Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Railing Kill posted:

Mage...

It was weird and cool to have an "end boss" that wasn't wall-to-wall combat (we kind of did that already with the Technocrats in the normal universe). This and the quest to defeat/transform the spirit of Imperialism were both cool because they used the system in a creative way without any combat.

Love the hell out of this! Clearly, your GM/MC/ST/WE knew they couldn't top the Technocrat fight or turning Spirit of Imperialism into the purer Spirit of Exploration, so instead of going big for the ending they went deep, with a dive into your PCs and favorite NPCs. Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Railing Kill posted:

it's been good to see happy endings both in and out of game in Hellworld Times. :unsmith:

You love to see it! :toot:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

HiKaizer posted:

So soon our First Annual Waterdeep Book Club consisting of a half-orc barbarian, gnome druid, tiefling warlock, dragonborn wizard and human bard (and attending servants) will get stranded far from home in a world very much unlike their own.

every lovely character/group idea is just a great idea in need of the right game

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Railing Kill posted:

My daughter has already told me that she intends to steal the candy bag.

This is adorable and your daughter clearly understood the assignment and you are an excellent parent :allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

senrath posted:

I have a feeling more than a few people already know the pun these days, since it's a Hearthstone card.

I don't play hearthstone and it only took me a minute to figure it out. Not as much fun as Dusa the head housekeeper in Hades tho

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Hell throw in a miner's strike if stuff gets slow

The local Mining Guild chapter can't take action against the striking miners or it will lose its royal charter, so the unscrupulous guildmaster conspires with a notorious gang of highwaymen from back South. If the striking miners are wiped out, and a group of burly folk with criminal records wander into town, the Guild will have no choice but to offer them full pardons and jobs in the mine.

Of course, that whole plan is predicated on the premise that the striking miners are wiped out by the bandits-turned-strikebreakers, and the PCs don't intervene. Isn't there a Kurosawa movie with the same setup in reverse? Hmm.
:thunk:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

midwifecrisis posted:

I like the idea of framing a TPK like it’s the end of the home release of Clue.

Well that’s one way it could have played out! But what if that wasn’t the real story?

Wait, that's not right, we didn't all fall into the spike pit. Of course I'm sure, I'm telling the story here! Uh, let me just back up a bit...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Our party went to the fair last night! =D

Rules of the Fey Fair:
    -Tickets are shared by the group and vanish at dawn
    -Don't wander the grounds alone partner
    -Do NOT accept food that wasn't paid for

Highlights of the Fey Fair (so far)
    -Petting zoo with blink dog puppies :3
    -Our wizard, a gnome wizard with 11 CON at most, tasted caffeine for the first time
    -My rogue character played "dunk the changeling" and hit the target in one
    -After the above I had four balls left; while the changeling was drying off, our wizard took their place and started redirecting my throws. With my last toss I got a crit, dunking the gnome as well
    -Visit to the fortune teller, and vague but unmistakably ominous visions of the future

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Storm of the century!

These are seriously some of my favorite posts in this thread.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Look Out Below / Petrňleo de Upton Sinclair!

Consistently the best stories in the thread, and underappreciated. Please post more pulp. I love Pulpkin.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Seems like, in a sense, the barb dodged a bullet.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

CobiWann posted:

The sign that said “this chest isn’t a mimic” turned out to be the mimic.

"There are exactly three mimics ahead," the guard who only tells lies volunteers cheerfully.

"There are mimics ahead and I don't know where," the guard who always speaks true adds sympathetically.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

If only scheduling conflicts could be solved by ten minutes of above-table talk with your group, like every other player conflict.

This sounds like it owned though. I've always wondered what it would be like to see a campaign end :(

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Admiralty Flag posted:

two of the gang types are assassins and thieves (though I can't remember the in-game names for them right now, and of course there's crossover between them; the game definitely supports a team who does loud wetwork on Tuesday and sneaky social heists on Friday).

Assassins are just assassins. Thieves are "shadows" iirc.

but the real reason I'm posting was that I read the last bit as "a team who does[...]sexy social heists on Friday"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

To end all Wars! By Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams

The tide was turned when Florence appealed to Starkweather as a fellow Australian. Surely he wouldn’t earn a place in history by using chemicals over ideals!

Every time I despair of being a Forever DM with no players I read these tales and I feel some hope :]

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
The venerable storytelling device of "exit, pursued by bear", good since the 16th century

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Playtested a game named Breach!, which is about bureaucrats dealing with cosmic crisises.

I also <Love/Enjoy/Ten out of Ten> the video game Control

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Then pulled out a purse pistol and managed to crit, downing six mooks with six bullets.

Dee-licious. A shamefully rare occurrence in a tabletop game, too; I can't think of any others that let it happen with any regularity. Though if CRPGs count, you can do it in classic Fallout, even to squads in power armor...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

At this point, Javid's player tried making a big speech, until I told him he didn’t have any fate points to resist a compel on his aspect “against all tyrants!”

:allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Luck be a Lady!

At times she has a very unladylike way of running out

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kavak posted:

"Meanwhile, Richard steams upriver into the dark heart of Irvine to find the source code of Icewind Dale 2, and James is banned from Gencon for beating a man half to death over 4th Edition"

I do love a good period piece but also I hate the period (2009)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
poo poo like that is why I don't go LFG on actual gaming forums. I wanna game with people who I'm friends with already.

Ofc most of them don't know anything other than D&D and I swore to never again run a D&D campaign.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
This seems like an opportune moment to recommend The Practical Guide To Evil. Pro read, lots of fun campaign and world-building ideas in there.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

The Practical Guide to Evil posted:

“I will address this once, because I doubt you would have brought it up if you had not already been thinking it,” [the Black Knight] said. “I will not lie to you, Catherine, or deceive you.”
I was about to butt in but he raised his hand and I paused, frowning at the fact that I had actually paused.
“Not out of a sense of honor or altruism,” he continued, “but simply because it would be foolish in the long term. It’s the way these things go, you see – if I deceived to you, you would inevitably find out I did at the worst possible moment and then avenge yourself in a way that would lead to my downfall. The amount of my predecessors that died because they failed to learn that simple, easy lesson is staggering.”
If he’d tried to sell me that he would never steep so low or that the teacher-student bond was something sacred I wouldn’t have trusted a word of it, but this sort of… enlightened self-interest? Yeah, I could buy that. The more I spoke to Black the more I was beginning to understand that everything he did he thought of in terms of costs and benefits – like a bookkeeper, if bookkeepers invaded neighbouring kingdoms and put people’s heads on pikes. And wore plate. And rode undead horses. Gods, I really hope there aren’t any bookkeepers like that out there. Creation is a scary enough place as it is.

I cannot stress enough how good this drat series is, as a story; as a dissection of good/evil and relevant tropes; as a more broad examination of narrative structure.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

photographs of a Jersey devil aren’t proof of paranormal activities.

What does it take to get some recognition? Maybe the group should bring el chupacabra in alive just to make sure.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

CobiWann posted:

... and we interfere with infernal tax agents collecting from her treasure horde without representation.

Oh, don't be like that, you have to give the devils their due

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

MelvinBison posted:

A recurring joke in my Pathfinder game is Lore: Sponsorship.

"I rolled a 23."
"Your character finds a promo code for NordVPN."

a one month free trial to Skillshare would nice if learning a proficiency didn't take like half a year and one gold per day, and D&D chars can afford it unlike most real people

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Florence found a secret staircase and headed up. Shockingly, behind a gauzy screen, among 100 lit red candles, was a gorgeous woman wearing only a ceremonial crown! She bid Florence by name… and the Aussie lesbian completely fell for it. Penny struggled to pull her away.

You're using FATE Accelerated right? Love me a good compel. What's Florence's relevant aspect?

quote:

Sometime later, the players were in the dining room of the Shanghai Century Club. Their newfound wealth should be spread, maybe at a dinner party. The only hard part was finding people to invite who were classy, un-evil, and didn’t have romantic entanglements. This may take a while.

At some point you have to settle for two out of three

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Slaughter in the Sixth City / STUMBLE in the Bronx!

Golden Bee posted:

Do my BIDDING!

Never stop posting these, regardless of the appalling lack of kudos they receive. I love your diverse cast too! Unlikely pulp heroes from everywhere in the world except New England, but including a Black baseball star from before "Black" or "African-American" were terms in common use.

Golden Bee posted:

She paused, thinking over his words, then gave him a piece of her mind. Straight onto his dress shirt.

Especially never stop posting winning lines like these

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Railing Kill posted:

Who is the antagonist? Describe him or her.
:siren::honk:An evil platypus bear with an army of turtle ducks:honk::siren:

The moment pride and terror shared by GMs and parents alike: your creation has grown beyond you. You have no control. Maybe you never did.

Good. :allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

(…) betting lines: how many seconds from when Leo opened the box until its contents destroyed him?

gently caress Around, Find Out (Malaká Difficulty)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Meanwhile, the group noticed a very particular guest… Visiting royalty, in fact. From hell.

Oh, the luchador from earlier in the adventure! Not an actual literal devil prince. I would have raised an eyebrow at that but not much more. Your crew gets up to enough nonsense on the surface of the earth that I'd figure As Below, So Further Below! was just another thing I missed

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Nerdlord Actual posted:

Seconds, Please

I'd make a joke about "one more god rejected" but it sounds like Frances was actually quite happy with her meal :)

How does Angel taste, btw? Decent pick-me-up on the road to attacking and dethroning God, again?

I do hope you keep telling stories about this game. I assume you picked something friendly to intra-party conflict? Do you have an idea for happens to the losers who sided with Law after the inevitable Bridge Too Far over Alignment Lock?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 25, 2024

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Also: these adventure summaries aren’t one-to-one who did what when; lines and actions are transposed to present an image of an adventure group where everyone always has a perfect amount of spotlight. 

It works, though! You're able to present a coherent narrative which is all the more impressive since though your main cast is like a dozen characters and yet I never have any trouble keeping them straight. Except Florence. Florence is queer as a three-dollar bill and I love that for her. A new flame and a new torch song in every port of call :wink:

quote:

With that explained, please enjoy:

I always do :allears:

quote:

Semya, devout communist and nazi hater, went through the personnel files, and learned that the plant’s manager wasn’t in. She called his home number and demanded he get to work!

Some master race. So entitled! None of them want to work! And even when they do work they're easily distracted by a hint of shoulder or thigh. Never hire a Nazi to do a person's job.

quote:

Just as Penny noticed the father and daughter, kicking a soccer ball obliviously! Captain Ivanova rolled her eyes as the Hawaiian lifeguard dove to get the citizens out of the blast radius.

Guess they were the ones running on island time :smug:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Railing Kill posted:

I also love adventures where everyone in the party is ill-equipped, mechanically. Stealth missions with no stealthy characters is the typical one. We just had one in 7th Sea that I might write up because it was a well-composed whodunit, it was hilarious, and it ended with a banger of a cliffhanger.

"Might" nothin'. Now that you've announced there's a story you can't not tell it, and indeed the whole thread will be howling for your trip report. "Might" makes "write!"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Last Friday was the culmination of the first major story arc in the 13th Age game I'm running for my friends.

Looking forward to it! These kinds of tightropes are always tough to walk, because if the time deity can just rewind everything your actions feel pointless but getting a chance to defy fate is inherently badass. Seems you did a good job! Ask me about how my DM handled a similar concept (not well).

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Captain Semya Ivanova is different from many pulp heroes. She’s not a greedy ex-con. She’s not a square-jawed South Seas captain, or a Broadway celeb solving capers that resemble their greatest hits. Doesn't use eastern martial arts to stand up to crooks and cloud the minds of men.  She has a cause, of course: international communism. But her methodology is all her own.

And we love her for it! I was sold right away just from that bit of her calling the Nazi factory foreman and demanding he drag his rear end into work. And a winning attitude like this:

quote:

The well-read Professor Callahan explained that the stolen jar could greatly expand a person’s chi. Luckily, chi was baloney and science governed the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Did Dr. Dan work with adult patients, ones who we were 13?

The way you talk about Devil in these write ups, I wasn't aware she was 13 for a looooong time. Like, well after my first appreciation post on the subject.

Golden Bee's experience running Web of the Spider Cult came up in the GM thread recently; originally the hook was a murdered acquaintance of the PCs. Bee's very simple adjustment of having the victim incapacitated instead of dead put a timer on the whole rest of the adventure, they needed to smash this cult and get the antivenin back Devika, pronto! Nail-biting stuff, I'm sure.

quote:

It wasn’t hard for Javid to put the man’s ideas on the wall behind him

Took me a couple readings to realize you didn't mean a conspiracy-nut corkboard with red string. Only part I got right was the red :drat: