Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Oh hey, another Atlanta thread! I'll give my opinion on stuff on my side of town (Marietta/Vinings/Cobb).

Canoe, Vinings - No question, my favorite restaurant in the entire metro area. I recommend the rabbit and the kick rear end she crab soup. Cocktails are also top notch.

Atkins Park, Smyrna - Dinner here is great and so are the cocktails but I'm a big brunch person and their brunch menu is amazing and very reasonably priced. Crabmeat eggs benedict, fantastic grits, wonderful hashbrowns. All of that for under $30 including drinks for me and my wife.

Miyako, Mableton/Austell - Best sushi and hibachi on this side of town. Their sushi is always very fresh and they come up with new and interesting special rolls on a regular basis.

Harry's Farmers Market/Whole Foods Marietta - I work around the corner from this so I will go there for hot lunch or salad about once a week. The selection of hot foods and salads can range from weird, vegan stuff I usually stay away from (but admittedly I've tried a few things that were really good) to the aptly named Sinful Scalloped Potatoes. It's priced by the pound so you can get whatever you want. Some of the dishes are also available in the cooler to take home and heat up later.

Green Lotus, Mableton/Austell - Consistently good Chinese take out/delivery. Fast and cheap.

I'd also like to mourn the passing of a former favorite in the area, Fortunato's. It sold out to a new owner. It sucks now. Former winner of CL best pizza in Atlanta and now it tastes like cardboard...sigh...

Has anyone ever done the tour at Sweetwater? I was thinking about going sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Generally the regular/non-seasonal Sweetwater brews are kinda meh to me, but some of their seasonals and Dank Tank special projects really kick rear end. I've heard that you may have the opportunity to sample beers that simply aren't available anywhere else on the tour.

I used to have a Taco Mac around the corner (E/W Connector/Austell) that would carry the Dank Tank brews but it got shut down for some reason. I WANT MY GODDAMN 98 BEERS ON TAP AROUND THE CORNER BACK DAMMIT! :argh:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

mindphlux posted:

I've only been to canoe once, and my food was pretty bad. but, this was like 4 years ago, I should give it another try...

The she-crab soup, complete with a jigger of cream sherry to add at the last minute, is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth, period.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Patak kicks rear end. I just wish they didn't have such stupid hours. Everything I've ever bought there has been wonderful. I'm particularly a fan of the Hungarian sausages. Lovely, ridiculously thick pork chops. Pierogies to die for.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Finally hit up Brick Store on Saturday. Had three beers I've never had before and all three were excellent; one of them was from the cellar and wasn't even on the menu. We asked for it and the waitress was like, "Let me check the cellar..."

Yeah, I'd like to see that cellar. :stare:

We had the pimento cheese appetizer, I had the Shepherd's Daughter's Pie (my only complaint is that I could have eaten twice the size of the portion I was given because I was starving), and my buddy got the Cornish Game Hen. It was all great. I wish I was in a position at the time to continue to some of the other great-looking bars in the immediate area. Next time, maybe!

It was loud as hell but that's understandable. The atmosphere was fun and the service was fantastic. I like their "anyone can serve you" approach. I tipped very well.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Zenzirouj posted:

Also if the noise bothers you, go up the stairs and around the next two left turns. You'll be in a cozy little room.

I saw that room and it did look nice. I just wish they had a bathroom upstairs.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm in the Duluth/Lawrenceville area for the weekend. Any good eats I should check out? I don't really know the area.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Thirding Tasty China's awesomeness. I was introduced to it by a former employer who was friends with the owners and I work right down the road from it.

If you know what to ask for, the best things aren't on the menu. Unfortunately I've only had access to that when I've been there with other Chinese people...hmmm...

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

signalnoise posted:

If we're talking lower end on the price scale I really enjoy Taqueria Los Hermanos in Tucker for mexican.

I didn't know you were up in ATL. We should smoke together sometime since I'm still new to cigars and you are much more knowledgeable. :smug:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Finally checked out MacCracken's in Marietta and had a full Irish breakfast. loving delicious. They get their sausages from Patak, apparently. All of them were excellent and the black pudding in particular had a really nice spice flavor...clove, I think? The soda bread was perfect, too.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So now that Le Coz is finally gone (again), I've been looking for a good French spot, something romantic for a date. Anyone ever been to Violette's? http://violetterestaurant.com/

:sigh: I miss the french onion soup and skate wing at Le Coz, though...

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Does anyone know of a good butcher on the west/northwest side of town? Patak is of course awesome but their hours suck and I just can't get there during the week because of work. I'm looking for a real butcher where I can go and say "I want x cut" and he will get it for me. I do know of one in Woodstock but that's more than an hour away from me.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
poo poo, that's right around the corner from me and I didn't even know it was there. I don't go down that stretch of Atlanta Road much because there's not really anything important there...except for this guy. :v:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
My personal opinion is that if it is frozen, you're pretty much safe but that doesn't necessarily mean it is good quality stuff.

Nam Dae Mun market near me has some great fresh seafood I've had good results with. Specifically they have nice shrimp, live blue crabs, and live clams and mussels. I have not yet tried the live tilapia or catfish but they certainly look healthy in the tanks. I also have not yet tried any of the fresh fish, mostly because there are so many other people there that I don't feel like waiting in line. Maybe all those people are a good sign?

I've always been told that you should look for clear eyes in whole fish and a smell that is less fishy and more like the ocean. Excessive fishy smell is not good.

Some Atlanta stores as well as restaurants make trips down to the Gulf regularly to get fresh stuff. Ask them where their stuff is from; if they act shady about it that's not good, either.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Just tried Garrison's Broiler & Tap in Vinings last night. I had flat iron steak on bleu cheese and bacon risotto, and the wife had pan-seared salmon. Both were absolutely excellent. Drinks are on the expensive side but very well made...I got to try Knob Creek Rye for the first time and it made one hell of a Manhattan.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

nicad posted:

great sushi for the area. I've seen Alton Brown there a few times while eating

Oh snap I might have to go stalk him, haha.

Anyone been to Eleanor's? I'm intrigued by the idea and Muss & Turner's already has great food and drinks. I hear it can be crowded, though.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

signalnoise posted:

Whats the current state of good Atlanta sushi? Hachiguchi Jr closed, what's the next place to look at?

I forget which side of town you're on...Ru San's up on Barrett across from Town Center Mall is excellent, and they recently changed the menu to add a lot of awesome, new, non-sushi stuff, too.

Over in my hood in Cobb, there's Miyako on East-West Connector. I think Ru San's has a few locations elsewhere around town but supposedly the Barrett location is the best.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm new(er) to ATL so thank you all for this thread. I read another thread similar to this one and here is what they said:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Chinese? - Peter Changs Tasty China 2.
High end? - Bacchanalia, Empire State South, Abattoir.
Persian? - Rumi's Kitchen.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

I would add Canoe (https://www.canoeatl.com) to high end. Food, drinks, and service are all absolutely fantastic. Plus, they managed to survive the restaurant getting flooded and soldiered on. I recommend the she-crab soup and the rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Muss & Turner's also makes a pretty goddamn good burger, although I'll admit I haven't been to most of the other places mentioned yet. :sigh: