Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cryptoclastic posted:

Even though we're switching to weekly, I would still like to keep up with the daily goals too if you're wanting to do both. It helps keep me better paced.

Also, if he was channeling into the horse, like Moiraine but with saidin, wouldn't the horse still have been really tired when she went to heal it? And shouldn't we be still be spoilering this because we technically don't know that Rand is able to channel yet? Might it not ruin the whole "Rand is the Dragon" bit for people who haven't read the series yet?

She wasn't healing them, just removing their exhaustion. Which Rand had already done. Its a minor miracle Bela holds together as long as she does to be honest, they push her really loving hard in this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

One posted:

This got on my nerves big time. Everyone resists doing the thing that would make their lives easier. I guess it's partly explained by saying that people from the 2 rivers are stubborn but there's a difference between stubborn and self destructively contrarian.

Thats not exactly uncommon in reality though. It can take a lot for people, especially teenagers, to open up to someone they're still sort of afraid of. And once you lie once about the dreams, well then its worse because you have to deal with the dreams and them getting mad at you for lying about it. Much easier to pretend nothing is wrong and try to deal with it on your own or ignore it.

That describes how half the people I knew in High School and college dealt with things like poor grades, terrible relationships and sometimes severe illness. Trying to ignore it in the vain hope it'll go away is a terrible loving idea, but its a very compelling one for people in their teens/early twenties.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

One posted:

I'm definitely with you Danith. Perin is the one that gets me the most with regards to this stuff. His thing with the wolves seems to be the one with no downsides to it but his own personal baggage. He even seems to get over it only to regress and be worse than he was in the first book. I'm only on page 106 of the third book. I can understand Rands problems with his lot and matt has nothing good going for him that I can see, but Perin is just being a baby.

Perrin gets some good reasons for rejecting his power though in the form of the wolfbrother he met who has gone completely loving feral and in Elyas who is a man living life permanently on the run. Not to mention that his experiences are being colored by his little run in with the Whitecloaks where they kill some of his very first wolf-friends and show him how most people are going to react to someone who claims to talk to wolves. All of it feels like its pulling him away from everything he finds normal or comforting, and feeds into his greatest fear. He's a control freak because he's always been so much bigger and stronger than others, and he always feared losing control more than anything else. Now with the wolves he doesn't just have to fear losing control in a normal human sense, but actually losing his humanity.

Book 12 is all about him getting over it and realizing his fears are, to a large degree, exaggerated by his assumptions. Once he really faces and deals with them he gets to participate in two of the most awesome scenes in the series

I always liked and empathized with Perrin the most out of the Ta'veren.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

berenzen posted:

I'm surprised no one made the reference to the tales that are stated to be from "The Age before the Age of Legends" and how they are references to our Age.

Lenn, flying in the belly of an eagle full of fire- A reference to John Glenn, confirmed by RJ

His daughter, Salya, walking among the stars- A reference to Sally Ride, confirmed by RJ

Mosk the Giant, with his lance of fire that could reach around the world- Possibly a reference to Moscow

Elsbet, the Queen of All- Possibly a reference to Queen Elizabeth

Materese the Healer- possibly a reference to Mother Theresa

Mosk (Moscow) fought Merk (America) with the lances of fire.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

The bad art book is interesting in that it has a map of the Westlands after the trolloc wars but before the Consolidation. There's tons of little pissant nations scattered all over that are never ever mentioned in the main story. Then again it also has the Ten Nations clearly laid out as well. I always loved looking at those maps and comparing them to the 'current' layout of nations.

One of the really interesting things to not is how dead and separated the various nations and societies got over time. Back in Hawkwing's day there were a ton of nations jostling for room in the middle of the continent which has been turned into a sort of unsettled no man's land. There are huge swathes of what is now Andor especially that were abandoned and just never resettled.

I mean at one point Manetheran, the long stretch of land that now holds four villages of a few hundred people, rivaled Andor for size and population. The Westlands are in really, really heavy decline.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think I missed something.

In TDR prologue, why does Byar think Perrin is a darkfriend and betrayed them?

His eyes and the way he freaked out when the wolves died? Remember they think wolves are agents of the Dark One like rats, crows and the like. Plus he's kind of a hateful rear end in a top hat and twists his story because he really, really does not like that Perrin was able to escape.

The Children of the Light are not exactly what you would call tolerant or open-minded. The only reason they haven't burnt... everyone at the torch is largely because they lack the manpower.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Quad posted:

I felt like a very non-critical reader today, as characters showed up again Egeanin and Floran Gelb (not really a huge spoiler) that I literally had no idea who they were and had to check online. :(
Is this just gonna happen more and more as it goes on? I think I've only made it up to about book 7 or 8 ever, and that was when they came out, and I'm towards the end of book 4 now.

Minor characters coming back ramps up as the series goes on. Some are going to become important, others stay in the background and some will get POVs. Basically if they have a name, and it isn't the introduction, they're probably going to be a recurring character.

Note that this is several hundred people over the course of the series.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

werdnam posted:

Nope, Perrin is Lord He-Who-Does-Not-Appear-in-This-Book for The Fires of Heaven. I missed him a lot. He does reappear in Book 6.

All the ta'veren get one of those books. Perrin's is not nearly as bad as Mat's will be, or Rand's, mostly because he has a pretty legitimate reason for being off-screen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I don't think it's ever explicitly stated, but they did mention that they absolutely, positively could not get an Aes Sedai to tell a lie. And you can probably picture how hard they tried. I don't remember the exact details, but I think it was some Seanchan saying, "Huh, I'm pretty sure these Aes Sedai aren't lying about their Three Oaths."

Since I don't ever recall one actually using the Power as a weapon while collared, and it'd probably be mentioned if it they were able to get around one Oath but not another, I think they're next useless as weapons. But, the Seanchan do seem to use their slave labor demigods to full effect given the whole finding ores thing.

Remember too that Aes Sedai can use the power as a weapon 'in the last defense of her life, her Warders life or the life of another sister' so to use their collared Aes Sedai as weapons they just need to place them, or another one, in imminent danger. Hell they might get away with it by telling them if they don't attack they'll be killed depending on how the individual Aes Sedai interprets her oath.

And Aes Sedai can still do a lot of stuff in battle that isn't using the one power as a weapon like shields of air, healing, walls of earth/fire etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

What specifically is extreme, though? Aside from Far Madding and Ebou Dar. Most of it just seems to be "loving men/women, how do they work?" lack of understanding, which is rather the norm in the real world, plus a bit of a power differential in certain regards that's mostly just a gender-swap of beliefs and practices people have had during the course of history.

It's also worth noting that I highly doubt Jordan was writing Randland as some sort of Gor-style "this is how things ought to be done." It's a caricature that allows the author to examine certain things in a less subtle fashion than we usually see them, in this case distrust and anger between the sexes and the strife that results.

Plus the strife and discord is always portrayed as a bad thing. The male Aes Sedai going off by themselves to seal the Dark One drove them all insane and tainted the male half of the Source. The Aes Sedai branch that is always portrayed most negatively is the Reds, who near-universally hate men, and the few sympathetic ones are the ones who get over this prejudice. All the greatest ter'angreal and acts of the power we've seen have required both Saiden and Saidar like the well of Saiden at the Eye of the World Spoilers to book 9 or the Chodean Kal, the Cleansing of Saiden, the Bowl of the Winds etc.

I think Jordan was trying to get the point across that people have to overcome those divisions to accomplish the greatest things. The characters do behave in a exaggerated manner sometimes in regards to this, but ultimately that is always them acting in a way that is counterproductive to their goals. There are even a ton of non-power examples I should pull up, but I can't recall many of the specifics off the top of my head. The Defense of the Two Rivers, with Perrin and Verin/Alanna and Faile working together instead of at cross purposes is a good one. Once they all get on the same page and stop trying to fight each other they manage to cleanse the place of Trollocs pretty quickly.

• Locked thread