Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
This was about 6 or 7 years ago, so it was topical at the time.

One of the guys in our group, "Jacob", is seriously all about enjoying his character. I'm DMing a 3.5 game and his character is a paladin, and gently caress that noise. Jacob's all "man, I like this character a lot, it's so awesome. Look at all these great stats and abilities, he's so cool." So I attack the party with Tarrasques. Like, four of them. All for Jacob. I did it all for you Jacob.

gently caress YOU JACOB

After like two rounds the Tarrasques had separated Jacob into two halves and had swallowed him. That showed him.

TGLT: HA HA HA HA HA HA

Jacob: That was kind of stupid

TGLT: YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK GOODBYE

Then Jacob totally pulled out an AK-47 and tried to totally shoot kill me but all the others were like "NO NO HE IS GOOD DM PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO KILL HIM HE M AKES OUR LIVES WHOLE"

And then Jacob stop and fell to his knees, silently praying "Please forgive me mighty DM you are the best in the land and also you are handsome and were I a women I would totally have sex with you."

And then with my DM powers I made Jacob a woman.

That showed him for playing a loving Paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah man, because making a min/maxed cleric and bragging about how you can't be killed is totally the same as playing a paladin. Way to stick it to him for telling a story! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I mean god forbid the DM just say "Hey bro, your character doesn't really fit in with the group and is probably going to make poo poo suck. Mind working with us to make it fit in better?"

Also he totally chased him with a knife over a joke.

Actually, chasing some one with a knife does remind me of one of my favorite moments while DMing. Running Rogue Trader for some friends last year, and they were exploring their ship after their Gellar Field was sabotaged. If you don't know 40k poo poo, basically the Gellar Field is the thing that keeps the ship safe from Space-Hell.

Anyways, they reach a Chaos temple that had sprung up in a time distortion field, and were trying to break through it to reach the engine room and restart their ship. Along the way they find the key (an evil orb) they need to open the door leading to the engine shrine but it's under some wards. They let the psyker check it out first, and she tells them that removing the orb will cause some sort of psychic backlash that would wound them and kill lesser men.

The person playing the rogue trader says out of character, "Oh man. I know this is awful, but this is probably what this guy would do." and then cons his NPC lackey squad into grabbing the orb. Lackey gets his soul sucked out by the orb, the party gets the orb, and the rest of the night the guy playing the rogue trader feels bad about it.

Later on they're fighting the midboss, some big robot thing, and the rogue trader's lackeys are bugging the gently caress out. One of them shoots the rogue trader to try and keep him back, which the he takes as an insult (He's a noble with a serious problem with his pride) and spends the rest of his fight killing his lackey squad while the rest of the party fight the midboss.

Afterwards I was checking in on him. He enjoyed the session but said, "Man, I kind of feel bad. This guy is awful. It makes sense he'd do it, but this guy's evil." It's the most rewarding thing for me as a DM, seeing a player develop a character in a sensible but unintended way.

Still, I think we're gonna be having a more light hearted session next time.