Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
Whoa, an Atlanta food thread? awesome.

mindphlux posted:

so, I haven't eaten at any of these new barbeque places that have sprung up over the last couple years. are there any that are particularly stand out?

Decaturite (best neighborhood) here, so I can only really speak to the new stuff on my side of town:

Community Q barbeque in North Decatur on Clairmont is good, if a bit expensive. The sides are pretty awesome. Their Macaroni and Cheese is delicious, but is a bit heavy and rich to pair with an already generous portion of BBQ. The ribs and pork are both delicious. Be forewarned, however-- this place can get kinda overloaded with families and Emory students. Consider takeout, or if not that, feel free to hit up either Bhojanic (an indian tapas style place, with overall great food) or Cappozzis (New York style italian food-- an excellent value) which are both in the same shopping center/strip mall and deserve a visit.

Burnt Fork BBQ, just north of decatur square on Church, is also pretty good, but I've had inconsistent experiences (and it is also a bit overpriced, IMO). I respect their attempts at promoting locally sourced and sustainable stuff. The sides are all pretty great; I really enjoy the kale and the brunswick stew. They also have some non-traditional (by southern BBQ standards) dishes on their menu that I've been meaning to try-- including some interesting korean and latin inspired stuff. If it weren't for the incredibly dry pulled pork that I was served once (and the impossible parking situation), I would give this place a more enthusiastic recommendation. Friendly staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
If you're talking about the LFP Vortex, you would probably be better off going to the Porter or Wrecking Bar. Those places both have solid burgers, a much better beer selection, and don't feel like the biker version of a TGI Fridays on the inside.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
Ya know, I think I was being a bit harsh. That place just isn't really my crowd, but they do have some pretty solid burgers, especially if the occasional bout of gluttony is your thing.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
Anyone know what's happening to Illegal Food now that they're out at Joystick? Not to bring back burger-chat, but I really enjoyed the few I had there.