.

By 'assholes' does she perhaps mean 'minorities'? I'm not trying to be snarky, a lot of people do seem uncomfortable when they're in there for reasons they're never able to fully articulate to me, just that the people there made them edgy. I go there pretty often and the only thing that somewhat annoys me is that a lot of the people who work there don't speak much english. Assholes are rare.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

anyways yeah, sorry your experience was less than stellar / didn't live up to my hambar promise

Have you cultivated a food-critic vibe? Maybe they were sucking up to you. Was it at an off-peak time?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

AgentHaiTo posted:

I know it's a little thing, but it's a pet peeve of mine when a restaurant doesn't have clear hours listed somewhere prominently.

I'm consistently baffled by the bahavior of restaurants towards the internet. In this day and age there is no excuse to not have hours for every day of the week, specific location info (not awful directions from your mom's house, not an un-copyable address, NOT A GRAINY 10 YEAR OLD SCREENSHOT OF MAPQUEST), and ideally a sample menu. It doesn't even cost any money if you're supremely cheap; you can just put all that on Google maps or Yelp or whatever. Yet time and time again I'll search for some type of food in an area, get a result, but be able to find nothing of substance about the place, not even a phone number. Every time I encounter this I just assume you have some lovely little restaurant that's probably closed, jackasses!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
This fried chicken talk reminded me of Matthew's Cafeteria over in Tucker, a little OTP and right off Lawrenceville Highway. My parents and I used to go there semi-frequently when I was a kid since I was taking karate classes near there, but I haven't been in almost a decade now. I remember liking their fried chicken, but I have no idea how good it actually was/is. I think I was more excited about their various jellos and pies. Any of you ever been there?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WaterIsPoison posted:

So Dante's is closing in the next few months, I wonder if anyone will actually miss the place...

There are people who dislike Dante's...?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I live almost on top of downtown Decatur so I'll definitely give the place a try at some point. If I can get away from work early enough I might even try for this Friday.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I could probably make it if it's 8:30 during the week, since I work late and then have to drive back into town. I've been meaning to try the place ever since you started posting about it, so this will be a good excuse.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Generally, parking around Decatur annoys me enough that I just go for the bigger government lots and walk a little further to avoid paying and/or spending ages hunting for a spot.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Definitely do eat Varsity food if you're like me and have the intestinal fortitude of A Real Man™ :unsmigghh:

For real though, it's greasy fast food. It has the effect that any greasy fast food has. I recommend it to people as a joke as much as anything, though I seriously do like their chili dogs and onion rings. I'm not sure why the thread has such a seething hatred for it.

The frosted orange is somewhere between an orange julius and a milkshake. It's kind of hard to describe.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

signalnoise posted:

I loving love Shoya. And here's the super secret, too- It might look like you're intended to just order a bunch of appetizer stuff, but the entrees are also amazing. I've seen a lot of people hype up umaido in this thread for ramen, and they're good if you just want ramen and happen to be in Suwanee, but for my money Shoya's ramen is just as good if not better (I prefer Shoya's noodles)

Though ordering a ton of appetizers certainly is an option to consider; they have a ton of tasty stuff. Although be warned that doing so can easily run your wallet ragged. I don't know if it's still a thing there, but they used to have a mid-week special where you could get 10 takoyaki for 10 bucks if gorging on octopus balls sounds like something you'd like to do. Or I guess you could share them if you're weird or something.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

crm posted:

Any recommendations on seafood that's not obscenely expensive that I can get 4 people into tonight?

Can't get into the optimist until late.

I guess it depends on the kind of seafood you're after and your quality/price requirements? "Obscenely expensive" is a completely relative term, especially in this thread.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Omerta posted:

I have a "money is of no consequence" kinda dinner coming up. Any recommendations? It'll be in about a month. Not saying I want expensive for the sake of expensive, but I'd like quality non-steakhouse and I'm ok if it's really expensive.

If it were me, I'd probably go with Antica Caposta.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm planning on going. Thanks for setting this up!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'll be coming straight from work but am still gonna be there. Do you think parking will be any more manageable that time of night or should I still plan on the public lot behind that Texas something something place?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

kontona posted:

had a great time at chai pani last night and it was nice meeting everyone. thanks again landrobot.

i enjoyed what i got but also got jealous of other people's orders. definitely going back in the near future.

Yeah, thanks for the setup and the bhel puri/that other thing. I managed to choke on water, so I consider the night to be a resounding success. Definitely want to try and make it back there with a few friends. It's a place that I would have trouble eating at alone since I won't be able to finish anything by myself, but I want to try different things. But it's also a restaurant that I wouldn't take a date to unless I already knew her well enough to not need to talk much; that place is pretty impossible to casually chat in.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

finally made it to chai pani - it was good! :) props for mango pickle on the table, I love that stuff with a passion.

Ah, so THAT'S what that stuff was. All I knew was that it tasted good on everything.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

(and then you could brag to all your OTP friends about how hip you are)

When is that ever something you're NOT able to do, though? Purely by virtue of not being OTP makes you hipper than those losers.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

anyways speaking of inner city happenings, that sydney marcus 400/85 interchange thing is supposed to be done by the end of this month I think. lol not gonna happen

Ahahaha, you're a funny guy

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Josh Lyman posted:

Not that any of you eat at Ru Sans, and not that this is terribly surprising, but still: http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2013/08/01/restaurant-inspections-ru-sans/

Hey, speak for yourself. Me and some friends will still hit up the Piedmont Ru San's every now and then out of nostalgia from when we were in high school and didn't know any better. Sometimes you just wanna get trashy :unsmigghh:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
While we're on the subject, anybody have suggestions for good chinese around downtown Decatur? When I lived with my parents I was pretty close to Buford highway and got spoiled by easy access. There's a chinese/indian fusion place that's pretty ok, but it's kinda expensive for the portion sizes and the dishes are super hit or miss.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

FordCQC posted:

They make everything from scratch except their potato salad, apparently, including banana pudding which I'm sure will be a highlight on our next visit.

What a strange item to be the only thing they don't make themselves.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

venutolo posted:

I had dinner at The General Muir tonight (pierogi night!) and talked to one of the managers about setting up a dinner sometime in the near future. She said they could probably come up with some sort of fixed price, three course menu if desired ($30 was the price thrown out, but I wouldn't hold them to that). So if that appeals, we could do that, however people may just want Reubens, crab Reubens, pastrami and liver sandwiches, poutine, and other items that The General Muir is most known for (especially if it would be your first visit).

Sometime in the next few days I'll start planning this thing. I'll probably put up some sort of Google Docs form to try to figure out some Saturday night when most people could make it and whether we want to have a fixed price menu or just order off the normal Saturday night menu.

How do you think the hypothetical $30 figure might compare to just ordering off the menu, food-wise? After hearing you guys yak about this place so much you've gone and got me interested, but I'm not so sure about that price. I'm freshly unemployed and need to skate by on my savings for a while.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm a big fan of Shoya. They've got a big menu and everything I've had there is really solid, sushi or otherwise (they have a lot of other Japanese foods). Plus they have a nice selection of imported booze that you don't see too often.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Honestly I think that a lot of my enjoyment of the Varsity comes from the instinctual revulsion that so many people have to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WaterIsPoison posted:

Went to King + Duke last night. It was pretty solid, but service could have been better. We arrived for an 8:45 reservation and didn't get seated until 9:30. Apparently several tables were sitting with their checks for a while (one table sat with their check for an hour!). I'm not too familiar with the restaurant business, but it seems at that point you'd think the manager would politely ask them to leave or order more food.

There's no good way out of that situation for the restaurant. About the only thing you can do is gently suggest that maybe the people at the table would enjoy having their drinks at the bar along with a complementary dessert or something. If you don't have a bar or lounge you're pretty much stuck unless you're the sort of restaurant where you don't care if people get mad.