Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't think he specified that the villagers did anything to offend the party besides:

• breathing
  • having things
  • being within the limits of their caprice

Yes, but on the other hand the players were:

• Vikings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

The only time I played a Star Wars P&P RPG I ended up playing the Bounty Hunter with a Machine Gun archetype, except we were breaking out of prison so we were very unarmed. For some reason, this didn't keep us from rushing into battle against a group of prison guards with blaster rifles.

As far as I remember, I made a single successful roll: to quietly subdue a passing civilian keeping her from making any noise about the band of scruffy-looking men in prison uniforms and maybe we could later use her as a hostage (I'm pretty sure we were bad people). The wild die kept exploding and I accidentally broke her neck, so we just sort of left her body for the cleaning drones to sweep up.

RIP, innocent bystander lady.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Also, Male Man, do you have any stories where your group doesn't murder innocents wholesale?

...Huh. How about that, I guess I don't.

I don't even think I've told two stories from the same group, either. Which means that I'm the only factor that links these together.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

If you give people rewards for stuff, then it reduces the perceived inherent value in the action. For example, kids are less likely to find schoolwork engaging if their parents pay them for letter grades.

Achievements encourage people to do certain stuff, but they lessen the enjoyment of the action in favor of the short-lived rush of getting an award. Choke-slamming Satan is reward enough on its own. Just let it happen.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Chaltab posted:

Is this actually true or are you making it up?

Because I've read things that say just the opposite.

Edit: Rewarding people for just doing stuff is what lowers their intrinsic motivation. Rewarding them for doing things WELL is a good motivator.

For real, although I'm necessarily simplifying things.

I'm not addressing motivation at all. Hell, achievements are probably a really good motivator. I'm only discussing how much enjoyment the players are getting out of the game.

To be fair, the overjustification effect only applies to tangible awards. I don't know whether achievements would affect as a tangible award or not, so to be on the safe side I recommend that you just compliment players for doing cool stuff. So, you know, what you already do.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Kosmonaut posted:

Nailed it. "Big and dangerous" are basically all the important attributes of a Trygon other than the fact that it burrows a lot and spits static bolts on its way into melee.

Aren't "Big and dangerous" pretty much the important attributes of everything in Warhammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

evol262 posted:

Right, because borderline behavior in a D&D game is totally worth severing a friendship over. Presumably there's some other reason they like this guy.

I believe the idea is that a non-rear end in a top hat person, when addressed directly and frankly, will try to resolve the conflict in a non-confrontational manner, because as a non-rear end in a top hat, he or she desires the friendship to continue and is willing to consider the viewpoint of others and accordingly act in a rational, mature manner.

Otherwise? No one needs two assholes.