Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Shadowrun. Shadowrun never changes.

Our runners were based in Seattle. We received a job that, as part of it, required us to drive a freight truck from Point A to Point B. But both points are in Boston, which, in Shadowrun, is essentially in an entirely different country with its own police force/government. We got into Boston illegally with forged papers and it all went downhill from there.

The driving part seemed like such a secondary aspect of the job that we didn't put much thought into it. Collectively as a group we're like "Who wants to drive?" and our big troll street samurai "Jack" pipes up, "I'll drive."

So we're cruising through some Boston neighborhood in our big truck loaded up with soda, Jack's driving, I'm in shotgun, we've got some guys in the back, and a rigger in his own vehicle pulling up the rear.

Cue gangers. Some guy on a bike pulls up beside us and shoots out a tire. "Roll your Drive skill," says the GM.

[Game System note: In Shadowrun, your skill is a number that determines how many D6 you get to roll against a specific target number. Most skills range from 1-6, plus you can usually augment your roll with extra dice from various dice pools once per round, but you can usually only add up to a total of your skill. So if you had a 4 in Drive, you could roll 4 dice plus 4 from your Combat Pool and have a really good chance to succeed at whatever task you might need to perform. Most target numbers start around 4, plus or minus modifiers for added difficulty.]

Jack's player's eyes go wide and he looks down at his sheet for a moment, then solemnly grabs two dice.

"You have a Drive of 2?!" cries the rest of the group.

"No, I get 1 from my combat pool."

He rolls his two dice... snake-eyes. And in Shadowrun a result of all ones basically means a catastrophic failure.

So basically we ended up jack-knifing a semi in the middle of an intersection, taking out several pedestrians and the ganger that originally shot out the tire in the process. More gangers pull up, and Jack proceeds to fire his huge assault rifle out the window at them, full-auto, mowing down any other innocent bystanders who happened to avoid the truck hurtling down the street.

Fire-fight commenced but the damage was done. Our rigger picked up that police were on their way and we basically fled into the neighborhood, leaving the truck and everything else behind. Then it was just a series of unfortunate events even trying to get back to Seattle. I vaguely remember jumping out of the third story window of a brothel, getting shot at with laser weapons by military personnel wearing power armor, and "escaping" into the sewers. And we didn't even get paid because we messed everything up.

Moral of the story: Stay out of Boston.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I was running a Call of Cthulhu D20 game a few years ago during modern times and the group had heard about a car accident where the drivers of one vehicle fled the scene. The reasoning was quite clear: when the car wrecked, dead decayed bodies spilled out of the vehicle. Apparently these cultists were digging up graves and transporting the bodies somewhere.

The group eventually tracks them down to some creepy old house in a bad part of town and after exploring the house make their way out back to what appears to be a mausoleum. They pick the padlock on the gate and go down a bunch of steps inside, only to be greeted with a bunch of cultists performing some ritual with people staked up on the walls, some big pit with weird sounds coming from it, troughs engraved in the ground for blood to flow into the pit, the works.

There's also a Worm That Walks, which is essentially a dead wizard that's now basically just a huge bipedal mass of worms and vermin. The Worm That Walks blocks their path into the room while the cultists try to finish the ritual. It's a tight corridor so there's just one guy getting basically engulfed slowly by this worm, and it's casting these ray spells at the other members further back too. The guy in the back is just shooting at it wildly but he's in the way of the other members' retreat. So everyone's trying to fight this thing, it engulfs one or two characters and ends up dropping the guy in the back with some spell. The guy right in front of him freaks out and runs away while the only two people remaining end up dropping the worm. They go into the room to try to take out the cultists, but one of them looks down into the pit, fails his sanity check, and becomes a gibbering idiot on the ground for a few rounds. This makes the last guy think that it's probably a good idea to get the hell out of here and he beats feet.

He gets to the entrance to the mausoleum, and the gate is now locked. The guy who ran out had slipped me a note that when he got outside if he didn't see anyone coming behind him he was locking the gate and running away. I thought it was a pretty natural reaction to dealing with a big walking pile of worms that is eating people and shooting lasers.

So he's locked in a very small space, wounded, and there are cultists breathing down his neck.

That was the end of that.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 16, 2012