Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm a DC/Northern VA transplant that just moved down here in January. Is there any decent pho in Atlanta? I'm dying here. There's a place near our apartment (west end of the Georgia Tech campus) called "City Cafe" that advertises pho but it doesn't look particularly authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Oh dear God, thank you both. I will avoid the crappy Chinese restaurant and get my rear end up Buford Highway. There's nothing quite like a nice big steaming bowl of pho, especially on a cloudy day.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

godzirraRAWR posted:

But I really think that Pho is one of those things that unless its very terrible, you fall in love at the first place you try it.

Very true! And I have yet to find terrible pho. We tried out Pho Dai Loi tonight per Venutolo's suggestion and it was exactly what I wanted. Very similar to my regular pho place up in the Vietnamese/Korean neighborhood in northern VA where I lived. As an added bonus, the little Buddhist shrine they had by the register contained not only the usual oranges, bottled water, and incense, but also a pack of Newports! Ancestors need a smoke once in awhile too.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Thanks to this thread I had a lovely dinner at Taka tonight. I just watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" on Netflix, so I had a hankering for sushi, and the fiance (who refuses to touch seafood of any kind despite my best efforts) was working late. Perfect opportunity! I sat at the bar and had the sashimi sampler and the spicy tuna roll, as well as miso soup. The sashimi sampler looked so good it made the guy next to me order one. Everything was really fresh and flavorful, and the octopus was nice and tender, not rubbery at all. The salmon absolutely melted in my mouth. The service was good too- my tea and water were never empty. Overall a very pleasant experience, I'd definitely go back.