Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

As the player, getting out of impossible Catch-22s.

My favorite memories are of players fast-talking. I remember being able to convince some Vulture Squad goons that I was totally justified in turning off something I (and not them) knew would explode despite being ordered to turn it on with the justification that Friend Computer had obviously given me mechanical skills for a reason, like being able to diagnose and disarm malfunctioning equipment which could damage Alpha Complex.

The best I've ever seen is after the People's Glorious Revolution (or whatever it's called) when Friend Computer knocks some clones out, wipes their memories, and sets them up in an alternate Alpha Complex under "Comrade Computer" so it can try to figure out what's so great about Communism anyways. At the end, all the (remaining) clones have their memories restored and are asked how they feel about acting all Communist and totally not in favor of "Friend" Computer. Most people lost a clone after their explanations. One guy had all of his clones taken away (he'd said he was totally for his actions). But the last guy, the new guy, talked rapidly for about a minute and a half. I'm not entirely sure he stopped for breath the entire time he was speaking. But at the end, no one in the room, players or GM, could find a hole to poke in his explanation. He got a promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

GruntyThrst posted:

Also it's really really hard to just straight up destroy planets. You'd need a pretty good sized asteroid, even moving at relativistic speeds. Although I don't know how SW hyperspeed works, if it actually moves you FTL as opposed to say, Star Trek spatial warping than yeah that's get easier real quickly.

The Death Star just shoots a superlaser at it.

The thing about hyperspace ramming is that it doesn't have to straight-up destroy the planet like the Death Star does. It just has to make the planet uninhabitable. Even with all the super-science in the setting, dudes still freeze to death in snowstorms and large-scale moisture farms are necessary in some deserts (or desert planets).

So spontaneously introducing a previously hyperspaced shuttle to Endor's forest moon could very easily create a mass-extinction level catastrophe with all of the firestorm goodness that large meteorite strikes entail. The Chicxulub crater (roughly 180 km in diameter) off the Yucatan (and part of the Yucatan) was only made by something about 10km in diameter. Now, none of the Star Wars ships are that big, but you could very easily say that one is going fast enough in hyperspace to balance out the F=MA equation.

So yeah. Seems like it'd work in a make-believe space elf game. Also, I'm in the MAD camp for why this isn't done.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Heliotrope posted:

I'm still reeling from the fact that he just admitted this to his character's mother, and have her end the conversation by asking him to quit and do something safer.

It would've been awesome if his mother had been awesome at keeping secrets and came up with a different reason why he wasn't at Thanksgiving that year or supported him when he told family members that the scar on his cheek from the electric-zombie-octopus (electrizomboctopod?) was just a hickey from his ex. And every time he called and told her about the latest adventure, she ended by asking him to stay safe and maybe look into transferring jobs.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

'Hey hero,' the Orc Wizard says. 'Wanna try some Snow Crash?'

:golfclap:

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I first played Magic the Gathering back in '94 or '95. After being roundly stomped by a friend, I didn't touch it again until 1998 when I was at the BSA national jamboree and one of the guys there made me a deck to use during the week and change we were there. I was again roundly stomped. Flash forward to 2005 when one of my college roommates brought along a big box o' MtG cards that he got for free because all the cards were too old to still be legal. We made decks based on what we thought were fun ideas. I got stomped more often than not.

Now my girlfriend, who was apparently a DCI qualified judge back in the day, has gotten me into Magic. I play against her and her roommates, both of whom are into Magic. I went to my cousin's comic book store for Friday Night Magic and met some nice people, and one of them gave me a stack of cards because I was just starting out and he had too many from the current set to use them all. I still get stomped occasionally, but I learned the (or at least my) secret to really enjoying a game of Magic. Play for the socializing. I don't know if I got super lucky or what, but I have yet to meet any of the stereotypical Magic players that smell like Cheetos and failure and who base their worth off their win/loss record.

Moral of the story: I'm enjoying playing Magic the Gathering and that's notable for me.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Lipizzaner Motorcycles?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
A good friend of mine runs the store where I play Magic. Since I only recently started playing, I hadn't heard any of the gossip about the players, and my friend took this opportunity to relate the following story to me as I picked up a box of boosters:

"Yeah, the Magic judge, <Judge>, he kinda grates on my nerves. Like, he's always loud and noticeable, even when he's only addressing the person next to him and not the whole group. I think it's almost subconscious now.

"Funny thing happened a while ago along that line. Judge brought his fiancee to Friday Night Magic. Nothing much really happened until she leaned over to the guy next to her, showed him a card, and said, 'How does this work?' Judge lost his mind at that point, started shouting, 'Why did you ask him? Why didn't you ask me? That guy doesn't know anything!' She turned around and said, 'Because he doesn't make me feel like a dumbass for not knowing!'

"They took it outside for a while at that point and everyone went back to playing. Then Judge walks in and loudly announces, 'Well, no sex for her tonight!'

I don't know if it was a "you had to be there" story, but I was laughing my butt off.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You'd think so, but according to LucasArts there is no homosexuality in Star Wars.

What, like how there was :airquote:no prostitution:airquote: in Soviet Russia?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
A few months after we started playing Pathfinder with our friends, my fiancee (this is her first game) and I finally broke down and got our own damned copies of the Core and Advanced Player books. Yay Christmas money! My fiancee has been keeping up in the game, mainly having a blast playing a gnome cleric, going WoW-priest (her main RPG experience) all over the place and occasionally flinging a magic mace at baddies. She's been struggling a bit with how the various bits link in together what with BAB, strength, Dex (but only if you have finesse with certain weapons), leveling, just what feats are, etc. When we got the books, she cracked them open and started looking at prestige classes, feats, base classes, and trying to link them all together. I spent probably five minutes explaining how the base attack progression worked, especially when you went to a different class.

Here's the weird thing. I can see all of this stuff meshing behind her eyes. She's getting it, and not only much faster than I did but better too. I forgot when the books arrived that she is very good at rules memorization and can plan things out well in advance. Then I remembered that I'm working on a Dresden Files game and she's been asking questions about how those rules and characters work.

I may have unleashed a monster on our gaming circle and I couldn't be happier.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

AceClown posted:

I would just change it up slightly, a good opressed slave race is a good staple in any RPG so why not still have the slave race but have them doing lots of things like working in the gold mines and farms and such.

Alternatively, don't make them be just orcs. If the one society is cool with slavery, it makes sense they'd enslave others too.

Basically, the catpiss content comes down ultimately to how okay your group members are with this. If any of them are not totally on board with the idea, you may not be cat piss but you're definitely pissing into the litter box.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Captain McStabbin posted:

How the hell did he smell you in a burning building?

By smelling out which bits weren't on fire?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Played my first game of Gamma World the other night. In spite of none of us (including the GM) knowing how the hell the system worked, we had a blast.

We had a surfer-breakdancer-sergeant... guy (?) who attacked people with dance moves and served one of them so hard that the bad guy drowned in a nearby vat. We had a mad scientist type who cloned himself and drew some kind of power that let him explode. But don't worry, he'd be back when he "got better". There was cat shadow-rogue thing that went for a ride in the luggage of the breakdancer's skybike and would not stop making Schrodinger jokes. And there was a hawk/fire thing that kept becoming more and more on fire.

We blew up parts of the Space Needle after the mad scientist had wired the elevator to work off of a potato battery, defeated a plant monster, defeated a Balrog-looking thing by shoving it down the elevator shaft, and the breakdancer finished the adventure by serving a satellite dish so hard that it fell off the roof, thus stopping some signal from going somewhere and doing something.

Needless to say, I can't wait for the next game!

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll never understand the thought processes of the kinds of people who stomp someone they're teaching a game to.

It's the mentality of "grow or die". Some people, like one of my coworkers, are the kinds of people that see a game like Dwarf Fortress which says, "This game is so complex and involved, you'll feel like an idiot for the first forty games" and respond with "We'll see about that". Some people are like me and see a game that says that and respond with "I have better things to do with my time".

Different teaching methods, really. For some folks it's a great spur. For others it's just a middle finger. The trick is figuring out when to use what method.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Grey Hunter posted:

The old "I'm going to buy a little farm of my own" cliche is a modern one, for most of history a farmer is the lowest rung on the social ladder - Now, someone who owns 20 tenant farmers, thats an aim in life.

Actually most of the reason that the Vikings invaded England was for farmland (the other reason being lots of silver and gold). Viking crews usually retired around 35 or 40, which was usually about 20 years into their raping/pillaging/looting careers and about the time they were slowing down due to age. Nothing wrong with farming at that point, but that's the entire thing. It's at that point they became farmers. How many people here have had games cover twenty in-game years? I think my longest is about three, and most of that's because we were waiting for armor/weapons to be enchanted.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Victorkm posted:

We heard spiders approaching from all around and were surrounded by dry brush and spider web. My War Cleric, who I am playing with a lot of inspiration from professional wrestling, cut a promo calling out the spiders using a thaumaturgy cantrip to make his voice 3x as loud and then our party monk decided it was a grand idea to light the webs on fire. Then we fought several ettercaps and giant spiders. My dude body slammed an ettercap then used spiritual weapon to have a glowy floaty spiritual me dropkick a spider while my guy grappled him so I wouldn't be disadvantaged from all the smoke.

Something about fighting spiders and setting fires, it just always seems to happen. Usually at my hands, now that I think about it. I always look at the webs and think "Huh, those could slow us down. Well I can take care of that." And then we're fighting pissed off spiders in a smoky, dimly lit corridor.

And I just remembered the first time I saw the creative use of a spell. Our party's wizard had jumped into a minecart which turned out to not have brakes. The monk that had followed him in was able to tumble out safely, but the wizard was way more fragile. So, seeing that the cart was about to go sailing off the rails into a pit, he did the only sensible thing. He curled up into a ball on the bottom and cast Web on himself, creating an emergency seatbelt. Quite why he didn't web up the rails is beyond me, but hey, he survived!

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I interviewed with a group from meetup

I'm sorry, but I'm really having a hard time ditching the mental image of you putting on a suit, putting a gaming resume and a couple character sheets in a folder, and sitting down across the table from a trio of nerds. What exactly happens in a gaming interview? I only ask because literally all of my games where I've joined or been joined by new people have involved something along the lines of "Oh, hey friend, you wanna play D&D?"

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I've been running a game just for parents. Basically half of our friends are pretty certain they'll never have kids and the other half either already have them, are pregnant, or are actively trying. Ever since my wife hit her second trimester last year, gaming dropped right off our radar and now that our kid is six months old, I realized even the invitations have dropped off. Checked with our friends who have kids, and they say it's the same for them too. So about once a month we've gotten together at someone's house for D&D and kid-wrangling. There's food, there are soft drinks (a shocking amount of coffee), the occasional tantrum or dirty diaper (sometimes from the kids!), and we slowly make our way through a campaign. I figure it's a good excuse to get together with adults who at least understand the whole "kids take priority but I still want to have fun" thing.

Any other parents do this or are we weird for it?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Razorwired posted:

Any murderhobo infestation can be cleared by the proper application of falling rocks

And for those of you who don't know, here's the origin of the phrase: http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05032002.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Hey, I never heard that phrase for *years* after that comic came out. Then some number of years ago (five? I was drinking a lot back then) I started hearing it. Made a QED to me at least.