Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Intriguing... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Under this scenario, how the heck do you handle the 'you have been carven up in to slabs of meat and roasted whilst still living and then devoured' situation?
"...you wake up the next morning in a cold sweat..."

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

WoD / Shadowrun crossover event when?
Oh, man. I ran an entire campaign that was a Shadowrun/Call of Cthulhu/In Nomine crossover. Kind of like Delta Green, before Delta Green was a thing. It was a blast.

Between the Eldritch Horrors and the Angels, the players weren't sure whom they could trust. They decided that the demons were usually pretty chill, but the angels almost always found a way to gently caress them over. Good times.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also: :siren:WARNING! As tempting as it may be, do not stick your dick in the crazy.:siren:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Or just give me her number...
I see what you did there. :colbert:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Carebearz posted:

I'm pretty sure Thor at least knows he's gonna die fighting Fenrir.
No, Fenrir is gonna do for Odin. Thor's end is Jormungandr.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yawgmoth posted:

If she didn't at least try to quote a bit of Hamlet when doing this then I am disappointed.
"Alas, poor Yorick; I really hosed him up, didn't I?"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What, you don't want to go to GenCon and hang out with 75,000 of your closest (sweaty nerd) friends?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Its name was Boustrophedon.
:golfclap:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Joke's on you; like any good lawyer, she's going to end up profiting more from these wishes than you are.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ugh.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
...which is another way of saying, "traps in isolation are dumb, and should not be used as a random number sink to drain resources (hit points) away from the PCs."

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

No Luck Needed posted:

Alex, “I rape the angel”
:yikes:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, time for Moral Relativism 101 (Evil in Theory and Practice):

Something I see all the time in games where people decide they want to play as "evil" characters is that the resulting characters are cardboard caricatures. Their actions and motivations tend to be flimsy at best, and they do "edgy" stuff because, well, it's "eeee-vil!"

The real world doesn't work that way, and if you're at all concerned with verisimilitude, a fictional world shouldn't work that way either. The concepts of good or evil are rooted in subjective value judgments. But what is incredibly important is that in both cases, those value judgments are based on an internal logical framework that flows from a series of (usually fundamentally unprovable) assumptions. The crusader carrying the sword of god against the heathens is a scion of holiness to people who share his worldview, but he's a gods-damned heartless butcher to people who don't.

I don't have any problem with people playing character who are cruel, or callous, or greedy, or malicious, or vindictive, or any of a number of other personality traits that modern western civilization views as "bad," so long as those character traits are consistent and arise from the character's internal belief system. "Evil" people don't perform "evil" deeds "because they are evil." No, the true terror is that "normal" people perform "horrible" deeds "because they think they're justified." And usually, unless said "evil" act is of some tangible benefit to the person doing it, they won't. Because even "evil" people just look at some stuff and go, :effort: It takes work to be nasty all the time, just like it takes work to be good all the time.

And if you're going to play one of these characters, it helps to keep this internal justification in mind. When contemplating your potential character actions, go back to first principles and decide if whatever reprehensible thing you're about to do makes sense - because if it doesn't, you're just being an edgelord and you need a good smack.

I've run "evil" games before. One of my favorites was a long-running medieval fantasy game where the PCs were all members of the same Thieves' Guild. The character types were exactly what one might expect - pathological liars, con-men, vindictive burglars, and unpredictably violent thugs. They were a group of utterly reprehensible people doing some really awful things. But really? Mostly they were just trying to get ahead. And while they did so, they exhibited a lot of other traits as well - mercy, loyalty, camaraderie, sacrifice, and filial duty. They didn't do bad poo poo because that bad poo poo's inherent "evilness" was their end goal, they usually did it because they felt it was the most expedient way to achieve their real goals (which themselves were often motivated by greed or anger). "Hey, maybe if we just messily and publicly kill one of these dudes, the rest of them will quit loving with us and we can all get on with our lives." That game was fantastic because the characters were well-rounded, everyone was caught up in the unfolding story (essentially a gritty crime-drama), and no one was out to demonstrate just how "evil" they were.

You can be nasty without being cat-piss.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think Cersei and (more importantly) Jaime Lannister are better examples. The first time you meet Jaime, he's loving his sister and pushing a 6-year-old kid out a tower window, and you're thinking, "man, this guy is bad news." He's ostensibly a member of the King's Guard, but betrayed and killed the king he had sworn to protect. But by the end of book 3, you understand exactly why he is the way he is, and you find yourself starting to root for him. Your first hint of it is probably when someone (I forget who) asks him accusingly, "What did King Aerys say when you stabbed him in the back?"

...and he replies totally deadpan with, "The same thing he'd been saying all day. 'Burn them. Burn them all.'" And you get the idea that maybe Jaime did everybody a favor by killing the "Mad King" instead of following his orders.

Cersei - and more specifically Lena Headey's portrayal thereof - is another interesting case. She's catty and vicious and vindictive and nasty. But she's been dealt a super lovely hand in life, and her love for and protectiveness of her children is indisputable. You get the sense that given different circumstances she might be a decent person, and for sure some of her misery is self-inflicted. She's a cast-iron oval office, but her motivations are believable.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CobiWann posted:

Port Cullus!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

He mentioned off-handedly after we'd established both that "it's good to see people learning to be scared".

...and...

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Not a high bar to cross, yeah, but he's salvageable.

Do us all a favor: next time you see this guy, punch him directly in the junk and yell, "SomethingAwful dot com says don't be such a dick GM!"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Spoken by the capering, cackling, Mako-like Aeromancer in our new FATE game last session: "Good sirs! We have need of your poo poo-wagon!"

Yeah, it's going to be one of those kinds of campaigns.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I mean, if your kid was playing 4E, wouldn't you be tempted to stage an intervention? I think any good parent would. :colbert:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:sever:

No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ysengrin posted:

Anyways, I'll look over the chat logs again and type up the finale in just a bit.
:f5:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ysengrin posted:

Sadly, Gargoyle declined to join, stating that he didn't think tabletop games were for him.
This is the worst part of this entire travesty.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You forgot Strawberry Fields.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I know a guy who does all sorts of heraldry digitally. If you've ever looked at something recent by Columbia Games (i.e. all of the Harn stuff), it's a safe bet that he probably designed and rendered the coats of arms. If you're interested, I'll ask him if he's taking commissions.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I've gotta say, after having watched a number of episodes, I'm not super impressed with Critical Role. I know they're all voice actors and poo poo, but it just feels like they're trying too hard to be "in character" most of the time. It feels...staged? Like bad community theater? I dunno, something about it just puts me off. And while on the one hand it's been good for the hobby, I think it also gives people the wrong impression about what tabletop gaming is/can be.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hahaha, you fuckers got me started. Tomorrow I'm going to talk about my character.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ignite Memories posted:

Alfredo explains that the recipe calls for the hamlet to pick out its own truffle in order to achieve the perfect pairing.
I love how this setting is both super light-hearted and yet also super dark.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I dunno about all the rapey bullshit, but I do likes me some low-magic, gritty settings. I've used Columbia Games' Harn setting since the 1980's. But in that setting, "gritty" generally means something more along the lines of, "yeah, you can carve some people up in combat, but just be aware that if you get wounded you might actually die of sepsis." Another thing I dig about low-fantasy settings is that the opposition is usually social/political/religious in nature rather than racial/demonic/undead. I dig it when the forces against which the players are fighting are relatable rather than 2-dimensional, mustache-twirling baddies. I mean, you can fight orcs in Harn, but why go to all that trouble when the Sherriff of Meselynshire is already such an rear end in a top hat?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Halloween Jack posted:

Harn is a great setting. But I cannot imagine using its rules, at least not without having a psychotic break.
Amen to that. In the 30 years I've been using the setting, I have used HarnMaster (in any of its incarnations) exactly zero times. Now I mostly use it for one-shots of Apocalypse World (reskinned to be Harn-themed) at conventions and stuff. Although having recently played Blades in the Dark, I think hacking that to do something like I did for my long-running Lia Kavair campaign would be awesome.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, but if the quarterback player is the only one having fun, what kind of "life" does that group have? Ergo: :sever:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

fuzzy_logic posted:

Is there a good system out there for a Lupin III - style game? I was thinking it'd be cool to have a party with skills like disguises, driving the getaway car, that kind of thing rather than purely combat, and just do heists.
I don't know about capturing the cartooniness of Lupin, but if you want to do heists you can't go too far wrong with Blades in the Dark.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pollyanna posted:

Blades in the Dark is pretty legit, though the new TTRPG hotness seems to be superhero games or Monsterhearts, so I don’t know how many people are playing it.
That's weird, because I think of Monsterhearts as "so 2013" and most supers games as creatures of the '90s.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
TTRPG player progression:

1) "We're playing the 'Temple of Elemental Evil' tonight because the GM has the module."
2) "We're playing the 'Temple of Elemental Evil' tonight? gently caress that, I don't care if the GM has the module, my character would never go there because it would be completely out of character to voluntarily enter such an obvious death trap."
3) "We're playing the 'Temple of Elemental Evil' tonight? Righteous! Yeah, we're all gonna die, but it'll make for a good story."

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, that level of player paranoia is definitely learned behavior. Dollars to donuts those players have been harmed by a previous GM.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You're better off, tbqfh. V:tM is terrible.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I would've gone with disintegrate, but OK.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, so Paris Hilton, then.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Preechr posted:

So you made a Dirk of Many Stings?

Also:
:frogout:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So a good buddy of mine from college has kids that are of ripe gaming age (14 and 15). They had expressed an interest in role-playing games, but had never had the opportunity to try any. So last year at GenCon, I ran some Apocalypse World for them (because despite the adult themes, the game is fantastic for teaching role-playing). This year, they were eager to repeat the experience, and to mix things up I decided to hit them with one of Vincent Baker's earlier games, In A Wicked Age.

For those unfamiliar with IAWA, it's origins are in pulp fantasy. Think R. E. Howard's "Hyborian Age" novellas about Conan and the like. The theme elements for any given session are randomly drawn from an "oracle," which is just a set of 52 snippets of text used to suggest characters and set the mood/scene. The characters and plot are built collaboratively, and while the game includes an element of PvP, everyone is playing their characters like they're stolen so no one really minds. My friend's son chose "God-Kings of War" as the oracle, and we were off.

I love running people new to roleplaying through this game, because they don't have any preconceived notions of what they should or shouldn't do in a game. For instance, when the Ace of Spades was drawn ("The very first time that a certain young soldier, impressed against his choice and wanting nothing more than to return to his home, has killed"), my friend's son asked almost jokingly, "Can I play the guy the young warrior killed?" When I said, "Sure, that would be awesome!" the kernel of an idea formed. Ultimately, my friend's daughter ended up playing that particular character, the ghost of a soldier-emissary whose important mission and deep love for her paramour/commanding officer prevented her from passing into the beyond. Her "special strength" (one of the elements of each character in IAWA) was "possession," and she spent the entire session hopping into and out of bodies. It was fantastic. My friend's son played the young warrior prince, sent to the war by his tyrant father to "harden him up" and make him fit for rule, but who wanted nothing to do with fighting. For his special strength, he chose "stupid lucky," a broad power that applied to his "Covertly" and "With Violence" forms. The prince's killing of the emissary was dumb luck (or unluck from the emissary's point of view) and troubled him deeply. That it seemed to be the only thing that made his father proud troubled him more deeply.

The session was great and involved palace intrigue, the supernatural (my buddy played the "demon of rage and avarice, secret power behind a great tyrant’s rule"), foul betrayal, and ultimately the patricide of the mad king and the ending of the war. I can't wait until my own kids are old enough to discover the joy of RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CeallaSo posted:

My current campaign has become a game of "how many subquests deep can we get before everything falls apart," as the party keeps getting themselves involved in things that necessitate a response.
gently caress yeah! This is a great example of the principle of "Play to find out!"