Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

substance1987
Mar 29, 2008

The tide of evolution carries everything before it, thoughts no less than bodies, and persons no less than nations
If quoting yourself isn't out of bounds, I'd like to quote the most notable experience I've ever had or likely will ever have with a tabletop game:

substance1987 posted:

While it doesn't hold a candle to the guy who shot someone over Warhammer 40k earlier in the thread, I remembered a bad experience of my own.

Last summer I started playing Magic: the Gathering again semi-seriously, mostly sticking to Friday Night Magic but occasionally hitting larger events. A few months back, I was attending a tournament nearby in Florida (don't want to name the shop here) and we started with quite a few players and had a cut to top eight. While I was playing, I couldn't help but overhear the game behind me - one of the players was getting louder and louder as he got frustrated with his opponent.

This game shop, like many that host tournaments, sells snacks and so on. This became relevant when the following exchange took place:

:black101: "I cast Goblin Bushwacker, kicked" (In essence, playing a creature that would temporarily make his other creatures stronger)

:hehe: "Stoic Rebuttal" (In essence, cancelling the other player's action).

:black101: "Well, gently caress you too then."

With that statement, :black101: picked up his bottle of Jones soda and smashed it over :hehe:'s head. I (somewhat foolishly) grabbed :hehe: and pulled him back over onto my table while someone else basically tackled :black101:. The police showed up, the guy is banned for life from the shop, but confusingly I don't think he has a ban from the DCI.

I've gotten irritated with people playing control decks, certainly, but never hit anyone with a bottle over it.

which spawned this reply:

Yawgmoth posted:

I guess his rebuttal was a little too stoic. :smugdog:

Which still makes me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substance1987
Mar 29, 2008

The tide of evolution carries everything before it, thoughts no less than bodies, and persons no less than nations
Collaborative storytelling in action. Writer A proposes, Writer B edits, in the end a story emerges that's mutually enjoyable. :unsmith: