Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Hey, the ships are way different, you see they change the number and shape of wings therefore

Yeah, sometime between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy they figured out a ship would still fly in space if they cut it from six wings down to four. Give it six thousand more years and they might realize they don't need wings at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Been following this thread for a while but I haven't contributed anything because I don't roleplay anymore. I just remembered a pretty good one though so let me tell you about the only time I played Shadowrun.

It was at Dragoncon in Atlanta a few years back (don't remember what year exactly but it was at least three or four years ago). I was all kinds of excited about trying new game systems but there wasn't much interest in most of them and almost every pickup game that wasn't D&D wound up getting canceled. Luckily though a friend and I managed to get into a Shadowrun game with precon characters and a published adventure. I got a street samurai, who I think was human. I seem to remember him getting the heavy weapons troll.

The adventure revolved around a rich kid who got kidnapped, and our job was basically to see if maybe his parents could save money by hiring us for less than the ransom and having us go rescue him, and if we failed, to go ahead and drop off the ransom for them because getting the kid back was what mattered. We did some digging and pretty quickly came to the conclusion that the kid had set us up, this was all a big scheme to extort money from his parents.

Since the Fixer who set us up with the job was my character's contact (level three or something like that, they told me it meant we were pretty close) it was pretty easy for us to find her and start asking very suspicious questions. When she acted offended that we thought the mission was a setup, we reasoned that she must be in on it so we decided to tie her up and interrogate her. After a while of this and us getting increasingly frustrated on our inability to browbeat her into confessing, it dawned on us that the Fixer was innocent. We had just busted into her place and started hitting her for no goddamn reason.

At that point I got really worried and had a quick exchange with the GM.

:tinfoil:: Wait a minute, a Fixer's job is to be well-connected, right?
:cripes:: Yeah.
:tinfoil:: Which means she knows plenty of other paramilitary thugs like us?
:cripes:: It's likely, yeah.
:tinfoil:: Oh poo poo. poo poo. Guys, there's no way we can leave her alive after what we've done.

Being a street samurai, I figured I'd probably have some kind of code of honor that would require me to do the deed since it was my contact and my fuckup. We snuck her into an alley behind a Piggly Wiggly (or some Shadowrun equivalent, I don't remember) and I decapitated her with my katana and we heaved the body into the dumpster and ran off.

Now the ransom deadline is coming up, we have no clues at all, and we've accomplished nothing other than murdering what I understand to be my character's best friend in all the world. Despite this nobody has yet questioned the idea that the kid is the mastermind behind all of this. We figure no problem, we'll just go meet them at the docks like we were instructed, and we'll pull some crazy hero poo poo once they show up and everything will be okay.

We get down to the docks only to find out that they sent a robot to meet us. Not a big robot we can ride or anything like that, just a little R/C helicopter type thing. It has a little door it opens up as it hovers in front of us, waiting for us to put the ransom money in. At this point we're all stumped, and with no aces up any of our sleeves we just shrug and put a penny in it. It flies off and we're completely unable to track it.

For most of the adventure the other players have been laughing their asses off and the GM has been looking a little bewildered. He says "okay... They didn't even include an ending that would fit that, so I'll just read the ending you were supposed to get because it's funnier that way." He tells us the ending in the book has the kid and his friends take us all out for cake and ice cream. He says it's the happiest ending he's ever seen in a Shadowrun adventure. Instead we have a dead kid, a dead Fixer, no pay, and two pissed-off rich parents who would surely have terrible things done to us if this were a campaign instead of a one-shot that ended with us on the docks realizing we were the demons.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Playing a game where you pretend to be pony fans fans playing a game about ponies would be kind of cool, but I get the sense that's not what you mean.

:downs:: My character whines and rolls a die.
:keke:: Okay, roll the dice to see what he gets.
:downs:: I got a seven.
:keke:: Alright, after modifiers your character rolls a natural eight.
:downs:: He reminds his GM about his +2 leather saddle.
:keke:: Yup, he reminds you a bit testily that again, he didn't forget. The GM describes to your character in stirring detail how the results of the dice roll teach his character about the importance of friendship.
:downs:: Awesome. My character starts clopping.
:holy:: My character clops with you and says "thus, the learned garner more appreciation for many of the show's subtleties."

Something like that?

Kosmonaut fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 27, 2012

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Hmm your idea seems pretty hip but I kind of want to try mine now. I've never watched My Little Pony so I think it'd be a lot of fun to get a few drunk people together to roll random dice and declare what asinine things their bronies are doing to get kicked out of the game room at the convention.

My Little Brony: Journey to the Hotel Security Office

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Colon V posted:

Didn't White Wolf already do that joke? Like, a decade ago?

You talking about the picture with the teenagers sitting around sticking daggers into their hands and rolling human bones and poo poo? I wish I could find it.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about.

Please tell me you made a Pensioner splatbook.

A smug sociopath posted:

:drat:

I love player-on-player backstabbing stories, got any more?

Kosmonaut fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 27, 2012

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

"Trygon (Whatever the goddamned gently caress a Trygon is, probably something big and dangerous.)"

Nailed it. "Big and dangerous" are basically all the important attributes of a Trygon other than the fact that it burrows a lot and spits static bolts on its way into melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Male Man posted:

Aren't "Big and dangerous" pretty much the important attributes of everything in Warhammer?

Close, but Warhammer things also come in "puny and numerous" to make the big dangerous things seem bigger and more dangerous by comparison. Though I guess they're collectively big and dangerous too.