Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Glad I found this thread. I had a one-shot "see if you click with the group" game that I didn't go back to because of cat piss. There was actually a guy there nicknamed Cat, who had a lot of cats, and smelled like cats. Imagine the smile on my face when I saw this thread's title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Created a rainstorm of blood (while underground, mind you)

Also the archivist has a newfound phobia of blood.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hopefully Yawg comes in to flesh this out a little bit more but last night was awesome.

Somehow the Avatar of Zuggtmoy we were fighting slipped on the ice slick I conjured beneath her, which really pissed her off. I was sure she was about to eat me until I successfully escalated my Call Cranial Encyster spell and all five Encysters grappled her successfully. Meanwhile it's raining blood indoors, again.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Sounds about right. Best laid plans, and all. I'm actually a little worried that all the poo poo I've been planning during my game's hiatus is going to be rapidly rendered useless somehow, in some fashion I can't even fathom.

Mevil is now permanently mental, taking levels of Alienist and buttchugging terran brandy to wash away his thoughts.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I was able to convince my party of good characters to not only allow but to assist my true neutral malconvoker with his first lesser planar binding. The party now has a Bar-lgura named Francis helping us clear a Tiamat cult occupied city.

Also, the guy that is almost smelly enough to be a catpiss guy farted really loud and everyone just ignored it. No laughing, or disgust. Just pure conflict avoiding fart denial.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I interviewed with a group from meetup that said they were at seven now an that's where I could start but any deaths an you start at level one.

When I said "nice to meet all of you, but I don't think this will work" I think they were stunned from me breaking the nerd social fallacy. I was pretty put out about driving 25 minutes across Dallas for that experience.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So I saw a meetup posting that was somewhat nearby and messaged the guy that posted it. He said that the rest of the group would be meeting at a coffee shop later in the week and if I wanted to come by and see how I clicked with the group they'd love to meet me. I drove across town and we talked about their game, my (limited at that time) experience with tabletop gaming, and what I wanted to do with a character.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Comic book guy isnt worthy of your wife's artwork. That's awesome.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Either way I need to take a nap and see what kind of new nightmare horrors I have.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

My character's one weakness is his piss-poor saves - he's having to spend most of his meta-currency/reroll abilities on improving saving throws so that he doesn't get afflicted with all sorts of horrible bullshit.

Which is solved by your noob divine caster realizing that Mass Conviction is actually 10 minutes/CL, not 1 minute/CL as he previously thought.

I've had that spell for months ...

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just work at the library. Also, you guys wanna go back to Xoriat with me?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Look that's a problem for another day, we're busy trying to stop this guys college roommate from turning off the sun right now so he can do what he wants with that little pain pit.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

OmanyteJackson posted:

Bad gaming stuff

:sever:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Or just give me her number and I'll break up with her on behalf of your group via text message.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I've been in a Forgotten Realms campaign for the last year and a half with mostly 3.5 rules and some PF and homebrew sprinkled in. Our current story arc includes the adventuring party settling a trade dispute between Cormyr and Iriaebor. Turns out the main issue was the trade routes were being disrupted by two different third parties, unfortunately, our contact in the Trade Minister's office didn't care about the source of the disruption, just that we took care of it. After tracking down leads we've discovered the main gist of the plot is this - a cult to a green dragon is in conflict with a Lich leading a coalition of raised undead and Werewolves, with some undead were-things tossed in for good measure.

The Party
  • Sookie - Half-fiend Samurai. She's the longest tenured member of the group, and every small town tavern we enter there are whispers about either her fiendish appearance, her heroic deeds, or both. Apparently, she had something to do with crushing a cult right before they summoned an elder evil into the material plane.
  • "Drunk" - Bugbear Swashbuckler. Real name unknown, but rumors have it that he's an exiled Bugbear prince. Despite being exiled he's extremely lucky (has a ton of luck feats), so he's often rerolling misses and failed saves. Often seen double-fisting Everfull mugs or passed out in the back of our wagon. IRL this guy's attendance is spotty, so it works well with our narrative.
  • Jenn - Aasimar Sorcerer. Obsessed with electricity, the group's glass cannon. Close friends with Rasputin.
  • Rasputin - Human Archivist. Party buffer and demon summoner. Thinks that the best way to fight evil is to get evil creatures to do it for you. Has a bound demon servant - Dwayne the Vrock.
  • Draz - Kobold Druid. The oldest member of the party and the grumpiest too. Super-pissed about the green dragon cult. Has a Dire Bear animal companion named Bear.

The Plothook

After being sent to settle the trade dispute and uncovering the two clashing cults our interference was noticed by the Lich. Bounty hunters were sent to capture us, and they successfully took advantage of each of our individual weaknesses. The whole party was bound and held in a paddywagon of some kind when the green dragon cultists interfered and we were able to run away while the bounty hunters and cultists duked it out. Some further bumbling and following the trail of the Lich and his cult led to a siege of a Harper's stronghold where the Lich may be hiding.

The siege battle took an all day session to complete, clearing the Keep inside the walls took another session. At the end of the Keep clearing, we enter the library staffed by a ghostly librarian. Many goodies are found on the shelves (a few +2 ability score books, various divine and arcane scrolls, including a SCROLL OF GATE that Rasputin greedily took). Ghost librarian gave us some much-needed exposition and let us know that a long hallway at one end of the library was the artifact room. She had seen the Lich enter the artifact room, but he hadn't come back out. According to her, the magical warding of the Keep would have prevented any type of travel out - he was still in there, likely trapped by the magical defenses. She also granted us a restful boon - all of our spell slots were refreshed and all of our daily use magical items were renewed. This is where the session before last ended.

At the beginning of our last session, Rasputin gathered together the party, minus Dwayne.

Rasputin: "So I don't know if you remember the terms of Dwayne's service to me, but it ends once the Lich is dead."
Sookie: "Good riddance."
Rasputin: "Well, yes and no. He can't plane shift, so I don't forsee any problems from him in the future. But his boss might be pissed about his absence."
Jenn: "What are you saying? We should kill him?"
Rasputin: "If things are going well against the Lich, sure. I've got a Dimensional Anchor spell prepped, that should keep him from teleporting around. And an align weapon spell so everyone is bashing him with good aligned weapons. Should slice through him like a hot knife through butter. But again, only IF things are going good against the Lich. He won't hang around longer than he has to, so either way at the end of this fight he's going home unless we kill him first."

Here's the text of Planar Binding, just FYI: "Once the requested service is completed, the creature need only so inform you to be instantly sent back whence it came."

Since we all have our spell slots refreshed we refresh our 10 minute/level buffs and off we go towards the artifact room. As we enter the antechamber a loud voice from the other side of the door speaks, cold and raspy to our ears.

Lich: "Welcome, I wondered how long it would take! I know the artifact you seek is here, but I've already claimed it. However, I have no quarrel with you. We both seek to slay the green harlot! Ask me no questions, for I know you would parley with me endlessly. I simply ask one question for one member of your fellowship."

"Sookie! I will allow you to take the artifact, but you must swear on your father's life to return it to me once the deed is done and the green harlot is dead. Answer: yes or no."

Sookie: "No one threatens my father :anime pose: CHARGE!"

DM: "Roll initiative"

The Combat

The artifact room is a long hallway with various items in it, a luxury armory if you will. The Lich is on the far end of the rectangular room, near a low bench and flanked by two spectral ghosts. Between us and the Lich are some dozen other types of undead: skeleton archers, plague blights, and wights. But there's a clear path all the way from the door to the low bench, and Sookie is at the top of the initiative order, right after Rasputin. He knows exactly what Sookie is going to do - HONORABLE SINGLE COMBAT - and casts Haste on the entire party and uses his Dark Knowledge ability to give the entire party +3 to attack rolls against the Lich. Hasted Sookie's fly speed is now 80 feet, so she takes to the wing and flying charges right on top of the Lich, striking him with a single attack for 45 damage. The rest of the party fires up AOE abilities and wipes out the lesser undead types. Draz wildshapes into a Shambling Mound to tank the specters while wielding a Mace of Disruption, Jenn is throwing chain lightning at the undead around Draz and buffing Draz's CON score while killing zombies, and Drunk is dancing from plague blight to plague blight.

On the Lich's first action, he casts Dispel Magic against Sookie and makes the dispel check for every buff she has. Rasputin commands Dwayne to give Sookie some backup, which he does and surprises her since they have a mutual hatred for each other.

Draz is taking negative levels from the specters, Drunk is disabled on the floor after eating a Greater Bestow Curse that lowered his STR to 1, Sookie is entangled by her own circulatory system, Rasputin is out of summon monster spells, and Jenn finds out that the Lich is immune to lightning. The good news is that all of the mooks are dead and the party can focus on the Lich. Easier said than done - he's been shifting into Ethereal form and moving around the room to avoid taking damage. Summon Monsters did their part to clean up the lesser undead, but they can only hit the Lich when he's not ethereal and on a roll of 18 or better. Rasputin readies an action to hit the Lich with a Dimensional Anchor spell the next time he shifts out of his ethereal form, which lands with some help from a well-timed use of an Action Point.

From there he's stuck on the ethereal plane, but we're having a hard time hitting him. He's surrounded by summons and can't move, but our glass cannon can't hit him, our summons can barely hit him and are having a hard time overcoming his DR/bludgeoning when they do hit, Sookie spent 3 rounds entangled by her own blood vessels, and no one thought to prepare Remove Curse for poor Drunk. Dwayne is doing a decent job of hitting him with full attacks, but having a hard time overcoming DR since all his natural attacks are slashing/piercing. The Lich lets out a Doomtide, dazes 4 out of 5 summoned demons, and moves across the room. Rasputin saves against the Doomtide's daze, but can't see anything so he moves towards the edge of the mist. He spots the Lich in a corner, but he's out of any offensive options - except his at will Elemental from his feat: Summon Elemental.

Poor Rocky has a single slam attack and it's only +11, no way to hit unless he rolls a 20. Rasputin's player announces to the table - I can't hit him except on a 20. I might be able to bull-rush him but it'll only push him further away, Rocky's range won't let me move to the other side to push him back. Whatever, 5%, LETS GO!!!!

Natural 20. Damage roll: 1d8+10 = 13.

The DM's eyes go wide. "What kind of damage is that."

Rasputin: "Slam attack, counts as magical and bludgeoning."

DM: "A low rumble begins as the Lich's body starts to shake. It culminates in a high-pitched scream, and his corporeal form shatters into a black dust. A cold pocket of air rushes out from where he was previously, bringing the temperature in the room down significantly. You've killed the Lich!"

Dwayne: "Boss, contract complete." :FAAART: poofs back to the Abyss.

The Aftermath

With a little bit of searching, we found a secret room where the rarest artifacts were kept, along with the Lich's personal journal and some other things for the sake of exposition. The Lich was the lost Prince of Iriaebor, who had been seduced by a Green Dragon in humanoid form. Eventually, he learned her secret and decided to continue to work with her and research ways to extend his own life to match her longevity so they could work together longer. They had a falling out, and now he seeks the MacGuffin of Dragonslaying piece by piece. Some of the pieces he already held, others in the Harper's keep could only be taken by someone pure of heart, anyone else taking them for selfish reasons would be trapped in the artifact hall. Further searching turned up no phylactery, of course.

Rasputin: "We got played."
Rest of group: "???"
DM: :moreevil:
Rasputin: "He knew that Sookie would be honor-bound to bring back the artifact if we took it from him. He also knew that Sookie probably wouldn't swear on her father's life. Either way, we were going to either give him the artifact or take it by force. He knew he would reform wherever his phylactery is if we killed him so it was a win-win situation for him."
Draz: "Well, I'm not about to let a dragon-killing super weapon out into the world. Leave it here, destroy it, or take it somewhere safe - no one needs to have access to this."
Drunk, in a whisper still on the floor immobile: "Guys, can you please relay what's going on to me? Also, I could use a drink."
Sookie: "We need to find that phylactery. How long until he reforms?"
Rasputin: "Two days. Maybe ten. Not long."

And that's where we left off. The session started at 4 PM, combat at 4:30. Took an hour dinner break around 7, and finished combat at 11:30 PM. Seven rounds of combat in seven hours and we were all locked in and engaged the entire time. What a session!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There were nine initiative rolls - 5 for the PCs, 1 for the bound Vrock, 1 for the Lich, and 2 for his minions.

And the summoner had up to 6 devils on the board at one point.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

One of these days I need to remember how I made a caster who got free silence and free still who used invisible spell so that poo poo Just Happens around him. It was hilarious.

Be a psion that can reliably make a DC 15+power level concentration check to suppress the power display when manifesting?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Not exactly the same since you can't make people stub their toes on invisible six-inch-high walls of iron

Psionic suggestion (use telepathy to speak into their mind) to act like they stubbed a toe on an invisible six-inch-high wall of iron. That only requires level 5!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Mevil has escalated Dimension Rift three times for long distance teleportation, and it's failed twice now...

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Can I just say that demons' ability to arbitrarily add more of themselves is loving garbage design?

I always thought that any demon that was in dire enough straits to actually use their summoning ability was preferring enslavement and owing a debt to another demon to outright death and demotion upon reincarnation.

So demons don't really bother to summon other demons unless poo poo is getting real.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Do always cast no save no sr spells.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

None of the parts ended up working out, and since it's 3d printed everything has to be really blocky and thick :(
I know I saw some simple cheap D&D figs at a game store but I can't find the drat things online. There was a simple "human ranger" that almost worked perfectly. Just need a dude in a hood/robe with a bow and I'm set. But I know there's a million fantasy figure brands out there so I'm totally overwhelmed searching.

ILLYDIA MAETHELLYN is an elf ranger in the monster menagerie... close enough?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So I was looking for some :filez:, searching for D&D 3.5 advenuture module pdfs and came across this beauty:

https://www.robsworld.org/3ehsrls.pdf

Rob has been running a 3.5 campaign and has a whole mess of house rules! Check out his 63 pages of what basically boils down to "gently caress YOU FIGHTMANS! YOUR LIFE WASN'T HARD ENOUGH ALREADY!"

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If you're a stellar RPer, he'll let your character level up after just one week x character level you're attaining! And after 8 levels in a class, you can train yourself and don't have to find someone to pay to train you!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Drone posted:

There’s gotta be a goon near this guy who is willing to join his “waiting list”.

Yeah someone go make an eschew materials mailman sorcerer and blow their poo poo up.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Well there’s no magic items to be bought so all your loot is just carried around in gold coins that you can only buy mundane items or training with.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I understand the thought processes that lead to it, but it's never a good idea. As you said, it breeds contempt and furthermore it breeds the same behavior you're trying to curtail even more, even by people who normally wouldn't behave that way. Case in point:
Great player, makes great characters and RPs very well, but when faced with rules that try to force the issue instead of just talking about it like an adult, would offer up the mailman (although personally I'd go for pun-pun since it's FR :v:).
Ok what about a wizard or archivist summoner that goes malconvoker to summon evil without being evil. That would put some spice in the NO EVIL game!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The 3.5 PHB says that you gain XP, and once you have enough, you gain a level. Then it goes on and explicitly says this about training:

PHB p.58 posted:

Training and Practice: Characters spend time between adventures training, studying, or otherwise practicing their skills. This work consolidates what they learn on adventures and keeps them in top form. If, for some reason, a character can’t practice or train for an extended time, the DM may reduce XP awards or even cause the character to lose experience points.

There's literally no reason to think that once you have the required XP that you'll then need to track down a trainer to train you, that's what the adventure is for!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Grave wraiths are awesome minis! I just saw one on the reaper Facebook group recently and thought it was very cool.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
One of the guys in my Saturday group has a 3d printer he's used to make a lot of minis for our game. There's a lot of free models available, so you don't need any skill for making custom ones unless you have a dobster idea in your head.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Is this the same group/campaign where somebody got a demon addicted to heroin or something?

That Daelkyr made his own choice to take the drugs and he got himself addicted, don't go blaming that on us.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Yeah it can get pretty bad. I really like playing paladins if the GM isn’t the gotcha type, but the class has an awful lot of baggage that a player or GM can really abuse, and can mechanically screw players over pretty bad.

Barbarians can be tough with a toxic player, too, especially if the group wants to do less combat-focused stuff. But here comes Korg Pigsmasher, ready 2 fight or fart on the king.

Trip Screamerson, half-orc barbarian, is only interested in four things things - tripping every enemy and hitting them when they try to get up, screaming at every enemy until they're intimidated and flee, bathing in the "communal baths" (usually fountains in the middle of town), and applying incense-scented body oils to his golden-tanned abs.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Korg Pigsmasher and Trip Screamerson can be a ton of fun to play, but sometimes need to chill their jets if they routinely screw over the players who wanted to talk their way out of this one for once.

Ain’t nothin’ worse than a rules lawyer powergaming wizard, though.

Intimidate is a social interaction skill, and can be used for hilarious results as a type of clumsy diplomacy.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

CobiWann posted:

There’s something else out there even tougher?

:getin:

A daelkyr.

My suggestion is to summon another daelkyr and let them work it out.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

tl;dr

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 30, 2018

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not sure if 3E/4E hosed with this aspect of the cosmology, but in 2E the Modron hierarchy goes all the way up to the godhead of Mechanus; any time a higher-up modron dies, one of its underlings is automatically promoted fill the gap, with all the power and new geometric forms that implies. So yes, this has absolutely hilarious implications. :v:

I think 3.5 has them hidden away in a web enhancement instead of any splat.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

from my understanding, tabletop games is actually fairly popular in prison, but I can't recall where I read that from.

Vice had a series of articles about it. It was a good read.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Those tiles and walls look very similar, one of the players in my saturday game has a 3D printer and loves finding cool open source stuff to print out for our games.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I am enjoying your story and wish I could write half as well as you do.

My current D&D game has had some definite amazing poo poo happen but I feel like I don't really convey it well in posting the events here which is why I haven't.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
To be perfectly clear, the rod of wonder did this itself as the “rod of wonder activates itself for the remainder of combat” option triggered right before the daelkyr was called.