Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So I sat there and I waited and I made coffee. When he eventually showed up, I offered him a cup.

I believe you mean caf. :colbert:

(That's loving awesome.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't think he specified that the villagers did anything to offend the party besides:

• breathing
  • having things
  • being within the limits of their caprice

If the group wants to kill all the villagers, then I guess those villagers must be assholes that deserve it. :shobon:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

GruntyThrst posted:

Also it's really really hard to just straight up destroy planets. You'd need a pretty good sized asteroid, even moving at relativistic speeds. Although I don't know how SW hyperspeed works, if it actually moves you FTL as opposed to say, Star Trek spatial warping than yeah that's get easier real quickly.

The Death Star just shoots a superlaser at it.

SW hyperspeed works by (as of the last time I was seriously in the loop on SW nerddom) shifting you into an ~alternate dimension~ ("hyperspace") where relativity doesn't apply. Large enough masses cast a "shadow" in hyperspace.

And the Death Star was created as a symbol, not an actual practical thing. "Rule through the fear of force rather than the force itself." The Empire doesn't want to be exploding planets full of resources and subjects, it wants to have a big terrifying invincible battlestation; using hyperdrive tricks would be like the USA smuggling a dirty bomb into Tehran. Also, there's sort of a MAD situation: once the loving government of the galaxy starts throwing poo poo into planets, how long before somebody's hurling asteroids at Coruscant?

Finally, using hyperdrive isn't really that much better. Hypernav is tricky, so if you launch from far away you risk missing, which could entail blowing up the entirely wrong planet. But if you're going to make the jump from in-system, you may as well just show up with a fleet of Star Destroyers and sterilize the planet from orbit.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Phenotype posted:

Has this ever been spelled out in the fiction? I always assumed it was a limitation of hyperdrive technology, that presence of a gravity well literally yanked a ship out of hyperspace. Otherwise, yes, it seems silly that people can't just disable it, particularly smugglers that use out-of-the-way routes but fear interdiction.

Nope, it's specifically the hyperdrives that are programmed to cut out if a ship is getting too close to a gravity well.

Of course, looking at Star Wars as anything but Space Fantasy Western is just asking for trouble. We're talking about a galaxy where technology has been basically stagnant for a thousand years or something, so I guess I can believe that nobody really knows how to reprogram a hyperdrive.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Boiled Water posted:

Current canon puts the old republic at what 3k years before the movies yet having identical blasters, ships and swords. Space, space never changes.

Hey, the ships are way different, you see they change the number and shape of wings therefore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

d3c0y2 posted:

I always thought this was intentional. Star wars is Science Fantasy, and the idea of technological progression with time is tied into themes of modernity. By keeping the technology at a relatively similar level, I thought they were trying to imply the lawlessness and un-modern nature of the societies within star wars.

It's not that complex. Starships and blasters and lightsabers are the cool parts of Star Wars. They wanted to make the Republic super ultra old. Therefore, there were starships and blasters and lightsabers 3000 years ago. Nobody bothered to concern themselves with what that means about the galactic rate of scientific discovery because nobody is supposed to take Star Wars seriously.

e: vvv We're posting in TG. I suspect that more of us than just me have a long, dark history of taking this poo poo seriously buried in the past.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 9, 2012