Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hey, read the side of the screen facing you, it says i'm a dungeon-master, not a welcoming-place-of-relaxation-master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i am in a dundom relationship with all of my other players, they come to me to be punished

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bieeanshee posted:

"I can't believe you squander such a precious resource by bathing in it."

"The wizard says the same thing."

"...The WHAT?!?"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fantasy Mad Max As Painted By Brom eats dust and pisses ziggurats but every interaction with a chubby rosy-cheeked hobbit has him sweating bullets

e:
"why are you always so freaked out by Professor Applebarrel?"

"just look how well-fed he is!!"

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 26, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

he'd think every elf student was a really ugly half-elf too.

also, presumably, that they were thieves and murderers from broken homes. and that they were all good runners.

not that he'd judge, but it'd be a continuous stream of inadvertent insults.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"you all wake up in jail without any of your gear or magic items"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

name the mouse simba and hold it up like simba and do the song

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i thought of another one: the dark sun transfer student would find most local animal-based foods to be delicious, but visually disgusting. they would be horrified by cows, pigs, sheep, goats, etc, and probably call them all by the same name, insisting that the other students are just "making up" different animals. if beef was shown and explained to them first, they would call cattle "cows," pigs "poo poo-cows", goats "small-horn cows," and sheep "cows. those are the same animal. you cannot trick me this way."

fish, they would eat with silent reverence. in fact just lie and tell them everything is a fish. call cheese "fish-milk".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

happy gaming groups are all alike, but each unhappy etc etc

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

imo people should feel free to post stories they've seen elsewhere on the internet

like this:

quote:

I have played D&D with the same group for a few years and I have decided to dm. We tend to use a lot of tropes in our campaigns so I thought I should try something “different”. My idea was to set up a very basic campaign where the players hear of a prophecy where there are the 4 hero’s of legend (there are four player) and they are destined to defeat the dark lord who attacks the world every 1000 years. So now the player believe they are the destined heroes so they voyage on this quest to destroy the dark lord but a few cessions in they hear that the dark lord was defeated by another group of adventures. The point is to shows my players that they aren’t destined heroes, I want my campaign to be open world I I thought this would show them that the world will move around them no matter what and won’t wait for them to get around to solving the problems.

good advice: make the world feel real!

reality: you hear about exciting things happening elsewhere, nothing you do makes much of a difference on them

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 4, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i can't believe it took me so long to do this

quote:

Sorry if I went on a bit of a rant here.Ok, so I have a small problem in the game I am running. I am a moderately long time narrator, but I mostly run short heavilly improvised action stories. One game is quite different though. For many years I play a game with my cousin when we meet up. It is often just 1v1 me narrating and he playing.

Several years ago he wanted romantic interest for his character, only requirement, it had to be a dragon which can change into human form. Ok, I can roll with that. I made her this badass former general of her aunt´s (dragon lord) army. She was angry with how dragon society was run, so she pretended to die in battle and joined the dragonriders of an empire which basically viewed dragons as animal companions, livestock, pets as well as gods. Their worldview was closer to her. She became a captain there too.

It was a nice arc. Which ended by my cousin completely destroying everything his love interest stood for, killing all her friends and kidnapping her! (He didn´t know the human looking captain of dragonriders was his prospect love interest, he met her only in her dragon form before then)

She also developed sort of friendship with my cousin´s character secret "fursona" (his character can change into dragon). When she discovered his fursona and his character were the same person, she was angry, but I planned some character development for her. Nope, my cousin freaked out and wiped her memory with an artifact he had. Subsequently he made his fursona look as a total rear end in a top hat when he trampled all over her worldview and basically called her opinion on everything stupid and tried to get her join his squad saying something about how his character can teach her the right opinions on things. I had to narrate her in character so she ended her friendship with the fursona, walked away and joined the dragon worshiping empire again.

They have met several times since then. But I just can not get the romance going even though me and my cousin want to. I even retconned some of her aspects to find cousin´s character´s personality imposing. But he just always acts like she is dumber than him, like his opinions on things are always better. He says he likes her „strong will“, but if I narrate her like a strong will character she always was, there is just no way she can end up with him if it goes like this.

Main problem I think is her opinion that dragon society is flawed, which it is, trust me. She fights against the dragon establisment etc.. But my cousin has a totally different vision about that, as he wrote fanfiction about the founder of the dragon race whom he retconned to poo poo from an apathetic rear end in a top hat to „One of the only few morally pure beings in the universe“ I repeatedly said to him that is not how I see it. (but I foolishly somehow retconned that founder of dragon race to please him anyway, hosed up dragon society stayed the same though).

Can I get your opinion on how to get them together? This campaign of mine is coming to an end and I don´t know how to end this plot thread.

Thank you for reading all this and for your answers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Feel free to erode your DM's game and destroy the tone for your stupid memes whenever it strikes you!

my erosion!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

there are Dray in Dark Sun that are secret underground lizard/dragon-people

e: I can't remember my sister's birthmonth