Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So a few weeks ago I ran an Apocalypse World one-shot for some folks over Discord. I've long been a fan of the Harn RPG setting put out by Columbia Games (so much so that I write for them now), and I've re-skinned the standard AW playbooks to fit with one of the kingdoms of Harn which is essentially Viking-themed. Anyway, the session was loving amazing and I had a great group of players who even though many of them were totally new to AW really leaned into playing their characters like they were driving stolen cars. I was so blown away with the characters and story they managed to give me that I ended up writing a fictionalized version of what transpired during the session.

So in the spirit of :justpost: I give you this link, where I posted the entire thing on the relevant forum:

https://www.lythia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=246760#p246760

The story was written for an audience familiar with the setting, but for those of you not familiar with Harn it's not really a stretch. There'll be some names to deal with, but it's all easy to grasp by context. Just know that the "Ivinians" are the vikings and the "Jarin" are oppressed indigenous people the vikings have conquered (think like the Saxons of England under the Danelaw, if that helps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I've never used HarnMaster to run a campaign because it's a super-crunchy dinosaur of a system, but I've been using the Harn setting for various kinds of games since first picking it up in the mid-1980s. I've used it with a number of different game systems, and for one-shots and convention games I found that filing the serial numbers off the Apocalypse World playbooks worked really well. I go into those games with essentially zero prep, secure in the knowledge that whatever character types the players pick or where (location) they choose to start, the source material has scads of seed ideas and adventure hooks to use to frame a story.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I solve this dilemma by never having plans.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bieeanshee posted:

Yes, but what about Rodin?
I dunno, lemme think about it. :downsrim:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Coursing through the veins of that terrasque? More terrasques.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:getout:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Drawmij's Instant Regret

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
"You're not even my real dad, Todd!"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
God, nerds are just the worst.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
One of the best campaigns I ever ran was an "evil" game, where the PCs were all members of the same thieves' guild. They were all terrible people, but they were all family so the game didn't descend into the kind of pointless back-stabbing mayhem into which so many of those kinds of games devolve. It was a ton of fun.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe later I can edit this post to add in my story of how my recent campaign crashed and burned after just four sessions, and I didn't mind.
:justpost:
This is the kind of thing I want to read here. What kind of madness transpired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I miss them, tbh