Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Golden Bee posted:

Captain Semya Ivanova is different from many pulp heroes. She’s not a greedy ex-con. She’s not a square-jawed South Seas captain, or a Broadway celeb solving capers that resemble their greatest hits. Doesn't use eastern martial arts to stand up to crooks and cloud the minds of men.  She has a cause, of course: international communism. But her methodology is all her own.

And we love her for it! I was sold right away just from that bit of her calling the Nazi factory foreman and demanding he drag his rear end into work. And a winning attitude like this:

quote:

The well-read Professor Callahan explained that the stolen jar could greatly expand a person’s chi. Luckily, chi was baloney and science governed the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Golden Bee posted:

Pailou Pileup!
The Whisperer in Duluth!

Paranoia pays off. That’s the lesson learned by Javid Kulfi, Afghan technician/photographer, and his pal Devika Velyapur (ex-cultist/child millionaire). Devika was still stressed out by the events of "Web Of The Spider Cult!", especially the part where she was put into a coma by a spider cult. So they were turning art dealer Sir Matthew’s townhouse into a fortress, much to his chagrin. (Devi had taken up semi-permanent residence ever since her mentor, Lord Simon, had moved in.)

The doorbell rang after dinner, with two new faces: formerly dead detective JP Diamond*... and a five-year-old whose name he did not know. He found her in the woods while working a case in Minnesota, and all his instincts said bad hoodoo. And for better or worse, Miss Velyapur was an expert in cults, magic, and as a 13-year-old girl, girls.

*JP Diamond has appeared once before in "The B-Team!". He met Devi very briefly in "Beignet, Done That", and is played by Florence’s old player. Because of the events of “Beignet”, he suffered from mild zombieism, which while “cured”, continues to have knock on effects.

It was evening, so there was little for the team to but secure the house more and go to bed. It was a good thing were paranoid: the next day, there was evidence of powerful mystical attack, a spell designed to snatch the five-year-old’s mind and lead her back to captivity.

The "fix the five-year-old" project was assigned to Devika, who called information. The right person for the job was "Dr. Dan", Manhattan’s premier child psychologist. And he was helpful, getting the girl to draw and write out her problems. The pictures contained odd blobs, chains of teeth, and other unsightly oddities. Javid consulted his knowledge of the occult and suggested Devi attack the psychic construct in the girl’s head! The ersatz exorcism had its intended effect… as much to Dr. Dan’s amazement the girl began to speak! Well, first scream, a lot, but after that, speak!

Her name was Aurora Coil. She wanted her mommy. Her dad was a wicked man who wanted to open her soul to demonic possession. This scared the hell out of the already-addled child millionaire. After some effort and cupcakes, Javid and detective Diamond coaxed Devika back to her normal, arrogant self. It was scary, to be sure, but she was an expert. They needed her! Devi agreed on the condition that Aurora not be allowed in her room.

It wasn’t hard to find the Cole residence. The decaying manner was in the woods near Duluth, a multilevel Victorian with its windows shuttered or barred. Infiltration was also easy, with JP pretending to be an encyclopedia salesman, and the other two sneaking in the back way. Despite locked doors and mystic wards, there was only one thing that could stop them: nerves. Fastidious Javid and cowardly Davika both screamed when they found the basement’s Sacrifice Chamber. It reeked of entrails and maggots. The screams eliminated the element of surprise.

But the narrow, corner-filled house worked against the cultists. JP hammered them with haymakers. Javid put bullets through eyebrows. Devika ran support with her dagger. JP took a .45 to the sternum… and sighed, knowing he’d have to sew up that suit.

Les Cole was another matter. The alienist commanded the house itself against our heroes: the windows bricking up, the furnace going full blast, the stairs inverting their nails.
Cole had a weakness, though. (Two if you consider lunacy to be a weakness.) His greatest powers required eye contact. Devika took the sheets from the master bedroom and hurled them on his head! Cole soon traded his mansion for a drawer in the morgue.

Detective JP scoured the now-normal grounds for clues. Old wedding records, framed photos, travel documents… It would take some doing, but he could now reunite Aurora and her mother. Javid told Devika to gather Aurora’s toys and clothes before they burned the mansion to the ground.

The rest was cleanup! Diamond found the cult’s New York member in a fleabag motel. It wasn’t hard for Javid to put the man’s ideas on the wall behind him. For her part, Devika was emboldened by the group’s success. She treated Aurora like a little sister. Games, new outfits, even a guided tour through Devi’s various globetrotting knickknacks. And after mother and daughter were reunited, Devi had one more call to make. Did Dr. Dan work with adult patients, ones who we were 13?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I always find it a little bit heartening to read stories of pulp heroes breaking up occult nonsense by doing what they do best.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Golden Bee posted:

Did Dr. Dan work with adult patients, ones who we were 13?

The way you talk about Devil in these write ups, I wasn't aware she was 13 for a looooong time. Like, well after my first appreciation post on the subject.

Golden Bee's experience running Web of the Spider Cult came up in the GM thread recently; originally the hook was a murdered acquaintance of the PCs. Bee's very simple adjustment of having the victim incapacitated instead of dead put a timer on the whole rest of the adventure, they needed to smash this cult and get the antivenin back Devika, pronto! Nail-biting stuff, I'm sure.

quote:

It wasn’t hard for Javid to put the man’s ideas on the wall behind him

Took me a couple readings to realize you didn't mean a conspiracy-nut corkboard with red string. Only part I got right was the red :drat:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I remember there was one time I was DMing Lost Mines of Phandelver (Return to Phandelver? I forget which is which) and the party had already cleared out some bandit lair, but for some reason they wanted to go back since there were some rooms they missed and they were insistent on returning and delaying the storyline just for some potential extra loot.

As it turned out, they were at a door when they overheard two hobgoblins talking behind the door. In short, they were supposed to be working for Glasstaff who in turn works for the BBEG the Black Spider. They already defeated/arrested Glasstaff and took his eponymous staff, so they had something to help them in a deception check to avoid combat.

Cue the one goofball member of the party barging in and loudly proclaiming he represented the will of the Glass Spider to let them through. Hobgoblins look at each other then look at the party.

"Roll initiative..."

Everyone in the party facepalms so hard while I'm cackling as the DM. Good times!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So I promised a post about this earlier but the post got a bit out of hand. Let me shorten it (lol) and punctuate it with the cliffhanger we ended on last week:

Some prior posts about this same 7th Sea campaign: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. None of those are necessary for understanding this story, but there they are in one place.

We the PCs are all in a secret society called Die Kreuzritter: ostensibly the pope's secret praetorian guard but actually in a secret war with secret aliens, in secret. :ssh: :ninja:

The cast:

Kristjana: A Vesten/Ussuran (Scandinavian/Russian) huntress and rune sorceress. Laconic and private, her closest friend a steppes horse. (My character)
Helgi: A Vesten whaler-turned-monster hunter. A soft-hearted gentile giant, rapidly becoming the party's moral core.
Viktoria: A Ussuran shapeshifting noblewoman. Betrothed Married to a Vesten Jarl, a bit of a romantic to Kristjana's hard-nosed naturalism.
Mandelos: An Aegean (Greek) demigod. A cocksure jock forever seeking opportunities for heroic escapades. An odd couple-type rival to Kristjana.
Evelien: A Vendel (Danish) polymath, an anthropologist by trade. Circumspect widow to a Vesten, dedicated to stemming the Vendel/Vesten conflict.

Our 7th Sea group is presently on an adventure ostensibly to help the Explorer's Society chart a constellation from a particular spot in the seas of Vesten. They have to do this in a particular place at a particular time, and doing so will give them more parity with the Montaigne in navigation. The Vendel ES employer in all of this says there may be a Montaigne ship sent to stop us for this reason.

My character threatens her from the jump and goes full sovereign citizen because the ES lady tells us that we are honor-bound to help her in this because we are responsible for the deaths of several of her comrades in a previous adventure. (We aren't, at least not directly.) My character is a hermit libertarian Viking who was also coerced into working for the hated Vendel, so she is understandably chafed at this. The more rational members of the party negotiate with the ES and talk my character out of beating her senseless, so off we go. Our idea is to use this mission to spy on the ES on behalf of our actual secret society, Die Kreuzritter. We go on this mission as the muscle to protect all these nerds from the Montaigne if they show up.

When we get to the spot, there is indeed a Montaigne ship on the horizon. And it is enormous. And there are three other ships: a Vodacce, a Castillian, and a Vendel. Every one of them outguns ours, and the Montaigne ship can outgun all of them at once. My character turns on our employer immediately, grabbing her by the collar and threatening to throw her overboard.

:black101: "What have you done to us? Why are there so many ships here? You have damned us all!"

The ES lady claims ignorance, that perhaps the other interests stole her intel, or the intel that led the Montaigne here. "This research is of utmost value," she says. Against my better judgment, my character does not throw her overboard.

We decide to attempt to parley with the Montaigne ship. As it turns out, they are already doing this with the other ships. The Montaigne captain is... an interesting person. Alissande, the captain, is telling every other ship that she has them all over a barrel but that she wants to hold some sort of competition to see who gets to stay for the research. We propose an obstacle course rather than a dueling tournament, because no one in our group has a Swordsman's Guild sanctioned school. She agrees to a compromise along these lines, and the carpenters of all the ships get to work building a course on a nearby island.

Meanwhile, we have some shenanigans. Mandelos, my character's frenemy, is held as a hostage on the Montaigne ship, but enjoys his time there with the beautiful first mate. My character also finds a friend while trying to act as a distraction for another PCs activities. Connecting with other people is a weird new experience for her, so she has a sort of "OMG are we friends?" moment and reverts to being a tittering teenager as she and her new pal play pranks on Mandelos all over the Montaigne ship. We start joking that we should win the competition and give the spoils to the Montaigne ship full of sexy pirates.

The more responsible members of our party start noticing some suspicious activities and discover that there is a saboteur somewhere. We find evidence of the use of Montaigne magic to spy on people and sabotage every ship, including the Montaigne ship. We start trying to investigate, but we're also trying to hide that we are investigating because we don't know who it is yet.

Mandelos, as more or less the Montaigne first mate's willing gigilo, attends several meals in the captain's quarters. There, with her officers, she hosts the officers of each of the other ships. Mandelos is 100% himbo so he has no idea what to do with any of this information, but he reports all of this to the party:
-The Castillian ship is full of Inquisitors, presumably here to prevent Thought CrimesTM.
-The Vodacce and Vendel are here for the same reason as the Explorer's Society, but more in conflict with each other than anyone else at the scene.
-The Montaigne don't actually care about the navigation research. Alissande and her crew are no longer being paid by l'Empereur (as his regime on the mainland is in the process of collapse), so she is shopping out her services as a privateer with a professional crew and a huge, state-of-the-art ship for hire.
-All of them, independent of one another, were fed intel of this place and time by...someone :ninja:

After a couple days of that, the obstacle course is complete. Each ship fields a few teams, and we do pretty well. The compromise with Alissande was to use the obstacle course to winnow the field for an eventual 2-on-2 dueling tournament. Her first mate, with the help of Mandelos' persuasions, is a high-ranking official in the Swordsman's Guild and has agreed to look the other way about any of us not being sanctioned. It's a kind of "international waters" type situation. We do well enough that all three of our two person teams qualify for the duels the next day.

But the very last obstacle course run is done by our Ussuran sorceress and her NPC partner. When she completes the run by lighting a torch at the end of the course, the torch explodes. We didn't catch the saboteur in time. Our sorceress is fine, and we start investigating who could have done this. Between the information we have about who could have tampered with the torch and the information we had form before, we start narrowing down suspects. Considering means, motive, and opportunity, we get things down to:
-Two Castillian carpenters
-One Vodacce carpenter
-Our own ship's carpenter

Some more intel comes in that rules out the Vodacce, but we keep him in detention to press him for information about the other three suspects. He helps us eliminate the Castillans. It was our own guy all along, and his motive is coercive. Someone put him up to it. We interrogate him for a third time and finally learn who gave him his orders.

It was the Explorer's Society lady all along. Our own employer. The one that I wanted to put over the side all along (albeit, for different, personal reasons). :argh:

We keep this close to the chest and two of us go ashore to where the Montaigne captain has all the crews camped for the competition and, now, for security during the investigation. Two PCs, Helgi and Viktoria, stay on our ship. Mandelos is still with the Montaigne first mate having a great time. But Evelien and Kristjana go ashore to find the ES lady. Kristjana is a bounty hunter by trade, so she is literally made for this. She tracks her quarry to the latrines built at the edge of the camp. They have wooden walls build around them. The tracks go in but not out, so I just...wait. All night. I pass a Resolve check to stave off sleep deprivation. Just before dawn, the ES lady comes out of the latrine like she didn't just spend five hours in the terlet.

Which, of course, she didn't. She isn't Vendel. She was Montaigne all along, but she has nothing to do with the Montaigne ship's crew. She's something else. Maybe an alien simulacrum of a human, or maybe just another secret society. Dunno.

"Feeling alright?" my character asks her. My character is bad at social interaction and isn't hiding her menace well at all. She is sitting astride her horse, looking down at the ES lady.

"Yes. It is just difficult to sleep in these circumstances," she replies. She's better a lying than my character, but that poo poo doesn't matter anymore. We've done our homework.

"Sure, sure. Sleeping in a latrine all night would be more like home for you, being Vendel," Kristjana says, being provocative on purpose.

"I beg your par--" The ES lady does not finish her reply. Kristjana reaches down grabs her by the collar, and hauls her bodily up onto the horse. She snarls, "Enough of this. I know you did it and the only reason I didn't kill you the second you walked out of that latrine is because I promised Evelien I would give her a chance to ask you why. Now," throwing her to the ground, "Walk."

I lead her back to Evelien's tent. I keep watch outside while Evelien interrogates her. At the end of this, the ES lady says:

"The Explorer's Society has proved useful, but they, and you, have outlived your use."

Then she teleports away. The portal's destination appears to be the gun deck of our ship.

Evelien alerts Kristjana, and they charge off toward our ship. We get on the magic "walkie-talkie" stones we have as Die Kreuzritter operatives to alert Helgi, Viktoria, and Mandelos.

What ensues is a combat in the sense that we rolled initiative and took turns in that order. But no one ever dealt any damage on any side. The spy spends the whole time teleporting around and trying to cause fires and explosions. We spend the entire combat trying to put out the fires, and chasing her around. Mandelos is a demigod and is leaping from ship to ship, as they are anchored side-to-side just offshore. He is also naked as a jaybird because he did not not stop to put his pants on. Unfortunately, the saboteur gets to our gun deck and fires a shot into the Montaigne ship before Mandelos catches up to her. He grapples her just before she teleports to an object she thinks is still hidden in the hold of the Montaigne ship but that we had thrown overboard during out investigation. Underwater suddenly, she teleports both of them again to yet another object, this time back on our ship. Evelien and Kristjana use some of the Montaigne navigator's own Porte magic to teleport to their ship from shore, leaving Kristjana's horse there. Helgi and Viktoria are rousing and now helping Mandelos chase the culprit around. She teleports to the Montaigne ship, to yet another item we had misplaced for her. This one isn't in the ocean, though, but isn't where she expects it to be. Mandelos catches up to her yet again just before she finally picks the right target and teleports back to her own quarters on our ship.

Not to be outdone, Kristjana sees Mandelos leaping from ship to ship repeatedly, so she does the same. What he does with the effortless grace of a demigod, she does like a bull in a China shop. But she gets it done. Both of them corner the culprit in her own quarters, just as she has set another fire in the hallway outside. We move to attack, but both of us gently caress up our rolls and she gets a turn unimpeded. She teleports away one more time, this time to an unknown place, presumably nowhere near any of the ships. She is getting away for good this time. I pass a check at the last second though and Kristjana sees what the saboteur is looking at before she leaves. She seems to consider staying to get something in the drawers of her desk, but decides its too dangerous. Kristjana quickly loots the room, focusing on the desk, while Mandelos runs to the top deck to report what has happened.

All this time, Evelien has been trying to get messages to and from other ships to keep them from shooting. Shots have been fired from our ship into the Montaigne ship, but we are in contact (and good terms) with that captain. It's the other ships we're worried about. The Castillian ship is moving around the other four, to "cross the T" and obtain a firing solution on us. Mandelos and Viktoria jump and fly, respectively, to the Vodacce and Vendel ships to tell them to stand down. All we have to worry about is the Castillans who might be looking for a pretext to sink a bunch of heathens and witches.

We quickly examine the items we got from the saboteur's quarters and find one item to be a focus for Porte, so we heave that overboard. Everything else is information, but there's no time to look at it now. Kristjana goes belowdecks to finish putting out the fires down there, and Helgi joins her. Helgi suggests that she go to the Montaigne ship and help do the same there, since the saboteur set fires over there. All the ships are shorthanded, since most of the crews are still coming aboard from the camp ashore.

I decide to do that, and that turns out to be extremely consequential.

We're still worried that the saboteur will return. We are aware of only two focus items left that she can teleport to: one that Kristjana gives to Helgi, and one we haven't found but we know is in our ship's gun deck. All the other ones have been found and thrown into the sea. With everyone else busy doing critical tasks keeping all the ships from shooting at each other, Helgi is down in our ship's gun deck by himself. He places the known focus item in one place and waits. He watches it like a hawk.

But he blows the perception check to notice a large bomb pushed through to the other, unknown focus. The GM asks him for initiative to try to beat the ticks left on the fuse.

Before Helgi can react, the bomb detonates.

The bomb is large enough to immediately deal 7k5 damage to Helgi. But it is also big enough to set off all of the ammunition on the gun deck. The ship's magazine goes off. This will deal him another 10k8, and probably 7k5 to everyone on the top deck. Then the ship will sink, rapidly. Kristjana will see this from the deck of the Montaigne ship, and Viktoria from the Vendel ship. Everyone else is aboard our ship.

But none of that has happened yet. The session ended at the bomb going off.

:ohdear:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

The Whisperer in Duluth!
The Palladium Peril! By Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams.

We open in Verona. Journalist Trudy Truman has an inkling of the story… a Greek artifact that was said to be lost to time. To help her get it, she teamed up with an all-new adventurer, Dr. Hemet Hazoul. He’s a genius with a doctorate in engineering and history… and has all the humility of a Hollywood publicist at award time. He had been "encouraged" by the rest of the staff of his Turkish university to go on permanent sabbatical, and submit his research via correspondence.
Rounding out the posse was Tacito Uriel Velasco, lawyer, boxer, and wielder of a Mexican panther spirit, and stuntwoman Lala Santinella. She and her adopted daughter Devika (millionaire, mystic, etc.) were visiting her homeland to work out a few glitches in their relationship. They brought a lawyer because of a little business that was… What’s the word? Elective? "Compulsory", corrected Tacito.

Trudy was contacted by a member of British Intelligence. He was being followed, so the best place to talk would be during a local performance of Macbeth. Someone must’ve said the play’s name outloud too much, though. All the agent could divulge was "Minerva, at the pantheon" before being shot. The killer timed it during the witches’ lightning, and despite the lawyer's best effort, the killer got away.

Hemet explained, with no degree of humility, the Pantheon was a famous structure in Rome. Lala went under protest, in disguise. She Wasn’t popular in Mussolini’s Italy after publicly leaving a Germany/Italy film collaboration. Unfortunately, that very same movie was shooting at the Pantheon! Lala’s old pal and rival, Elena Altieri, was starring in the movie Santinella turned down. The stunt woman tried to hide in her car, while Trudy used her gift for blathering to distract Director Leni Riefenstahl. The statue itself weighed hundreds of pounds, but with Hemet’s advice, the lawyer moved it aside and looked underneath. There was a gem and a scroll, which claimed a secret would be revealed at the sun’s zenith in the Flavian Auditorium. Wait, what did they call the building nowadays?
The Colosseum! The stadium was 30 minutes away and it was 11:40.

But the group was blessed to have an Italian leadfoot! The group rushed to the Colosseum with seconds to spare, barely noticing the new platforms and fresh sand. At noon, Hemet directed the sunlight onto a brick on the emperor’s box, burning up a Nazi flag…And springing the trap! Herr Strauss, a Nazi commander with delusions of grandeur, told our heroes the score. They could live with the knowledge they acquired… if they could beat him and his unit in gladiatorial combat. he presented a range of ancient weaponry… And the battle was on!
Trudy had always been blessed with a strong nose. Instead of immediately joining the fight, she observed her surroundings… and could smell a very unfamiliar scent. LIONS. The “fair” Nazi challenge was a deathtrap!

The professor was used to brawls and ancient weaponry. He held off the brown shirts… but the Lions had the opposite effect on him and Tacito that Trudy might’ve expected. Hemet had the world’s greatest ego. The lawyer had the instinct of a panther, and there was no way he’d surrender to another large cat. Lala, brimming with common sense, snuck off to open an escape hatch.

Tacito and Hemet kept the lion away from Trudy. After choking the beast unconscious, Tacito flung blood onto his opponents… Making them all the more appealing for the other Pantero Leos. Egos assuaged, Trudy led a retreat.

After fleeing, the group laid low at a much less historic venue… Their local library. The Palladium, the object of their search, prevented cities from falling. so there’s no way it was still in Rome. But some dusty tomes suggested it’d been moved to Constantinople!
It was an awkward homecoming for Professor Hazoul. His rival, Cleric Marduk, had charged him with violating the school's decorum code… By fighting animals in a world wonder.
But Hemet had an ace up his sleeve. It was his new friend, one of Earth’s greatest lawyers. Tacito emphasized that the lion fighting had been done in self-defense, and in pursuit of an archaeological treasure. This set Hemet up for some self-serving lies… and the honor committee was completely, 100% on board. The cleric shook his fist as the other panel members suggested that HH could teach ancient weaponry as an elective next semester.

Trudy got to the telegraph office to send in her story. Nazis digging up the Colosseum was front-page stuff. She had another contact in town, Stavros “The Bull” Papadopoulos, a merchant mastermind with an interest in antiquities. He agreed to meet her and her cohort at the Turkish baths. Suggested wardrobe: a towel. Papadopoulos, (when not interrupted by Hazoul), explained that the Palladium they saw it it was in a monastery 70 miles out of town. And completely coincidentally, he had a delivery truck headed in that direction. A spare ride at a reasonable price.
Trudy’s astounding senses paid off again… As she heard footsteps down the hallway. Assassins! The fez-wearing killers had the group at a disadvantage, but no sword can defeat the human mind.
Especially when that mind belongs to a dirty-fighting professor. He soaked one end of his towel in water, and set the other on fire.
The hashish-eaters caused problems, slashing Trudy’s arm badly, but the crew was clever. Braziers were used to set their foe’s robes on fire. Tacito held a goon’s head under the bath. Lala soaped the floor and smashed people in the face with water buckets. Soon, there was gap in the flow of hired killers.
The group rushed to the changing rooms, and from there to Papadopoulos’s cousins’s truck. Kristos let Lala drive, but the cabin was cramped. A few people would have to ride in the back.
Devika, feeling useless, gave Trudy one of the many crates. Trudy, playing along, opened it up, asking what it was. Devika read the label. "Nitrog…nitro gly…"
"Nitroglycerin."

Yep, Kristos was hauling enough explosive fluid to send the truck into orbit. Not a problem, until a Nazi half-track came around the bend.
The party had very little in terms of ranged combat skill. They did have a maniac behind the wheel, when the Ahnenerbe machine gun opened up, Lala hit the gas like she was driving a Ferrari. And although they needed to cover miles and miles of ground, and couldn’t dodge bullets forever, the group had a mechanical genius on board. And his idea was rebellious. It was dangerous. And it was perfect.
They had a truck bed full of explosives? Why not just detach the truck bed?
Instead of throwing crates one at a time, they unleashed a huge trail of explosive ordinance.

Far behind, a commandant demanded his troops check what was in these mysterious crates… And then proceeded, very slowly, to remove them. By the time the nitro was safely disposed of, the players had gotten away.

The monastery was a bust. But it could’ve been much deadlier if the group didn’t travel with a design historian. Trudy detected a trap, and Hemet was able to keep the hidden wall blades recessed. Tacito and Hemet examined the corpses of less-careful Crusader tomb robbers… skeletons who had coins from 14th-century Vienna. Could Austria be the place?!

It turns out it was. And after an ambush in Europe’s second-largest graveyard, the group found a gigantic statue of the Pallas Athena!
While the antiquarians examined the device, Devika and Lala had some one on one time. Devi was concerned that Lala had gone off the deep end after the failed wedding and Devi’s time in a coma. Lala admitted that things had gotten drastic, but moms were allowed to get a little crazy. Just the way things go.

The group hurried. Austria wasn’t a Nazi state yet, but brown-shirts had free reign there. The statue opened a nearby fountain, which led to a cavern containing the Palladium, and a weird electrical grid pattern. Lala was about to unplug it… When Professor HH had a better idea.

The group rewired the trap. The fascists might have outnumbered our heroes, but hatred can do very little against electricity. Herr Strauss’s dueling saber was nothing more than a lightning rod. Lala, Tacito and Hemet mopped up the rest. The only thing left to do: figure out where to move the statue! Trudy was loyal to the British crown. Tacito argued that they should honor the sacrifice of the agent who told them about the thing in the first place. Hemet was fine with any option as long as he got to write the archaeological report. The Palladium was stored securely in the tower of London.

Postscript: in 1938, Austria was invaded. In 1940, London was not. Was the statue to blame? You never know…

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 8, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

I recommend this adventure, as long as the GM is willing to take out the scissors. The adventure starts in England, so it’s four countries long.
Here are the things I cut in the adventure to make it run swiftly in four hours:
*An NPC professor who explains everything the players find.
*A double-decker bus chase, to catch thugs who don’t really know what’s going on.
*A trip to Oxford, to search a townhouse, which involves a fight scene the villain has to escape from.
*A lead to a fencing Academy, where you fight the Nazi again, as well as his students. (He can lose here but they suggest you use the savage world rules to let him escape one more time, so he can die in the Colosseum.)
*A chase to taxi onto a Douglas C32 cargo plane. (The players can’t fail this.)

Instead of a movie set, at the Pantheon, players will find local toughs, who will then chase them on mopeds. The players also can’t fail the chase, but you’re not supposed to tell them that.

The Colosseum fight I kept, but the players are supposed to win it and then more Nazis show up with guns… So that players are forced to surrender and enter an underground death trap. It’s a cool death trap, but it was extremely hard to force my players to fight and then lose instead of just trying to run away from the trap. They are suggestions for if the players failed the death trap (they take a ton of damage, nearly drowning). Whatever happens, they find a jar that explains emperor Constantine took the palladium to "his city."

The cool Turkish bath fight is followed by a brawl in the bazaar, which feels downright redundant.

The ancient trap is interesting, but if the players get sealed inside the tomb, Stovro’s cousin is supposed to rescue them…and then they get ambushed by Nazis anyway. In my write up, I cut out an interesting side character, Beni Hassan, a coughing, disgusting assist to Stavros who betrays the gang to the Nazis.
After the tomb is another fight with the Nazis, which the colonel escapes from, with plot armor. Then in Vienna, you’re supposed to fight again in the graveyard, figure out the statue fountain, and then fight an additional time.

In Conclusion: It’s like an ice cream sundae covered in melted marshmallows and candy bars. A lot of goodness, spoiled by having too much of it. I plan to run more Paul Wade adventures but the general pattern is too much incident, with very little flexibility for players doing unexpected things.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, there is no such spell as Summon Candleja

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

I've seen various supplements for researching your own spells in-game if you want to fix that, I think it's in an MCDM book

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My players solved a problem of a three way fight between themselves, automated turrets with no friend or foe/minefields, and zombies by simply battering zombies into being dazed then having their strongest PCs caber toss them over a fence to run the turrets out of ammo shredding the confused zombies.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CobiWann posted:

Well, yeah, you don't need a spell for him to show up, you just have to say candleja

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Have you considered the formulary alternative, Summon Candiru?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

The Flower Of Death!
If you’re getting too much exposition, the worst thing to do is roll a legendary+ on an investigate.
That was the case for our adventurers this week. The Boston Museum of Fine Art had lost touch with one of their archaeologists in the deserts northwest of the Punjab province. On the case were undead detective JP Diamond, Soviet explorer Semya Ivanova, gambling prodigy Penny An’Te, and cowgirl-novelist Querida Wilcox.

The group stayed on task, so I’ll stick to the highlights and skip the procedural elements.
Querida wanted to move some novels, and demanded her publicist set up a reading in Lahore. It was attended by a bunch of British officers and no one else… So in a quest to be a woman of the people, Wilcox put out her cardboard standee at a table in the village bazaar. Her main achievement: almost getting pickpocketed.

The players traveled overland to the archaeological site. The land was plagued by bandits, but the group was hard boiled. Ivanova made short work of tough guys. At one point, she threatened a gang of Nazis by saying “If you don’t put down your gun, your family will get a flag.”The group ran into the incorrigible Professor Callahan at the archaeological dig^, and he was eager to help the Captain spread fear. When a murderous Bedouin started getting lippy, Semya dangled him over a canyon. Callahan grabbed his legs for leverage. “How would you like a very fast tour of your country?”

Querida was handy to have around. When an assassin tried to slide a snake into her tent… She tied it into a knot and threw it back! And Penny’s pistol skills were essential. She and her purse-heater blew away a whole swarm of ambushers. It evoked her similar stunt in Baltimore, during the mission to save Dr. Enigma. Penny was a lifeguard and a lifetaker.

Eventually, the players found the secret at the center of the deadly desert...a bizzare statue? An expert in mad science, Callahan explained its purpose. The “Flower of Death” was a drilling machine, sent up from below the surface of the Earth! In the end, the bandits were dispersed, the museum was mollified, and Nazi archaeologists were put in the ground. Still growing, however, were sparks between the coldhearted Russian explorer and the undead PI. Was it professional respect between two superlative surveyors? Or something more?

^AKA the player joined in, two hours into the game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

It took me a second to realize you weren't using the Final Fantasy spell naming convention.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm not into Warhammer, but apparently Games Workshop released or stated that there was some unit or faction that has ladies in it where previously it was assumed they did not, and needless to say, there is a veritable forest of catpiss to be seen from people who are very angry that women can also be grimdark.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Having seen the first couple pages of replies to the tweet ("...[T]here have always been female Custodians."), I would describe it as more of a deep and turbulent sea of cat piss filled with writhing, incredibly mad assholes.

edit, a sampling of the piss, skipping the ones with wild slurs
edit 2: thrown behind spoilers per feedback

Four pages of debit charges and Games Workshop receipts attached to the tweet posted:

I've been a GW customer for over 30 years. This is the kind of money I spend on GW products. Whether it's at my FLGS, online stores, the GW webstore, or other sources. I collect over a dozen 40K armies totaling approximately 50,000 points, one of which is over 4,000 points of Adeptus Custodes. I have multiple Blood Bowl teams and Necromunda gangs. I'm currently building a Bretonnia army for The Old World, and I was about to start collecting Orcs & Goblins and Tomb Kings. I have over 100 Black Library novels. And I'm subscribed to Warhammer+.

I went ahead and cancelled my Warhammer+ subscription and I'm going to pause my spending on Warhammer products for the time being and take some time to reevaluate how much, if anything, I want to spend in the future. If you're not going to respect the time and effort that people put into the setting and learning about the world you've built, if you're not going to support the customers who've helped build your company for decades, then I don't see a reason to put any effort into supporting GW in return.

>:-( posted:

I'll just walk away. You aren't going to replace the income lost making the 100 women who care happy.

give me PROOF posted:

Show me in the previous Codices where it says that.

I won't stop playing but I WILL start stealing posted:

I am a female player. I have Ultramarines, Orcs, chaos marines and I collect various minis that I enjoy, like Grimaldus.

From now on, I will be 3D printing. I will pirate your books and share them with all of my friends for free. This pandering is insulting and condescending.

??? posted:

*black void of space, nothing living exists*

"aCkShUaLIY tHeRe Have Always BeEn FeMaLe AsTeRoldS"

Bro what

a wild bigot appears! posted:

Have fun ending up like Star Wars! Get ready for pridehammer 40,000 guys, where the diverseperium of they/them fight the evil biggoted forces of the cis white male

woke WoKe wOKE posted:

Nonsense. You're pandering to woke trash. Bud Light tried something similar, it didn't end well.

Rule 1: I play to escape from females in reality posted:

I'm not buying anything else. You made a cool universe. Stick to the rules of it or it ruins it. I play Warhammer and I read Warhammer because it's fun escapism not because I want to engage in contemporary politics.

I was totally going to play really really soon, but posted:

Woke liars. I've been reading some lore and thinking about getting into Warhammer, maybe I won't now.

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 16, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lord Awkward posted:

Having seen the first couple pages of replies to the tweet ("...[T]here have always been female Custodians."), I would describe it as more of a deep and turbulent sea of cat piss filled with writhing, incredibly mad assholes.

I went with forest because I would not have forgiven myself if I didn't go for the Whizzard reference.

Some dipshit named Mark Kern or something like that seems to be leading the charge, if you really want to just hop into a black hole of catpiss with a heaping side of grift.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

the_steve posted:

I went with forest because I would not have forgiven myself if I didn't go for the Whizzard reference.

Fair!

quote:

Some dipshit named Mark Kern or something like that seems to be leading the charge, if you really want to just hop into a black hole of catpiss with a heaping side of grift.

Pass, lmao, what I saw was bad enough

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Lord Awkward posted:

i gotta be honest this sucks to read and i wouldn't wanna share it with anybody

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ominous Jazz posted:

Yeah, on top of feeling like it's the wrong thread for this, "hey here's a bunch of lovely people saying lovely things that you would otherwise have to go out of your way to find, let me shove it at you" is a lovely thing to do

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ominous Jazz posted:

I agree, I have no interest in reading about what a bunch of broke-brained men I wouldn't cross the street to piss on if they were on fire have to think about female representation. I don't think it's worth including. Maybe later I can edit this post to add in my story of how my recent campaign crashed and burned after just four sessions, and I didn't mind.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe later I can edit this post to add in my story of how my recent campaign crashed and burned after just four sessions, and I didn't mind.
:justpost:
This is the kind of thing I want to read here. What kind of madness transpired?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

This is fair. I thought this thread had replaced the old good/bad/catpiss experiences thread, but also looking at the OP that was like twelve years ago and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.
Thrown behind spoilers for now, and if you all want it deleted instead I'll do that.

Maybe later I can edit this post to add in my story of how my recent campaign crashed and burned after just four sessions, and I didn't mind.

Please do.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lord Awkward posted:

This is fair. I thought this thread had replaced the old good/bad/catpiss experiences thread, but also looking at the OP that was like twelve years ago and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.
Thrown behind spoilers for now, and if you all want it deleted instead I'll do that.

It did, but one of the reasons it was rebooted and reformatted was to avoid becoming yet another grogs.txt incarnation. It's not an irrelevant topic IMO but there's so little variation in how people like that suck that any individual thing they say is unlikely to be interesting enough to be worth the sour taste in the mouth from even scrolling past it.

I think spoilering it is reasonable, personally.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I do agree that this thread needs more catpiss stories in general, but... y'know, stories that people actually experienced and not just reposting heinous takes from chuds on Reddit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Also this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Golden Bee posted:

The Flower Of Death!
If you’re getting too much exposition, the worst thing to do is roll a legendary+ on an investigate.

Yeah, having a high exposition-tagged skill in Fate is like having a high Encyclopedia in Disco Elysium. The GM will tell you so many things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Only two players arrived for the PARANOIA game so I ran a high programmer game on freeform.
:agesilaus: playing a HP so dedicated to sloth he has an autonomous dinner table to feed him with robot hands.
:pervert: playing a HP dedicated to his sexual perversion so much that his secret plan is to turn the entire Alpha Complex population female. Himself excepted.

:rolldice: Crisis! There's a riot at one of the cloning facilities.
:pervert: I'll go there myself and do a rockstar entrance!
:agesilaus: I'll follow in my armoured litter carried by four robots like a demented Roman emperor, oh and I am sitting in a bath inside the litter.
:rolldice: with a robot arm feeding you grapes while you're lounging in your bath.
You are fairly certain you saw a confused face looking at you and then at a syringe trying to decide if the crazy procession was a product of whatever is in said syringe.

:rolldice: you arrive at the cloning facility. as far as the civilians in attendance know an insane road crew spent half an hour building riggings and you have just now been lowered by a crane with all the pyrotechnics and loud noise (some in the crowd lost their hearing) that would accompany a fever dream rock and roll nightmare.
:pervert: I string a chord on my electric guitar before demanding someone approach and tell me what's been going on.
:agesilaus: I stay back in my litter.
:rolldice: after some struggle within the crowd some poor orange level clerk is pushed forward: "the plan was to clone an incredibly venomous and dangerous lifeform! So we drowned the manager in a cloning vat"
:agesilaus: I send a robot to collect the remains in a container.
:rolldice: The robot does that but since it was not built for that work the remains separated to pieces.
:pervert: I declare that the workers here must select some among them to now eat the remains!
:rolldice: like a Roman legion's Decimation.
Do the both of you watch?
:agesilaus: no.
:rolldice: and so while strum on the guitar (not unlike Nero is often claimed at the burning of Rome) and talk to a news reporter of some type about how everything is great, you can hear the commotion as the mob is fighting with itself to find the poor citizens who'll be forced to eat a soggy corpse.

And that's where the session ended.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 18, 2024