Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LordZoric posted:

*No, the player knew nothing about this. The GM just tossed that into his backstory to further his own story he wanted to tell.
Was this purpose so he could have an Evil NPC steal that immortality, because Stolen Immortality is more dramatic than "Oh, the Villain is already immortal"?

Or would this be giving them too much credit/you never got far enough to find out?

I'll be honest though, I was expecting the BIG NO to be because it was the designated dramatic moment for the Headmaster to die. While I don't remember the details really of them, there has been a strange trend of whoever was running the plot to put somebody in peril, then get all uppity the stack of SUPER HEROES just might be able to save them.

EDIT: Some light small low quality content. Just some usual generic "Only Designated NPC can save the day, you're just doing filler" stuff. Turns out the latest case of NPC Saves The Day was to be Illyana Rasputin ganking some Demon leading a small army from behind.

Before they had narrated that outcome to us though, I had a simple question "So, when is my attack going to resolve?"

The local friendly mage had turned my Cyborg 2 stories tall. My Cyborg had just fired Godzilla breath scaled plasma flamer at the demon army and it's general.

After like, an hour, they finally agreed to resolve the attack. They declared I narrowly missed my allies and... I don't think it went anywhere near the demons, and went on to describe Illyana Rasputin Ganking the End Boss and oh look we were useless again.

I was more impressed by the fact I had apparently missed so bad I fired BACKWARDS towards my teammates who were all behind me, than I was with the unsurprising fact that us players were good for nothing but beating up an endless supply of minions until NPC or GMPC Saves Day. Or getting kicked (but not banned) off the text game for mentioning meat around our Crazed Vegan GM

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Clanpot Shake posted:

He's "in character" as a robotman completely devoid of wiles.
And here I had some vague hope that the terrorist target turning out to ACTUALLY be an evil warp slinging so and so convinced the guy Mr Terrorist was actually on the Up and Up about his claims.

"Guys he wants to blow up everything because everything is crazy and evil"
"Well that's just ridiculo-holy poo poo Warp Wielding Noble"

But that would be crazy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
An old, old friend I haven't seen in forever was brought up in conversation. Then I saw this thread title, and was reminded of something.

Our next door neighbor back in whee childhood to early teenage years was the Best Friend of my brother and I, back then I knew him as 'my awesome friend, who has that TV bigger than I am and a lot of video games and RPG stuff and Magic the gathering cards and-'. Later in life, I learned some :smith: things like "Where did his First Mom go?" Answer: She killed herself. Along with the passed along knowledge that the mothersday after that, during the night he had accidentally stepped on and killed his kitten that was sitting on the stairs. Etc.

I knew him a long time, so the exact time period this exact story was is hazy. I think I was around maybe 12? My brother is about 2 years younger than I am, and Good Friend was a few years older than me in turn.

So, Ninja Turtles. He had all those RPG books. The one in particular in this case? Mutants in the Yucatan. I saw a Snake with a safari jacket and a shotgun in the book, and was all like "Yeah, that's what I want." My brother went for a Lion, and Good Friend was GM. A Small PreGen from the back of the book went by with little incident, us stumbling through with no real knowledge of the rules but getting things done by virtue of "We are mutants with guns" and my brilliant strategy of "An invisible soldier is grappling my brother? I'm a snake! I'll squeeze them both! Lions are tougher than invisible wusses :downs:"

Then... Something all Good Friend was run after that.

The Scenario: We are kidnapped. We wake up in a lab. We are among other victims, and there is something about the scenery that ties into our situation.

A) There are jars of genitalia on the shelves everywhere (I had to ask Good Friend what "genitalia" meant :downs:)
B) Me, my brother, and all the others are missing our genitalia.

I can't remember who asked, but somebody asked, with childlike innocence and not quite grasping the horror "Then how do we go to the bathroom?"

The answer? We are suddenly struck by the need to take a whizz. But we have no package anymore. So, we barf up a fountain of piss :barf:

We didn't do RPG stuff with Good Friend after that anymore.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

That was a pretty :stare: story, but what was "Then... Something all Good Friend was run after that." supposed to be?
I meant 'Moving on from Pre done adventures, they ran something entirely their idea'. Considering things like FATAL are around, got to specify (though I had terrible wording) what's the material's fault, and what is purely a person's fault.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yawgmoth posted:

If I'm the GM and you won't show me your sheet, you aren't a player in my game. I don't have the time or the patience to deal with people like that during my free time.
I'm a fan of sheet transparency, not just the common sense of THE GM loving KNOWS AND APPROVES YOUR SHEET (even Bad GM's deserve that courtesy), but having other players know my sheet as well.

Granted, that's more to make it more easy to remind people that yes, I've had that item/skill since character creation you idiot. Or for more optimistic reasons, to remind other players I take requests for using my reaction powers in 4th ED DnD for example.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Liesmith posted:

One of the people targeted is a guy who lost out in some church politics. They rescue him, send him through the portal, and he realizes that this is something he can use to get back into the church's good graces and grab that promotion to heirarch or whatever. Welp
I know everyone is scrambling to find ways to burn the player's hopes and piss on their ashes because they have more than gear they wear or keep in a backback, but PC's can just cut and run if events go the way of "gently caress with the player's real estate!".

"Hmm, suddenly events have transpired which have completely hosed over an entire underground city full of people... Sucks to be them on that side of the portal, perhaps we should take this as a lesson to not put so much effort into being mostly benevolent PCs?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 22, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've never read any of the Star Wars EU stuff. My primary exposure is having friends or strangers spew forth about how Uber the Force is and how amazing lightsabers are and if you filthy non force user heathens so much as look at one you will automatically chop your dick off/They will just explode if a non force user tries to build them because you can't be as presices as a force user placing a focusing crystal with their bare hands. (You wield a weapon that will explode violently if a small part is off by the most infinitesimal margin, and you use it by smashing it into everything? You don't see how crazy that sounds?)

However, incidental net exposure has me forgive the EU for this (always completely ignored) little piece of Lore.

Lightfoils. Basically proof that the only reason Lightsabers are any more powerful, or at all difficult to use, is because :jerkbag:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightfoil

They are just like Lightsabers in every way except two details.

1) Sith's used to use them, and back then they were just as powerful as a lightsaber.
2) Rich aristocrats with no force powers manufacture and use them, Weaker than a lightsaber.

Anybody can use them, therefore all the reasons ever given that wielding a lighsaber is 'Like, SUPER hard, man' is bullshit.

I like to pretend the reason Lightsabers are stronger because :shrug: is that the Force is a big drama queen and if any jackoff starts swinging around the things, people might not think they are as cool anymore. So the Force is actively trying to kill people who use Lightsabers without permission.

Besides, "Not as strong as a lightsaber" just means it might take TWO swings to bisect an AT-ST down the middle, without having people scream at you "make a force roll to not kill yourself or have it explode :byodood:" every half second.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Adelheid posted:

I know very little about Star Wars, but it was always my impression that lightsabers are only used by force-sensitives because other people have blasters and guns and you need to have force powers to do the deflect-the-bullet thing, without which you basically have a normal sword against a normal gun? Not that they were hard to use but that they were stupid to use if you did not explicitly have magic powers. Is this not true?
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the PROPER case. Yeah, I can believe you need The Force to properly block blaster bolts. A more kept track of acquaintance is of that mindset, though I've never really been any of their Real Life games due to geographical locations.

But pretty much all my personal exposure to people, friends and "just some people on that game/running that game" tended to be of the mouth frothing Force User of gently caress YOU opinion.

I wasn't joking when I said they were of the 'Lightsabers will explode like a bomb if any non force user tries to tinker with one or build one. Don't you dare loving TOUCH one with your filthy non force user hands... No, you can't have a force user. No, you can't have cortosis anything.' mindset.

Fanboy Friend was more "really really convinced that they are just that cool" than "Hah, non sensitives :smug:" But basically everyone else Ive run into when looking at any Star Wars game... Fanboy friend was also the one convinced Zero from Megaman X could solo Unicron.

Still, I will always have the time in one game my Gunsmith (fascinated with slugthrowers) pulled a sweet jump to grab the ceiling cables in a toppling ruins of a ship crash. While freaking FOUR force users (Friend in that game just couldn't Force Jump ever, earlier failing to force jump to attack a Dinosaur) along for the ride all botched their Force Jumps and landed in electrified water :allears: I said my dice were fueled by the power of spite, which tended to be true (I fire my blaster pistol out of spite at the dinosaur... Well, they didn't need that dinosaur eyeball anyways).

I think that scene mysteriously dried up and nobody got back to it. I wonder why?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chaltab posted:

Considering it was with Luke's lightsaber that Han cut open the Tauntaun, they really have no excuse to be such jackasses.
Excuses don't matter to the rabid fanboys. Bring up that? Doesn't count. Bring up Boba Fett in a lightsaber duel with Vader? Doesn't count. Bring up anything in the setting/time period they are setting the game in? Doesn't count/you're not allowed to have it.

Yeah, no gaming better than bad gaming. I pretty much never even bothered finishing with chargen and walked out of internet lands so much they blur together.

I do recall one of the more sad justifications people gave for "Non force users are just as good as force users!", in whatever the hell cobbled together from pre-existing MUSH systems mechanics a game being created (Fanboy friend got me an early entrance, such as it were. Half of me knew better but my pal was trying to help set it up).

They did a staged example of with admitted by them "This guy is min maxed for combat and worthless for anything else" Non force user against some generic newbie force user. Combat Munchkin example gets to go first, and unloads Dong Extension Gun into Target Practice Jedi who doesn't even have their lightsaber out. "See? you CAN beat a force user in a fight!" :downs:

Amusingly, that's not why I just gave up mid chargen in THAT place.

"Can my mechanic have a ship?"
"It depends, what kind?"
"I want refitted SMALL troops dropship, so It's not a completely helpless target that can't take a hit. You know one that would carry a small squad but refurbished for living conditions and storage space for his workshop instead of commandos crammed in like Sardines." *thinking along the lines of Big Skyranger/Aliens Dropship/Starcraft Dropship. Or countless 10-40 passenger capacity troop transports/dropships he skimmed on wookiepedia*
"I knew it! You're trying to build a Jedi Killer!"
:confused:

Admin screams across pub channels about my wanting a doom ship. In particular, this ship. Which they apparently had convinced themselves was what I meant.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/AA-9_Coruscant_freighter

Because when somebody asks for a retrofitted troop transport for their freelance mechanic living hand to mouth, of COURSE they are talking about a 30,000 troops capacity monstrosity the likes of which you pretty much need to go into star destroyer territory to have a bigger passenger list.

Fanboy Friend pointed out how pants on head crazy that assumption was, but still had to vouch for me in "He's not an insane power gamer who thinks you are incredibly gullible, Jesus" assurance. But something that spectacularly paranoid and dumb as a fly off the handle result in chargen, means even my morbid curiosity didn't want to find out how things would go in game.

Fake Edit: Whenever I bring up most of my vauge rambling stories to a long time internet pal with better luck in his gaming, he's always wondering "Where do you even find these people?" Sometimes I reply "It's not my fault this time, I was following Friend X's suggestion."

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I know that you CAN balance both types of characters in one game (even if it's just easier to have all or nothing). But even the best mechanics in the world are no match for the power of idiots running the show. Though in whatever thing they were using in that case, their reasoning given was "Force users tend to spend most of their skill points on force powers. So non force users can have more normal skills! :downs:" Force users were also special permission required, though that didn't come into play because I left before even finishing chargen, which was before their game even got off the ground. So it was just me working on a normal, and staff making force users even at that point.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 27, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Holy poo poo this rules, every game needs an insult fighting system
You matron so hairy, Lolth's spider legs look silky smooth by comparison. SPIDER PUN COMBO DAMAGE MULTIPLIER!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'd figure at MOST in a standard not Survival focuses game, make them pay attention at level 1. You're just starting out so you got to make those Character creation funds count.

*Theoretical conversation*
"You've been firing two arrows every five seconds for the past five encounters."
"So?"
"You only bought five arrows you cheap-skate bastard. You are why I have been putting one Archer enemy in every encounter to loot."
"I hate those guys."

Got a friend meanwhile who while I keep hearing good things about their prep work for some 3rd, Pathfinder, and 4th ed DnD games they run off in Flesh and blood real world games, seems to turn off their brain when I see any character sheets for stuff we play together online (I've never been GM for anything, but I've the run combats for 4th at times).

*real conversation*
"Okay here is my Wizard sheet."
"...This is just a paste export from a character builder, it doesn't even have your initiative on it. What did you even give your wizard item wise?"
"Oh, a Staff."
"And?"
"That's it."
"I'll... I'll just write you up a sheet. What did you want as your spare spell options"
"Oh, just skip those :downs:."

This is a guy who apparently runs some stuff at Cons without it being crazy, and writes up GOOD sheets to hand people for those complete with pictures and stuff.

Speaking of Dark sun... Another friend has been crazy busy for forever, the one who wanted to run us through a gimmick Dark sun run where we're all Shardminds and Warforged (And one cannibal revenant Halfling). Still counting survival days because the sun even hates robots, but makes the goods counting a bit easier and had survival days weigh less for our weight counting needs.

Items Lazy Sheer Friend originally listed for their Invoker/Mage? Staff. That is all. Yeah I worked over that sheet too for the sake of other friend's sanity.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 5, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ximum posted:

Paul's message notification sound is Mega Man exploding.
This is where I lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Friends don't let friends play in games where random die rolls can get a PC killed.
I think they meant more along the lines of "Avoid games where failing the 'Ride Escalator' check results in you being fired out of the mall skylight, into the sun"...

Okay maybe that specifically would be kind of amazing.