Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mindphlux posted:

flip is where its at for non-traditional burgers, but grindhouse and farm burger are both very respectable traditional burger places - I think I like grindhouse a bit more if I'm going for like a straight up bacon cheeseburger, and farm burger if I'm feeling more bluecheese and caramelized onion with bone marrow.

of course h&f burger tops them all imho - but probably only because of the cute girl who seems to always be working the grill, and her heavy handed use of salt.

but I guess all that's just, like, my opinion man

My favorite fancy burger is Muss & Turner's in Vinings. Medium-rare grass fed beef, hell yeah.

That with a token salad and a tasty microbrew makes a great lunch.

Angstronaut posted:

Anybody got a good Japanese noodle place recommendation? Looks like Hashiguchi is closed.

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna makes some drat good ramen as well as their delicious yakitori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ulmont posted:

While Buford Highway definitely has more authentic pho, the Moto restaurant at Cheshire Bridge and Old Lenox Road is probably closer and pretty good (although it's been a while since I was there, and they are in a location that is death to restaurants, so you never know):
http://motovietnamesegrill.net/

Com in Dunwoody has some good pho as well, if you're ever on the north side of town. There's also Dua downtown on Broad Street, but honestly I don't like Dua's pho that much myself. (Their complete lack of bahn mi despite being a downtown lunch joint is also a terrible shame.)

Edit: Speaking of downtown, there's a new Mediterranean place on the corner of Walton and Farlie, Baraka Shawarma. Had some chicken kabsa with a side of tabouli and it was very good; the rice was amazing. Also can't wait to see how Le French Quarter Cafe in the Healey building turns out, and this summer a couple guys who ran a food truck in LA are opening an Indian place, NaanStop, on Broad Street; looking forward to that for sure.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 30, 2012

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mango sentinel posted:

I mean, it's not some crazy avant garde poo poo, but a lot of the accompaniments to the entrees have somewhat unusual ingredients or combinations that make her feel a little weird about the menu.

They're using less common ingredients, but I don't see anything all that weird on their menu. Is your wife just uneasy because she doesn't know what they are? Mostly they seem to be just various veggies, i.e.:

GA Trout dashi: benne gnocchi, tokyo bekana, yellow foot mushroom, radish, honey tangelo

is basically just trout with a mushroom/kelp broth, sesame dumplings, cabbage, mushroom, radish, and tangerine. There's probably a lot of specific ingredients on the menu your wife hasn't tried, but most of it is going to be similar to food she's eaten before (unless she's literally lived on nothing but Chicken McNuggets for the past twenty years). The wait staff at a place like that ought to know the menu and be able to explain what each dish is, so she could always ask about anything she's not sure of.

If her objection is more along the lines of "Eww, I've never had fish and mushrooms together, so it must be strange and scary!" rather than "What the gently caress is a tokyo bekana?", maybe a fine dining place isn't really her cup of tea, though...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Atlanta Fish Market is my favorite seafood place. Great food, a bit on the expensive side (but well worth it). Not sure how "nice" you're aiming for; the atmosphere is more casual, so if you're looking for a fancy jackets-and-ties-only sort of place, it might not fit. If you just want a nice place with some excellent seafood and you don't care if the folks at the table across the way are wearing shorts, though, it'd be perfect.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

b0g posted:

Hey,

I'm curious, Anyone know any european delicatessen type shops in atlanta that do not suck? I knw some of them have little sandwich shops in them and was wondering about those too.

Thanks

Wienerz in Smyrna, on Atlanta Road behind Dobbins, is a cool little butcher shop and deli. They make their own sausages; their beer brats are amazing. They're also right next door to Bernhard's, a little German bakery that makes some awesome bread.

Alon's in Dunwoody has a great deli and bakery, a proper cheese shop, and tons of deli-type prepared foods, as well as sandwiches and such. I particularly love their hummus.

Edit: Not European or a deli, but the Brazilian Bakery Cafe on Powers Ferry in Marietta is fantastic as well.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 30, 2012

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

venutolo posted:

Aren't all fast food burgers well done? I certainly would be terrified if I got a burger that looked medium rare from McDonald's.

Yeah, I wouldn't get a burger anything less than well done at any chain restaurant, or really any place unless I trust them to handle their ground beef properly. I doubt most chains would cook it less than well done for liability reasons, anyway.

If you haven't, you need to try the burger at Muss & Turner's; medium rare grass-fed beef from a local farm. It's my favorite burger by far.

On an unrelated note, Fox Brothers BBQ got squished by a tree last night, so they'll probably be closed for a bit.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

RHIN0002 posted:

I need some recommendations for a few very good lunch spots for this coming weekend, as I'll staying in the downtown area for the entirety of DragonCon.
We're staying at the Holiday Inn a block from Centennial and anything walking distance would be great, but also anything accessible via Marta would work as well since the station is directly in the middle of the Con.
As far as cost goes, anything is fine. We're going to Trader Vic's Thursday evening, but other than that, I have nothing.

Googie in the park has pretty good burgers and fries (and awesome shakes). Broad Street between Peachtree and Marietta St. has some good lunch places, including Ali Baba's, Rosa's Pizza, and Reuben's if you want some awesome sandwiches. Most everything there except Reubens are M-F lunch joints, though. If you wander over to Walton St. between Farlie and Forsyth, there's an awesome shawarma place (if it's still open, haven't been there in a few months) and a great Caribbean joint, Calypso Cafe. Further north, Cafe Intermezzo next to The Ellis at Ellis and Peachtree is pretty good.

Also, you should go check out the Sun Dial on top of the Westin at some point. No idea if the food is any good (and it's damned expensive), so you might want to just pop into the lounge for an overpriced drink, but the view is pretty awesome.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Finally got over to Bacchanalia for the first time for my birthday dinner tonight and goddamn was it good. Had the Lonzino, the veal sweetbreads, the pork loin and belly, goat cheese and beets, and these chocolate-hazelnut stuffed cornmeal balls with orange custard for dessert, along with a couple very tasty wines. Definitely worth the price.

Wandered over to Ormsby's afterwards to check it out. It was too crowded for my taste tonight, but it looks like it'd be a fun spot to hang out at on a quieter night. Hard to find good nonsmoking bars around here, so that's a plus.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I had a nice seared tuna steak at Atlanta Fish Market once, but that was a few years ago, so I have no idea if it's still on their menu.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

venutolo posted:

How about non-pho/banh mi Vietnamese at Quan Ba 9? Colombian at La Casona? Argentinian/Uruguayan at Sabores del Plata? Peruvian at Machu Picchu? Salvadoran at Rincon Latino? Indonesian at Tempo Doeloe? Filipino at FilAm Star? Italian at Olive Garden?

Man, sometimes I wish I lived closer to Buford Highway. It's a pain in the rear end to get to that side of town, especially when they close most of 285 for construction (i.e. every weekend). :(

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Neena posted:

On another level, there's Bacchanalia, which is amazing but not specifically seafood. (Do Bacchanalia if money is no object.)

Seconding Bacchanalia, it is indeed an amazing restaurant. I had dinner there for my birthday last December and it was spectacular; I'd say it was the second-best meal I've ever had. Well worth the price. Keep in mind that the pace of the meal is fairly slow, though, so make sure to plan for spending at least a couple of hours there.

Bonus: Ormsby's is right next door for some after-dinner (or before-dinner) bar fun, though it does get ridiculously crowded on Saturday nights.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Not in town, but House of Chan in Smyrna is my go-to Chinese place. It's not fancy, just a typical Americanized Cantonese menu with a few extra specialties, but everything is homemade and fresh, not frozen Sysco crap, and it's really good.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

FordCQC posted:

Got to try new BBQ place Righteous 'Que in Marietta last night.

Hell, that's close enough to my work for a longish lunch one of these days, I'll have to give it a try.

The coleslaw at Old South is my favorite. So simple, but so goddamn good. Wasn't all that much of a coleslaw fan before I tried theirs, and now I'm always vaguely disappointed whenever I try the slaw anywhere else.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

FordCQC posted:

How tangy is it? Most coleslaw isn't tangy enough for my taste.

Yeah, that's my problem too. I'm not a fan of cream-based dressings on my veggies (with the exception of a proper Caesar, of course); I like tangy vinaigrettes. Old South's slaw isn't made with mayo; the cabbage, etc. is chopped really fine and soaked in what is basically slightly sweetened vinegar. It's amazing.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I've heard good things about RosaMia, if your definition of "Norcross" is broad enough. Haven't been there myself, though.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The two pairings I had at my birthday dinner there last year were excellent. I just don't have the tolerance to put away more than a couple glasses of wine over the course of a dinner, though.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Muss & Turner's also makes a pretty goddamn good burger, although I'll admit I haven't been to most of the other places mentioned yet. :sigh:

M&Ts is the best burger I've ever had, if you like the thick juicy medium-rare burger thing. The fact that there's always some awesome beer to go with it doesn't hurt, either. :v: I fear it's ruined other hamburgers for me, though, but I also haven't tried those other places, so there might yet be hope.

If you like fast-food style burgers (but actually good) and you're around downtown, Googie Burger in the park has some pretty tasty ones (though I really prefer their chicken sandwich, which is incredible). Good milkshakes, too. Shame I was always there for lunch at work, so I never got to try their spiked shakes.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

godzirraRAWR posted:

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna, its at 41 and 75 near the Best Buy kinda sorta ish. Thats been my go to for YEARS. Granted, no where close to Buckhead :(

Jinbei's ramen and other noodle dishes are awesome. The yakitori is excellent, too, but they only serve it for dinner. It's actually across Cobb Parkway from the Best Buy, in the Office Depot shopping center.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mindphlux posted:

i think you linked the wrong place, this is in suwanee

Some people have a very liberal definition of "Atlanta". :10bux: says the OP either commutes an hour plus to work each way or is one of those vacation rental landlords that uses "Very close to [Popular Tourist Spot]" to describe their rental property that's about fifty miles from [Popular Tourist Spot]. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

AgentHaiTo posted:

Going to Miller's Union for the first time tomorrow for dinner for my wife's birthday. Anything special we should order?

Guess it's a little late for this, but their pastries are great, so don't skip dessert. I also had their homemade pork sausage and it was excellent. Only been once (stopped for dinner before seeing the Dad's Garage Invasion Christmas Carol at Fabrefaction a few weeks ago), so I haven't had anything else there, though.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I had a really good pizza at Fritti last time I was there (the Robiola e Pesto, I think). Probably the best Neopolitan-style pizza I've had around here, though I haven't tried Antico. Most of their seating is in their big covered front patio, and it was reasonably quiet when I was there (early Saturday evening). Their pizzas run about $12-$15; my brother and I somehow polished off one each, but it made for a fairly big meal. I would definitely go back.

Don't know about parking now, though, since when I was in that area I was always parking at Dad's Garage for a show and grabbing dinner first (yeah I'm a OTP car-haver, deal with it :colbert: ). There used to be some valet parking across Elizabeth, but I think that whole block's been bulldozed, so I have no idea where there's public parking around there now, except a few spots on the street.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

AgentHaiTo posted:

By the way, does anyone know a good Jamaican restaurant?

Tassa on Powers Ferry is really drat good, if you don't mind a buffet place, though it's more Trinidad than Jamaica. Calypso Cafe on Walton is also pretty good, if a bit basic; used to go there pretty often for lunch when I worked downtown.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Got to give Wrecking Bar a try tonight while I was in L5P for Amber Nash's show at Dad's Garage. The Jemmy Stout was really good, the beer cheese soup was pretty much perfect (could have used a couple more slices of that delicious pumpernickel bread, though; one just wasn't enough), and the BBQ sandwich was very tasty (though I had to take a knife and fork to it as the bottom bun had disintegrated under all that juicy BBQ pork). Fries were also excellent. Wish I'd had time to give the dessert menu a try, but there's always next time. Definitely hitting them up again if I can ever get another weekend off work to go catch a show.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I haven't been to Flip in a while, but as I recall, they had some potentially interesting burger concepts, but the execution was kind of meh. They were usually overcooked and just not all that great; definitely not worth the money. Their shakes were pretty good, though, but also a bit overpriced. And yeah, I don't know what's up with that abomination, but it looks terrifying.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Muss & Turner's near Vinings has an awesome burger (get it medium rare), and you can get a good random craft beer to go with it. (Warning: it's a couple thousand feet west of 285, so you'll officially be Outside the Perimeter, but the burger is totally worth being forever unclean... :v: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Got to hit up Wrecking Bar again tonight; had the beer cheese soup again (still great, though this time there wasn't any bread with it at all; beer cheese soup really needs some good chewy bread with it... :( ), then had the pork'n'beans for an entree, which was an awesome dish with a few links of an amazing spicy pork sausage on some really good beans, with a spicy BBQ sauce that was full of bacon and pork bits and some excellent sauerkraut. Also got there early enough to have time for dessert, so I had the eponymous Wrecking Bar, sort of a crispy hazelnut thing with a layer of chocolate on top; it was delicious, though afterwards I was pretty drat stuffed after eating the whole thing on top of all that other food ( :btroll: ). My brother had the burger and thought it was really good as well, though like the pork sandwich I had last time, the bun couldn't sustain its structural integrity and it ended up being pretty messy by the time he was done. We also had some good beers as usual. Good stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mindphlux posted:

I've had tons of disappointing ramen experiences in atlanta. :(

I really enjoyed Yakitori Jinbei, but other than that...

Jinbei isn't as good as it used to be, sadly. Their ramen has gone downhill in the last couple years.