Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

So Ria Pell died tonight. Heart attack. That's pretty lovely, figured this thread would want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

York_M_Chan posted:

Now that I live ITP and not with my in-laws, would anyone be interested in doing a pot-luck dinner once a month? It wouldn't have to be a goon-only thing. We can't really afford to eat out so much but we can afford to make a dish and share with everyone.

Is this something you would be interested in? A once a month outdoor summer series... maybe with a food theme and location rotation?

I lurk this thread and don't ever really post but if there's interest I could be down for this.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Webbeh posted:

I like the way he thinks.

(I also live in walking distance to Serpas and KSM. So pumped.)

Dude, do I know you? I feel like I recognize your username and I'm also an Inman Park goon.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

What growler place do y'all like in town, like around Inman Park?? The place near rias on memorial is OK, but their selection of stouts wasn't that strong when I went.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Where is the best hot and sour soup in-town? I can't drive up to Buford Hwy for lunch, but I really want some great hot and sour soup for lunch today, if it's available with a few miles of downtown.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I work across the street from Fred's and would like to do this, but work buys our lunches on Fridays as a big group thing. :negative:

Consider another day and I'm in!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Do any of you have an in with a chef/cook/whatever at Superica? I'd love that posole recipe. Its so good.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Reminds me of that Top Chef episode where the owners were so confrontational and delusional and the restaurant in such disarray that even Gordon Ramsay thought they were too big assholes to work with.

fun fact, that basically happened at the spot where Victory is in Inman Park, when it was Park's Edge

http://www.kitchennightmaresblog.com/2012/06/us-season-5-parks-edge.html

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Coredump posted:

What are your thoughts on Zyka and Panahar since you mention Indian food?

panahar is bangladeshi, you swine! Also, Steinbeck's has always been exactly what I expected (decent pub food) when I went there

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Yeah, when I want ice cream, Morelli's on Moreland is pretty much where I go.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

deep breaths mate, we'll get through this

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

oops

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 19, 2016

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

yeah Jake Rothschild is a massive fuckhead. My first job was working at Jake's when I moved here, in the building where Jack's is now.

Lots of terrible poo poo, but bouncing paychecks more often than not and actually living in the same exact space they made all the ice cream were probably the worst I can remember offhand.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

I really don't know what the point of Rothschild's, uh, "empire" is. He quickly runs off every successful outsider who opens up shop in Irwin Street Market, and his own concepts run from "OK, I guess" (the ice cream) to "LOL terrible" (the overpriced kebob thing that lasted less than a year). Irwin Street Market, the building itself, is junky and strange. ISM would make a killing if someone with legit, non-scammy business sense was running the place.

He's just an idiot. It's important to remember that back when I worked there, I believe there were 5 seperate Jake's Ice Cream locations that were making a killing in traffic and profits. I have always wondered exactly what he did to run such a flourishing and profitable business into the ground so rapidly, but clearly he hasn't learned from it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I don't do an "reddit", sry m8

reply however is accurate

I'd love to know how he finances his projects / how leveraged he is, because jesus christ

I heard his wife was rich and bankrolls him or something? but that sounds wrong

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Bread & Butterfly had our fav mac and cheese from the cheese fest last week too

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

mindphlux posted:

oh my god

are you guy wong :siren: please say yes

Scoop, if true

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Hey yall, working in Midtown now near Atlantic Station, what's the good place for fancy asian soups around here? Stretches my lunch break a little too much driving to Dai Loi, would love something good closer.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

lavaca posted:

Are there any good bakeries or coffee shops near-ish the Fed? I'm going to be staying in Midtown for a few days and I need some ammunition in my neverending struggle to convince my girlfriend that lovely hotel breakfasts are a bad idea (her standards drop precipitously if it's "free"). I know about Empire State South but otherwise I'm only familiar with the Caribou Coffee that had a much shorter line than Flying Biscuit. Bonus points for a place open early on Sunday.

west egg & ria's are good but not really near midtown, you'd have to drive a little

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

venutolo posted:

Ramen at Wagaya?

Did this today it was good but nothing incredible. Do you have a fav item there?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

venutolo posted:

No. I'm not a big fan of Wagaya or anything. It was the only Asian soup kind of thing I could think of near Atlantic Station. Other people seem to like Wagaya more than I do.

Fair enough. It was very tasty, but $35 for a soup and a nigiri lunch special with two teas was more of the issue with me; the food was actually really good! Just more pricy than I like in a place I will probably go twice a week or more.

Maybe I'm just old now and that's the new normal everywhere. Oh well.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

First time eating at Kimball House in a couple hours. What are the things I'd be a fool to not try while I was there?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I don't mean to pile on the kimball house love or anything, but I'll just say I went about two weeks ago, ordered a chartreuse tonic (how can I not? chartreuse is maybe my favorite liquor, gin and tonic my favorite cocktail), and summarily declared it the best drink I had ever had in my life. I was pretty sober too, so I think I meant it.

they kill oysters too. but if I'm gonna complain, had lots of misses on food, and it's loving expensive. but I'm not gonna complain, just gimme another chartreuse tonic. and some oysters.

Yeah, I had that drink and two more:

quote:

chartreuse tonic
chartreuse, genepy, lime gin, malic acid, tonic

new tokyo
scotch, pear brandy, ginger, yuzu, lime

kimball house
gin, cocchi americano, french vermouth, orange bitters

Looking back now, I was kind of all over the place as far as cocktails go. They were all excellent!

A great time was had, we went through two dozen oysters between 3 people (our 4th won't eat em), and I got to try the kimchi stew and clam risotto, both of which were insanely good. Dropped an unfortunate amount of money, but I totally get the hype. Kimball House is the real deal, glad I finally made it.

Oh, and having to pay $10 to park across the street due to construction on the side streets around was pretty annoying too, but that's typical Decatur poo poo.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Oh, and I never reported back after asking about ramen places near midtown, but I made some rounds with coworkers on lunch and now we go to Wagaya about once a week for the spicy red tonkatsu. poo poo is amazing.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Anybody have Inman Park restaurant week plans? We usually go to Rathbun's Steak one of the nights, but they've decided to be super dicks this year...

1. Price tiers for the menus went from $15/$25/$35 last year for the event to $20/$30/$40; whatever, poo poo happens.
2. In addition to this, to get a steak option, they're charging an extra $15 on top of the $40. For a 6oz filet.
3. You could go to his other restaurant during the same event ($30 menu instead), and get the same filet for a $10 upcharge with a different setting.

Pretty stupid. That said, pretty cool overall the level of quality of the restaurants involved, pricing shenanigans aside.

http://www.inmanparkrestaurantweek.com/restaurants/rathbun%E2%80%99s/

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I can get on board with community q, but daddy d'z? better shut that mouth

Bad opinion alert

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I went to Dish Dive last night and it was pretty tasty, that's my story

Waiting for our table to clear thirty+ minutes after our res time was quite annoying though

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I've had two people in the past ~3 months tell me the burger they had at Fred's was the best of their lives. Not in Atlanta, in their lives, and these people are decently well traveled.

I don't get it though. It was a good but not amazing burg the one time I had it :shrug:

Seconding that Sweet Auburn Market Grindhouse is the best location I've been to. Only other one I tried was Decatur though.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I've got the third off work and stay up the street, I could be into that!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

We went last week and had a good time too

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Stalizard posted:

Our team name was "we make chili" and our chili was called "it's just chili". Scaling up the recipe to five gallons was harder than I thought, but I was proud enough of it at the end.

This year felt way less crowded to me than last year, but that may well be because I spent all my time drunk behind a booth instead of waiting in line and working my way through the crowd. Either way I give it 5/5, would get drunk at again

Ooh I think we know some of the same people, neat!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Wow yeah good luck. Those are both awesome places in the industry to work

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Spotted Kevin Gillespie eating right near us at Ticonderoga last night. Seemed to be in good spirits and healthy, so hopefully his recovery is going well.

Also the soft shelled crab there was so good holy fug.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

poop dood posted:

Next time you're at Krog come check out Watchman's, we opened on Tuesday and I've been very impressed with how together everything is. I was fully expecting to have to wait a couple weeks before telling people to come in and check it out but the Kimball House folks really know what they're doing. It's a nice place.

Plus we have the only Green Chartreuse machine on Earth, and shots from it are only six bucks on Happy Hour, so there's that.

Yeah I need to. One of my old friends kate works the bar there I think. Looking forward to it!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Yeah I heavily miss grandma's pie from o4w pie :(

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I'm worried about Gino's East. Excepting the righteous room, that whole block is cursed for food. I hope they make it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

kuskus posted:

Celebrating almost 1 year of being back in Atlanta. Enough time to see Ticonderoga Club's pipe burst, and make it to this weekend, when they're recovered and back to regular hours!

During the pandemic I became a beekeeper (on the side), I had 3 hives on 35 acres of restored prairie.

In 2 weeks I'm bringing that hive equipment down here. Looking to place 3 hives. 2, I think are going in a community garden in East Point.

The third, I would love to place in O4W, Inman Park, Freedom Park, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who wants to host one. All I'm offering is unlimited pollination of your plants, as well as half the honey! C'mon folks!

I'm in IP and would be so down for this!

And will absolutely love to go get some drinks at the Club with a new goon friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

prayer group posted:

Breaker Breaker is being opened by the Grindhouse team, who are apparently good dudes who treat their people well. Ran into the bar manager at Manny's a few weeks ago and she had nothing but good things to say. She seemed really stoked about the place so I'm eager to check it out. I don't know anything about Mrs. Alton Brown, that's the first I've heard about any of that. If you're coming to Halfway Crooks come see us at Little Bear across the street, I run the bar program.

always have a great time there! and we see fernando on walks past our house fairly often too