Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Disclaimer: I haven't played SWTOR, so that may set all this on its head.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

They always want to run KOTOR era which I know nothing about and see as kinda dumb.

I have a bunch of friends who don't like Star Wars but loved the KOTOR 1/2 settings, and I think the appeal is just the deconstructing that era does (kinda half-assed in Bioware's case, pretty full-throated in Obsidian's) to the story: when is it good or bad to be a Jedi, when is the existence of the Jedi a good or bad thing, what kind of collateral damage do the Jedi do to the planets and people under their influence, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The first image to me that came to mind was from some other goon's WH40K game where a psyker tried to read a (many thousands of times mindwiped) guy's mind, freaks out, and eats his lasgun. I forget whose game it was, though.

I just reread this story the other day, looking for something different in the best experiences thread. It's worth reposting. This is the pretty cool story where it's offhandedly mentioned:

Squidster posted:

My character at the time, Tabula, was a Mindwiped Arbitrator, who had been wiped endless times. He had learned that he had a wife and son, and that she had been killed in front of him by his Inquisitor. Though he looked young, he was apparently hundreds of years old, and had served several Inquisitors in time.
( He also managed to kill a psyker once by voluntarily undergoing pyschic questioning, knowing that the very first question was going to be "What is your name?". )

And this is the post with the details:

Squidster posted:

A Mindwiped character is one who learnt too much, but is for some reason too valuable to just kill. Every fragment of their memory and personality is pushed down and overwritten with a more 'convenient' personality.

But it's not a reliable process - little chunks of memories lurk, personality quirks survive, and there's an ongoing risk that something too familiar will cause a catastrophic break in the constructed personality.

When a Psyker invaded poor Tabula's mind to try and find out his real identity, he found the current identity, saw that it was false, pushed down to the layer below that, saw that that was false too, but it was also a lie with similarities to the previous layer, and he went mad in a thousand false pasts, lies and unconnected memories. Mind probing a normally mind wiped character would be fine, because they only have two layers - but Tabula was old and trapped in repeating the same fate again and again and again in a myriad overlapping ways.

Psyker homie basically went "So many names! Infinite truths!" and then ate his laspistol.

...it was pretty awesome.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Agrikk posted:

My god I am going to buy the book that DCB will publish based on this campaign.

My god, I am going to kidnap DCB's GM.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

How did you manage to get a single clone to die more than once?

Friend Computer's latest innovation, the Local Back-Up Clone! Each Troubleshooter carries a clone of himself or herself on his or her back. The clone is in Modified Joyful Stasis* using a wonderful system in which stasis is triggered to end as soon as the Troubleshooter's life signs cease.

(* Please note that Modified Joyful Stasis ends regardless of whether or not the Troubleshooter-killing situation is still in progress, so an unlucky clone may experience an extraordinarily brief lifespan.)