Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'll share my favorite Call of Cthulhu story, I tell it everywhere else.

[snip]

Suck it, bitches! I won Call of Cthulhu!

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

Two weeks later, the partner sees the client stroll into the local gladiator arena, completely of his own volition and will, and get turned into stone by a basilisk.

Well, now I'm curious: how'd you pull it off?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Technically you could have done all that without being a robot (well, maybe the lifting and toting part required robot strength, but I'm sure you would have found a way to manage it). It did have a certain class value that overriding the outer door mechanism from inside the ship wouldn't have, though.

That said, I'm more curious about this:

LuiCypher posted:

We then played Paranoia and everyone died more times than we could count. Sometimes multiple times even before the clone backups arrived on the scene.

How did you manage to get a single clone to die more than once?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Maybe ask the players if they're trying to get their characters killed? :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dave offers the dice to Bill, who shakes his head, reaches out, grabs the two bricks of dice, and dumps them on the table.

Okay, for those of us less familiar with the Shadowrun rules... I'm gathering that four dice is weaksauce and 68 dice is... impressive. (Was it 72-4 or 72-8? Because I could read what you said either way.) How many dice would be typical for a character in his particular niche?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Me: "Hey... we've got like over ten thousand crewmen, right? We could easily lose a hundred or so without even noticing. Do we have to dump the blade overboard?" :v:

So did you check the performance reviews to decide who'd be in that hundred? That's one way to give them a severance package... :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ItalicSquirrels posted:

"They took it outside for a while at that point and everyone went back to playing. Then Judge walks in and loudly announces, 'Well, no sex for her tonight!'

I have a feeling he wasn't the one to make that (ahem) ruling. Just a thought. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

While this is happening, the tech priest phones the terrorist they work for and tells him everything - that they modified the bomb (against his orders of planting it), that they're in the hospital, that they found a book (he thought the cleric still had it and told him that too). Really just spilling the beans to the campaign antagonist.

Uh, why? Did he think it was a good time to go 'neener neener neener'? Was that his idea of a clever backstab?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Section Z posted:

I do recall one of the more sad justifications people gave for "Non force users are just as good as force users!"

Well, I'd assume that, in a role-playing game, you'd want there to be at least some semblance of balance between non-Force users and Force users. Unless you're going the Ars Magica route and just having everyone be Force users. That doesn't make that particular example any less stupid, but...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

This always happens when I GM Hackmaster.

So they play it exactly like the Knights of the Dinner Table would? Complete with the inevitable foot-shooting? Sounds like it's working as designed.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

JAssassin posted:

DM: As the wheel slows to a stop on white, it immediately jerks, spinning backwards onto red, as you feel an ill omen overtake you.

Wait, did the DM give you an artifact that randomly dicks you over and then override the randomness when it suited his fancy? (Or did you still get the mechanical benefits?)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Minutia posted:

We got away from the limb-mangling DM, relocated to another player's house, and started a different campaign, but (despite my best efforts) we didn't manage to get rid of all the creeps in one fell swoop.

[snip]

It took two more campaigns (one of which he deliberately sabotaged) for the group to toss this guy out. And even then, they only agreed to do it because I hit the breaking point and told them it was him or me. The group was shocked.

Well. You may have gotten down to just one creep, but I think you managed to retain a fair number of idiots. Seriously? They were shocked you wouldn't want to play with this guy?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The worst part about Paranoia is that this happens every time someone brings it up.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Next time, I'll tell you guys about the group that abandoned me to die!

At this point, I'm guessing you really do mean the group abandoned you, the player, to die. Good lord.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

That was my last session with that group.

And I guarantee you they thought, 'Well, glad we finally got rid of that rear end in a top hat.' :c00lbutt:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

OmniDesol posted:

So, we just finished a pretty major chapter of the Call of Cthulhu D20 game that we recently converted and hybridized with 13th Age.

I assume the hybridization is the reason they were able to do half that stuff without dying or going insane? :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Error 404 posted:

I always felt the crazy price of reagents is a holdover from older editions, and instead I just used those prices as a one-time thing.

I think his point is that there's no balance whatsoever, not that they're too expensive.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Couldn't you just read grognards.txt?

I took a look at that, and... I don't even really understand what I was looking at. (This, right?) Did some mod just stripmine the forum for their 'favorite' posts and put them all in a single thread?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Keiya posted:

(I'd talk about the time I was in a game of some homebrew thing where one of the players took up BDSM as a hobby, but that was actually hilarious so...)

This is a thread for notable gaming experiences, not just bad ones. :justpost:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I think I just dodged a bullet on a worst game experience. I was talking with a couple guys after board game night at the FLGS, and the subject of role-playing games came up. I got excited and volunteered to DM something, only to have one of the prospective players
  1. Start going on about how often he seemed to roll exactly what he wanted to roll,
  2. talk about the number of campaigns he'd derailed, often with mass murder, and
  3. try to pressure me into running Jadeclaw, despite me straight-up stating I preferred rules-light systems and wouldn't want to run something I wasn't familiar with, to the point of trying to get someone to run off copies of a blank character sheet.
Needless to say, I found an excuse to call off the prospective game session.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

loving never again will I play this barely baseline functional mess of an RPG system nor any combat-heavy one-shots under this DM.

After an experience like that, combined with your comment about him on the other side of the DM screen, I wonder why your statement isn't simply 'loving never again will I play with this guy'.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Contest Winner posted:

I am not a very experienced GM so, since every player but the psyker player reads this thread, there is a good chance that you'll get to hear about how I let the campaign devolved into the players killing each other over heresy.

Paranoia40K?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

aerion111 posted:

If I try to get some family heirloom appraised, but instead of sending it to the appraiser I send it to the private person next door, is there really no way for me to go 'Oops, my bad, please give that back'?

In that case, you aren't sending them merchandise. The law applies specifically to things like a company mailing you the first volume of an encyclopedia (in hopes of getting you to buy the rest); if you're not interested, you can still keep the first volume without having to pay them (which comes in handy if it'd cost money to ship it back). The fact that you aren't getting mailed encyclopedias on a daily basis is due to this law.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Firstly, let me extend my condolences for your loss.

Secondly, you should have the "sword" change colour to match the mood of the wielder.

You just put the phrase 'mood cock ring' in my head.

drat you.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Badgersmasher posted:

Well, looks like my GURPs game may have died.

Looks more like it's time to tell the other players that you're kicking That Guy out.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, this was the game where the players bought out the local arena from it's rear end in a top hat owner, incorporated themselves into a mercenary company, and had a magical lawyer that would pop in and offer them legal assistance at convenient times. So they almost certainly had a license that would cover theft of poltergeist. :v:

As the emote says, :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I have to admit, I was one of those not-fun-havers once. In my defense, I was just out of high school at the time, and there was some basic miscommunication going on. When I signed up for a PBEM campaign... Call of Cthulhu, I think? And the first thing that happened to my doctor character was there was a grisly death at the play he went to, he checked and made sure no one else was hurt and that there was nothing that could be done for the victim, then went home. It took me a very long time thereafter to wonder why I hadn't gotten any sort of 'okay, so the next morning' email...