Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

It sounds to me like he's doing some sort of grimdark Scooby-Doo parody. I say roll with it and don't worry about it.

It's eerie how well it fits. (I'm assuming the genders match the characters) Movie star = Daphne, tourist = Fred, doctor = Velma, Meth head = Shaggy.

Sounds like a fun game if anyone else picks up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nietzschean posted:

Even framing the question as success or failure seems to me the wrong way to look at it.

The attraction of the ability to fail a roll is that a given roll represents a place where the story will diverge. Instead of the gallant heroes saving the day, they might fall short despite an honest effort and be left to deal with the aftermath of their failed endeavour: since the bad guy got away, now there's suddenly a lot of monsters attacking a town; or, because they didn't find out about a plot in time, a key figure is assassinated and his replacement becomes yet another antagonist for them to eventually defeat; and so on. Looking at it from the perspective of winning or losing just doesn't click for me, but then I prefer to explore consequences and story more than I care about big numbers.

This can work in the opposite direction as well. I was once in a game where we managed to kill a plot-relevant lv15 bad guy way earlier than intended (We were lv8) and the DM rolled with it and had the bad guy's death change the flow of the story.

To explain, one of the PCs (A Bard) was working with the bad guys behind the scenes and was planning on betraying us. He decides he like us, and tells his commander, a 15th level Vampire, that he's not going through with it. A few lucky rolls later, the Bard traps the Vampire in his bag of holding. After coming clean to the party and handing over some useful info he picked up while in their service, we began to work on the pressing issue of what the hell to do with our Vamp-in-a-bag.

We plan as such: we take the bag into the middle of a nearby desert at noon with no shade for miles, have the priest hallow the ground we're on, set up half a dozen triggered spells aimed at whatever comes out of the bag, and have the Bard dump the Vampire into the middle of this little trap of ours. The vampire gets vaporized as soon as he gets dumped out of the bag, but not before he yells out "ACERAK WILL HAVE HIS REVENGE!" (Anyone who recognizes that name will easily figure out our 'punishment' for killing this NPC) and leaves behind only a withered hand. That emits a magic aura that nearly blinds the mage when he uses Detect Magic on it. One good Knowledge: Religion check by the priest reveals that our little friend had the goddamned Hand of Vecna on him.

Our little lv8 band of pissants were now in possession of something that the Vampire's boss will surely want back. We decided that we needed to get rid of this thing FAST. So we sell it to the High Priestess of Lolth in the Drow Capital of the Underdark for a cool 5 million gold, no questions asked either way. Then we decided to investigate this Acerak fellow after kitting ourselves out with this windfall. Cue a fun romp through the Tomb of Horrors in which the bard gets stripped naked, gets his gender reversed, and I get torn in half by a 4-armed gargoyle. We all got better after the DM decided she'd had her fun and had Olidammara (who had victimized us earlier in the campaign) fix everything. Except for the gender swap - the bard had to deal with that for an extra week because Olidammara thought it was hilarious.

Sadly, we never got to finish the story due to the school quarter ending and the party getting torn apart by out of game stuff, but it was great to have a DM who took a derailed plot and rolled with it.