Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Playing cross-splats requires a lot of trust and cooperation that frankly most players aren't going to come in with unless everyone knows each other for long, and in a LARP with 20+ players, it's going to be unmanageable as HiKaizer noted how one splat can completely wreck things for other splats quite casually and easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bards sucking was part of the agenda 3.0 had of making all arcane casters that aren't normal Wizards bad.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Some games you can go a long while on your starting equipment, but not D&D - it's absolutely reliant on the equipment upgrade treadmill loop for both feeling a sense of accomplishment and actually being able to actually keep up the damage race.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, you kind of sound like a No Fun Allowed type of guy, Firstborn.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh boy, the stuck record mentality is a bitch, though the GM letting it continue for hours is ridiculous. When stuff like that happens, you have to break the loop, even if it requires stopping for a 'smoke break'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yawgmoth posted:

I've had sessions of games where I just had to say "okay guys, OOC: your plan will work. Your roll(s) will determine how well it works; if you roll really well, you might get a further benefit, and if you roll poorly there may be some complications down the road. But you will, at the present time, be successful with what you are trying to do. Now roll your [skill]." I've never had anyone try to argue beyond that, thankfully.

Yeah, sometimes you can say it and it gets through, sometimes they get so stuck in it you have to completely break their focus - a cousin had such a loop happen and he had to basically pull the 'rocks fall everyone dies' to get their attention, and then explain 'no not really, but now you've stopped arguing, here's what's going down."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I can understand being annoyed at not being asked permission for using a character especially if you've been playing them for a long time - but jesus christ, that's not something worth three weeks of solid flaming and possibly completely severing a friendship over

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

JustJeff88 posted:

The problem with investigation mechanics in most games, tabletop and video, is that it can be very hard to differentiate between 'there's nothing here, try something else' and 'there is something here, we just haven't found it yet'.

Yep, it may be a little immersion breaking for some but it's better to telegraph in some form that you're looking at a dead end.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

neonchameleon posted:

What's wrong with Dresden Codak? :(

Terrible panel layout and long delays between pages despite being paid so she can work on it full-time is the least of it, the author is extremely pretentious and believes any criticism is jealousy or a hit job. She makes it clear she has an extreme fetish for amputee women with how her main character's treated.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 13, 2021

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hattie Masters posted:

Entirely correct. However Diaz goes by She/Her now

thank you, didn't know went back and corrected pronouns

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Brucato.... oh boy, someone tried to F&F review but quit because he kept fetishizing a sixteen year old character.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Brucato has a... certain reputation to where even other White Wolf writers seemed to be creeped out by him.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

F&F has the aborted write up on Power Chords, and a couple of his writings: Changing Breeds, Children of Gaia, some oChangeling and Mage stuff and it paints the guy who considers neo-paganism a license to gently caress whatever he wants, emphasis on the what.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 16, 2021

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

No, no - tell me more about Transmute Idaho.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

But there's got to be Somebody in the right field.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I recall reading about that, and that they find out that group regularly invites newbies just to do that to diablerize

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

JustJeff88 posted:

What's a Tory party conference, then?

A house party

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly, I loving love the idea of reforming/'fixing' bad concepts like turning Imperialism into Exploration

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Golden Bee posted:

One was solved by throwing a raccoon at people.

More problems can be solved by throwing a raccoon, the new problems that causes is future you's problem.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That honestly sounds really amazing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Phy posted:

Maybe getting a little too into the weeds here but how does he cope with the fact that since time immemorial people have called his name every time they bang a shin on the coffee table

so Ao is basically an Oh God instead of a God.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Agrikk posted:

…because it needs to be part of a ritual for the effect to manifest. The jump to the left and then the step to the right are necessary somatic components.

Don't forget to bring your knees in tight, or else you might as well be doing the madison - and nobody wanna see that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Like Clockwork posted:

Or aiming for the ground rather than directly at his feet, if you were wanting a similarly intense impact without serious injury. Saying you shot someone in the foot and expecting to have them still be fine seems deeply odd to me.

This. There's a reason why it's a (likely aprochyal) cliche for soldiers to shoot themselves in a foot to get out of wars - it's less lethal and less apt to be suspicious but still enough of an injury to get out of combat.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seems like the UK version of Matthew Lesko aka the guy with the question mark suit yelling about free money

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, my Bard cannot get caught between the moon and Strahd von Zarovich.

I know Strahd's clingy, but it's true.

God drat it, now that song's gonna be in my head for the rest of the night.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I maintain Evil TNO runs is probably the best written evil campaign for a video game, but at the same it is virtually unplayable for anyone who gets attached to their pixels because it shows what it's like playing someone truly vile, including grinding down someone's will to the point where he's willing to sell himself into slavery on your say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a narrow thread: You write an evil route that's too good and nobody wants to play it because it's too depressing/soul-crushing, do it poorly and people would either get bored of repetitive puppy kicking.

Really the best kind of 'evil' games is in the vein of Evil Genius where it's being a hammy as gently caress supervillain that rewards creativity but is at enough of a distance that you don't feel like a complete monster.