Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

FactsAreUseless posted:

And then everyone stood up and applauded, and the whole game turned into an MST3K riff-fest.

Girls then lined up to dole out bjs for everybody!

But in all seriousness, I love my current DM. He does a great job with atmosphere, and has nifty tricks to keep us all on our toes. We were traversing this clock puzzle, and trying to figure out what was going on, as when the clock struck a particular hour, a door opened and there was a puzzle inside. As an aside, this DM likes to keep his minis behind the DM screen, so that way when he busts one out it's always a surprise. Well, he was gesturing to something on the mat where our characters were positioned, and as he did he flashed a giant gently caress-off monster figurine, like three times the size of our character minis (thus indicating a gigantic gently caress-off monster IC as well, generally) just above the DM screen. We all immediately swiveled our heads to see what in the hell he was holding, but he had already put it back behind the screen. When questioned, he said "what figure? I don't know what you guys are talking about."

We never had to fight the drat thing either, he was just loving with us. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So I'm coming up on what may be a strange (read: awful) experience. I game with a great group of people, and I've truly enjoyed my time with them, but there are a few things about this next game that's being set up that I'm not looking forward to. We're playing a zombie apocalypse game, and everyone has relatively normal Los Angeles-based charaters: a movie star, a tourist, a doctor, a meth head, and a dog.

Wait, what? That's right, one of our players is playing a dog. Now I don't know why this got approved (I'm sure it's for the DM's own amusement), but one of the guys is playing a dog. Not a talking dog, or something equally hilarious, but a non-speaking, non-tool-using, nothing but attacking dog. I swear to god, the minute he tries to communicate with barks and whines IRL, I'm shooting his "character" in its little doggy face.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Wow, I didn't even think of that. Minus a few gender switches, it dots perfect!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

InfiniteJesters posted:

That is why I love Deathwatch. Even when things go horribly, horribly wrong, it's still metal as gently caress.

I love the Psyker tables in Dark Heresy. Roll for your power, psyker! Oops, you rolled a 9, go to the "Not-so-bad-but-could-get-worse" side effects table. Oops, you rolled 75-100, time to go to the "it-gets-worse" table. Oops, you rolled a 100? Your character gets sucked into the maw of hell, no saves. Roll up a new character!

Or even better, "oh, you rolled a 99. Your character turns into a hollow shell in which a demon now rests. Your friends all get murdered in front of you, by your own hand, while you get to watch from a prison inside your own brain!"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I guess for me the "that's the setting" is sort of a point, but I figure people's fun is more important. If everyone is on board with the player getting sucked into the warp, or a demon spawning, or whatever (which I think my players are, judging from their reactions to Perils rolls), then I figure it's cool when I throw poo poo like that at them. If the player is really attached to their character, however, then there's no reason not to house-rule or retcon or whatever. I've never had something truly spectacular occur, minus gravity reversing once. Beyond that, it's all been chills and memory loss or whatever.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
So do you have everybody just re-roll in an event like that? I know characters are supposed to be somewhat expendable, but in a TPK everyone just makes a new character?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I love Dark Heresy. It's just such a great vehicle for truly epic moments. For example, I'm currently introducing my group to the game, running the module in the back of the core rulebook. They get to the final boss, who is wrecking poo poo. One way they try to win (spoilers for Illumination) is to speak to this demon-tricked psyker, who is about to become a vessel for this demon to manifest in realspace. You can convince the psyker that what he's doing is wrong, and he will sacrifice himself to end the ritual. So they are trying to do that, since they can't damage the boss at all. The demon manages to land what would be a killing blow on one of the PCs, a cleric, who decides to burn a fate point. I rule that instead of dying instantly, he was instead just eviscerated, prone and barely clinging to life (and his guts). Immediately after the boss it was the cleric's turn, and with his final breath, he finally managed to convince the seer to sacrifice himself, ending the fight. I mean, the rest of the team would have probably finished the fight anyway, but it was just an awesome end to the fight.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
"Well you see, dwarves are really good at 'digging deep', if you know what I mean, and it makes sense that they can 'drill through' things besides rock, and heh heh rape should be a class skill" :fuckoff:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I was a worst experience last night. My friend has been working on a custom All Flesh Must Be Eaten campaign, based in LA. The cast includes the Massachusetts townie, the unsettling kinda-crazy doctor, the midget wrestler (who isn't a normal member of the group, but a friend that got invited along), the dumb movie star, a dog (which I still think is dumb, but as long as the guy playing said dog is having fun), and a meth addict. I was playing the addict.

So we start in a mall, move towards an evac point, and the game quickly devolves into me and the movie star acting like murderous assholes. At one point, we're headed back to the movie star's house to lay low and figure out what's going on when we encounter two looters. They get in our faces, not really taking a swing or anything yet, and I decide that my guy has had enough bullshit for one day and shoots one of the looters. The movie star shoots the other looter. This causes the townie to get in my face, so I point my gun at him. The player (who is awesome, they all are, I have an awesome group), plays that the townie grabbed my gun's barrel, put it to his head, and said I didn't have the balls. So I said I shot him in the head. The townie's player got this shocked look, and the movie star executed me with a shot to the back of the head. I completely derailed a campaign on the basis of "roleplaying". We retconned it, which I was totally okay with because I didn't want to ruin the campaign either (Sorry, Steve:(), but I think that my being a ruthless, argumentative rear end may have been uncool in the larger scheme of things. That said, I hope the guy playing the dog is having fun, because not being able to communicate, or use tools, or do anything except bite poo poo would drive me crazy after a while.

It's hard as a DM to know what to expect from your group. You might have some things in mind for the group to do, but our DM just was continually blown away by our group's stupidity/total disregard for human life. It's like we didn't do anything he had planned- he wasn't even trying to railroad, he just had ideas about what he thought we would do, and we didn't do any of it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
All in all, I still had a pretty good time, and I'm hoping the rest of the group did too. I'm thinking I might just have to tone down my murderous instincts, because I can only stand behind the "I took the 'Cruel' disadvantage!" argument so long.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Liesmith posted:

I fursonally think you shoulda said "You have guts. I like that" and then enslaved him.

This makes me uncomforable. :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Paragon tier is just high-level; bringing in a newbie to a paragon tier game would be inundating them with rules and options and all kinds of bullshit that a newbie player really should not have to be dealing with. PbP is play-by-post, correct.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
His name is Smug Sociopath, guys.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Regardless of how the Rogue got his gear, he still has more/better than everyone else. That automatically eliminates him from loot pools until everyone has the same amount of gear. How is this even an argument? I mean, jesus, just point him to this thread.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
We pulled a rod of wonder once, but the effects tables were pretty wacky and not mechanically broken at all. The DM pretty much gave us a fun item that in no way broke the game, unless you count turning the wizard blue (we also were able to tell what a haunted house was thinking). Not grognardy "You gain a +5 to dex! You die of a horrible kidney infection! Isn't this rod so wacky?"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
49. Magic Hat of Rabbit Summoning

Hat enchanted with a powerful spell of summoning. Can draw rabbits from the hat, 5 times per day.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Either that, or a draw of Bears forces you to draw from subdeck Deck of Many Bears... ouch, I drew #44 "poo poo, that's a lot of goddamn bears!"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
We had our wizard use Dimensional Door to *BAMPH* around like Nightcrawler. In lieu of featherfall, when we were falling from an airship, he dimension door-ed us to a few feet right above the river below us and then gave us water-walk. We just walked to shore and kept going :) It was like a high-altitude, low-opening drop. Screw falling slowly!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
19. Grin and Bear It

Party member becomes cursed with "anytime you smile, someone gets gruesomely eviscerated by a bear".

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Here is a bad experience:

The bad experience was my first experience with tabletop gaming. I was invited by a friend who had just purchased the DM kit for D&D 4E, and was super excited to run one of the pregens. I had expressed interest in showing up, and when I did everything seemed fairly normal. My friend had invited some other people, and the first guy to show up, Frederick, was pretty cool. He was in the army, well-groomed, socially well-adjusted, all-in-all a normal human being. So I figured that I was going to be okay, that this wouldn't be too bad even if I didn't enjoy the game, at least I could still get drunk and bullshit with some friends.

That's when the other two people showed up. They were a couple; Ethel, the girl, seemed pretty normal, if a little shy. The guy, Patrick, however, was a loving freak show, and immediately made me want to say "gently caress this, I'm out". Right out of the gate, Patrick made everyone else uncomfortable with his horrible misogynistic treatment of his girlfriend. Apparently she had failed to make a character, and he "had to make one for her, so she had to get punished". Yeah :wtc: The character he rolled for Ethel was a amazon-like woman in a chainmail bikini. Not content to just let that ride, he began describing the measurements of this imaginary woman, giving careful detail to her chest. Not cool. This sexually-charged uncomfortableness continued throughout the rest of the session, with Patrick goading Ethel into handing out blowjobs (in game) to get us through guards and whatever obstacles came up. It was gross.

But that wasn't the worst part. Patrick himself was more disturbing than his actions. He wasn't super fat or anything, and didn't have disgusting facial hair, but he was absolutely a stereotypical nerd. I noticed the fingernails first. All 10 of his fingernails looked like they hadn't been cut in years. Each one was like a coke fingernail. They were yellow with fungus and cracked down the middle. It was absolutely disgusting, and I did my best to not touch anything he touched. His face was a combat zone, pitted and greasy. His pig eyes hid behind lovely knock-off Transitions, so they didn't actually clear up from being sunglasses for a long time. He had a bowl-cut for hair, and in the end the total package was horrifying. Everything about him was completely unpleasant. I've not played with him since, but I've learned that he would come over, and once the game started go into the bathroom, take an awful, loud poo poo, and continue to play through the bathroom door.

So I almost never played again, but managed to connect with my current group, who are all awesome people to play with. :buddy:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
At this point you're starting to cross the line to being the one with the cat piss. Just don't contact him anymore, let him bitch on an anonymous forum, and live your life.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

This is the most awful, bullshit game to spring on your players. How did you put up with that poo poo for four sessions? I can imagine four weeks, 4 hours a week, 16 HOURS OF MAID PLAY? What in the absolute gently caress.

"I'm taking the only real cool aspect of this RPG and trashing it so I can get off to you guys playing 15-year-old girls washing dirty socks. Dirty, dirty socks." :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
A story is a story, dude, tell it.