Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

President Unerlion posted:

:eng99: gently caress. Ok you are carrying a horse above your head. Everyone around, and even a few horses are visibly awe struck.

Oh my god this is possibly the best thing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Back in high school, I decided to try out GMing. At the time, it was only me and my friend - we played D&D with just me as the solo player as the other guy who used to play moved. I wanted to do something different, so I tried out d20 Modern. The campaign idea was fairly simple - my friend's character was a guy who had been recruited by an secret organization called Department 7 to fight supernatural threats.

I don't remember the first mission all that well, but basically my friend finds out that some machine creatures are turning people into their slaves and gets the Department to mount a raid at the location. He goes off on his own, and wins up meeting the creature in charge, who talks to him. The thing wants to get away, and offers a million dollars in a briefcase if my friend lets him. He accepts, and then opens the case once the creature is gone. It is actually a bomb and he is hospitalized.

So he gets out and goes home. I decide to improve a roleplaying scene where his mother calls him and asks how he's doing and stuff.

"How it's going son?"

"Okay. I got blown up though."

"What?"

"Yeah I work for the government and they sent me on a mission where someone bombed me."

I'm kinda going "What the hell" in my head, but continue. "Son, what are you doing?"

"Oh it's a secret organization, I do this kinda stuff for them."

I'm still reeling from the fact that he just admitted this to his character's mother, and have her end the conversation by asking him to quit and do something safer.

I wasn't sure how to deal with the fallout of this, but the game ended soon anyway. The character wound up getting arrested because he was a crime scene taking guns from dead bodies to sell.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ilor posted:

My current Apocalypse World game also has some amazing poo poo going on right now, but I don't know how well it would be suited to fictionalized form.

I'd be interested in hearing about what's going on, even if you just talk about what happened instead of fictionalizing it. I'd actually prefer it to be honest.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Reclaimer posted:

What about 3D printing, if he's allowed to use tools?

The gun mage has to do and make everything themselves. They have to hand make the tools they use to get the ore to make into metal, and all the stuff they use for smithing has to be made by them as well - absolutely nothing can be already made for them to use.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Yawgmoth posted:

I think at a certain point you have to let them use something made/acquired by someone else or else you're just being a dickhead. You have to make the tools, but how do you make the tools? With a forge? So now I have to make a forge, which I do with other tools... that I have to make? Well gently caress, now we're in a chicken-and-egg scenario, especially if I have to get the material for tools myself, because that generally requires the same tools to dig into the earth as you would to make a gun.

You pretty much have to make everything by yourself, yes:

quote:

Alternately, a fulminaturge could make himself a new totem weapon, and its bullets, unaided and entirely from scratch. If he mined all the iron and saltpeter and copper himself, made his own forge, his own charcoal, his own hammer and tongs, and built the weapon with no help from anyone, touching it with no tools but those he made himself, then he could get a major charge if the gun was any good.

So basically getting a major charge as a gun mage is the kind of thing a character would spend a campaign working towards. The examples for what you can do with a major charge are become immune to all firearm attacks, curse someone to always be hit when fired at, or turn all munitions in a twenty miles radius except your own into inert sand.

Kavak posted:

Plutomancers have to achieve new wealth right, they can't just shuffle the same millions back and forth between themselves.

Magic in Unknown Armies has various rules which don't allow stuff like this. In addition, Plutomancers lose all the charges they have if they spend more then $1,000 dollars on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Firstborn posted:

I'm starting to think there should be a separate good and bad thread. I mean no offense to anyone, but I find myself scrolling by huge effortpost paragraphs amounting to "I had a good game". I mean no disrespect. I'm horrible.

There was a thread for bad experiences, but it didn't get many posts so the "good games" and "bad games" threads got combined into this one megathread.