Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Exculpatrix posted:

I consider this a success for a game with no planning, where everything was being made up half a step ahead of the players' actions.

This is the only kind of game I know how to run. I'm going to try a different angle this next time. We are going to use Dawn of Worlds, a small list of rules to make a world and its history as a group and then we can discuss what kind of game we want to play, where to play it in the world we've built, and in what time period. I think it would be great for playing back and forth through time in a set campaign universe that WE created.

If only I had players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
I've been looking in the old threads but I can't find this story:

A group (possibly all playing orcs) befriend the village idiot orc and he becomes a close friend NPC. When the large dumb orc is killed in battle, they are all dumbstruck and genuinely get angry at what killed him.

I'm using a similar character in my game, (to eventually unite the characters in my group who don't get along 100%.. or even 50%) but I'd like to read the story again.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Here it is. Axeman Jim's story of Gront.

Oh god, thank you, kind sir.

Edit: Upon rereading, I didn't tear up, but I got that..pre-pre-crying feeling.

Arx Monolith fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 1, 2012

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Agrikk posted:

I can't think I've ever been in a campaign that was run by multiple DMs that was any good.

Our old homebrew game changed DMs a lot because the very nature of it was a monster-of-the-week sort of set up. We always discussed what we were going to do in general with everybody else and get each other pumped up for what was going to be the "Event Horizon" episode or the "Doc centric 2-parter". We treated the game like we were writing a TV show, and every so often the main writer would be a different guy. I can't think of a better way to run a game that has no strict plot flow and is played just to be creative and have fun. Maybe I should start a thread about this game since i moved and I can't find anybody who games in Utah to play with me?

Question: Is there a thread for rule/ how-to set up a game around here? I'm not a huge fan of playing in forum format but I've reached my limit.

That being said, my good game story is that we once all got together and plotted out a story arc for one of the characters (without him knowing) and let his support-type character shine in a way he never really got to. Bonus points for it being a really well done time travel story.

So we have:
Sam who plays Troy Walsh, a werewolf who can change forms at will like in Werewolf: The..whatever. He ran this 2-parter
Me who plays Corbin Graves, a vampire,and Troy's best friend. Will eventually find out he is really good at blood magic. This is important because we are going into the future.
Mike who plays Patmos, a Preist of Judas. Big guy with lots of arm tattoos. Deals in holy magic, does not heal people.
Jesse, also played by me because she's just an NPC. Corbin's love interest who was made into the same kind of vampire Corbin is.
Tom played a psychic/ telekinetic boy named Six. He was an experiment in trying to make a super human.
Jacob, who played Doc, a man from the future trapped in our time. Sort of like.. Tony Stark meets Doctor Who. We never really GOT who Doc was supposed to be because Jake kept changing his mind.
Vanessa, played by my wife, who only played once for this game. She's Doc's immortal assistant who hates him.

The set up is the world is full of monsters and demons and angels and wizards and mad scientists and what have you. Most are good, they work for a global system called Anereum. Like MiB but without aliens or humans. Just monsters and ghosts and poo poo. It's also important to know we were all behind the story and knew everything that was going to happen. Except Jake. This was his time to shine, and we were gonna put on a little show for him.

So Doc is working on getting his time machine wrist watch to interface with something or other and BAZAP! He and Vanessa are thrown through time to the future where, to be short, poo poo is hosed. The apocalypse has come and nobody stopped it in time. A demon named Bezzlebecoil (a demon who is currently possesing Patmos) has taken over the world. Doc meets Jesse and Patmos and explains his situation.

Jesse is looking for where Corbin has been buried as punishment for his part in all this. Troy and his family are overseeing a nearby village of survivors, mostly werewolves. The group find Corbin, feed him a bit of Patmos and explain more after a fight with the guardian of Corbin's grave. So, a big demon shows up, starts wrecking poo poo and is 100% invincible for some reason (he stayed so long in Patmos that he grew accustomed to holy energy). Corbin decides to use his blood magic to make an army of warrior vampires he can control. This works for a while, but they turn on him and become an equally big problem. As human numbers are dwindling, monsters come out into the public and take over the government. Troy tries to get Corbin a fair deal with his pull in the Werewolf community, but Corbin is sentenced to being buried for 500 years. Troy says he may be able to forgive Corbin then. The best friends have been ripped asunder. The group travels to Last Stand, the town a mentioned.

Corbin is immediately thrown in jail, everybody else goes to a big fancy dinner. Doc is welcomed as a person from the past, cause that poo poo is common to our gang. He is asked to go back and warn everybody of what is going to happen. That's the best and most logical thing to do. Doc can't go back how he got here because his machine broke on reentry. Knowing full well that this order of events has already happened and now exists as its own universe within the multiverse, he would feel bad just abandoning them to save his own world. Doc researches a bit and pieces together some info to learn that yes, Corbin's bloodmagic COULD help, enough to weaken Bezzlebecoil to normal damage. A truce is made and everybody sets off. It was here that Jacob had to decide to tell Troy they were leaving, or leave him behind. He brought Troy, but I'll let you know how it would have ended if he got left back.

We all approach this grotesque throne room made of bones and meat to see the god-king-demon of earth on his throne. Corbin casts a spell, putting literally all of himself into it, and blasts Bezzle. He falls, Troy catches him, and Corbin says the first words to his best friend in like, 20 years. "Did I do good?" Then he dusts. Poof. Dead forever. No afterlife for vampires. The end.

Troy rages out and charges. We fight. Troy gets backhanded the gently caress out of and dies because Corbin's spell needed a drat minute. We win, Bezzle dies. Troy's lovely brother Lincoln takes over and Last Stand continues to kind of be a poo poo hole. A statue is made of our heroes, Troy and Corbin with their arms over each other's shoulders, friends forever.

If Troy HADN'T come, Corbin and Troy never have that moment and the statue erected has them at opposite ends, but Troy takes over Last Stand and it becomes a shining light of hope in the desolate west.

Doc eventually goes home and now has to decide what to do with this knowledge. Corbin is a powerful blood mage, made only more powerful by his vampiric state. It is not obvious, but hints were heavily dropped that Patmos currently has Bezzle inside of him, Troy's protege will become his wife (at this point she is dating somebody else), and in the future Cthulhu will come.

Everybody played well together, it was a great look at what could be for our main characters and a B-Lister (Jake wasn't always there to play) got a good 2 weeks in the spotlight. Eyes were always on him to make choices and see his reactions. It was one of the best RPG experiences I've had. That whole Anereum game was my best experience though.

So seriously, somebody point me to the how-to-setup-a-PbP-game thread.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

:twisted: Oh, what did I ever do to you? You guys are jerks.

This post made me so mad it ruined my morning with thought of how I would violently deal with this man if he were part of my group. it's like a loop of bad day dreams I can't escape. your group rear end in a top hat pissed me off so much that he ruined my PAY DAY. Slap him for me.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
After letting Shelby pull that poo poo, making the dude roll damage for minutes for no reason.. I'd have ruled that John had +1 arms at this point, so the "just quite not enough to hurt me" weapon he was given as a big "ha ha, gently caress you" counted as a +2. Hubris.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Cantrips were vastly underrated.

Ran a pathfinder game and let a player roll up a goblin sorcerer. His whole character was based around using the cantrip Prestidigitation, which is basically "I do a magic trick". Walk into the royal hall? Confetti shoots out my sleeves and I announce "We have arrived!"
Impressing an important person? "Hey you have some dirt on you, oh look! A coin ..BEHIND YOUR EAR!"
Walking away from a jackass NPC? His shoes make fart sounds when he walks. It lasts.. uh.. let me check.. 2 hours.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

During the meantime, the friend playing the monk is rolling a paladin with 4 INT who is a worshipper of the lost god "Airs" and wants to bring the message of Airs to everyone he can.

It's Ares.

Shouldn't an idiot pronounce it Arrrrrs?
Or is a 4 INT make him a double idiot that pronounces wrong pronunciations wrong?

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

How do you pronounce wares

Or shares

Or scares

Say ARE. Add an S.
English is awful. Example: Ghoti is pronounced 'fish'.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

It's totally valid either way.

True. Wasn't nitpicking. Just telling how I read it wrong when I saw it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
I've always heard arguments against it, but I see no problem casting Create Water (2 gallons) into somebody's lungs, mouth, or generally inside a living thing.

Magic is a tool. It can be used as intended or used in any other way.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

The argument against it being that it turns a 0-level cleric orison into power word: kill.
Aren't all damage causing spells basically "power word: kill" on weak enough enemies?

Yawgmoth posted:

There's already a spell that does exactly that and it is shockingly called Drown. It's a 6th level Druid spell. If you don't see the issue with recreating a 6th level spell with a cantrip/orison, then I can't help you.
That's like saying you can't clobber a guy with a hammer, because you have to wait until you can afford a big heavy spiked mace. It's called resourcefulness.

Dirk the Average posted:

If it's 3.5 there is a rule for where Conjuration spells can be cast. You cannot, for instance, create a horizontal wall of iron unsopported in the air over the enemy or water in the lungs. You can certainly fill up a room or a pit with water regardless of what is in it, but creatures still get to hold their breath.
Well that rule isn't very fun sounding. Good thing they're actually guidelines.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Magic is a tool," says a guy who then describes a Not-Tool.
How is magic not a tool? That's the argument in whole heap o' fiction where people fear magic. Good wizard posits that magic is a tool and can be used for either good or evil. That's like saying a hammer isn't a tool. It's a hammer. You may only hammer with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Knocking me through a gazebo

What was such a powerful monster doing there?